closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Page and Cooper now European AD for Marathon watches l

Page and Cooper now European AD for Marathon watches l

http://www.pageandcooper.com/watches...athon-watches/

Not sure what I think I about the pricing on the SAR models but I might pick up a Navigator.

Interesting. I share an office with P&C, although unfortunately I'm rarely there. Jonathan's a very nice bloke too (I have to say that as he may be reading this )

Master
    Good news,just remember to add vat on to the website prices.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    That explains my sudden jolt.

Not so many sources for Marathon in Europe and this one was the cheapest I have seen, I now know why.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out, I had dreams based on those prices !

I really think it is a little disingenuous of P and C not to put the full retail price on the website.
    I know we can all add on 20% without the aid of a quantum computer but the strategy to me is wrong....It kind of reminds me of Ryanair.
    Potential buyers maybe initially attracted to the lower price quotes but when they cop it they are less likely to buy IMHO as it kind of leaves a bad taste in the mouth.....again that Ryanair taste.

Master
    I agree: the website prices should include VAT.

That said, it's the only negative about P&C. I wish Jonathan well. P&C has great customer service.

Master
    I've recently bought a Squale limited edition 1521 'super matte' diver from P&C, and I must say the personal service and customer care were very impressive.
    Jonathan's clearly a watch enthusiast.

Those Navigators look nice... I've not seen them before. Anyone have first hand experience to offer a review?

Happy to see more Marathon European presence as I like their watches, but ouch, the prices.... As a rough calculation for a GSAR (sterile dial), for example, that would be including taxes:

In the USA: $817.10 USD = £495.97

In the UK: £640.87 + £128.17 VAT = £769.04 = $1266.99

So basically 55% more...

Hello all

Nice to see you've picked up our new contact with Marathon. We've been talking to them for some time and they've been massively supportive. Marathon have been totally helpful and forthcoming with a huge amount of technical information and to be blunt they all look amazing value for Swiss made watches with Swiss movements and a genuine military heritage.

We are just trying to work our way through the range and get the specs and details correct.

Marathon or the relevant government departments do not use the TSAR, GSAR nomenclature at all, so trying to make sure that we don't misquote things.

As for the VAT issue I perfectly understand, but we get many many enquiries from people who tell us that they've seen a watch on the net elsewhere and it's 20% cheaper etc etc.

Many people still believe if they buy a watch outside the EU they won't pay VAT or duty and their warranty will be valid.

At least this way we can show that our net price is the same if not better.

Also we have many many overseas customers (and many who pop into us whilst in London who are able to claim the VAT back when they leave) who just cannot comprehend 20% sales tax.

As for the price difference quoted above, we are simply using the Marathon recommended retail price list.

The sterile diver is not quoted on the 2013/2014 price list.

We would certainly not add a whopping 55% mark up.

Of course I will be doing videos and reviews and really getting to know Marathon very well.

Of course it would be great to see any of you if you'd like to pop in and see us in person. If you contact us and are a TZ member do let me know.

Once again apologies if this post is a little commercial, as kindly mentioned before I am an enthusiast member on TZ and enjoy this forum and the many varied views.......plus the music and cars bits!
    Last edited by jbbusybee; 31st January 2014 at 16:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    That explains my sudden jolt.

Not so many sources for Marathon in Europe and this one was the cheapest I have seen, I now know why.
    Bit naughty i know,hopefully most buyers will have checked before they confirm their purchases!

Not really interested in marathon but p&c are great. Bought a damasko from them in the past and hope to pick up another damasko or a sinn in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by jbbusybee View Post
    As for the price difference quoted above, we are simply using the Marathon recommended retail price list.

The sterile diver is not quoted on the 2013/2014 price list.

We would certainly not add a whopping 55% mark up.
    I was referring to the relative prices of the Divers Automatic without "US Government" logo, i.e. what everyone calls the sterile GSAR "WW194006":

http://www.pageandcooper.com/maratho...r-s-automatic/

http://www.topspecus.com/shop/marath...94006-sterile/

I should add that I recognise both the warranty aspect and the customer service aspect (of which I have read many excellent things about Page and Cooper). I also appreciate the posts you make here and the very useful videos on your site. I am just pointing out the absolute price differential, which isn't insignificant...
    Last edited by occamsrazor; 31st January 2014 at 18:25.

Interesting news: when I approached Marathon in around 2006 they said that they would only supply "accredited military suppliers". I guess P&C must be an accredited military supplier or Marathon need the business.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    I'm a big fan and want to purchase but not at these prices and they i know there charging retail and throwing in free post and package . To be honest Im considering stateside holiday and avoid paying through the nose.The holiday was on the cards anyway .

Quote Originally Posted by occamsrazor View Post
    Happy to see more Marathon European presence as I like their watches, but ouch, the prices.... As a rough calculation for a GSAR (sterile dial), for example, that would be including taxes:

So basically 55% more...
    Presumably you've got to add import duty on top of the US price.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by occamsrazor View Post

So basically 55% more...
    That's not a fair comparison. If you buy one in the USA you will have to pay 20% VAT when it arrives in UK.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    That's not a fair comparison. If you buy one in the USA you will have to pay 20% VAT when it arrives in UK.
    I think he's pointing out what US customers pay for watches and what we pay for watches. There isn't such a disparity in the price of Rolex.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Not having a pop at P&C but have Marathons got a lot more expensive or is my memory failing me.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

The fungibility of Rolex watches is highly unusual.

Look at another, truly global brand, Apple: why do iPad Airs start at USD499 but GBP399?

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post

Look at another, truly global brand, Apple: why do iPad Airs start at USD499 but GBP399?
    Remember that many states have a local sales tax which will be added on top of the quoted RRP

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post

If you work on an exchange rate of about 1.57 (I know it is slightly better than that right now) and add 20 % for the vat , it is about the same.