closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooney's new contract is beyond disgusting

Rooney's new contract is beyond disgusting

I'm sorry but £300k a week is beyond disgusting. I know one thing has nothing to do with the other but our exceptional service personnel, nurses and emergency services are paid barely a living wage and this neanderthal who would most likely have been in prison if he'd not been a footballer gets £300k a week for being little more than average at what he does.

I'd have to work for ten years to earn what he earns each week. I had to fight through a very stressful and time consuming appeal process to try to get my bonus this year - the enviable sum of £400 before tax - and I lost. I bet £400 a time is what he'll spend on whores.

Surely there's something seriously wrong with this new contract.

I always try to be pragmatic in these situations and think, if it were my son what would I be saying. Well I think I'm a humble enough person to say "Son, well done and I'm chuffed for you, but that's a disgusting amount of money for one person to earn for just doing what you do"

I understand if you think this is just sour grapes, and a bit of it is. But come on, it's way out of hand now.

David

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Rooney is SCUM. Probably THE worst possible role model in sport.

One day I hope, nay I WISH! he gets his comeuppance.

Master
    If my bosses offered me a 15% pay rise, I'd take it.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    If my bosses offered me a 15% pay rise, I'd take it.
    15%?

If I was offered 1.5% it would be a flamin miracle!

Banned
    Important Notice!!!!!!

Be a civil servant when you grow up, or a load of bitter people will get jealous and slag you down.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm sorry but £300k a week is beyond disgusting. I know one thing has nothing to do with the other but our exceptional service personnel, nurses and emergency services are paid barely a living wage and this neanderthal who would most likely have been in prison if he'd not been a footballer gets £300k a week for being little more than average at what he does.

I'd have to work for ten years to earn what he earns each week. I had to fight through a very stressful and time consuming appeal process to try to get my bonus this year - the enviable sum of £400 before tax - and I lost. I bet £400 a time is what he'll spend on whores.

I always try to be pragmatic in these situations and think, if it were my son what would I be saying. Well I think I'm a humble enough person to say "Son, well done and I'm chuffed for you, but that's a disgusting amount of money for one person to earn for just doing what you do"

I understand if you think this is just sour grapes, and a bit of it is. But come on, it's way out of hand now.

David
    I do not think it's disgusting, I find it amusing. I understand why you say what you say but do not agree - what you earn is irrelevant, the fact that you did not get you bonus is harsh but again completely irrelevant - it's certainly not his fault. If you are not happy with earn do something about it. You are in control of you life if you choose to be.

Look at what F1 drivers have been earning for years, NFL, NBL etc etc, its determined by what the market think is value - you and I can disagree with what he is worth, however I applaud him for getting that deal (if he does) fair play.

Master
    im amazed he is worth so much money, it doesnt particularly bother me, it jut seems a lot of money for a player who doesnt seem all that amazing at the moment.

how much money is van persie on, or aguero?

Grand Master
    300k is just his basic salary, add in bonuses, sponsorship and rights and he'll make nearly double that. Football has gone daft over the last 20 years, but to be fair, ManU still make a profit, and that's down to having guys like Rooney in their team.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Important Notice!!!!!!

Be a civil servant when you grow up, or a load of bitter people will get jealous and slag you down.
    :-) so true

Can't stand the game anyway and as long as people are daft enough to pay the prices for entry, shirts, season tickets, etc..... so they will pay these chumps this sort of money.

Rod

Like it or not he's a celebrity entertainer, albeit football is the medium for entertainment. He earns what the market is willing to pay, perhaps if we all cancelled our Sky subscriptions then footballers wages may take a downturn with less money available for the football leagues, but unfortunately we're not likely to do that.

Why should he as the employee not have a decent cut of what the club is making off his back?

But that's his value in the market he's in. His employers must think it's worth paying him that or they wouldn't. We all have the opportunity to go to our employer and put our case for more money. I don't think we should give Rooney a hard time, just because he's done that very well. It's tempting to compare his pay with nurses, care workers etc, but the harsh truth is that this work is within the abilities of millions. That's why it doesn't pay very well.

Does it affect anyone adversely that the odd footballer makes a fortune? Only if they allow envy to be an issue.

(I think he's way over-rated by the way, but good luck to him)

I agree it's obscene , especially for a dumb oaf like Rooney, but what is the difference between 100k a week and 300k? It got silly a decade or two ago.

The market decides. No matter how silly we think it is, or jealous we are (which I don't feel, because it's an immature emotion) he gets paid what the market governs and what his employers can afford.

I don't begrudge anyone for earning what they do, as long as it's legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Why should he as the employee not have a decent cut of what the club is making off his back?
    I'm not sure there are many employees who could say that .......ie give me a decent cut of the money you make from me

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Can't stand the game anyway and as long as people are daft enough to pay the prices for entry, shirts, season tickets, etc..... so they will pay these chumps this sort of money.

Rod
    I took this stance more than 5 years ago Rod and have stuck to it to this day. I was sick of my hard earned going into the pockets of players so I packed in Sky Sports and have never been to a game or bought a shirt since.

I grew up loving the game and I still enjoy it. But my love was for a people's game, a working man's game, not this.

£300k a week and £62 to get into a game at Arsenal - the game I loved is not a game for me any more.

Master
    This contract is more about showing the world Manchester United are still a big club, in my opinion. Loosing a top player does more harm to the outside view of the club that the net effect of the actual player leaving.

A top English player leaving a top English club just isn't cricket, and send out the wrong message.

Rooney can be fantastic on his day, and average on others. He'll be given the captains armband next season in the hope he will perform at his best. I'm not sure I agree that he's over rated, he certainly seems well respected on mainland Europe, and there aren't many better English players to be fair.

His private life and attitude are terrible though, and as someone else said he'd be in jail if he wasn't a good footballer.

Blog Entries
    It is a lot of money, granted.

Shocking that a lad from a humble background should be allowed to make so much money by doing something that was accessible to all, simply kicking a football.

Joking aside, I'm more comfortable seeing him getting the money than bankers bonuses who were bailed out by our money.

I'm not a fan, but we're always bemoaning people scrounging or insisting that people should better themselves.

Someone born into the lower classes of society is earning £300k a week, all from privately created funds.

I can live with that.

And as a Leeds fan, I'm definitely not a Rooney fan.

Sports such as boxing football are outlets where the working classes often do well. Then they get pulled apart.

It's a funny old world.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Christ....if i started getting wound up over every shaved ape & idiot that earns more than me i would give myself an ulcer.

I don't particularly like the guy (as far as you can say that when you've never actually met him), but frankly good luck to him. He works in an industry which which buys and sells talent with no consideration for the individual. If he broke a leg or had a really bad run they'd get shot so why shouldn't he make as much as he can off the back of them.

Blame the game, not the player!

Craftsman
    Not worth it ! He (his agent) is just taking advantage of the current crisis at the club

United cannot afford to lose him - not necessarily from a playing point of view - but from a credibility view point.

I`m guessing his agent won`t allow a clause in his contract reducing his wage if (when) they don`t make the Champions League.

Wages paid to top footballers are ridiculous but whilst the monies involved in Premier League / Champions league and Sky continue to rise so will wages.

"IF" Rooney is worth £300k per week how much are Messi / Ronaldo worth ?

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I don't particularly like the guy (as far as you can say that when you've never actually met him), but frankly good luck to him. He works in an industry which which buys and sells talent with no consideration for the individual. If he broke a leg or had a really bad run they'd get shot so why shouldn't he make as much as he can off the back of them.

Blame the game, not the player!
    I am.

Chaps,

Rugby League is the true working man's sport - the average punter is as fat, wheezy and poor as the bloke who's chuffing round after an oblong ball, guided by some arcane rules drawn up in a colliery canteen several thousand pints of mild ago.

Good luck to Rooney. His wife's a munter and he's going to end up fat and bald before he's 30. I would have thought Man U would have learnt to spot someone whose career is going downhill fast after Norman Whiteside and Paul McGrath, but clearly Ryan Giggs came along and threw a spanner in the works.

The elder prozzies will be delighted!

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Chaps,

Rugby League is the true working man's sport - the average punter is as fat, wheezy and poor as the bloke who's chuffing round after an oblong ball, guided by some arcane rules drawn up in a colliery canteen several thousand pints of mild ago.

Good luck to Rooney. His wife's a munter and he's going to end up fat and bald before he's 30. I would have thought Man U would have learnt to spot someone whose career is going downhill fast after Norman Whiteside and Paul McGrath, but clearly Ryan Giggs came along and threw a spanner in the works.
    Post of the week!

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.

David
    Why would rooney have been in prison had he not played football ?

Blog Entries

Rugby League is the true working man's sport.
    I won't dispute that, the Super League is a wonderful product, and Leeds have been so good over recent years which has really had the city buzzing!

Good luck to Rooney. His wife's a munter and he's going to end up fat and bald before he's 30.
    Yes.... she is.

And no... his hair is growing back, it's a miracle! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Important Notice!!!!!!

It wasn't about public service Steve, I just happened to select those professions at random. It was a point about the regular working person earning barely enough, regardless of what they do. And it's not about being bitter, it's about an industry completely losing touch with its client base. It's about boom and bust - surely at some point clubs will have to charge so much for entry to cover these costs that more and more people will find it unachievable to go, and then what? The players contracts will effectively be the end of the club.

A big section of people I know were priced out years ago, including me. Clubs like Arsenal charging £62 to get in can only attract a certain proportion of society surely. And when those people get priced out, attendances will dwindle. I can't see anything other than this for the future.

Surely he's only going to get what the market dictates he is worth?
    It makes more sense for Nited to give him his new contract than sell him on the cheap, replace him with a £40 m player and then pay the new guy £150, 000 a week.
    I stopped getting worked up about footballers pay years ago.
    I'm looking forward to the Scarlet Johannson is a mega earning bitch thread !

Master
    I bet £400 a time is what he'll spend on whores.
    You'd lose that bet.

Have you seen the whores the granny shagger blows his wad on (scuse the pun), 4 quid a week would be more likely.

Apparently he was about to put pen to paper and sign a deal with Chelsea, until someone let slip that the Chelsea pensioners were all blokes.

But you have to admire his loyalty, City offered him 350 grans a week.

Does Tom Cruise's salary upset you? Or JK Rolwing's? Because they're paid what they are for the same reasons. If you can command an audience of that size then the money's yours.

Master
    It wasn't about public service Steve, I just happened to select those professions at random. It was a point about the regular working person earning barely enough, regardless of what they do. And it's not about being bitter, it's about an industry completely losing touch with its client base. It's about boom and bust - surely at some point clubs will have to charge so much for entry to cover these costs that more and more people will find it unachievable to go, and then what? The players contracts will effectively be the end of the club.

A big section of people I know were priced out years ago, including me. Clubs like Arsenal charging £62 to get in can only attract a certain proportion of society surely. And when those people get priced out, attendances will dwindle. I can't see anything other than this for the future.
    Yes we all know that ,but why would rooney more of likely been in prison if he was not a footballer ?

Master
    Geez, it's simply supply and demand.

I'm not saying its right but it is fact. Imagine the uproar and the state of our nation if fireman and coopers were on £300k a week ........ Accept it's an unusual situation and these guys however arrogant they may seem, are blessed with a talent that pays a phenomenal wage

Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    Yes we all know that ,but why would rooney more of likely been in prison if he was not a footballer ?
    It's an assumption spouted in football fan circles because of his questionable family and lack of ability to do anything else. So no good reason really, just an urban football legend.

Welcome to capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post

Apparently he was about to put pen to paper and sign a deal with Chelsea, until someone let slip that the Chelsea pensioners were all blokes.
    I'm a Utd fan (from Mcr) but that joke has been stolen and passed on! Belter.

I think his wage is obscene btw.

Master
    It's an assumption spouted in football fan circles because of his questionable family and lack of ability to do anything else. So no good reason really, just an urban football legend.
    Well i'd suggest you do your homework next time you come out with silly statements like the one you just wrote ,although rooney did come from a a fairly poor back ground , had he not been a footballer ,he would have been an excellent boxer ,nor is there any evidence of any criminality in his immediate family .

Post of the week!
    A quality post.

Chaps,

Quality post.

Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    Well i'd suggest you do your homework next time you come out with silly statements like the one you just wrote ,although rooney did come from a a fairly poor back ground , had he not been a footballer ,he would have been an excellent boxer ,nor is there any evidence of any criminality in his immediate family .
    Sorry Dad

I doubt whether his children will become footballers, perhaps they will be well educated, go to university, become doctors, engineers, whatever - I like social mobility, I don't think everybody does.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I doubt whether his children will become footballers, perhaps they will be well educated, go to university, become doctors, engineers, whatever - I like social mobility, I don't think everybody does.
    Laughable post!

I'll have a bet with you now that rooneys kids will be neither engineers or doctors!

They'll be "celebrities" and never need/want to work or be educated beyond sucking on mummy's/daddy's teat (for example Calum best, Bianca "Gascogne" or George lineker)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    300k is just his basic salary, add in bonuses, sponsorship and rights and he'll make nearly double that. Football has gone daft over the last 20 years, but to be fair, ManU still make a profit, and that's down to having guys like Rooney in their team.

This...

I'd much rather Rooney got (notice I didn't use the work 'earned') £300k per week than those in charge of the high street banks getting eleventy million pound bonuses each year for pissing away my pension.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Laughable post!

I'll have a bet with you now that rooneys kids will be neither engineers or doctors!

They'll be "celebrities" and never need/want to work or be educated beyond sucking on mummy's/daddy's teat (for example Calum best, Bianca "Gascogne" or George lineker)
    I'd go with that. I remember Bianca Gascoigne saying on TV that her all time idol was Callum Best! And he's only famous because of who his Dad was.

But then you could say the same about Jesus.

I hope they do well. We'll see.

I do think that there is a nasty sneering, middle class attitude to the working class and their off-spring that do well or have good fortune.

Laughable post!

I don't care how much he earns or what his kids do for a living as long as he pays tax.

People should focus on sorting out their own finances and stop worrying about other people.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I don't care how much he earns or what his kids do for a living as long as he pays tax.

People should focus on sorting out their own finances and stop worrying about other people.
    I'm not worrying about him, I'm merely providing comment about him. That's what social commentary means and without it there'd be limited press or social media content.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I hope they do well. We'll see.

I do think that there is a nasty sneering, middle class attitude to the working class and their off-spring that do well or have good fortune.
    I'm not so sure. I was working-class but I hauled myself out of the mire through hard work, a modest amount of good fortune and a desire to improve my own personal circumstances. I'd now class myself as firmly middle-class.

The sneering side of the middle classes that I have encountered largely stems from those, such as me, that worked our way up the social strata from the working class ourselves and know how poor one's life is without luxury watch forums and langoustines for supper.

Truly authentic middle-class people simply romanticise about the working-class as if they are preserved in aspic - a nostalgia for a smokey urban doorstep-scrubbing past that probably never truly existed outside of the liberal hand-wringing imagination.

Anyway, back on track. Have you seen Rooney's wife's thighs? You could club an ox to death with one of them. The munter.

Banned
    Laughable post!

Do you have kids?

What parent wouldn't want their children to have everything they dream of?

But, if I was going to rant about them, I'd hope to spell better than one in primary school

Hauled myself out of the mire, authentic middle classes......they are very funny terms!

I think you are the second person to refer to his wife as a munter. God I hate that term. Perhaps we can see your partners (if applicable) and make a judgement, munter or not?

I'm not so sure. I was working-class but I hauled myself out of the mire through hard work, a modest amount of good fortune and a desire to improve my own personal circumstances. I'd now class myself as firmly middle-class.

The sneering side of the middle classes that I have encountered largely stems from those, such as me, that worked our way up the social strata from the working class ourselves and know how poor one's life is without luxury watch forums and langoustines for supper.

Truly authentic middle-class people simply romanticise about the working-class as if they are preserved in aspic - a nostalgia for a smokey urban doorstep-scrubbing past that probably never truly existed outside of the liberal hand-wringing imagination.

Anyway, back on track. Have you seen Rooney's wife's thighs? You could club an ox to death with one of them. The munter.