closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-29B Nearly gone?

PRS-29B Nearly gone?

I may be wrong, but having just played the how many are left in stock game, I think Eddie may be down to his last one. If anyone is thinking about it, I wouldn't hang around.
    It's superb with the double domed sapphire and works so well with so many strap types.

Was there talk of a PRS-29C with a single dome sapphire?
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I think, when I was looking at these prior to buying one, the double-domed sapphire was a manufacturer mistake and Eddie had no intention of the crystal being double-domed. Any future 29B's will only have a single domed crystal, but it will remain a 29B.

I'm sure Eddie can clarify?

I wonder about a 29A with a domed sapphire option.

Master
    Not sure why the crystal is a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by andyjay View Post
    I think, when I was looking at these prior to buying one, the double-domed sapphire was a manufacturer mistake and Eddie had no intention of the crystal being double-domed. Any future 29B's will only have a single domed crystal, but it will remain a 29B.

That's right - the double domed crystal was an "error" from which we lucky owners have befitted. I was contemplating whether, should there be more 39mm Smiths Military watches, their designation may change to distinguish them from originals. That may not of course be necessary, given that a new batch would have distinguishable serial numbers - and crystals.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Not sure why the crystal is a mistake?
    It wasn't as specified and they are more expensive than single domed versions. If I recall correctly.
    David

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    It wasn't as specified and they are more expensive than single domed versions. If I recall correctly.
    Ah - I see - thanks

Not quite: I specified double-domed and the manufacturer confirmed double-domed when I received and accepted the quote. He then came back and said he'd only quoted for a single domed and that the double-domed was much more expensive. After a bit of "discussion" he agreed to supply double-domed at the same price but any repeat orders would have to pay the correct price.

Sinn offers a double-domed upgrade for one of their models and the crystal upgrade costs more than a complete PRS-29B.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman

Strap

I may be wrong, but having just played the how many are left in stock game, I think Eddie may be down to his last one. If anyone is thinking about it, I wouldn't hang around.
    It's superb with the double domed sapphire and works so well with so many strap types.

From what I see that is a nice looking strap could you put up some more pictures of this combination ? and what is the brand please.

thanks,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by artonthewrist View Post
    From what I see that is a nice looking strap could you put up some more pictures of this combination ? and what is the brand please.

thanks,
    Dan
    Hi Dan,

thank you very much. I'm afraid I don't have any more shots of the PRS-29B on this strap which is a Horween shell cordovan from Nomos.
    Although I do have a shot of my Speedmaster on the same strap. I originally intended it for the Speedy but it now lives on the 29B which for
    me is the perfect combination.

There's more information about the strap on this thread.

Cheers

David
    David

Journeyman

Gone but may buy another

Hi Dan,

thank you very much. I'm afraid I don't have any more shots of the PRS-29B on this strap which is a Horween shell cordovan from Nomos.
    Although I do have a shot of my Speedmaster on the same strap. I originally intended it for the Speedy but it now lives on the 29B which for
    me is the perfect combination.

There's more information about the strap on this thread.

Cheers

David
    I had a 29b at one time but sold and actually really miss it just had a hard time finding a strap I liked then came across something else and let mine go but intend to buy before there gone especially since this strap that you have shown has come across the bow so to speak. I just bought and have an incoming horween strap by choicecuts which will be totally new for me. I have heard a lot about horween but never have had anything done in it so I am kind of excited to see how it looks and wears and if you've the time perhaps you could give me your horween experiences ?

regards and cheers,
    Dan

Looking great with this strap!

Quote Originally Posted by artonthewrist View Post
    I had a 29b at one time but sold and actually really miss it just had a hard time finding a strap I liked then came across something else and let mine go but intend to buy before there gone especially since this strap that you have shown has come across the bow so to speak. I just bought and have an incoming horween strap by choicecuts which will be totally new for me. I have heard a lot about horween but never have had anything done in it so I am kind of excited to see how it looks and wears and if you've the time perhaps you could give me your horween experiences ?

regards and cheers,
    Dan
    Nice one Dan - I have a couple of shell cordovan straps and my wallet is made from the stuff too.

It's hard wearing, long lasting and flexible - so in my book it's worth the premium over some other leather strap, plus it smells nice. There are many sellers of shell cordovan, including a couple of our fellow members on TZ-UK. My personal preference though, in terms of value for money and wear are the Nomos straps.

Thanks for the pointer to Choice cuts. I foresee some browsing...

Good luck!
    David

Journeyman

my thanks

[QUOTE=dkpw;3032297]Nice one Dan - I have a couple of shell cordovan straps and my wallet is made from the stuff too.

It's hard wearing, long lasting and flexible - so in my book it's worth the premium over some other leather strap, plus it smells nice. There are many sellers of shell cordovan, including a couple of our fellow members on TZ-UK. My personal preference though, in terms of value for money and wear are the Nomos straps.

Good luck![/QUOTE

Man o man I love this hobby/obsession,

I really appreciate your feedback and as far as Choicecuts I had seen an add on Watchrecon which led me to his site and was pleased to find he was a US seller and a WUS member as well, kinda helps being a little more local and his price seemed super reasonable, selling me the strap of interest for 52.00 usd so not much of a risk.

thanks again and nice wallet by the way,

Dan

I'm so tempted to get a 29B after seeing this video.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN1N4PDR6bg

My concern is that the lug to lug size is going to be too big for my 7 inch wrist to pull off successfully and that I should therefore go with the smaller 29A. Does anyone with a similar wrist size have any experience of wearing the 29B?

Also, am I right in thinking that the fixed bars of the 29A limit what straps are available? I particularly like the Rios strap used in the video but fear the look won't be achievable with the 29A due to its fixed bars. Thanks.

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I'm so tempted to get a 29B after seeing this video.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN1N4PDR6bg

My concern is that the lug to lug size is going to be too big for my 7 inch wrist to pull off successfully and that I should therefore go with the smaller 29A. Does anyone with a similar wrist size have any experience of wearing the 29B?

Also, am I right in thinking that the fixed bars of the 29A limit what straps are available? I particularly like the Rios strap used in the video but fear the look won't be achievable with the 29A due to its fixed bars. Thanks.
    Started reading your post and was thinking just get a 29a as it's the best size for this type of watch and has the correct fixed spring bars.
    Got to the end and thought dammit he doesn't want fixed springbars. Yeah you're correct in that they limit your strap choice. In a good way for me as I like natos and suchlike.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
    Yeah you're correct in that they limit your strap choice. In a good way for me as I like natos and suchlike.
    It's the look of the watch in the video that has particularly turned me on to this model. I'm not a massive nato fan (although to be fair I've never really experienced them). Is the look of the slim tan Rios in the video simply not achievable on the 29A? Thanks

One of my favourite watches. Maybe I need to try it on another strap too :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice one Dan - I have a couple of shell cordovan straps and my wallet is made from the stuff too.

Good luck!
    I love the look of that wallet. Is there a UK stockist?

I would imagine that a PRS-29A might suit a Hirsch Camelgrain Open Ended strap.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I would imagine that a PRS-29A might suit a Hirsch Camelgrain Open Ended strap.
    Hmmm interesting. Had a quick look at it online and that Hirsch strap is closer in look to the Rios featured in the video. I'm such a noob, does 'open ended' mean it can be used on a fixed bar watch?

Hmmm interesting. Had a quick look at it online and that Hirsch strap is closer in look to the Rios featured in the video. I'm such a noob, does 'open ended' mean it can be used on a fixed bar watch?
    Yes, but there are different types of open ended strap. The one I referred to, once looped behind the fixed bar is permanently glued for the life of the strap. Other types are detachable by means of threaded fixings, small folding tags or open ended spring metal loops.

Yes, but there are different types of open ended strap. The one I referred to, once looped behind the fixed bar is permanently glued for the life of the strap. Other types are detachable by means of threaded fixings, small folding tags or open ended spring metal loops.
    I see. Thanks. Looks like the straps that are similar (to the one in the video) for the 29A come at the cost of being permanent glue types.

Are there any pictures of the 29A fitted with the straps that they come supplied with?

Master
    I see. Thanks. Looks like the straps that are similar (to the one in the video) for the 29A come at the cost of being permanent glue types.

Are there any pictures of the 29A fitted with the straps that they come supplied with?
    Here you go:

Thanks Teadazed. How have you got on with the suplied straps? The balck looks good, such that I can see in the photo.

I wonder about a 29A with a domed sapphire option.
    Even better if available in two options:

1. Original spec as is.

2. With Polished case & Domed Sapphire & Spring Bars (I'm thinking of an alternative to the Stowa Partitio).

Master
    Thanks Teadazed. How have you got on with the suplied straps? The balck looks good, such that I can see in the photo.
    The black looks better on the watch to my eyes. The supplied straps aren't bad at all, surprisingly comfy when they've formed to wrist shape and are good match for the watch. They are quite long though if you have a smaller wrist (one of the reasons I bought the 29A over the 29B) and I had to punch an extra hole.

Certainly a decent alternative to a nato.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I love the look of that wallet. Is there a UK stockist?
    There may be someone similar but Chester Mox are US based and sadly no longer use Horween Shell Cordovan.
    David

Re straps for fixed bars:

There's this thread in BMW http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ar-mil-watches

I've found the Rios "Diplomat" strap to be excellent on fixed bar mil watches - really dresses them up a bit.

It's a a two-piece clip-on strap, made in Germany, very good quality and wears down nicely. I use the 20mm size - a bit cramped on the bars my Smiths W10 and CWC G10 but not so you'd notice.

Anyway, ordered a new one (so not yet broken in - no patina or wabi) and thought I'd post some q&d pics.

Enjoy!

An old Rios on my Smiths

and the new one on the CWC

Master
    I have just picked up a 29B from sales corner. Had thought about one for a while but was concerned about lug to lug measurement. Should have got one earlier as a great watch that sits very well on the wrist. Looking forward to trying with different straps but does seem very versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    I have just picked up a 29B from sales corner. Had thought about one for a while but was concerned about lug to lug measurement. Should have got one earlier as a great watch that sits very well on the wrist. Looking forward to trying with different straps but does seem very versatile.
    Can I ask how big your wrist is please? I'm trying to decide between 29A and 29B. Thanks. :-)

Master
    Can I ask how big your wrist is please? I'm trying to decide between 29A and 29B. Thanks. :-)
    About 7 1/2 inches quick iphone pic attached showing wrist shot.

Attachment 5674

About 7 1/2 inches quick iphone pic attached showing wrist shot.

Attachment 5674
    Thanks for the reply :-)

In case it helps anyone, here's mine on my 7 - 7.25" wrist:

First with Hirsch tan

and then on a TF canvas.

David

I have a 29B, and i have to say, that for a someone who is not to fond of Nato's, the 29 fits best on a Nato. I wear mine on two, the grey one that comes with it, and a TF black, which I really like. I have tried it on 'traditional' straps, but it just doesn't work as well...

I have a 29B, and i have to say, that for a someone who is not to fond of Nato's, the 29 fits best on a Nato. I wear mine on two, the grey one that comes with it, and a TF black, which I really like. I have tried it on 'traditional' straps, but it just doesn't work as well...
    I agree with this… but David's straps are making me feel I should give a two piece strap another go. My problem is I feel there is to much space left with the longer lugs and a NATO fills that in really well. In fact I prefer it on a NATO without the extra bit, so its all tucked under my wrist…