closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cleaners...

Cleaners...

So, this is a weird one. We've no idea how you go about this, but the other half has spent the last year starting her career and now we are both working long hours and living together. We get the basics done - hoovering, cleaning surfaces, washing up, laundry, etc - but some stuff just gets shocking - suddenly realising there's a years dust on top of shelves, or the drawers for the saucepans have got gack on them, or...

Anyway. Has anyone ever got a cleaner in London? Are there... agencies? How do you find someone trustworthy, who is diligent and will come and do a real job each week? I'd really like to get all that PITA stuff squared away, like emptying out cupboards and cleaning the shelves, cleaning the venetian blinds, washing down, limescaling and polishing the brassware in the bathroom, etc, but... no idea how to find someone.

Happy to pay a good rate - well above the average - for someone who actually wants the work and will do the job well above the average.

Any thoughts? I guess there'll be some 'Don't be so ***ing lazy!' thoughts too, but there's only so many hours in the day and we're trying to do a lot of stuff at once.

Cheers

Roast away

Matt

Though not in London we do use cleaners for 3 hours a week, paying £35. It helps keep on top of things as we both work have two dogs, two teenagers (though one has gone to Uni).
    They are great, we let them have a key, they spoil the dogs, and do a good job - have had them for about five years now.

The best bet is word of mouth, do you know other folks that have reliable cleaners they could recommend.

We're the same, both work full time so 'outsource' jobs where we can, so 2.5hrs a week cleaner, and all the ironing gets picked up and delivered back too....
    Well worth it in saved time..... The cleaner doesn't stop you having to clean, it just helps keep things from being hard work when you do..... Phil M on here had a Eastern European cleaner when he lived in Battersea, he took photos......
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    We're the same, both work full time so 'outsource' jobs where we can, so 2.5hrs a week cleaner, and all the ironing gets picked up and delivered back too....
    Well worth it in saved time..... The cleaner doesn't stop you having to clean, it just helps keep things from being hard work when you do..... Phil M on here had a Eastern European cleaner when he lived in Battersea, he took photos......
    I want to see the photos!

Master
    As already suggested, word of mouth is the way to go. Mention that you are looking for a cleaner to your friends and work colleagues, I'd be surprised if some of them didn't have a cleaner themselves.

Avoid agencies, they'll employ cleaners on (or close to) the minimum wage, and cream off a very large percentage for themselves. Far better to employ someone direct and pay them just under what an agency would charge you - they'll be better motivated to do a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Well worth it in saved time..... The cleaner doesn't stop you having to clean, it just helps keep things from being hard work when you do.
    In my opinion, having a cleaner must be the ultimate luxury and I would definitely have one if I could afford it. We also work (I work long hours and my wife has two jobs) and we also have two kids and a house to look after. And we do it. And everything's clean. And we do all the washing and ironing too. And we do all the entertaining of the kids as we don't have any family support.

So is hiring a cleaner lazy? Absolutely, just stop whining, make time and get on with it.

Would I have a cleaner? You bet I would.

Good luck with your search. Those I do know that have them use people known by others as there's already a trust built up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    Though not in London we do use cleaners for 3 hours a week, paying £35. It helps keep on top of things as we both work have two dogs, two teenagers (though one has gone to Uni).
    They are great, we let them have a key, they spoil the dogs, and do a good job - have had them for about five years now.

The best bet is word of mouth, do you know other folks that have reliable cleaners they could recommend.
    Do you think the cleaner can pay all the taxes and still make a living for 35 quid per three hours? We also have a cleaner, but the cost is close to 35€/hour.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Do you think the cleaner can pay all the taxes and still make a living for 35 quid per three hours?
    Yes.
    It's just a matter of time...

Do you think the cleaner can pay all the taxes and still make a living for 35 quid per three hours? We also have a cleaner, but the cost is close to 35€/hour.
    Of course, it's more than £20,000 per annum.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam View Post
    I want to see the photos!

They'll be no photos, although what I will say is she used to strip down to Lycra to do the cleaning... and not a lot of it either

Craftsman
    Be aware that if you employ a cleaner directly you are responsible for making sure that tax is paid. Have a look at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/emp-in-home.htm and that you are also responsible for their safety at work, as with any employer. Life never used to be like this...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    They'll be no photos, although what I will say is she used to strip down to Lycra to do the cleaning... and not a lot of it either
    Spoil sport lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    In my opinion, having a cleaner must be the ultimate luxury and I would definitely have one if I could afford it. We also work (I work long hours and my wife has two jobs) and we also have two kids and a house to look after. And we do it. And everything's clean. And we do all the washing and ironing too. And we do all the entertaining of the kids as we don't have any family support.

So is hiring a cleaner lazy? Absolutely, just stop whining, make time and get on with it.

Would I have a cleaner? You bet I would.

Good luck with your search. Those I do know that have them use people known by others as there's already a trust built up.
    The ultimate luxury? Hardly. Lazy? Not really.

We all make value judgements on what we will and won't pay for and this is no different. I'd rather have 3hrs extra free time a week (for a couple of years) than a new watch...

Master
    Of course, it's more than £20,000 per annum.
    It's more than £20000 that you can invoice, but living on that it's quite different. At least here you first deduct VAT of 24%. Then, if you want to pay the money to yourself as a salary, you pay first around 25% for social security (it's normally paid by your employer, based on your salary). Then you have the money you can pay to yourself, and from that you need to deduct taxes. So, invoicing around £12 per hour does not make living, but it might be different in the UK.

Master
    I'm obviously missing something but how does £35 a week add up to £20000 per annum?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam View Post
    I'm obviously missing something but how does £35 a week add up to £20000 per annum?
    It's not £35 a week it's £35 for 3 hours work.

I think it's been extrapolated to 40 hours a week, not taking into account you have to actually have 40 hours worth of work at that rate, then travel between 13 jobs. When you think about it logically that would add at least another 6 hours to the equation, not forgetting that that would result in a 46 hour week with no breaks.

It's more than £20000 that you can invoice, but living on that it's quite different. At least here you first deduct VAT of 24%. Then, if you want to pay the money to yourself as a salary, you pay first around 25% for social security (it's normally paid by your employer, based on your salary). Then you have the money you can pay to yourself, and from that you need to deduct taxes. So, invoicing around £12 per hour does not make living, but it might be different in the UK.
    £35 for 3 hours is £11.67 per hour, significantly more than the UK minimum wage of £6.31 (if you're over 21).

Assuming they are self empployed, there is no need to be VAT registered in the UK if you are billing less than about £70k per annum, which isn't very likely as a cleaner.

So, that is a perfectly reasonable amount in the UK, I'd have thought.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Ah right. Yeah thanks for clearing that up. And as somebody has just pointed out, providing they can get the work, the hourly rate is more than I'm on.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    The ultimate luxury? Hardly. Lazy? Not really.

We all make value judgements on what we will and won't pay for and this is no different. I'd rather have 3hrs extra free time a week (for a couple of years) than a new watch...
    Whether something is a luxury all depends on your circumstances. For us it would be the ultimate luxury. We have to spend so many hours each week cleaning, washing and ironing that it's rediculous (only having to clean for three hours would also be a luxury). It's not about a value judgement for us, it's about economics. It's not about will and won't pay, it's about can and can't pay for.

I'd rather have more free hours every week to spend with the kids but I can't free those up by paying someone to do tasks for me. That's why I originally said that that if I could have a cleaner, I would. But I can't and therefore it's a luxury.

David

Whether something is a luxury all depends on your circumstances. For us it would be the ultimate luxury. We have to spend so many hours each week cleaning, washing and ironing that it's rediculous (only having to clean for three hours would also be a luxury). It's not about a value judgement for us, it's about economics. It's not about will and won't pay, it's about can and can't pay for.

I'd rather have more free hours every week to spend with the kids but I can't free those up by paying someone to do tasks for me. That's why I originally said that that if I could have a cleaner, I would. But I can't and therefore it's a luxury.

David
    Circumstances certainly make a difference, hence my statement that it's not lazy - if you can afford it and you value it, why not?

I also didn't state that it wasn't a luxury for you, I questioned whether it was the 'ultimate luxury'. Realistically, I think you could come up with a fair few things that rank ahead of a cleaner on the luxury scale. Personal masseuse anyone...?

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Circumstances certainly make a difference, hence my statement that it's not lazy - if you can afford it and you value it, why not?

I also didn't state that it wasn't a luxury for you, I questioned whether it was the 'ultimate luxury'. Realistically, I think you could come up with a fair few things that rank ahead of a cleaner on the luxury scale. Personal masseuse anyone...?
    LOL, now you're talkin'

Master
    That reminds me, I need to give the gardener a ring.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    £35 for 3 hours is £11.67 per hour, significantly more than the UK minimum wage of £6.31 (if you're over 21).

Assuming they are self empployed, there is no need to be VAT registered in the UK if you are billing less than about £70k per annum, which isn't very likely as a cleaner.

So, that is a perfectly reasonable amount in the UK, I'd have thought.
    Thanks, so it seems. I really do pay 35€/hour, and it seems to be the average rate here and the calculation works as described. The weekly charge is 105€, which is quite a lot more. No wonder they say we've lost our competitive edge regarding salaries a long time ago. ;)

We started using a cleaner once we got kids. We could do it ourselves as well, but this is a "luxury" which allow a more stress free home life and more time with our kids.

Eastern European, 50kg and with a selection of heels - all prerequisites.

And make sure she'll clean your pipe.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    That reminds me, I need to give the gardener a ring.
    I hope the gardener accepts your proposal.

A Finnish perspective, we pay 127 euros per time, two persons three hours, their equipment and supplies, including travel (we live on the countryside). This is via their company, so they pay all taxes and employer payments.

Absolutely a vital investment to personal and family wellbeing.

I think that lycra and heels would cost extra.

Whilst it may be seen as a luxury to some and a necessity to others, there's also the "opportunity cost" way of looking at it.

For example if you are self employed or paid an hourly rate which is greater than the cost of a cleaner, then you're better off working more hours at the higher wage, paying the cleaner at the lower wage and pocketing the difference. Or you work two hours to pay the cleaner for three hours and take an extra hour off!
    Looking at it from this viewpoint can make what seems like a luxury, a cost effective solution.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Eastern European, 50kg and with a selection of heels - all prerequisites.

And make sure she'll clean your pipe.
    What are you going to do with a fat, balding, middle aged, Eastern European, crossing dressing dwarf in heels - in Scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by hako View Post
    A Finnish perspective, we pay 127 euros per time, two persons three hours, their equipment and supplies, including travel (we live on the countryside). This is via their company, so they pay all taxes and employer payments.

That is a crazy price - but the income rates in Finland compared to most of the UK is very high to compensate. Most of the UK wouldn't dream of having a cleaner. I just don't like the idea of anyone I don't know coming into my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    What are you going to do with a fat, balding, middle aged, Eastern European, crossing dressing dwarf in heels - in Scotland?
    Well, from October this year, you could marry them.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...e-gay-marriage
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hako View Post

That's about half the price compared to southern Finland, are you sure they spend three hours together? I also have two people doing the cleaning and get charged for three hours.

Have to add for the UK guys though, that there is a government subsidy for work done in your house in Finland . I can deduct 45% of the cost directly from my taxes (payable tax, not taxable income) so it changes the real cost a lot. Used to be 60%...
    Last edited by china; 17th February 2014 at 17:33.

Master
    The last 2 cleaners we had were by personal recommendation and turned out to be fairly useless so we are on the lookout for a new one too (London also). We are moving in to a bigger house and I am unsure how many hours per week for a cleaner is reasonable though. It's a 5 bed 4 bath house and there will be some ironing required too? We have a young baby so there is normally a fair mess also :)

http://www.hassle.com comes highly recommended. They've a great no quibble policy.

The thing about cleaners is they do the opposite of what you want. They do the obvious "business as usual" cleaning, but generally don't do the harder or more custom stuff.

However, the time you save by them doing you ironing and floor cleaning will mean you can get it done.

£10/hr is the going rate.

a friend has used www.mopp.com and been happy with the result

That's about half the price compared to southern Finland, are you sure they spend three hours together? I also have two people doing the cleaning and get charged for three hours.
    When I was trying to find a good solution for house cleaning, a friend of mine recommended this very small company. They have been with us for years, and have not raised prices once. Also, it is a smaller municipality which has a big effect on prices. But yes, they spend an average of 2 hrs 40 mins on site, charge for three as agreed.

Craftsman
    Although much of this thread seems to have gone off on a weird tangent, I would just say that using an agency will be more expensive but in many ways a better option. Its less personal, they're more likely to bring their own cleaning stuff and if you don't like the look of them, you can make one phone call and never see them again.

Craftsman
    Is there a local neighbourhood. Facebook group you can check with. You probably don't even have to be on FB to check. There is one for my locality and every other question is along the lines of "can someone recommend a cleaner/roofer/painter/gardener/mechanic/joiner." Delete as appropriate!

As an aside, was there not someone from here about a year or so ago who's cleaner pinched their watches?!