closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Complementing someone on their watch

Master

Complementing someone on their watch

In the last couple of weeks I've complemented 2 people, one male, one female, on their timepiece. You would have thought I'd told the female receptionist she looked like Miss world, she was over the moon. It was nothing in the top price bracket, a Chris Ward coral as it turned out but wore really well on her.

The guy I spoke to had an old Seiko, day date, not sure what model but again he was really taken aback by the fact I had even noticed it.

Is it so unusual to comment on a watch someone is wearing. Does it happen to many of this learned collective?

I rarely comment on other peoples and dont particularly like it when people comment on mine. The exception being if I know them well or there is watch related business going on for example I sold a display box last year and we had a chat about the buyers Speedy and my Vostok

Master
    Strangely, outside of friends etc, it's not happened here in the UK but had several conversations with people about watches in the USA when I was at IT conferences the last couple of years. I noticed one chap sat next to me was wearing a Sinn - never seen one "in the wild" so had a quick chat and he was pretty enthusiastic about it. And similarly had another chap talk to me at lunch one day and compliment me on my Speedmaster Professional, which was really nice. Again he seemed to be an enthusiast - think he said he had one himself :)

Blog Entries
    Sometimes you really think that you've found somebody with at least a little interest in watches because of the watch they are wearing. When this is the case I dare start a conversation or make a compliment.

I'm mostly wrong, they are surprised and just bought it because they liked it and needed a new watch............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Does not really happen in the UK but I have had it a few times when I have been in the US.

I've only done it once or twice... I remember complimenting a youngish lad on his choice of a Speedy and discovering it had been left to him by his father, and once I noticed someone wearing an Accutron - you cant let that go buy unremarked!

Depends on the circumstances, I visit lots of Motor-dealers and talking about their watches is frequently an ice breaker.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I've had more conversations about my 1969 speedy (a birth year watch for me) in two weeks than I've had about my sub in nearly 5 years. That watch has character and it is always a talking point. I love my sub too but it is just not noticed in my experience (and that's good).

Master
    I've complimented others on their watches a few times with mixed reactions.
    Oddly enough twice it has been about an orange planet ocean - first chap works for the same company as I do - he bought his because it was orange and that was the end of that conversation. The second chap was servicing our office coffee machine - I mentioned his watch and he was proud of it and happy to chat. He was also interested in what I was wearing at the time - a PRS29a.

The watch I've received the most compliments for is my Christopher Ward orange C60. Maybe it's just something about the colour orange.

Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    I've complimented others on their watches a few times with mixed reactions.
    Oddly enough twice it has been about an orange planet ocean - first chap works for the same company as I do - he bought his because it was orange and that was the end of that conversation. The second chap was servicing our office coffee machine - I mentioned his watch and he was proud of it and happy to chat. He was also interested in what I was wearing at the time - a PRS29a.

The watch I've received the most compliments for is my Christopher Ward orange C60. Maybe it's just something about the colour orange.
    The only comment I've had about any of my watches was about my Orange Monster. The comment was along the lines of "What the bloody hell are you wearing on your wrist". So yeah, it could just be down to the orange colour!

I very rarely comment on strangers' watches. Most people have no special attachment to their watches, it's the same as a piece of clothing.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeppeRober View Post
    I very rarely comment on strangers' watches. Most people have no special attachment to their watches, it's the same as a piece of clothing.
    One has to be wary. This was discussed a while ago, and a tale from the other TZ is worth repeating:

Not sure it's such a good idea to judge the entire worth of an individual on the basis of something so narrow-interest... But if I somehow and without extreme social awkwardness discovered someone wearing a 1967 Citizen Crystal Seven with the sunburst silver dial and cushion case, I might tell him my granddad bought the same one in Singapore on a visit to see old army friends in the 60s.

By the way, James Dowling of The Other Timezone tells a good story about getting into a lift with someone wearing a vintage metres-first Rolex Speedy Dweller crackle-dial pre-CBS Moonwatch Pro something or other. I forget. On commenting how refined and discerning the wearer must be, the fellow announced "I'm not gay." pressed the button for the next available floor and got out early. So just be careful out there.

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I always think it's good to find someone to talk to about watches 'in the wild' ie. away from forums.

Afterall, it's what we are all interested in and is always nice to chat to someone who knows what you're wearing and appreciates your comments too.

Was in a toddler group thing the other week and spotted a guy wearing an skx007 on a nato, must be a WIS surely?! Was tempted to comment on it but my daughter had a melt down so never got the chance!

I usually say something if the watch looks interesting. People are really pleased and flattered, some people have said that the first time anyone's even noticed it which can dismay them if they love it, WIS or not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Depends on the circumstances, I visit lots of Motor-dealers and talking about their watches is frequently an ice breaker.
    So you can spot a fake Tag a mile away

OP, you're just plain weird.

I find I check out people's watches these days, but unless it was someone I was at least on speaking terms with I wouldn't comment on them and I think I'd find it a little uncomfortable if a stranger did on mine, to be honest.

There was a two-tone Rolex opposite me this morning on the train, but it was horrible so I wasn't going to say that to a stranger was I?

Someone a few weeks ago was wearing a blue Longines Hydroconquest just like the one I had on, but even then I didn't say "Look, we've the same watch!" - I stopped doing that when I went to Junior school...

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    So you can spot a fake Tag a mile away

OP, you're just plain weird.

There's certainly tons of Rolex out there, real and fake.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I'd never, ever complement someone on the watch they're wearing.

I may compliment them on the watch they're wearing to complement their outfit, however.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I'd never, ever complement someone on the watch they're wearing.

I may compliment them on the watch they're wearing to complement their outfit, however.
    Unless it's on a Deployment, presumably?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I guess it could be taken the wrong way by people that you intend to compliment. "Hey mate, nice watch" could mean:

a) I admire your choice of timepiece.
    b) That looks expensive, I'm going to follow you and take it.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    There's certainly tons of Rolex out there, real and fake.
    really car salesman?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Unless it's on a Deployment, presumably?

M
    Is that Deployment or Deployant.........don't forget this weeks grammar lesson! :-)

I won't say anything to a complete stranger in the street but i have spoken to strangers at work about their watches.
    Out of the watches i own the only one that seems to get noticed is my Speedy.
    I think Rolex owners get nervous, thinking you are going to mug them later.

Master
    I've had a few funny looks when I've tried to 'clock' someone's watch (see what I did there ?) .
    I'd say I've only ever said anything if it's something really out if the ordinary that must take some interest to wear - young guy with quality vintage or people with rarer brands you can't just stumble upon .

The only person who has said anything about my watch recently was this guy in Malaysia who accosted my while I was walking past a market. He pointed to my 42mm Explorer II and whispered "Nice watch! ...we have the new version now... Much improved. Come and see.". I asked what he meant by " new version". He told me that while my watch was nice, it was the old nasty replica, and the new fake now has all the bells and whistles.

So yeah, the only person who has complimented me on a watch recently assumed it was an old crusty fake. He probably would have felt sorry for me if I had told him it was the genuine article...

As for me, yes, if I do know the person I may compliment hem on their watch, if it's something nice.

Banned
    I complemented the guy on his quartz chronograph, in a well known car rental place near me, and we got talking... long story short, my medium sized Ford Focus rental got upgraded to a Mercedes E-Class Cabriolet AMG Auto with 1500 miles on the clock, for £44.

from now on its going to be a thing il try to do more often.

Hmm just a bit too creepy to a stranger IMO. Then again, if she's a pretty wee thing it could be a good opener LOL.

Only had it done twice to me, and both in ADs - one was enthusiastic about my Doxa and another got a bit wet over my gilt 5513. Luckily, she was female

Master
    Blog Entries
    The clerk at my local sub PO always remarks on whatever i'm wearing if visible, he's an enthusiast for sure. The problem with return compliments is, he is very proud of his fake Rolex collection, citing they look the same but cost much less...........he seems to favour the green sapphire Milgauss of the ones i've seen on his wrist.

Personally i tend to not mention others watches, unless i know them to some extent.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I don't unless I am already having a conversation with them and it seems appropriate,or I already know them.

Master
    I nipped in to Copes in Nottingham today to look (for the third time) at a Speedy I am thinking of buying in their Omega liquidation, I was wearing my bullhead, I spent a very enjoyable ten minutes chatting with the owner who knew as much about my watch as I did (which not blowing my own trumpet is no mean feat).

Whilst there I got chatting to a gent who was 78, he has six Omegas (all Connies and 60's/ 70's dress watches), he has used copes for 'as many years as he can recall' he was wearing an 18K Pie Pan and collecting a 9K De Ville which had just come back from service, I took my time to compliment him on his watches and have a chat with him about them, as I bid him farewell he thanked me and told me it was so nice to meet someone of my generation (i'm 36) who not only knew his watches but took the time to have a gentlemanly conversation!

Made my day!

Grand Master
    Does anybody here think it's appropriate to compliment a strange man on his choice of cufflinks, lapel angle, cravat or shoes? Because that's being discussed on other forums right now, and they think it's normal. Just saying, like.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Does anybody here think it's appropriate to compliment a strange man on his choice of cufflinks, lapel angle, cravat or shoes? Because that's being discussed on other forums right now, and they think it's normal. Just saying, like.
    Today I mentioned to a supplier of ours how nice his suit was. He was ever so pleased :)

I didn't mention his nasty, over-sized fashion watch though :(

British men are more awkward about compliments than most other people I come across.

My situation is a bit different as I meet thousands of people every year who come to see me at cons, and some compliment me on a watch, and I've even struck up a friendship with a guy who came to buy a drawing and we ended up talking about watches. I also often compliment people waiting at my table if they wear something interesting. Last year when I was in Singapore at a comic convention you could've mistaken it for a watch show as almost every person who came up to me had a high end watch on. I suppose some could've been fakes, but some were certainly not.

I'd never complement someone on their watch. Instead, and somewhat pathetically, I cannot help staring, taking the odd quick sidelong glance and generally drooling over a nice piece of wrist-candy. My GP had a cracking panda dial speedy pro on a while back - once I clocked it I completely lost my train of thought and was utterly incoherent. He must have thought I was a total gimp. I should just man-up in such circumstances and say "nice watch".
    Last edited by rasputin; 25th February 2014 at 20:21.

Blog Entries
    I've done it with male patients since starting at the NHS, can be a great ice-breaker of a conversation and can take their mind off the bad stuff that they're going through at times.
    Last edited by gregory; 25th February 2014 at 20:28.

Craftsman
    I think if its something away from the normal stuff then its ok. Just like if some one had an unusual or interesting car. I wouldn't necessarily strike up conversation in the que at Tescos though.

Mike Brewer noticed my Milgauss when I met him filming the new series of Wheeler Dealers and we had a brief chat about watches. He's had a Daytona on in more than one episode of the programme.

The only other time anyone's really said anything was a couple of weeks back when I had a nice chat with a guy I was working for about his Patek Nautilus. Turned out he'd owned a string of other watches that would qualify him as a WIS, and he too had spotted my GV.

Other than that, I've mostly ended up sparking up conversations about Speedy Pros that have turned out to be fakes!

Master
    IMHO there is nothing more flattering than a compliment from another man on something you are wearing, be that watch, cuff links, shoes whatever. I was at the V&A a couple of weeks back and was complimented twice, once on my Westwood shoes and once on my Burberry Mac, the mac comment made my week as it was owned previously by my wife late grandfather and I had my tailor alter it to the same design as my other modern mac! Then whilst looking round had a further comment from a guy asking how old my oysterquartz was! Cheered me up no end that day!

Journeyman
    I have had some lovely conversations with people when I have commented on their watches. From a guy in the post office to an owner of a carpet shop.

I always do that when a watch is interesting, especially to ladies, but never to complete stranger.
    Must have some initial contact before.
    Always have nice response, IMHO people like decent compliment.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Today I mentioned to a supplier of ours how nice his suit was. He was ever so pleased :)

I didn't mention his nasty, over-sized fashion watch though :(
    That highlights another dichotomy. On suitzone-uk.com (or whatever), that man is the epitome of style and urban panache. On tz-uk.com, he's a deluded, undiscerning fool. Just wondering, if you frequent both and buy into the single-issue hype, what happens - does your brain explode? :)

Master
    No one has ever commented on my watches, I don't think the average Joe cares ;)

Master
    Some really polarized views on this one and glad I posted it. Some views are clearly bordering on an uncomfortable almost homophobic fear of mentioning a fellows watch.

I personally view it as complementing any other accessory whether it be a car or choice of pooch. I do quite a lot of game shooting and it is commonplace to be complemented on choice of shotgun, tie or as mentioned , cufflinks.

I think part of the inhibition is naturally English.

For myself I would be quite happy for a stranger to complement me on a watch I was wearing and would in no way view it as sinister or slightly perverse

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    Some really polarized views on this one and glad I posted it. Some views are clearly bordering on an uncomfortable almost homophobic fear of mentioning a fellows watch.

I personally view it as complementing any other accessory whether it be a car or choice of pooch. I do quite a lot of game shooting and it is commonplace to be complemented on choice of shotgun, tie or as mentioned , cufflinks.

I think part of the inhibition is naturally English.

For myself I would be quite happy for a stranger to complement me on a watch I was wearing and would in no way view it as sinister or slightly perverse
    Is English your second language? Cos at the moment you keep on telling us you dress to match some random strangers attire which is rather odd, even for a watch forum (which in real terms is pretty freaky!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Is English your second language? Cos at the moment you keep on telling us you dress to match some random strangers attire which is rather odd, even for a watch forum (which in real terms is pretty freaky!)
    Eh?
    Is understanding of English difficult?

I can't see anywhere that I've said I dress to match anyone? I've said I complemented 2 people on their watch. The rest of the thread I've left to everyone else. I've summarised it by saying I don't view complementing someone's watch any different to complementing their choice of car, dog or any other personal item.

Maybe you need to re read the posts

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    Eh?
    Is understanding of English difficult?

I can't see anywhere that I've said I dress to match anyone? I've said I complemented 2 people on their watch. The rest of the thread I've left to everyone else. I've summarised it by saying I don't view complementing someone's watch any different to complementing their choice of car, dog or any other personal item.

Maybe you need to re read the posts
    Evidently one of us does find English a little tricky...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Evidently one of us does find English a little tricky...
    Well your from the south and I'm from the north so there's bound to be some sort of language barrier !

Master
    Me thinks that quite possibly someone might be having a dig at your use of the word Complement as opposed to Compliment.

The grammar police are everywhere!!

Paul

Master
    Oh dear, we had better not start that one......it's a brave man who picks up on a one letter spelling error and must then need to ensure every subsequent posting is grammar perfect!