closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Complementing someone on their watch

I work in clothing retail, expensive stuff, so most of my customers have nice watches, mainly Rolex.

I rarely comment on peoples watches but when someone has something interesting on I can't help myself, the reactions have been mixed but most of the time people are flattered that I noticed, haven't met a fellow wis yet though.

Usually the really interesting ones have been inherited, (i'm a vintage fan) one guy had a double red sea dweller on that I had to comment on, he'd been given it by his uncle and had no idea what it was, just a rolex to him!

Journeyman
    Being female and American, I find it a bit easier to compliment people and their watch and clothing choices than my British male friends, but I agree with time and place. Like pick-up lines; how, when, where are important. Expensive watch, late night, on a bus? Keep it to yourself. I tend to be wary complimenting men's watches as well because there is definitely a tendency for the guy to assume I am hitting on him/gold-digging.

And I have seen loads of hilariously bad and amazingly good non-Rolex fakes...
    Some of the really bad:
    Breitling Bentley Mulliner Tourbillon: hilariously bad, obviously stainless steel with plexi and solid case back.
    Breitling Navitimer meets Bentley with an iridescent purple dial, once again with plexi.
    Tag Carrera with obviously cracked plastic bezel, plexi and really awful bracelet.
    Makes me wish I had pictures.
    My favourite is when they stick the fake in my face and ask me what I think.

If I see someone wearing an interesting watch I will very often comment.

Never had a negative reaction yet.

But then I am extremely urbane and charming in real life, so it isn't an issue.

So clever my foot fell off.

As others have said, context is key.

As is the watch.

If it's a Rolex, Omega, Hublot, Audemars Piguet, Bvlgari, etc. I rarely say anything as they might be fake, owner might be worried about being mugged, and lots of non 'watch people' buy them, so the conversation might not go too well.

If it's a niche watch brand I'll be more inclined to have a friendly chat.

Craftsman
    I only compliment someone's watch if I happen to be wearing the same (or very similar model) at the time. Something to the effect of: "You have impeccable taste in watches sir!"

has to be fairly off piste for me - I don't comment on high street as a rule.

Ploprof, Glashutte Original Panomatic, Patek are a some I've commented on.

Master
    Few weeks ago I was buying a train ticket at my local station, the ticket officer spotted my watch and asked 'is that a Sea-Dweller?' We then chatted about watches briefly (didn't want to hold up the queue for long!)

Think that was the first and only time a complete stranger has commented on a watch I'm wearing..

I have no problem complimenting a stranger on a watch or receiving one. Goes without saying that
    It shouldn't make the other person uncomfortable or sound inappropriate.

I was in the sauna the other day and said to someone 'I love your bullhead's, mind if I take a close-up look at it, is it heavy?'

After that it was all a bit blurry until I woke up in A&E.

Sincerely complimenting someone for something that one finds of interest is surely not a problem is it, context, moderated enthusiasm and congruence are always useful one would have thought. If one comes across as a stalker and it was not your intention my guess is it is time to seriously brush up on your communication skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I was in the sauna the other day and said to someone 'I love your bullhead's, mind if I take a close-up look at it, is it heavy?'

After that it was all a bit blurry until I woke up in A&E.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by toezapper View Post
    Sincerely complimenting someone for something that one finds of interest is surely not a problem is it, context, moderated enthusiasm and congruence are always useful one would have thought. If one comes across as a stalker and it was not your intention my guess is it is time to seriously brush up on your communication skills.
    This. There's a time, place and appropriate delivery for everything.

Watches are (wedding rings notwithstanding) arguably the only piece of jewellery that are universally acceptable for a man to wear. I think it's perfectly fine to compliment someone on their watch, in the appropriate context. I think most people would take the compliment as it was intended.

Whether I'd complement a chap on his hair, shoes, clothes or any other aspect of his appearance - well, probably not; the odds of such a comment being received in the spirit it was intended are substantially poorer.

Watches are not jewellery. They're timepieces... and as for any other kind of jewellery it's "acceptable" for a man to wear, I decide what's acceptable for me. Others opinions mean nothing. So there.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Watches are not jewellery. They're timepieces... and as for any other kind of jewellery it's "acceptable" for a man to wear, I decide what's acceptable for me. Others opinions mean nothing. So there.
    Any watch costing more than a few quid is jewellery, that also happens to tell the time.

And yes, watches are pretty much universally accepted. Almost all other adornments are all viewed with various degrees of disapprobrium.

The only watch I have ever been complimented on is (embarrassingly) an old TAG 2000 beater.

My FD said "nice TAG, looks just like mine........ is it real?"

When I said it was, he responded "Yeah right"

He's obviously very proud of his and thinks that it gives him some sort of status, didn't have the heart to tell him you can pick them up for peanuts

One guy at my last place always asked what I was wearing and particularly liked the Speedmaster.

The only person who's mentioned a watch at my current work complimented me on my £200 Tissot PRC200!

Just goes to show, REAL people aren't impressed by a name

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderJameson View Post
    Any watch costing more than a few quid is jewellery, that also happens to tell the time.

And yes, watches are pretty much universally accepted. Almost all other adornments are all viewed with various degrees of disapprobrium.
    I'd agree. Watches ARE jewellery, we just convince ourselves that they're not because they have a function too, but on a forum where men openly discuss the best shoes, I don't think we need to feel too insecure about our manliness by wearing jewellery - Sometimes I wonder if I've wandered into a forum discussing the scripts for a future series of Sex and the City!

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 20th August 2014 at 10:29.

Listen metrosexuals, you may want to touch your pink girly side by believing a watch is man jewellery, that's fine if you like bejewelled precious time tellers but I am a bloke and I wear a timepiece - to tell the time. It's as much a piece of jewellery as the belt holding me kegs up and the boots on my feet.
    Gray

Listen metrosexuals, you may want to touch your pink girly side by believing a watch is man jewellery, that's fine if you like bejewelled precious time tellers but I am a bloke and I wear a timepiece - to tell the time. It's as much a piece of jewellery as the belt holding me kegs up and the boots on my feet.
    Summing things up nicely

Master
    I have received comments about watches on my wrist - usually a case of mistaken identification. Did you know that a £30 Pulsar chronograph from Argos is often mistaken for a TAG Heuer? Something for the TAG owners to contemplate maybe :-)

Although I notice other people's watches I haven't commented on them, other than immediate family.

Master
    A Compliment of Sorts - A few weeks ago while getting a rather large wisdom tooth extracted by a very petite female dentist at the height of the discomfort and with my mouth full of pliers I glanced up into her eyes for a glimmer of reassurance that all was going well only to see her staring at my Seadweller that was attached to my wrist which was attached to the hand that was gripping the arm of the chair for dear life!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    I have received comments about watches on my wrist - usually a case of mistaken identification. Did you know that a £30 Pulsar chronograph from Argos is often mistaken for a TAG Heuer? Something for the TAG owners to contemplate maybe :-)

Although I notice other people's watches I haven't commented on them, other than immediate family.
    Don't they use the same Seiko movements ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Red face Thankyou Eddie!!!

I was on holiday recently, when a beautiful Swedish lady, long blond hair and even longer legs asked me the time, I replied and she complimented me on my 82 :))
    Made my day.

Craftsman
    I think I've only spoken to people about their dive watches when on a dive boat and can't think of any time it's come up in conversation elsewhere.

Equally, the only time I've had my watch commented on was at Sandals when we walked over to the dive centre and the first thing the centre manager said was something along the lines of "you both look like serious divers". I was wearing an Apeks 1000m, complete with lanyard, and my wife a Suunto dive computer.

My wife, on the other hand, gets regular comments on a Calvin Klein fashion watch she's got that's designed to look like a silver (or gold, she's got both versions, though for some reason it's the silver one that gets the attention) bangle and you can only see the dial from a very specific angle as the crystal is silvered. Hopefully she'll get a few on her Tudor birthday watch when she gets to 40 - if nothing else it might take the sting out of that birthday!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    I've seen a Rotary chrono being sold on the bay as the person got fed up with being asked if it was a Breitling. In cream, with a brown leather strap, they do look pretty similar at first glance.

Listen metrosexuals, you may want to touch your pink girly side by believing a watch is man jewellery, that's fine if you like bejewelled precious time tellers but I am a bloke and I wear a timepiece
    You keep right on telling yourself that :)

Of course I will defer if you're rocking a Casio FW-91.

To me it does depend on the situation you are in.

In my old job I was customer facing and with a few regular's I would strike up conversations on their AP, Panerai ect. Saying that it was whilst I was wearing my old G Shock with a negative display that a customer noticed, and ending up in conversation that he restored old Casio's and Seikos.

Current job is office based, and previously mentioned I noticed a colleagues Logines blue faced hydroconquest and was excited and pleased that someone had noticed it. There are a few who I work who know my interest and regularly talk about what I'm wearing (saying that the U Boat is hard not to notice I guess) the boss and his Seadweller and lust for a Royal Oak and mine for a Pam. (I keep hinting that should be my bonus, but they don't listen)

Friends and family all have a common interest in watches so conversations are generally struck up.

Joe public/ stranger not so sure, I'm pretty shy and think it could possible come across as weird.

But if already in conversation wouldn't feel strange.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderJameson View Post
    You keep right on telling yourself that :) Of course I will defer if you're rocking a Casio FW-91.
    I had to look that up. If you mean F91W, I don't do CBP watches - or string for a belt or plastic boots
    Gray

My dentist and chiropractor always comment on my watches. The dentist liked the 2254 on mesh he'd never one seen it close up. My chiropractor loves Eddies Everest when on a nato. When ever I go she asks if I still have it, if I'm not wearing at the time.
    My Dreadnought got loads of comments, as did the Baby Ploprof.

A colleague of mine used to wear a huge Oris to meetings when he wore cufflinked shirts. It frankly looked ridiculous, but I just smiled, I tend not to wear tight cuffs with my Tuna in case others think the same.

I met with the Duke of Gloucester a few years ago, his body guards wore CWC with regimental natos. I was also wearing a regimental nato (on my diver) which I saw them clocking!