closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: £600 - what would you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    OK, so I'm hoping to be in a position soon to spend £600 (max) on a new addition to the collection. I've kind of got an Orient Star Retrograde in mind but, before I take the plunge I thought it might be fun to see what else was out there. So, here's what I want and don't want - suggestions welcome!

- No divers. I already have my Sea-Dweller and my Vostok Amphibia. Between them they're pretty much all the diver I need.
    - It wants to be mechanical.
    - I do like a display back, but this isn't essential
    - Controversially I don't think one of our host's watches is for me. I know they're good,but they just don't move me I'm afraid
    - I quite like the Junghans Max Bill but it's out of budget and I'm not sure I want plexiglass when the Orient has sapphire
    - No Fliegers
    - it doesn't have to be new, but if second hand it has to be something that comes up reasonably often.

Any ideas?
    Was about to suggest vostok lol. great watch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SiderealJ View Post
    Was about to suggest vostok lol. great watch
    Indeed they are!

Craftsman
    OK everyone. Thanks for all your input - I don't think there's a single watch suggested that I haven't looked at, and you've certainly swayed my opinion. I think the Orient Star Retrograde might be.... off the list!

The reason is that, although it gets very good reviews, is very well made and has some features (retrograde/power reserve) that none of my other watches have, I suspect the face might be just too busy for the kind of watch I'm looking for. Not the number of hands, but for all the different textures (I'd like to say guilloching, but I'm sure it's not done with guilloche!). I've also refined my want list to reflect the fact that this watch will go into my collection, and therefore only be worn periodically. So I've ruled out Day-Dates as they take even longer to reset if they stop than watches with dates only.

I really liked Andy Schuhren's deck watch, but the likelihood is that it will be sold before I'm in a position to make my move, so I'm ruling that out too. Good luck with it Andy, and I'm sorry you've decided to wrap things up.

I looked at Stowa (similar theme) but the only Stowa Marine in my price band has a solid back and is automatic rather than hand wound (automatic is OK - as you'll see with the shortlist, but I'd prefer hand wound for this one). If I want a display back the Stowas get too expensive. Plus there's the wait....

I like the Hamilton IntaMatic. I've seen them in shop windows and liked them there. However, there's something about the silver dial and retro look that reminds me of my Raketa World Time, so I've ruled that one out too.

Certina - I had a good look and, although they're handsome, I'm not sold yet. I'm happy to be persuaded some more. The Mido is an interesting looking beast - but day date again.

So.... current shortlist and I'd be interested in opinions from anyone who knows anything about these watches:

1. Sticking with Orient we'll go for a less fussy Orient Star, the 5004. Classic look, still has the power reserve meter, but isn't as fussy as the Retrograde. http://www.seriouswatches.com/orient...-el05004w.html

2. What about an Archimede? I do like the look of this deck watch. It's hand wound, no date at all, bog standard ETA movement so easy to service, and has a display back. http://www.archimede-watches.com/arc...navy-6498.html

Opinions/suggestions welcome as always. If anyone owns one and can put up wrist shots/describe their experiences then even better!

Thanks again

Patrick

Hamilton jazzmaster as mentioned, from me, too.

I face a similar dilemma to you. I had been thinking that the Speedbird GMT is a no brainer but funnily enough, now the Orient Star retrograde does look like a possibility. Fantastic value for the complications and the dial looks great. I think it looks better in black than white though because of the contrast of the silver hands.

This review is particularly persuasive!
    http://www.ablogtowatch.com/orient-s...-watch-review/
    Last edited by mindforge; 13th February 2014 at 15:57.

Craftsman
    And the Orient Star Retrograde goes back on top after receiving the seal of approval from the MemSahib. Unfortunately the Archimede Deck watch was roundly torpedoed - "I don't like that, it looks like a child's watch". Another time perhaps....

Craftsman
    Well, after much deliberation I've ordered the Archimede in spite of the Memsahib's dislike. Let the waiting begin. Thanks again everyone for your ideas and I'll post pictures when it arrives

Only good 2nd hand Swiss display back eta movement you're going to get in that price range is Oris, check chrono24 the prices on the continent are dropping. You'd be surprised what £600 get you,

http://www.chrono24.com/en/oris/bc3-...acturerIds=188

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zecko View Post
    Only good 2nd hand Swiss display back eta movement you're going to get in that price range is Oris, check chrono24 the prices on the continent are dropping. You'd be surprised what £600 get you,

http://www.chrono24.com/en/oris/bc3-...acturerIds=188
    Thanks. I've been all over Chrono24 and not found anything I like. I am happy with my choice, I think. Always a risk ordering unseen but I like those Marine style watches and I don't have anything like that currently so I'm looking forward to it. I did stretch the original budget a bit and splash out on a top grade ETA movement.

Yes the Archimede is a good choice and the eta 649x (formerly Unitas) is a good movement, in fact Panerai uses it in its base model so you're getting a lot of watch for the money!

http://monochrome-watches.com/unitas...anerai-cimier/

What about one of these?

Classic size, great proportion, clean dial, superb bracelet...

Craftsman
    Thanks again everyone - if you haven't spotted it I've posted unveiling pictures here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ival-unveiling.

It was a little more than £600 in the end, as I went for the top grade movement. Still a lot of watch for £750 IMHO and I'm very pleased with it.

Thanks again everyone - if you haven't spotted it I've posted unveiling pictures here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ival-unveiling.

It was a little more than £600 in the end, as I went for the top grade movement. Still a lot of watch for £750 IMHO and I'm very pleased with it.
    That looks really great. If you ask me, you should still get the Retrograde anyway , you can find it for around £300 or less which is a great deal. Am wearing mine right now, the thing I love most about it is the double-domes sapphire which looks absolutely stunning and yet you can still tell time from pretty much every angle!

I was worried about the thickness a bit I must say (14.3mm) but it rides my wrist like THIS, very comfy !

Go on then, you know you have to have it !
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 24th April 2014 at 11:40.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    That looks really great. If you ask me, you should still get the Retrograde anyway , you can find it for around £300 or less which is a great deal. Am wearing mine right now, the thing I love most about it is the double-domes sapphire which looks absolutely stunning and yet you can still tell time from pretty much every angle!

I was worried about the thickness a bit I must say (14.3mm) but it rides my wrist like THIS, very comfy !

Go on then, you know you have to have it !
    We'll see. I've got the Bambino incoming so that will probably be enough Orient for now!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    44mm. I can't go that big. The Archimede is perfect at 42mm.

We'll see. I've got the Bambino incoming so that will probably be enough Orient for now!

A, the Bambino...yes, forgot about the other thread

I need to get another one too I think, I've had a Bambino then I let it go, maybe I'll get the black one this time

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    A, the Bambino...yes, forgot about the other thread

I need to get another one too I think, I've had a Bambino then I let it go, maybe I'll get the black one this time
    I went for the black one and have also ordered a Hirsch 21 mm strap for it as I'm not sure the standard one is going to suit me. Looking forward to it 😀

Master
    Something like this, with a Lemania 5100, would fit the bill for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Something like this, with a Lemania 5100, would fit the bill for me.

Oh wow, now that's something with a lot of character indeed!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Slightly over budget at £630 but my wife bought the ladies version of this over the weekend and I'm really impressed with it.

Tissot luxury automatic COSC.
    Hey Franky

Thats looks very smart. Where did you get that from? I cant find it available from stores via the net?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bins View Post
    Hey Franky

Thats looks very smart. Where did you get that from? I cant find it available from stores via the net?
    Jura have the white face model on their site http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collect...0-watch-ts-407

Seeing as you already seem to be a bit of a Russian fan, here's a couple of more expensive options:

Denissov Barracuda (other styles of dial available) When I eventually find a second-hand one on ebay I will buy it. Bit too much new for me:

My all time favourite - Poljot Okean:

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Slightly over budget at £630 but my wife bought the ladies version of this over the weekend and I'm really impressed with it.

Tissot luxury automatic COSC.
    +1

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Seeing as you already seem to be a bit of a Russian fan, here's a couple of more expensive options:

Denissov Barracuda (other styles of dial available) When I eventually find a second-hand one on ebay I will buy it. Bit too much new for me:

My all time favourite - Poljot Okean:
    I have to say the Okean has never really done it for me, but I might do some research on Denissov for another time. This being a resurrected thread the actual £600 is long gone.......

Quote Originally Posted by bins View Post
    Hey Franky

I didn't buy that model in the end...however my wife has the ladies and it's great value.
    It was available from the UK Tissot online store....search under their auto COSC section.

I went for this one in the end which was similarly priced.

Tissot Couturier auto.

Here is a link for the other one though..
    http://uk.tissotshop.com/tissot-luxu...gent-cosc.html

I have to say the Okean has never really done it for me, but I might do some research on Denissov for another time. This being a resurrected thread the actual £600 is long gone.......
    Oops - missed that bit. Nice purchase ;)

Secondhand Oris diver. Might be able to squeeze into a small secondhand version at that price point.