closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyetis - Real or Fantasy ?

Hyetis - Real or Fantasy ?

For some reason this fascinates me, I guess it's the watch/gadget combination that still has an automatic movement at it's heart.

http://www.hyetis.com

Pointless and expensive - quite possibly, but then aren't most watches that we buy.

Anyone else following ?

Is it real, as there's precious little hard evidence, not even any pics of a completed watch and it's due to ship on the 21st (having missed previous launch dates) ? Seems a tall order to me, bordering on fantasy.

But I so want to believe.

Most of you will hate it and that's fine, I'm not really interested in that aspect.

Never heard of it... No 'real' pics though... Leap of faith required to hit buy!

I expected to hate it as I don't see the point of smartwatches at the moment - just strapping a mini-phone screen to your wrist because it's slightly more convenient to look at your wrist than to get your phone out of your pocket doesn't seem like the innovative breakthrough it's made out to be. Such a lack of imagination really.

However, this one actually looks pretty interesting. Spec says it has an actual automatic movement in there, so it actually is a watch too.

It's interesting really because it has some biometrics in there. That's actually something potentially useful and gives it being wearable a bit more purpose. (no idea what "Skin's acidity-transpiration" actually means though, but it sounds impressive!). I bet the battery life is dreadful though.

I'll keep my eye on this one I think. It's raised my interest level in smartwatches up a notch. It's now at notch one.

/EDIT - Looks like Ablogtowatch did a writeup of this last year - http://www.ablogtowatch.com/hyetis-a...ss-smartwatch/
    Last edited by ArghZombies; 18th February 2014 at 23:40.

Startrek is becoming reality.

If it works, it'll be like having a GoPro on your wrist, complete with ring flash. Diving-wise, this could be interesting, but I'm a little concerned about battery life...

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    If it works, it'll be like having a GoPro on your wrist, complete with ring flash. Diving-wise, this could be interesting, but I'm a little concerned about battery life...
    According to the ablogtowatch interview with the designer:

ABTW: What is the anticipated battery life for the watch?

AK: So that’s one of the key points we work really hard on. If you use your CROSSBOW in a popular average use of a phone it’s a quite similar run time, around a day. If you use it in eco mode ( for example, you shoot several picture in a day but the primary use of the watch is alerts and social media) you can expect to run for about four days. On the other hand, in intensive use - like me and my phone - you'll only get about 5-6 hours. That said, we are planning to bring along a power boost solution in a few weeks.
    Now this could all be a myth (equally so could the watch itself!) but it sounds plausible.

Grrr - the crossbow watch, with dark knight polish.....it's automatic with a big digital screen and buttons/sensors so large you will have to cut the left sleeve off all your clothes. It can tell how sweaty you are and it's got a camera and stuff. Grr
    Seriously, what a load of rubbish - buy a nice watch and a nice smart phone and you can look like a normal person instead of a massive nerd. Could anyone wearing one of those ever get a girlfriend?!! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Grrr - the crossbow watch, with dark knight polish.....it's automatic with a big digital screen and buttons/sensors so large you will have to cut the left sleeve off all your clothes. It can tell how sweaty you are and it's got a camera and stuff. Grr
    Seriously, what a load of rubbish - buy a nice watch and a nice smart phone and you can look like a normal person instead of a massive nerd. Could anyone wearing one of those ever get a girlfriend?!! ;-)
    Ever heard of the word 'fun' ?!

Every collection needs something a bit left field as far as I'm concerned.

But if a green bezel on a 'perfect size' 40mm Rolex excites you and lets you sleep at night because it's a sound sensible investment, then crack on dear boy

Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    According to the ablogtowatch interview with the designer:

Now this could all be a myth (equally so could the watch itself!) but it sounds plausible.
    Yes. But nobody has taken it u/w to use as a camera / video with flash / video light. As a #smartwatchnerd, I'm happy to volunteer...

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Yes. But nobody has taken it u/w to use as a camera / video with flash / video light. As a #smartwatchnerd, I'm happy to volunteer...
    With all the gadgetry involved in that thing, if you go underwater with it you risk getting electrocuted!

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    Ever heard of the word 'fun' ?!

Every collection needs something a bit left field as far as I'm concerned.

But if a green bezel on a 'perfect size' 40mm Rolex excites you and lets you sleep at night because it's a sound sensible investment, then crack on dear boy
    Hmm. Actually I'm wearing my Sub LV today but I often wear a Casio King Gx56 and a yellow gw6900 so I'm quite open to a fun watch. I don't intend selling my Sub so it isn't an investment just a watch - and it doesn't tick loud enough to keep me awake!!!
    I like a fun watch and I actually find the whole Swiss Rolex thing a bit naff (tastes change but why sell a watch you still quite like even though it's a but small on an 8 inch wrist)
    The watch you posted looks terrible IMHO but we all have our own tastes - the GX56 is too big to wear with a jacket ir anything with sleeves in my experience so those pushers look impossible to wear without injury!

Hmmm - $1200 to become a Beta tester?! On a device with questionable styling and not a lot more functionality than a Pebble.

I like the idea, and everybody's trying to get into wearable technology, but (judging by my Sony SmartWatch 2) it's going to be a while longer before somebody gets the aesthetics, functionality and price correct in a single package. Much as I loath Apple and their products, I do wonder whether the iWatch will be the one to do it (not least because they have such a huge market of fanbois who will buy anything that they produce).

Battery life is going to be critical IMHO.

Little point having a do it all device that you keep having to charge - major inconvenience if the thing keeps running flat.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Battery life is going to be critical IMHO.

Little point having a do it all device that you keep having to charge - major inconvenience if the thing keeps running flat.
    Sounds like my iphone :-(
    It must be the screens that are the power suck, I have an old school Nokia for work and it only needs charging every couple of weeks. I keep wondering when e-ink will be used across the watch industry but it doesn't seem to have appeared. I suppose it must be down to the poor refresh rate?

The first batch is due to ship this Friday 21st and there's a keynote announcement tomorrow...

http://www.hyetis.com/news/2014/02/1...ruary-keynote/

So many questions to be answered, so many technical challenges to have been overcome.

If it ships, and that's a big if, it might just be the mechanical watch that actually works !

Yes it's big and bulky and ugly and impractical and expensive, but I still want one.

But for the life of me I can't really articulate why, I have no use for it and smart watches in general are of little interest to me.

It's weird how some thing grab you.

Hmm. Actually I'm wearing my Sub LV today but I often wear a Casio King Gx56 and a yellow gw6900 so I'm quite open to a fun watch. I don't intend selling my Sub so it isn't an investment just a watch - and it doesn't tick loud enough to keep me awake!!!
    I like a fun watch and I actually find the whole Swiss Rolex thing a bit naff (tastes change but why sell a watch you still quite like even though it's a but small on an 8 inch wrist)
    The watch you posted looks terrible IMHO but we all have our own tastes - the GX56 is too big to wear with a jacket ir anything with sleeves in my experience so those pushers look impossible to wear without injury!
    Fair play. I have sensible watches too, but do like something a bit different, previously these...

With all the gadgetry involved in that thing, if you go underwater with it you risk getting electrocuted!

Having a 48 Mp u/w camera rated to 250m with a built-in ring flash? I'd risk it.

Fair play. I have sensible watches too, but do like something a bit different, previously these...

Whoah! Those are statement timepieces! To be honest I like 'wacky but wearable' so I'm more worried about weird pushers and knobs (fnaar) - that make a watch unwearable. How can you not like a watch that looks like a robot!!!???. I always see those referred to as a 'Mr Roboto' which I think is a reference to an 80's pop tune that never made it across the Atlantic?? My wife always says 'why do you wear that stupid plastic watch when you've got some proper watches??!!' - I just think life's too short to wear the same boring stuff every day.
    I hope the new watch arrives as scheduled, are the pics all CG renders or is that what it'll look like?

I hope the new watch arrives as scheduled, are the pics all CG renders or is that what it'll look like?
    I've not been brave/stupid enough to sign up yet as the only full pics are still CG renders.

My head's still in control over my heart on this one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I caved in . Ordered mine.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have been speaking with Patrick Tran VP of the company. I will get mine 1st week in April

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I caved in . Ordered mine.
    Excellent - I like being in the company of like-minded fools !

I may follow suit tomorrow depending on what's announced in their keynote.

I have been speaking with Patrick Tran VP of the company. I will get mine 1st week in April
    Cool - an early bird edition ?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Cool - an early bird edition ?
    Yes with all the free upgrades. Still might end up in early retirement in a draw somewhere. But I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by NenoS View Post
    Startrek is becoming reality.
    Looks more like something out of Blakes Seven to me

Apprentice
    Excellent - I like being in the company of like-minded fools !

I may follow suit tomorrow depending on what's announced in their keynote.
    Hello guys,

I think craziest guys, in this story, are the 2 founders

Working to make this fantasy a reality is a mix of excitement and masochism :

Excitement because we are the 1st to propose the merging of tradition and modernity in the field of High end Watchmaking and we succeed to convince major supplier to take part of the project.
    Masochism because we are playing with huge competitors so it s a permanent stress.

But when I red your comments and feel your enthusiasm, I m very proud of Hyetis,

Thank you for your support.

Glad you've taken the plunge, be interesting.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyetis View Post
    Hello guys,

Excitement because we are the 1st to propose the merging of tradition and modernity in the field of High end Watchmaking and we succeed to convince major supplier to take part of the project.
    Masochism because we are playing with huge competitors so it s a permanent stress.

But when I red your comments and feel your enthusiasm, I m very proud of Hyetis,

You could never know the extent to which I would never have even considered any watch with a battery, until you made the crossbow. Giving it the mechanical movement so the watch can measure hours, minutes and seconds in the traditional way, without reliance on technology makes it a real watch. All the rest, especially the amazing camera and the biometrics, not to mention the quad core processor, makes it an exciting innovation, which I can't wait to get my hands on.

First day in April?
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have the Skeleton version of that. Sits is a box most of the time. But it's great

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    First day in April?
    I'd be happy with that. Not superstitious

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Looks more like something out of Blakes Seven to me
    +1. Much more appropriate comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Hyetis View Post
    Hello guys,

I think it's partly the 'David and Goliath' aspect that appeals.

I hope you guys can pull it off, I'm rooting for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    First day in April?
    Very droll !

It looks like a daleks mating organ. (and to me about as much use)

Also, is it a swiss mvt spelt c h i n a.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    It looks like a daleks mating organ. (and to me about as much use)

Also, is it a swiss mvt spelt c h i n a.....

Why would you say that?
    The companies CEO was responsible for launching Cvstos watches He is also responsible for the patented coaxial architecture used in soma Parmigiani/Vaucher movements There is nothing about the company to suggest they would do that.

The movement used in the Crossbow is a ETA 2836 btw The watch is 100% Swiss designed and made.

I am assuming therefore that the comment was based on complete ignorance.

As for the other comment I hadn't noticed You are obviously more aquatinted with a Dalek's mating organ than I am
    Last edited by java; 20th February 2014 at 22:40.

The problem with smartwatch is that the technology gets old quickly, ok this one has a 48mp but the rest of the specs may out of date by the end of the summer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zecko View Post
    The problem with smartwatch is that the technology gets old quickly, ok this one has a 48mp but the rest of the specs may out of date by the end of the summer.
    So maybe no-one should make them Or a least not until we think no further technological progress will be made .

Or maybe if they make one which has very adaptable connectivity, very flexible and upgradable firmware, a huge 64Gb of memory and some future proof and useable environmental and Bio sensors Oh and a 48 mp camera with optical zoom and a ring flash. Something a a bit like the Crossbow.

So, did the keynote happen yesterday as scheduled? There's no update on the website and no coverage on any news site I can see.

The whole thing just smells of vapourware to me. All that exists is a website and some cgi renders. There's no actual watch at all.

Glad I never put any money down.

Their Facebook seems to be the best place for updates.

They posted this half an hour ago...

So it s 23.20 pm February 20th in Los Angeles, so we re still on time to announce the main message of the Keynote ( we won't release it today, as we wanted a professional quality and what we ve done this night is neither satisfying nor respectful toward you) :
    Shipping will start today, 21st February 2014, we have limited quantity of watches so we will prioritize our home market, Switzerland, then Europe and finally worldwide. There s still remaining a bit more of 100 watch for the Earlybird campaign, those who will order now will receive their device with the last batch planed 1st week of May.
    To know your precise shipping date regarding your serial number and localization, please write us at this address : info@hyetis.com
    At this stage, the production of the Earlybird series has started and we will not be able to proceed a refund of our customers after monday february 24th.
    Hyetis team.

Master
    I for one cannot wait to see this watch and read the reviews. This is the way technology should be going!

Java, as soon as it arrives I will expect a picture heavy review please!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Their Facebook seems to be the best place for updates.

They posted this half an hour ago...
    They have also posted it on their website. I have no worries about the quality of the product. I am confident that the product will arrive in the next few months. This kind of project is always a little slow at the start, but that is part of the fun and involvement.

They have also posted it on their website. I have no worries about the quality of the product. I am confident that the product will arrive in the next few months. This kind of project is always a little slow at the start, but that is part of the fun and involvement.
    Well I'd still have huge worries. They're starting shipping today and yet there are no photos of this thing anywhere at all? Are they saying that they have a finished product that has completed all the testing and checks, but yet they have not been able to take just one photo of one?

Sorry, I don't buy it. Nothing about this seems legit at all. If anyone can point me to some actual evidence that this thing exists then I'd be impressed.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong - as a concept it seems quite interesting. But I can't see it ever actually existing in anyway similar to that promised on the website.

I'd take a copy of the website if I were you and compare what they've promised to what you actually get (if you get sent anything at all). You might just get sent a Casio F-91W with some paint on it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well I'd still have huge worries. They're starting shipping today and yet there are no photos of this thing anywhere at all? Are they saying that they have a finished product that has completed all the testing and checks, but yet they have not been able to take just one photo of one?

Sorry, I don't buy it. Nothing about this seems legit at all. If anyone can point me to some actual evidence that this thing exists then I'd be impressed.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong - as a concept it seems quite interesting. But I can't see it ever actually existing in anyway similar to that promised on the website.

I'd take a copy of the website if I were you and compare what they've promised to what you actually get (if you get sent anything at all). You might just get sent a Casio F-91W with some paint on it.
    I am not at all worried. I know who the CEO is, Arny Kapshitzer. I have been aware of his work and career for many years. He is a prominent horological engineer and designer of the highest integrity and with a very impressive track record of successful work .
    I have spoken directly with Patrick Tran the VP. I am also aware of who some of the supplying partners are.
    There is no doubt in my mind of the integrity of the business and the product.

It's fine Version 2 of the Crossbow should be out in 6 months or so after V1 is released, at which point V1 will be worth about 80 quid

Same goes for the Samsung smartwatch

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...watch-obsolete

So maybe no-one should make them Or a least not until we think no further technological progress will be made .

Or maybe if they make one which has very adaptable connectivity, very flexible and upgradable firmware, a huge 64Gb of memory and some future proof and useable environmental and Bio sensors Oh and a 48 mp camera with optical zoom and a ring flash. Something a a bit like the Crossbow.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zecko View Post
    It's fine Version 2 of the Crossbow should be out in 6 months or so after V1 is released, at which point V1 will be worth about 80 quid

Same goes for the Samsung smartwatch

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...watch-obsolete
    I don't buy it for an investment, so I have no interest in what it may be worth down the line.
    Also the samsung is not even the same kind of product.

The Hyetis Crossbow has a huge number of integral functions which are not even dependent on connectivity to a smart phone. This puts the product into a different category altogether. In fact it puts it into a category in which it is the only player. That is without considering the fact that all of this is supported by a very good integral mechanical automatic movement.

It's true that it is a cut above any other smartwatch. The worry for me is that like any other smart device it depends on connectivity, hardware and OS, it needs to be really future-proof. That's if you want to get more than a year's use out of it. For example the first smartwatch made by Sony a couple of years ago would now be completely obsolete compared to the Samsung Gear, which itself will be obsolete when the next version comes out (which won't even use Android) but Samsung's new proprietary OS.

It looks like there's an ETA 2836 in the Hyetis. It only says 'Swiss movement' on the website so I assumed it was a Sellita or some other Chinese/Swiss hybrid, It's interesting that they can pack that all in for only £700 or so and still use an ETA.

I don't buy it for an investment, so I have no interest in what it may be worth down the line.

The Hyetis Crossbow has a huge number of integral functions which are not even dependent on connectivity to a smart phone. This puts the product into a different category altogether. In fact it puts it into a category in which it is the only player. That is without considering the fact that all of this is supported by a very good integral mechanical automatic movement.
    - - - Updated - - -

It's true that it is a cut above any other smartwatch. The worry for me is that like any other smart device it depends on connectivity, hardware and OS, it needs to be really future-proof. That's if you want to get more than a year's use out of it. For example the first smartwatch made by Sony a couple of years ago would now be completely obsolete compared to the Samsung Gear, which itself will be obsolete when the next version comes out (which won't even use Android) but Samsung's new proprietary OS.

It looks like there's an ETA 2836 in the Hyetis. It only says 'Swiss movement' on the website so I assumed it was a Sellita or some other Chinese/Swiss hybrid, It's interesting that they can pack that all in for only £700 or so and still use an ETA.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=zecko;3048221]It's true that it is a cut above any other smartwatch. The worry for me is that like any other smart device it depends on connectivity, hardware and OS, it needs to be really future-proof. That's if you want to get more than a year's use out of it. For example the first smartwatch made by Sony a couple of years ago would now be completely obsolete compared to the Samsung Gear, which itself will be obsolete when the next version comes out (which won't even use Android) but Samsung's new proprietary OS.

It looks like there's an ETA 2836 in the Hyetis. It only says 'Swiss movement' on the website so I assumed it was a Sellita or some other Chinese/Swiss hybrid, It's interesting that they can pack that all in for only £700 or so and still use an ETA. Quote

It is definitely a 2836 here is a list of integral functions which stand alone in the watch and are not dependent on connectivity to a smart phone.
    I have left out from the list the connectivity functions which are both WiFi and BT and very impressive. Not to mention the fully upgradable firmware systems.

• Genesis analyzer board
      • ARM controller 180 MHz (power efficient)
      • Storage 64 GB flash memory
      • High resolution 9 axis accelerometer
      • 3 axis gyroscope
      • Magnetometer
      • Luxmeter
      • Compass
      • Pressure sensor
      • Dual temperature/humidity sensor
      • GPS
      • HD microphone

• BOLT engine
      • Dual core 1.2 GHz ARM A9
      • Quad core GPU
      • Gesture recognition

Cameras

• Keeneagle camera
      • 48 Mpx
      • Infared enabled
      • Keepeye dial camera
      • Face recognition processing

Lens

• Luxpath optical zoom
      • MEMS driven lens set carriage

LED lightening

• Circular led architecture
      • Infared led light emitter

• Basic software features
      • GPS positioning
      • Pedometer
      • Compass
      • Chronograph
      • Timer
      • Countdown
      • Calendar
      • Memo

Biometrics

• Body temperature
      • Humidity sensors
      • Heartbeat
      • Skin's acidity-sweat
      • Blood pressure

• MARSO
      • Gesture recognition device

Mechanical features

• Time hours/minutes/seconds
      • 3 hands mechanically driven by automatic Swiss Made movement

Case and back

• Size 46 mm
      • Weight 170 gr
      • Grade 5 Titanium
      • Finish "Dark Knight" polished
      • Blasted and Brushed
      • Waterproof to 250m

Straps

• 2 Textile Bands "NATO" type interchangeable Red and Black

I didn't have to take much out!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    I for one cannot wait to see this watch and read the reviews. This is the way technology should be going!

Java, as soon as it arrives I will expect a picture heavy review please!!
    +1

You could look at this thing in the same way as Google Glass. When that was first mooted people could pay to get an early release of it so they could basically be the beta testers of it. Perhaps this is sort of the same thing - early adopters will get it first, but get lots of perks for being involved from the start. However, with Google Glass the beta testers had to pay more for it than it'd be sold for to the general public, whereas this looks like the other way around.

So this was supposed to ship today to the first customers in their local area, but there are no photos of one other than a couple of random shots of somebody wearing one while holding a mobile phone on a Facebook page?

If anybody wants to buy some magic beans, or help me to sort these funds out for a Nigerian diplomat who needs assistance getting $100bn out of the country, please PM me with your bank details.