closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watchfinder Rolex sale

Master
    I suppose looking at dealer prices the non paper ones are a reasonable reduction on general shop prices without knowing what might be negotiable off other dealers.

Does anyone know what the full set (if they had any) SDs went for?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    I suppose looking at dealer prices the non paper ones are a reasonable reduction on general shop prices without knowing what might be negotiable off other dealers.

Does anyone know what the full set (if they had any) SDs went for?
    Think I looked at lunchtime and couldn't see any SDs with papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb71 View Post
    Think I looked at lunchtime and couldn't see any SDs with papers.
    Standard dealer rate down Sarf is about £5k give or take.

AFAIK they didn't put any of the full set SDs into the sale. I'm not particularly worried about that though, the one I bought had a 24 month watchfinder warranty as well as 8 months of Rolex warranty left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Standard dealer rate down Sarf is about £5k give or take.
    Fair enough, it's all about satisfied with what you walk away with and I suppose there is always the premium for the peace of mind element behind a dealer purchase and particularly the protection of distance selling rules.

Master
    Clearly a cash-raising exercise but some reasonable prices. The explorer ii's were cheaper than SC, but they were older and I'd guess the bracelets would have stretch etc.

ive bought from them before and was very pleased

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    They buy what they're offered; sometimes those watches have papers, sometimes not. Much easier to price the 'no papers' pieces to sell though! They will have been checked over, back off and water resistance tested and you'll get a good one year guarantee. I have had 4 watches from there in a year, all top drawer stuff and service.

They only sell stuff in very good condition however, all their Rolex would be polished for example.
    Thanks for that. It certainly looks tempting at the lower prices. It's interesting that so many of the SDs have a box but no papers. It's hard to believe people throw away the guarantee and keep the box. Perhaps Watchfinder has a supply of used Rolex boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by andymac66 View Post
    Perhaps Watchfinder has a supply of used Rolex boxes.
    Spare boxes are fairly easy to source.

Master
    Chaps

One day you are going to sell your Rolex and being a private seller, you need papers.

I would not dream of buying off a private seller unless papers were part of the deal.

Sorry but no papers cancels out any price reduction.

Regards

Mick

I would think most of the general public would not be bothered about papers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Chaps

One day you are going to sell your Rolex and being a private seller, you need papers.

I would not dream of buying off a private seller unless papers were part of the deal.

Regards

Mick
    what if the watch had box and a new Rolex 2 year service papers ?

what do org papers offer over Rolex service papers ?

Apprentice
    [I for one would not buy a watch without papers, especially a ROLLEX!!!!UOTE=awright101;3037361]I would think most of the general public would not be bothered about papers.[/QUOTE]

Chaps

Regards

Mick
    Hmm, I just sold my white-faced Explorer II without papers. Are you telling me I didn't and I simply dreamt it?

You not buying means you don't buy it. Many others will, I would not hesitate at the right price.

Banned
    GMT 2012 for 4400GBP not bad not bad but as previously said you can easily find it on chrono much cheaper or anywhere else including watch forums like this. I do not understand the bluster around this site. Or are there people lazy to search?

Craftsman
    Chaps

Regards

Mick
    Two things:

1. I have bought a Rolex without papers from someone off here, as I'm sure many others have. And I would do it again.

2. I have never sold any of my watches before, and while I would consider offloading a couple I have no intention of ever selling my Rolex. Not all of us flip watches compulsively.

Master
    Chaps

Everyone of us who is buying and selling has an impact on market prices. So our attitude to having or not having papers influences the market and then ultimately the price.

I am an armchair expert on Rolex but I will be honest and admit that I may have difficulty in separating a genuine Rolex from a fake or frankenwatch.

Original papers and/or a service receipt from an authorised dealer gives a degree of comfort and I will play safe.

You may think I am being over cautious but there are hundreds like me and we do influence the market.

Therefore whilst you may secure a bargain by buying without papers, you will have a reduced market when it comes to selling.

Regards

Mick

Chaps

Everyone of us who is buying and selling has an impact on market prices. So our attitude to having or not having papers influences the market and then ultimately the price.

I am an armchair expert on Rolex but I will be honest and admit that I may have difficulty in separating a genuine Rolex from a fake or frankenwatch.

Original papers and/or a service receipt from an authorised dealer gives a degree of comfort and I will play safe.

You may think I am being over cautious but there are hundreds like me and we do influence the market.

Therefore whilst you may secure a bargain by buying without papers, you will have a reduced market when it comes to selling.

Regards

Mick
    Fair enough, but that all falls apart when you get sucked into the black hole that is vintage Rolex. Saying that, I have two Rolex, one with oringinal and service papers and one with service papers, however, I suspect my next, being a vintage, probably 1960's piece is highly unlikely to have papers. Buy the seller is key for me. Plus, papers can be faked to, just trawl that auction site!

you will have a reduced market when it comes to selling.
    Of that there is no doubt. But the market is still huge IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JakubL View Post
    GMT 2012 for 4400GBP not bad not bad but as previously said you can easily find it on chrono much cheaper or anywhere else including watch forums like this. I do not understand the bluster around this site. Or are there people lazy to search?
    Watchfinder will provide the watch refinished to Rolex standards, timing checked, water resistance checked and with a 1 or 2 year warranty. It's not bluster and not the same as buying privately or from a random shop in Italy, Spain or Greece.

Yes, but do you really believe that the people who can manufacture a fake Rolex to a standard that makes it very difficult to distinguish from the real thing are not also capable of producing very convincing fake boxes, papers and receipts?

I do wonder about the authenticity of the boxes provided by the likes of Watchfinder and many other similar dealers. When I was last in Watches of Distinction in Lymington, the shop seemed to be full of identical, pristine Rolex boxes. How come all these watches with no papers still have an associated box? Or are the boxes actually from a, ahem, non-Rolex source, and sold with the watch as only the most obsessional WIS would be likely to complain about the box that the watch comes in? I suspect that most (non WIS) buyers throw the box away, and certainly wouldn't have a clue that such a thing as fake boxes exist.

However, I've never bought a watch from Watchfinder, so I would be very interested to know: if anyone has bought a "box but no papers" Rolex from Watchfinder, was the box definitely authentic?

Watchfinder will provide the watch refinished to Rolex standards, timing checked, water resistance checked and with a 1 or 2 year warranty. It's not bluster and not the same as buying privately or from a random shop in Italy, Spain or Greece.
    Yes, but the prices on Chrono24 are often up to £1000 cheaper (and many of the sellers are reputable dealers, who will provide a good quality watch with a warranty anyway), which leaves plenty of margin to get an RSC service and still be well ahead.

Blog Entries
    All green subs sold

Interesting how many Rolex on the upcoming Fellows auction are without box
    and papers.....and the estimates don't seem to reflect much of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Yes, but the prices on Chrono24 are often up to £1000 cheaper (and many of the sellers are reputable dealers, who will provide a good quality watch with a warranty anyway), which leaves plenty of margin to get an RSC service and still be well ahead.
    Cool. 'Often' 1000 cheaper or 'once in a blue moon' 1000 cheaper? You buy your watches from there then and I'll keep getting great deals face to face at the Royal Exchange Boutique, enjoying the benefits of a UK warrantied item that can be sorted face to face if need be.

Everyone's a winner :)

Has anyone living in Europe dealt with them? I would love to be able to drop in
    to the boutique but am rarely in the UK these days.

Cool. 'Often' 1000 cheaper or 'once in a blue moon' 1000 cheaper? You buy your watches from there then and I'll keep getting great deals face to face at the Royal Exchange Boutique, enjoying the benefits of a UK warrantied item that can be sorted face to face if need be.

Everyone's a winner :)
    +1. Chrone24 prices can be cheap but it's a bit nervous sending money abroad and hoping the watch will turn up. You can fly over but that is hassle

Craftsman
    I have bought two watches from them in the last 6 months & the service was outstanding. I would have bought two more, but DB9YETI beat me to them! It's always a nice experience going into the boutique at the Royal Exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    I was just going to post this too. I'd go further and say they are better than "pretty good" - a Sub LV for £3900 anyone?! (someone got it as it's gone now). Loads of Explorer IIs for £2650, late model ExpII for £4k, Subs for just over £3k and even ceramic Sub dates for £4,450.

Ant
    Is watchfinder reputable? TBH, I have always found their website to look very similar to one of the replica sites I have stumbled across lol..

Quote Originally Posted by SiderealJ View Post
    Is watchfinder reputable? TBH, I have always found their website to look very similar to one of the replica sites I have stumbled across lol..
    Short answer, yes!

Craftsman
    I made an enquiry on Tuesday , got a reply by phone on Wednesday answering my questions ,when asking about his best price he stuck to his guns and wouldn't budge.

Got a phone call this afternoon off the same guy , saying the price he wants was his cost price and he wouldn't budge , ring me when you reduce it a touch further and I'll buy it , " I'll not be ringing you " was his reply.

Fair enough, no great loss to me.

I have bought 3 watches from them recently.

One was a NOS Omega and was as described, but a SubC, which I checked was a UK watch, arrived with docs from Saudi Arabia!

Needless to say it went straight back and they refunded within 3 days!

Quote Originally Posted by djkennedy67 View Post
    I have bought 3 watches from them recently.

One was a NOS Omega and was as described, but a SubC, which I checked was a UK watch, arrived with docs from Saudi Arabia!

Needless to say it went straight back and they refunded within 3 days!
    Was there any explanation as to why the docs were from Saudi Arabia?

Im guessing that they are trying to pull the wool over some watch buyers eyes....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Short answer, yes!
    It seems like that they have a few bad apple mixed in their basket... But no problems refunding at all if something was odd?

Quote Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
    From then I have been very sceptical about the WF business
    I have not highlighted the rest of your post so you can delete it if there is an ounce of sense in your head.

You can not go around saying that kind of thing without any kind of evidence or proof (which I assume you have absolutely zero?) and sadly the owner of this site can be held resonsible for what is published on here by people like you. Delete it, now. This isn't pub where you're chatting with your mates, what you are saying is being published online and is libellous in the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
    Was there any explanation as to why the docs were from Saudi Arabia?

Im guessing that they are trying to pull the wool over some watch buyers eyes....
    I assume they made a mistake, they have thousands of watches. They corrected their mistake promptly, right?

Journeyman
    Watchfinder appear to be doing another flash sale.
    I didn't get an email from them but there is a banner on their website.

Craftsman
    Just had a look at their Rolexes on Sale. Still too expensive, only 200-400 off already over priced watches.

£3600 for a 16600 is pretty decent isn't it? Without a bracelet, mind. Or £3600 for a 16760? If I had the cash sitting about I'd have probably jumped on the GMT.

Banned
    Watchfinder are just rip off merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    £3600 for a 16600 is pretty decent isn't it? Without a bracelet, mind. Or £3600 for a 16760? If I had the cash sitting about I'd have probably jumped on the GMT.
    Is that the 16600 with much darker lume in the seconds hand and badly applied lume in the plots on the dial? As Mr Backward Point pointed out to me earlier, SDs have to go to Rolex for service, so who has been messing around with that one?
    "A man of little significance"

I asked about their previous 'flash sale' and apparently all the Rolex went at trade price i.e. what they bought them in at. Simply overstocked.

Haven't looked at this one, as mentioned no email this time I don't think!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    There was a 1999 sea dweller with box and papers for £3650. Steel bracelet. I've pressed the buy button and it is arriving tomorrow. Feeling a bit nervous that all will be ok, I guess I'll know shortly!

Feeding frenzy alert and in such shallow waters.

Last edited by number2; 24th April 2014 at 09:11.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Exclamation

Brave man!! :) Hope it works out for you though.

There was a 1999 sea dweller with box and papers for £3650. Steel bracelet. I've pressed the buy button and it is arriving tomorrow. Feeling a bit nervous that all will be ok, I guess I'll know shortly!

I bought a seadweller in their last sale. It came with a Rolex service guarantee dating from November 2013. They didn't mention that in the description so I got a bonus of 21 months Rolex warranty and a watch that was to all intents and purposes brand new!

Original box, original Rolex papers?
    "A man of little significance"

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Original box, original Rolex papers?
    Will find out later today. Apparently I've got 7 days in which to return if I don't want it.

Master
    I'm always tempted for a 116400 even though have no need for one. Cant beat an impulse purchase.

GV at 4200 is there or thereabouts pricewise from a dealer isnt it?

Journeyman
    The sea dweller has just arrived!
    I've decided to post a couple of pics for those more in the know (sorry for the quality).... a deal or do I return?
    The paper part says it is from August 1999, and there are a couple of leaflets present. Everything that you see in the photo is what was present.
    It's just been serviced by Watchfinder and has apparently had a replacement bezel and a light refurbish. The bezel has light dust/fluff on it in the photo, there aren't any permanent marks on it at all. I can't see any marks on the case, I expect it's had a polish though, and the glass appears free of any marks/scratches.
    What else do I need to look out for?
    Pre sale it was stickered up at £4,995 but I paid £3,650.

Someone will be along to vent their disgust at the business, and your stupidity and ignorance for buying from them but that looks like a steal!!

Great watch, enjoy it. I sold my 16600 to them for 4200 quid a few months back in worse condition that that.

Well done :)

Journeyman
    Looks very nice, at least it has box and original perforated papers, that's a plus point.
    What's the bracelet like, is the clasp in good order?