closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Last Goodbye.....

Hybrid View

The Last Goodbye.....

Yesterday I went to the Shildon Rail Museum to see the last six A4 Pacific class engines seen together for the last time. The occasion was to celebrate the Mallard's world record of 126mph set 75 years ago.
    It took us over an hour queuing to get near them and over the week, thousands have visited.I took my Grandsons to see them so they could get close up to these marvels of steam... what a great day it was too to be there.

Anyway a few pics.....

Waiting in the queue...

Getting closer...

Finally....

Harry, my Grandson at the helm!

It was a great show to see these engines together for the last time.... The boy's and I certainly enjoyed it.

Rod

Craftsman
    Magnificent looking engines. Was one of them used on Top Gear for the race between the train, car and motorbike?

Master
    Nice to see, I well remember seeing the Flying Scotsman thundering through Hartlepool Railway Station one day in the mid '70s. And thanks for posting photos from Shildon; my dad was born there but I confess I don't think I've ever been there myself.

Was talking to a pal in the local earlier who had a drive down, horrendous queues just to park, and then more queues once on site. Apparently they'd hoped for 68,000 visitors and had @ 70,000 with three days to go!
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB1969 View Post
    Magnificent looking engines. Was one of them used on Top Gear for the race between the train, car and motorbike?
    Nope - that was "Tornado" a newly built A1 (to original specs - slightly improved see here: http://www.a1steam.com/)

I've seen it, actually I've been on a train pulled by it - fantastic!

The A4s are among my favourite steam engines though - Mallard's record (and engine) breaking run was amazing.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Nope - that was "Tornado" a newly built A1 (to original specs - slightly improved see here: http://www.a1steam.com/)

I've seen it, actually I've been on a train pulled by it - fantastic!

The A4s are among my favourite steam engines though - Mallard's record (and engine) breaking run was amazing.

Cheers,
    I watched the Tornado being built here in Darlington.... it nearly didn't happen due to funding but generosity won in the end.

Damn, I missed this, but I'm sure it will all happen again.....just 25 years to wait!!

Master
    Great looking engines, you have to admire the people who preserve and maintain such machines, I worked for 'Ian Allan' (magazine/books) for twenty years and sadly the younger generation are less interested in such things these days

Journeyman
    I went to see them when they were at NRM York, place was rammed and was a nightmare to get anywhere near the engines. I have a good panoramic view of all the engines somewhere, I will dig it out and post it.

Journeyman
    If anyone wants to see the photos I took they are on a public album on my account at google+
    search for barry small or barrysmall77@gmail.com, they are too big to post on photobucket without waiting ages to upload them.

Craftsman
    So please educate me as to why they wont be seen together again.

Quote Originally Posted by watkins101 View Post
    Haven't some come from the US (or Canada even)?

So probably just very unlikely they will be brought over (or otherwise united) again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watkins101 View Post
    Two of them have come across the Atlantic. Dwight D Eisenhower from the USA and Dominion of Canada from ..........yes, no prizes from guessing that one.

Journeyman
    One word. Classic