closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Most modern Tudors are ugly.

Blog Entries

Most modern Tudors are ugly.

Whilst searching the net for a Tudor Prince Quartz, for a friend of mine, I realised that most modern Tudors, especially the chrono's are actually very ugly.
    The Pelagos (to big IMHO) and Black Bay are OK watches, but the rest of the often erratic line-up is just plain ugly. The cases are to "blown up" and dials are busy.

There seems to be not much love on the forum as well, be it Ducati chrono's or Hydronaut's II.

Only the vintage stuff seems to sell.

Is it just me?, or are there other people who think along the same line?

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I agree.

But if you go back a few years:

Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Banned
    Most of them fail to hit the mark in terms of appeal, but there are some exceptions such as below.

I quite like the Heritage Chrono. Especially the blue one on a nato.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Whilst searching the net for a Tudor Prince Quartz, for a friend of mine, I realised that most modern Tudors, especially the chrono's are actually very ugly.
    The Pelagos (to big IMHO) and Black Bay are OK watches, but the rest of the often erratic line-up is just plain ugly. The cases are to "blown up" and dials are busy.

There seems to be not much love on the forum as well, be it Ducati chrono's or Hydronaut's II.

Only the vintage stuff seems to sell.

Is it just me?, or are there other people who think along the same line?

Daddel.
    Dat is als prediken voor eigen parochie Daddel.

Since the watch fora population, more so the english language part with the UK the ´worst´, is véry conservative in its taste the appreciation of the classic designs is a foregone conclusion.
    To put it into perspective Daddel; Tudor did not sell in the UK even with classic shapes and the sub brand was abandonned there.
    For the rest ugly is as much in the eye of the beholder as beauty and the world of watch buyers is WAY bigger than watch fora.

It has to be understood that Tudor is a sub brand of Rolex and that it would make no sense at all to position it as the same but cheaper.
    Rolex is the unltimate conservative thing which cannot be changed. A few mm more and all hell breaks loose!
    So Tudor is the way to get a part of a more modern piece of the pie.
    Imo the designers are doing an admirable job is creating watches that are decidedly modern yet retain a strong link to a classic heritage.

Take a look at the chronos. The Rolex is a time warp. It is an icon frozen in time and has an equally rigid image. The Tudor ones are way more flexible, more appealing to modern buyers and devoid of the ´ROLEX´ branding which is not desirable to all, less still when as ´iconic´ as the Daytona´s.

All in all I think the modern Tudors are brilliant!

Like most watches produced there will be models in the ranges that appeal to some more than others, plenty of choice, are you a Tudor owner, or just someone getting on the bandwagon knocking a brand?

I just traded my Brietling SOH for a Tudor Grantour Chrono.Its this one. http://www.watchonista.com/tudor/wat...ntour-chrono-1

I do hope you're wrong as still haven't received it yet !!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin123 View Post
    Like most watches produced there will be models in the ranges that appeal to some more than others, plenty of choice, are you a Tudor owner, or just someone getting on the bandwagon knocking a brand?
    Nope, just opening up a dicussion.

I used to like Tudor, and still miss my (old) Hydronaut, which was a classy design IMHO.

But the new range is all over the place design wise, IMHO.

Daddel.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I agree.

But if you go back a few years:

Really nice.But I've never understood the idea of guarding one crown,It would look so much nicer without

Master
    I've got a Prince chrono from about 10 or 12 years ago. It has the silver Cotes De Geneve dial (a sod to phograph properly) and I'm wishing I had got one with a Panda dial. However I do like the classic sub dial arrangement this movement gives.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JeppeRober View Post
    I quite like the Heritage Chrono. Especially the blue one on a nato.
    Agreed

I love the Pelagos and wouldn't kick the Black Bay out of bed for farting either.

However the Snowflake Sub and 79260 "Daytona" chrono are high points for me.

Last edited by andy tims; 28th February 2014 at 06:40.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Banned
    Well daddel as a Tudor brand lover I must admit some of their pieces are over too busy yes, but who had Black Bay or Pelagos in his hand or better on his wrist will agree that it is a special beauty..

I have to disagree about the Pelagos, I think it's one of the nicest looking and sized watches I have seen for a long time.

I just can't get past the really ugly hour hand 'blob'

Hmm I think the Pelagos is a great looking watch and my big block Daytona is even better.

I have both a Pelagos and vintage-1979 Snowflake Sub Date. Both very different, both gorgeous in their own way

Master
    Don't agree with your thoughts Daddel. They're not drop-dead gorgeous, but they're a long way from being ugly.

I see quite a few Tudor in Berlin and, to me, the range falls into 3 areas

1. Heritage - Black Bay, Pelagos (inasmuch as it's also a tribute to the Snowflake), all three Heritage chronos and the Advisor
    2. Some amazingly over-fussy chronographs with impossible-to-read dials. Black rider included
    3. A dull range of vaguely blingy and conformist dress watches (sorry, 'Howdy), some of which are quite good value. My local AD had one in the window up until last year for €750 for absolute ages which is an indication that even non-WISes don't like them either.

It's a brand and range of watches (ok, not all) that I'm very fond of. Once you start looking at the Oyster-cased range I believe they start giving 80-90% of Rolex quality for a third of the price. You have the added advantage that, if Rolex start playing manufacture silly games with parts, this will not affect your Tudor. There are probably other, equally valid, views but this is as I see it.

I have a Snowflake and it's one of my favourite watches.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Some lovely chrono's, but no newer stuff...............

Daddel.

I totally agree in all your points! I have the exact same opinion about Tudor!

Craftsman
    For every person who thinks a watch (regardless of the brand) is ugly, another will like it so for me it's all about what you like.

When I started my watch hunt a few months back, I tried Omega, Rolex and Breitling to name but a few. The only watches I tried that really gave me the shivers and the 'feel good factor' were the Omega PO with orange strap and the Tudor Black Bay with the distressed strap.

The deal on the Black Bay was what sealed it for me and I don't think I'd be any happier had I gone for the Omega. I also like the fact that they are still pretty rare here.

It's all very subjective though isn't it? You see people on here raving about their vintage purchase whilst reply after reply compliments the 'stunning watch' etc. - I don't 'see' what they see but I understand that just because I 'don't get it' doesn't mean it isn't their perfect watch.

Each to their own n all that.