closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dehumidifiers - any recommendations?

Dehumidifiers - any recommendations?

Hi all,

We need to buy one of these in the very near future - anyone able to recommend one from first hand experience? Is it effective / are you happy with yours?

• Initial reading shows its a choice between two main types: dessicant VS compressor systems.
    • Our main concern is around noise - looks like they're all pretty noticable?
    • Another concern of course is cost to run...

Thoughts appreciated, recommendations welcomed!

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Hi all,

We need to buy one of these in the very near future - anyone able to recommend one from first hand experience? Is it effective / are you happy with yours?

• Initial reading shows its a choice between two main types: dessicant VS compressor systems.
    • Our main concern is around noise - looks like they're all pretty noticable?
    • Another concern of course is cost to run...

Thoughts appreciated, recommendations welcomed!
    We've had many makes over the years and you soon get used to the noise. We've always found the compressor ones better. Going back a few years ago abac were, IMO, the best however a few bad experiences has led me to believe they are now built in a shed somewhere. We now have a delonghi which has so far been great.

As far as cost of running is concerned.....if you need it and you're getting damp problems I wouldn't really worry about the running costs!!

FFF
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 20th January 2014 at 00:12.

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    We now have a delonghi which has so far been great.
    Which model do you have?

We dry our clothes inside so we've had a few dehumidifiers over the years. I have to echo FFF's comment about ebac - they seem very unreliable, we had loads of problems. Very noisy. Leaked. Broke down. Never again.

Went for a or a dessicant one this time - Ecoair - these are a lot quieter than compressor types, especially on low. The fans noisier on high, but still quieter than a compressor - very little vibration, which is what you notice on compressors. Much lighter to move around as well.

Apparently they use slightly more electricity, but ours has a convenient timer that you can just run for a numbe of hours, and it seems to keep the air pretty dry, even only on for several hours a day.

Master
    We have this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mitsubishi-M...d_sim_sbs_kh_3

Had it for nearly 5 years. Previously had a couple of Ebacs but had problems with both. This has been faultless and is reasonably quiet.

Thanks, Which model do you have?
    Its a delonghi tasciugo ariadry slim 12.
    http://www.delonghi.com/en-GB/produc...12-0148712202/

Forgot to say last night , we've had the cheaper ones from B&Q but they've also been rubbish and only lasted a few years. Stick with a branded one like Mitsubishi or Delonghi.

FFF
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 20th January 2014 at 08:01.

I've run noisy Delonghi's for years. They work OK but are very obtrusive and lasted an average of 18 months before needing replacing. Last time the Delonghi crapped out we switched to a Ruby Dry desiccant model and what a difference. Seems to be a lot more efficient (takes a lot more water out) and magnitudes quiter. Running costs I don't have a clue as they are just left on run 24/7.

http://www.ruby-dry-dehumidifiers.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    we switched to a Ruby Dry desiccant model and what a difference. Seems to be a lot more efficient (takes a lot more water out) and magnitudes quiter.
    Yes, that's what we've found with the dessicant type. I'm not quite sure on the technicalities of it, and the manufacturers blurb has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but I think that although compressor types are "rated" at e.g. 18/20 litres per day, they don't really get anywhere near than unless the conditions are ideal e.g. hot, humid summer day. The dessicant types are rated lower, but they tail off less with falling temp, so are actually more efficent in typical UK conditions. Ours is onlyey rated at 7 l/d but it pulls out just as much, if not more water than our compressor ones, which were rated much higher.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    We have this one

Had it for nearly 5 years. Previously had a couple of Ebacs but had problems with both. This has been faultless and is reasonably quiet.
    +1 for the Mitsubishi. Had one for years with no problems.

Its a delonghi tasciugo ariadry slim 12.
    http://www.delonghi.com/en-GB/produc...12-0148712202/

Forgot to say last night , we've had the cheaper ones from B&Q but they've also been rubbish and only lasted a few years. Stick with a branded one like Mitsubishi or Delonghi.

FFF
    I've got the 16l version of this and we've been happy. Great for drying clothes inside in the winter.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    The dessicant types are rated lower, but they tail off less with falling temp, so are actually more efficent in typical UK conditions.
    !!!!!!

VERY important practical info.

As to cost of running just have a look at the Wattage.

Ours has two 'speeds'; both the consumption and noise almost double on the second. We can only hear the thing at night so never use the heavy duty position overnight.

Although it has a drain plug which can be used to fit a tube, we are happy to empty the reservoir as a source for destilled water and to flush the toilet.
    We have VERY hard tap water over here and using the water from the reservoir for general cleaning/ clean windows makes a world of difference.

p.s. keeping the air filter meticulously clean has a huge effect on efficiency.

Journeyman
    I bought a Mitsubishi dehumidifier for my garage 10-12 years ago and it is still going strong.
    Great product.

I bought it from www.dry-it-out.com

Jon

Master
    There is a similar thread over on Pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...drying+time%3F

Ruby desiccant types seem quite popular with posters.

Unless it's costing you £20 a day I really wouldn't be worrying about running costs. For us,condensation was building up and mould was occurring in various places, since we've had the many over the years the mould has almost disappeared and condensation is at a minimum.
    The benefit of having one far out ways any costs incurred IMO.

FFF

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    !!!!!!

VERY important practical info.

As to cost of running just have a look at the Wattage.

Ours has two 'speeds'; both the consumption and noise almost double on the second. We can only hear the thing at night so never use the heavy duty position overnight.

Although it has a drain plug which can be used to fit a tube, we are happy to empty the reservoir as a source for destilled water and to flush the toilet.
    We have VERY hard tap water over here and using the water from the reservoir for general cleaning/ clean windows makes a world of difference.

p.s. keeping the air filter meticulously clean has a huge effect on efficiency.
    I'll remember about the filter. Never really bothered with our old one, but I suspect the desiccant ones are a bit more temperamental.

Yes, the consumption difference between high and low is quite marked - 620W vs 360W, and the noise level goes from very quiet to quite noisy (but still less noisy than our previous compressor types).

We generally just run for 4 hours when we put washing out, and it seems to pull the same amount of water out of the air as the old one did running over a longer period, so in theory the consumption is the same or better, especially considering that for much of the year the room is at not much more than 20C, less when we're not in. (I believe a lot of compressor dehmidifier ratings for l/d are at 30C - very rarely achieved in the UK!).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Unless it's costing you £20 a day I really wouldn't be worrying about running costs. For us,condensation was building up and mould was occurring in various places, since we've had the many over the years the mould has almost disappeared and condensation is at a minimum.
    The benefit of having one far out ways any costs incurred IMO.

FFF
    Even a measely 2 quid per day is 60/month, 300/winter season etc. ... easily a Rolex SpeedKing worth by the time you need a new one.

So yes, the reduction in mould etc. is WELL worth the running costs but comparing the various machine ratings with your need is well worth the time.

Over here in Spain we have electricity bills condemned by the european commission for that but that is cheerfully ignored and rates are forecasted to rise at least 20% over 2014 so that would make it an AirKing worth!
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 20th January 2014 at 15:01.

Journeyman
    dessicant not much use

compressor type work great on auto I got one in Aldi recently Silvercrest make built in timer and auto humidty function

I have a 15 year old de longhi thing that just will not die. It's much larger than modern ones, and weighs about the same as a double decker bus - but it's spirit is strong and it works a treat.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    I also need to get a dehumidfier and I was all set on the Ebac 2650 or 2850. But when reading reviews it gets quite confusing as there is such a wide range of opinions on each product. The Ebacs mentioned generally get good reviews but there is a significant number of negative reviews. Similarly with the compressor vs dessicant choice. In addition I don't particularly want to spend more than £200-250 odd.

Journeyman
    I'd vote for the Mitsubishi as well. I've got that exact model, and it's quiet and powerful. I can happily leave it on automatic in the bedroom and get a nights sleep without being disturbed by it switching on and off. The laundry setting is also fantastic for air drying, clothes only take a few hours to dry instead of a day or so.

Thanks for all the responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I also need to get a dehumidfier and I was all set on the Ebac 2650 or 2850. But when reading reviews it gets quite confusing as there is such a wide range of opinions on each product. The Ebacs mentioned generally get good reviews but there is a significant number of negative reviews. Similarly with the compressor vs dessicant choice. In addition I don't particularly want to spend more than £200-250 odd.
    These are the exact reasons I started the thread. I was leaning towards dessicant though the Mitsubishi does seem to have great feedback. Its also quite a bit more than the others...

We have an old compressor model that seemed to come with the house. Drains directly into the sink in the basement and not expensive to run. May look to update at some point so interested in topic.

What room/use are you going to be using yours for and how big is your condensation problem?

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    What room/use are you going to be using yours for and how big is your condensation problem?
    Primarily the master bedroom (where a slight damp/musty smell can be present), though probably move around the property if needed from time to time given we live in a damp area... close to the Thames.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesm View Post
    dessicant not much use

compressor type work great on auto I got one in Aldi recently Silvercrest make built in timer and auto humidty function
    You haven't read the thread then?

Primarily the master bedroom (where a slight damp/musty smell can be present), though probably move around the property if needed from time to time given we live in a damp area... close to the Thames.
    Does your property actually suffer from damp or just a damp smell?

Does your property actually suffer from damp or just a damp smell?
    It doesn't suffer from damp - it was refurbished just 7 years ago which included work to all walls and flooring to a very good standard. However, the property IS practically on a floodplain /watertable and hence the environment and earth beneath is.... somewhat high in moisture levels.

As for the damp smell, its only prevelant in one room even though there is no damp (walls or floor) to our knowledge. We assume a dehumidifier will be useful for this room initially, and then for general use given where the property is located.

Any advice given the above?

Master
    Replaced a noisy 15 year old dehumidifier with a Meaco 20L and couldn't be happier, quiet and powerful.

http://www.meaco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Meaco20L

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Replaced a noisy 15 year old dehumidifier with a Meaco 20L and couldn't be happier, quiet and powerful.

http://www.meaco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Meaco20L
    Now that looks promising and it is the sort of money I'd be happy to spend (the house isn't damp as such, but it is a fairly small terraced house with a lot of indoor clothes drying going on). How long have you had the Meaco for? Noise-wise, is it fridge-level noise or like a fan heater?

Si,

if you don't actually have damp but just the smell of the river- and you live next to a river a dehumidifier may not solve your problem

Can you hire a DH before commiting to buy? To see what effect it would actually have. I don't think you'll ever get rid of the smell of the river-
    no dehumidifier is going to be able to fight the Thames!

if you're still commited to a dehumidifier you could look at a combined AC unit which would give you the benefit of cool air in the summer without opening the windows and letting more of the healthy London air in.

Good luck

Si,

if you don't actually have damp but just the smell of the river- and you live next to a river a dehumidifier may not solve your problem
    It's not really just the smell of the river - its just a musty smell that we're attributing to moisture in one room only (incidentally further away from river). All other rooms are just fine. The river can't be 'smelt' in or outside of the house.

Will check out combined AC units too.

Master
    I would suggest a combined AC unit too, ours was an absolute godsend last summer during the heat wave.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I would suggest a combined AC unit too, ours was an absolute godsend last summer during the heat wave.
    Which one did you go for?

Master
    We have an Amcor MF 14000. The new model now includes a heating function so good for year round use.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Now that looks promising and it is the sort of money I'd be happy to spend (the house isn't damp as such, but it is a fairly small terraced house with a lot of indoor clothes drying going on). How long have you had the Meaco for? Noise-wise, is it fridge-level noise or like a fan heater?
    Had it for a couple of months, noise wise it's closer to fan heater level, compared to the one it replaced it's virtually silent, ours is kept in the conservatory (which is attached to the kitchen) and is full after a couple of days. I thoroughly recommend it.

I have the desiccant type ... because I need a dehumidifier to work at low temperatures in garage etc.

I have 2 x Ruby Dry which I've had for a couple of years...but the problem with these is that they cannot be put on a timer (i.e. for Economy 7 night time rate), however, they work well.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Meaco Junior 8 which at £137, is £100 cheaper that the Ruby Dry but just as good (volume of water produced). Plus it has the added advantage that it "remember" its last setting in case of power disruption (i.e. timer), so I can now leave running between hours of 23:30 and 06:30 etc. Very please with this Meaco!

Both the Ruby Dry and Meaco support a drain hose, so you're not restricted to the volume of their water container.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    We have this one

Big vote for Mitsubishi, had 3 dehumid 2x Ebac both failed after 6 yrs. mits still going twice that time. Dont plumb it out as its busiest in Summer (appx 5 lits day) whilst in winter it rarely comes on for weeks to weeks, just sits there on auto.
    Buy auto for best economy
    Last edited by higham5; 25th January 2014 at 19:01.

Apprentice

Dehumidifies recommendation

Among the several dehumidifiers I’ve used over a span of 15 years, Arctic Aire ADR50B1G 50 Pint Dehumidifier was the quietest one. I understand noise is a big issue for those who’ve children and old members in the family. This is also perfect for the beginners and is Energy Star certified®. It’ll require the minimum amount of energy possible, so you’ve nothing to worry about when it comes to electricity bills.

Quote Originally Posted by dlubo View Post
    Among the several dehumidifiers I’ve used over a span of 15 years, Arctic Aire ADR50B1G 50 Pint Dehumidifier was the quietest one. I understand noise is a big issue for those who’ve children and old members in the family. This is also perfect for the beginners and is Energy Star certified. It’ll require the minimum amount of energy possible, so you’ve nothing to worry about when it comes to electricity bills.
    What other ones have you tried?

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I have a 15 year old de longhi thing that just will not die. It's much larger than modern ones, and weighs about the same as a double decker bus - but it's spirit is strong and it works a treat.
    We have something similar, a real beast Micromark Dehumid 250 reservoir holds 5L from memory, bought it in 1994, these early models had no filters fitted all the internals used to foul up with dust / crap this would prevent it working properly, I had to strip it down every couple of years and clean up all the internal works, then had a idea to make a filter out of a pair of the wifes tights, that was nearly 20yrs ago, damn thing just keeps on working cost around £250 back then.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/air-purifi...250/1275394697
    Last edited by geran; 21st January 2018 at 10:19.

I have an Ebac one in the utility room we use every night to dry clothes and it’s still going strong 5/6 year on.

Came with a 5 year warranty so have been expecting it to break down anytime now haha

Master
    OP: before you splash out on a dehumidifier investigate Positive Input Ventilation. Essentially it's a small fan, usually in the loft, that pulls fresh air into the house & helps expel the moist air. These links should take you to some posts which discuss it. Most of those who have it seems to say it works well to reduce condensation & mould.

https://www.pistonheads.com/search?S...ve+ventilation

https://www.diynot.com/diy/search/17...IV&o=relevance

Master
    I've just bought a meaco one as here
    https://www.meacodehumidifiers.co.uk...iABEgJAafD_BwE
    It's pretty good and quite quite - bin on eBay with a 20% off £120
    I've also got an old 20l Get that I bought off gumtree some years ago- the buttons failed but a kind member here resoldered some new ones for me- it really draws some serious moisture out- had it in the spare room 'drying' the washing-Mrs Lewie was against it until she saw how easily it dried
    This sort of thing-
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-hous...ale/1092498618