closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Pre Owned

Journeyman

Buying Pre Owned

I'm considering the option of buying my next watch Pre Owned and most likely privately from the forums. I am however very nervous of transferring £x000's to a private seller I've never met before - it may all be done over the internet.

What a the precautionary steps taken to ensure the watch is genuine etc? Next watch will be IWC if that makes any odds ie specific checks.

Craftsman
    I was the same, I sent over £3500 to some one I had never met but figured that if they had a good reputation here I was safe. Ive only seen one thread about a bad trade/purchase and that was about a buyer not paying on time.

Ive often wondered about the value of the watches traded here over a week I bet its an eye watering amount.

I dont think there is any issues with buying pre-owned from a fellow forum member (I recently purchased my PO this way) but you need to do your homework - the saying 'buy the seller' is always applicable.

The 'Heroes and Villians forum would be a good place to start - do a search on the seller and read any reviews from previous transactions

Depending on both your locations there is always the option of a F2F deal, meeting at an agreed place (could be an AD to have the watch checked - the seller should be agreeable to this if all is legit)

Good Luck with your search

Research and buy the seller. It does take a leap of faith but there's some great people on here. Check the heroes and villains for feedback.

Understandable nervousness but as I say if you check out first you should be fine.

Master
    I would agree with comment about a F2F surely at this level it would be in everyone's interest.

Master
    I have bought twice, granted for low 100's, but I'm quite sure that in order for the watches to turn up as quickly as they did, the must have been sent before I'd even arranged the money transfer.
    All in all I recon buying from this forum is very safe.

I bought from here, £4k+ worth on my first day of access to SC!

It's a leap of faith; I've bought twice here now, email, call, F2F if you can all to make it easier for yourself. It's quite a mental thing to do I suppose but I've been doing it for years, seems normal now!

You can always meet at an AD for verification, but might not find the dealer helpful; what in it for him? All at his risk too and for what...

Master
    Just meet the seller if you're nervous. Meet half way perhaps and have a nice night in a hotel so,we here you haven't been before.

Journeyman
    Sound advice so far.

How do you check a watch for authenticity? Can you phone an AD and give then serial numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Just meet the seller if you're nervous. Meet half way perhaps and have a nice night in a hotel so,we here you haven't been before.
    Spending the night in a hotel with the seller isn't compulsory is it??

Craftsman
    It is a bit of a leap of faith but this is generally a good environment. If something doesn't feel right, you could always post your concern on Watch Talk for a second opinion (with consideration to the seller obviously). I've bought 6 watches on here now and sold a couple via PM correspondence. I always check H&V and have never had a problem. However, I wouldn't buy from someone with a relatively low post count and no H&V references.

Good luck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    It isn't?! Oh no I've been misinformed

Journeyman
    Some of the watch forums are international however and therefore so are the sellers. Obviously making it awkward to meet.

Or is this method frowned upon?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bryce View Post
    Some of the watch forums are international however and therefore so are the sellers. Obviously making it awkward to meet.

Or is this method frowned upon?
    I don't think it matters if it's frowned upon, but it makes you much more open to a scam. If Dave up the road scams you, there's hopefully more options than Dave scamming you on the other side of the world. Please just be very careful and use your common sense.

It's only a watch so if you feel uncomfortable at ANY point, back out and find another.

Craftsman

What happens in TZ stays in TZ.

I have completeed several deals on SC, one of them over £3,000 paid by bank transfer, then the watch was sent to me.
    No problems at all, a very pleasant experience.

Good people on this board, and much safer than ebay.
    I recommend it.

I think its set up fairly simply here - check H&V, ask lots of questions, check out other postings, job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tam View Post
    I think its set up fairly simply here - check H&V, ask lots of questions, check out other postings, spend the night together, job done.
    Fixed that for you

If I added up all the money I have sent to members on this forum, it would scare me. There are always ways of checking out a seller, and if you don't feel comfortable then, walk away.

There have only been a couple of purchases I haven't been happy to go ahead with on here (not that I backed out - only that I wouldn't make an offer), and that was because they were very new members with little contribution, low post count and no way of checking out there history for selling.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    If I added up all the money I have sent to members on this forum, it would scare me. There are always ways of checking out a seller, and if you don't feel comfortable then, walk away.

There have only been a couple of purchases I haven't been happy to go ahead with on here (not that I backed out - only that I wouldn't make an offer), and that was because they were very new members with little contribution, low post count and no way of checking out there history for selling.
    You need a post count of 250 and have been a member for 6 months before you can post on SC.
    That helps ensure sellers are genuine, and should keep scammers out altogether.

How do you check a watch for authenticity? Can you phone an AD and give then serial numbers?
    Mmm, not really no unless you have a great existing relationship with them. What's in it for them?

Again, it's about the seller. Anyone who has been on here for 6 months plus and chatted about watches and their own collections is extremely unlikely to be selling a hooky watch. But if you don't know the difference yourself, it's tough.

Everything in life is a risk. Doing your homework de-risks this procedure as far as possible.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    You need a post count of 250 and have been a member for 6 months before you can post on SC.
    Thats a good system and fills me with a little more confidence. I was under the impression it was 50 posts but I believe now thats just for the ability to view?

A lot of the other forums appear to allow posting for sale as soon as you sign up, then there's no track record whatsoever.

Thats a good system and fills me with a little more confidence. I was under the impression it was 50 posts but I believe now thats just for the ability to view?
    Correct!

If you were here for 6 months and hundreds of posts, that's a long time to be planning a scam!

Craftsman
    I think it's the only way really! Buying new is nice and hassle free to an extent but the depreciation is unreal!
    There are some good opportunities to pick up a very nice piece on forums, this one is especially good as you have to make a certain post count so it weeds out the bad guys.
    Just do your research and don't 'jump' into a deal just because it sounds good! Get all the info you can for a piece and even post questions about it on here

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    You do now, but that was not always the case.

Also, 6 months is not so long a time to build up a reputation. I may not sell a watch for over 6 months an then sell a a few for example. It all helps though.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    You usually get a hunch when you meet people and if it isnt right don't bother purchasing! I usually ask them to email me from their work address etc so you can obtain a real point of contact.

Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    You usually get a hunch when you meet people and if it isnt right don't bother purchasing! I usually ask them to email me from their work address etc so you can obtain a real point of contact.

the_dodgywatchseller@hotmail.com

If you're buying from a well established member of the this forum TBH it's them that's taking the risk with a newbie.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    If you're buying from a well established member of the this forum TBH it's them that's taking the risk with a newbie.
    A very good point! Thanks to the two chaps who have taken that 'risk' with me in my very few months on here.

How else do you pay for the watch? Cash?!

Master
    How? Not by BT – I presume you're referring to Paypal?
    Even then, it's only if it's done as a business transaction rather than gifting the money to the seller, that Paypal would entertain any (bogus) claim from the buyer.
    Everyone understands that as a buyer, the goods are sent only once payment has be received – so no seller could ever be at risk from a 'newbie' buyer.

Have bought a couple of ~£1k watches from here - the H & V forum is a definite bonus for the forums. I would also recommend reading a few of the seller's posts as it would help you to 'buy the seller'.

Craftsman
    No, but I guess it can't be completely ruled out as a voluntary occurrance, depending on a number of non watch related circumstances (likely including - but not limited to - alcohol). However, the nice and relaxed ambience may easily be ruined if it later turns out you have to raise some "warranty" claim (concerning the watch).

OTOH, I have never bought a watch on SC from a woman, so the opportunity has not presented itself to me. :-)
    Last edited by Leif; 20th January 2014 at 15:57.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    so no seller could ever be at risk from a 'newbie' buyer.
    I beg to differ.

You might get royally messed around before concluding the deal, or have to wait ages for the money.

You might then get the cash for the watch, but face months of whinging from someone with unrealistic expectations, threats to your reputation and a load of unwanted stress.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    Just sold a few watches elsewhere and really like it how trusting everyone is. They were all pretty low value but I don't have any reputation. I'm guessing not many people get scammed for only £50-£100 type money but I still like the sense of community and the trust around it.

Understand the nervousness - I'd be inclined to do a F2F for a significant purchase (I'd be just as concerned about the courier as anything else). If you can do your banking - paypal or otherwise - over a smartphone you can make sure you're happy, send the payment, show proof of payment and both parties can leave happy...

Sound advice so far.

Look back through the sellers posts. It's highly likely that the watch in question will have been shown off on the forum by the seller at some time and if it was none genuine someone would have picked up on it

Craftsman
    I find that it's RMSD or DHL that normally cause me the most stress.... and I have bought 3 watches on SC. The couriers worry me a lot more than the sellers!

Master
    I beg to differ.

You might get royally messed around before concluding the deal, or have to wait ages for the money.

You might then get the cash for the watch, but face months of whinging from someone with unrealistic expectations, threats to your reputation and a load of unwanted stress.
    You seem to have a very low opinion of newbies, something we all once were on each forum we're members of.
    Nothing there is the sole preserve of a "newbie" – in fact it could be exactly the opposite, since they'd be keen to prove their credentials/etc.

As for whinging, unrealistic expectations, etc – good photos will put paid to most of that, and it's not uncommon for sellers to offer a 24 hour appraisal period before deciding to keep or return (in the same condition as it arrived).

You seem to have a very low opinion of newbies, something we all once were on each forum we're members of.
    Nothing there is the sole preserve of a "newbie" – in fact it could be exactly the opposite, since they'd be keen to prove their credentials/etc.

As for whinging, unrealistic expectations, etc – good photos will put paid to most of that, and it's not uncommon for sellers to offer a 24 hour appraisal period before deciding to keep or return (in the same condition as it arrived).
    I don't have a low opinion of newbies, so please dont try to put words in my mouth. However, the ONLY problem I had with a sale was with one. He expected to run the chrono function on a vintage watch 24/7 without it affecting the time keeping. There was nothing wrong with my sales ad, or the watch and I have probably sold another 20 watches to new members with no problems at all.

I of course realize we were all new once, but until track record is established, there is a degree of risk in selling to new members.
    Last edited by andy tims; 20th January 2014 at 22:49.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    So 1 in 20 of your sales has resulted in a bit of a bad taste in your mouth, all because he was a bit naive about vintage timepieces?

........... Nope, I'm at a complete loss for words!

........... Nope, I'm at a complete loss for words!
    Splendid, long may it continue :)

I do hope you're not 'pouring scorn' on people's opinions..? ;)

I've bought 3 and sold 4 and I've never had a problem .....

However if it's for say an Explorer 11 that I would love to own then maybes I'd get on my bike and ride due to the amount of money .....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Can only echo the sentiments already stated.
    Check H/V and read the forum.. You'll soon get a feel for people.
    Everyone has/had to start somewhere.
    I think my first sale was a PO.. Since that initial step I've received fairly high value watches to view before I've sent payment, and I've done the same for others.. but only with people I talk to and trust.
    I think that's one of the elements of this forum that's a) completely insane and b) rather nice.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    If Dave up the road scams you, there's hopefully more options than Dave scamming you on the other side of the world.
    If I ever qualify for access to SC, I will certainly avoid anyone called Dave..

Chris

----
    Live forever or die trying

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    I would agree with comment about a F2F surely at this level it would be in everyone's interest.
    Yes I think as we all mostly live in the same country, when you are talking about a few thousands pounds both parties should be prepared to travel a fair bit if needs be. The truth is as nice or trusted as any member is, anything can happen to anyone at anytime, and desperation or just coldblooded revenge can take hold of anyone, so I would rather be safe than, albeit very unlikely with some members I accept, sorry.

The risk is far too high for just a luxury watch and something non-essential. Maybe for a few hundred pounds, but £1000 would be my limit for non F2F.
    Last edited by aksing; 21st January 2014 at 11:39.

Craftsman
    Only ever had great experiences in dealing with people on the forum, whether it's been f2f or bank transfers.
    Just do your homework and you'll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by brahman View Post
    If I ever qualify for access to SC, I will certainly avoid anyone called Dave..

Chris

----
    Live forever or die trying
    For the record, I've never had any complaints about any deal I've done on SC!!

Dave

Depending on where you are attend a GTG near you and get to meet some members. It helps to put faces to names and you get a chance to look at a whole range of watches in an easy going atmosphere.

As for authenticity I would not buy any expensive watch without all the supporting paperwork. Not a guarantee but certainly helps. The first expensive watch I bought from SC was done as a F2F and it was excellent with a great chat over a cup of coffee.

Craftsman
    I have purchased 2 watches from guys on the forum for around the £4,000 mark - one was a uk seller and the other from Malta.

Neither purchase was F2F and I must admit that I was very nervous about paying by BT. However, both the guys I bought from had great feed back in H & V and I felt reasonably confident that the guys were genuine together with the watches they had for sale.

There comes a point where you have to make a massive leap of faith and in my case I got two watches at a very good and fair price.

All turned out well in my case and I wouldn't hesitate to buy in this way again.

I have also sold 2 watches in SC and had similar experiences with the buyers.

I would say that as a newbie I would have preferred a F2F deal but distance was a large factor.