closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just can't fall in love with the current Explorer II. Anyone else?

Master
    It's a fantastic piece to look at (and a massive improvement IMHO over the smaller version). However, I bought a black one new in November 2011 having waited for what felt like an eternity, and it sat in a box for a LONG time. I had other choices that I was already comfortable with which got worn instead, but I think it would make a great everyday watch.

Master
    I wear mine a lot....especially when travelling....

Such an easy watch to read

Master
    I really like the older explorer II with the white dial, but never really fancied the black dial.
    Not tried on the newer larger one, but thinking about swapping my subC ND for one

while my older model is still kept in the box..the new version is never on my wish list

Craftsman
    When looking for a new watch I was certain that the new ExpII was for me, until I tried it on.

Don't get me wrong it has it's merits but it just didn't feel right and having already tried on the old ExpII (which I loved), it put me right off getting one.

Luckily I happened to stumble across the new GMTIIc which I snapped up (much more my style) and haven't looked back!

Master
    I can admire all Rolex sports in one way or another and the new ExpII is no exception but i do prefer the old model. The hands on the new are a little bloated and shrink the dial size. I'd be interested to see what it looks like with smaller hands,i'm certain it would make all the difference to the overall impression of the watch.

Personally I think the updated case and bracelet is a big improvement. It looks really sporty and makes a nice change from default Sub or GMT choice. The question for me is does it go with a formal shirt sleeve as I spend all of my working day suited and booted? Perhaps the Sub and GMT is slightly better in that respect...

Blog Entries
    I love the white dial, trying to source another for a good friend of mine so all those that can't bond with it, drop me a PM and you can happily explore SC with £thousands of jacks cash:)
    He may even consider the black dial if the price is right.

Craftsman
    I love the size of the 42mm explorer, perfect for me, i am hoping one day they do the same for the sub or sea dweller, would be perfect then

To me it was perfect in theory, but when tried it on... nothing, and thats sad, cos it's a beautiful watch.

Master
    I don't care for it. It's by far the "most Maxi" of the new Maxi-dial watches and I find it a bit too much.

I like that Rolex are now making more pronounced differences between the GMT Master and Explorer II. They are now two very different watches rather than variations on a theme.

It's 42mm, but still has the more tapered lugs from before the ceramics appeared, so I'm wondering if it really wears much bigger than a SubC or GMTIIc or not?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    while my older model is still kept in the box..the new version is never on my wish list

Looks like you have a double Cyclops in that picture, and one of 'em is magnifying a minute hand, strange!
    Could be my eyes though.

Master
    Oh, and one piece of feedback I got from a non-WIS was that it looked like a Breitling (reflecting the more blingy nature of the new one other the old). I personally like the satin/matt black dial with orange highlights which I personally think are understated and spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    I like that Rolex are now making more pronounced differences between the GMT Master and Explorer II. They are now two very different watches rather than variations on a theme.

It's 42mm, but still has the more tapered lugs from before the ceramics appeared, so I'm wondering if it really wears much bigger than a SubC or GMTIIc or not?
    I have a Sub C and the 42mm Explorer II.

The new Explorer II wears a lot bigger than the Sub. Although I like the watch, it's probably just a bit big for me (and my girly 7" wrist), which is why I'm about to put a WTT up to see if someone fancies swapping their GMT IIC for the Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    older model much nicer, the new model looks to toy like, tried on a new model twice now, and its not for me.
    "Toy like." Exactly. Not in an awful way, if that makes any sense. The hands are just a bit too thick, too black, too orange. Or maybe just a little too modern. Maybe even a little too IKEA.

All just my opinion, of course. Overall it's lovely and I see why people like them.

I loved the look of the new polar version, but when I tried it on it wore so much larger than the previous version I've held off for the moment.

Never say never as it might grow on me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dbt001 View Post
    "Toy like." Exactly. Not in an awful way, if that makes any sense. The hands are just a bit too thick, too black, too orange. Or maybe just a little too modern. Maybe even a little too IKEA.

All just my opinion, of course. Overall it's lovely and I see why people like them.

Too IKEA lol but I know what you mean man.

The bracelet taper turned me off of the current one.

Craftsman
    Bought a NOS Explorer black face from WF and thought it was a super piece, perfect size and a watch for all occasions. I find the orange marker a bit too obvious on the new version.

Fell hard for the "Polar" from the go.
    Mine was one of the very first to sell in Sweden, still love it and it is close to perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by dbt001 View Post
    More "Early Learning Centre" than "Ikea" in my book :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Loved the pictures. Bought one. Wore it a few times. Sold it.

As said above, I think they look great in photo's but just don't do it on the wrist for me.

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Fell hard for the "Polar" from the go.
    Mine was one of the very first to sell in Sweden, still love it and it is close to perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Lovely photo.

Quote Originally Posted by JakubL View Post
    Too IKEA lol but I know what you mean man.
    And believe it or not, I don't mean that negatively; I love IKEA. I just mean bolder, brighter, more minimalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward77 View Post
    I prefer the older version. It's an interesting watch - it really polarises opinions.
    yes good point about it polarising opinions, while some people seem to like both previous gen and the current ceramic subs or gmt's and explorer 1's sometimes, opinions on the new/old exp2 seem mostly divided

i also prefer the 16570 for the proportions of it's case bracelet and dial elements, while i can appreciate the improvements engineering/quality wise on the 216570 and other current models over the previous generations (new bracelet etc) the new exp2 design is not so much to my taste