closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Happy things happened Thread

Blog Entries
    Just booked with some mates (one of whom is a big Wednesday fan and ex Sheffield inhabitant) to go on a real ale trail around Sheffield in February... Should be amusing!!!

Bring on the brown stuff!!!

Craftsman

Cool

My youngest daughter called me last evening to ask if I would be home that evening. She works in NYC so I thought she was calling to tell me what train she was taking home so I could pick her up at station. She stumbled when I asked what time, informed me she just wanted to know if I was around, giggled, told me she would text me later with train she was taking home.

Soon thereafter a nice young adult fellow stopped by our home this evening unannounced.

He's a real good kid and has been living with our oldest daughter the past few years.

He quickly became part of the family; and, last night he sealed the deal as he asked me if he could have "my blessing" to marry my daughter.

I am so happy that young people still think this is an appropriate step to take prior to asking a father's daughter for her hand in marriage!

My wife is still doing the happy dance, I arranged to have a nice floral bouquet with big box of chocolates sent to her work today, with a note, "It Happened! Rejoice and Share With Your Work Pals!!"

Just to say what a great thread this is.

Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
    My youngest daughter called me last evening to ask if I would be home that evening. She works in NYC so I thought she was calling to tell me what train she was taking home so I could pick her up at station. She stumbled when I asked what time, informed me she just wanted to know if I was around, giggled, told me she would text me later with train she was taking home.

Soon thereafter a nice young adult fellow stopped by our home this evening unannounced.

He's a real good kid and has been living with our oldest daughter the past few years.

He quickly became part of the family; and, last night he sealed the deal as he asked me if he could have "my blessing" to marry my daughter.

I am so happy that young people still think this is an appropriate step to take prior to asking a father's daughter for her hand in marriage!

My wife is still doing the happy dance, I arranged to have a nice floral bouquet with big box of chocolates sent to her work today, with a note, "It Happened! Rejoice and Share With Your Work Pals!!"
    That's lovely ! And you'll be relieved to hear that in 2009 I asked a similar question to my now father in law... He really appreciated it

Very happily married in 2010! (And in 2014 come to think of it!)

Completed on our first home today which in a moment shared with my beautiful girlfriend over a bottle of bubbly made sense of years (and years), of sacrifice and saving. Couldn't be happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Just booked with some mates (one of whom is a big Wednesday fan and ex Sheffield inhabitant) to go on a real ale trail around Sheffield in February... Should be amusing!!!

Bring on the brown stuff!!!
    Good choice!

(and good choice of mate too!).

Make sure you do Kelham

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eduk View Post
    Completed on our first home today which in a moment shared with my beautiful girlfriend over a bottle of bubbly made sense of years (and years), of sacrifice and saving. Couldn't be happier!
    Congratulations!

Banned
    Anything good happen today?

mines boring, but does make me happy as I had another very good physio therapy session today [pain away, movement increased].

my doctor also called me for a review today and was particularly nice to me, she's a bit of a hippy and makes me smile.

I also got a very decent/comfortable/adjustable office chair from IKEA. the other one I had kept suddenly sinking, which was both annoying and comical at times.

http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/spr/79894445/

sometimes its just the small things to raise a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    Anything good happen today?

mines boring, but does make me happy as I had another very good physio therapy session today [pain away, movement increased].

my doctor also called me for a review today and was particularly nice to me, she's a bit of a hippy and makes me smile.

I also got a very decent/comfortable/adjustable office chair from IKEA. the other one I had kept suddenly sinking, which was both annoying and comical at times.

http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/spr/79894445/

sometimes its just the small things to raise a smile.
    It is often the small things that do it - like reading this thread every day. Thanks for starting it, it's a belter.

Master
    We've had a little hedgehog visit for a few weeks now, always eating the cat's food. Went to the garden centre for some advice on Saturday and built a little house with the girls. Got some hedgehog books from the library. Hedgehog is the topic of every conversation in our house at the moment. The little one has asked if she can have a hedgehog cake for her birthday in Feb.

Wonderful to see how excited they get over this.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    We've had a little hedgehog visit for a few weeks now, always eating the cat's food. Went to the garden centre for some advice on Saturday and built a little house with the girls. Got some hedgehog books from the library. Hedgehog is the topic of every conversation in our house at the moment. The little one has asked if she can have a hedgehog cake for her birthday in Feb.

Wonderful to see how excited they get over this.
    Brilliant. We have a red squirrel visiting. Same amount of absorption and excitement; the difference is that we're in our fourties.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

The best things that I can say about today: I'm going home after I finish work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Brilliant. We have a red squirrel visiting. Same amount of absorption and excitement; the difference is that we're in our fourties.

Wow, that's fantastic. Is that Berlin - are they common there?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wow, that's fantastic. Is that Berlin - are they common there?
    Yes, it's Berlin. Apparently we don't have grey ones here though some of the reds have a coat that can make them look a little grey. Although all of the streets in our locale are tree lined I can't say that I've noticed many but a good few of the cemeteries and city parks are loaded with them. This one chose our balcony as an ideal location to bury some nuts to come back for over the winter. Although we only see him (it might be a her; detailed examination is a little difficult) every 2-3 days he's obviously spotted he's onto a good thing as we now leave food out for him in a little squirrel box. By the end of the winter you might be looking at the Fatty Arbuckle of the squirrel kingdom.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Good choice!

(and good choice of mate too!).

Make sure you do Kelham

- - - Updated - - -

After watching leicester beat Ipswich 3-0 and I hopped on a train to Sheffield for a weekend out with my mates...

And a top tip from Senwar... Kelham island is great! Fat cat, Kelham island tavern and then the Shakespeare last night. Followed by the Devonshire cat, the Hop and the Tap room (train station) today

Feel a little worse for wear today but had a great weekend !!!

Me on the right!

Plus deception (Abbeydale) has to be one of the nicest pints I've ever sunk!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Today was my son's first birthday and I had the day off work. We went to the kiddies soft play centre, it was fantastic, the world was a very simple place for a couple of hours

This is what its all about. Our son is 22 now and at university. Your boy looks a real chap. Enjoy every minute, my advice to you is take more time off work and savour every minute.

Blog Entries
    Lovely! I used to have lots of hedgehogs visiting here (north west London) but the very cold winter of 2009 (I think?) killed them off and they have never re-appeared.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Lovely! I used to have lots of hedgehogs visiting here (north west London) but the very cold winter of 2009 (I think?) killed them off and they have never re-appeared.
    The girls spotted some ticks on him last week, so he's been at the vet for over a week now. We will be picking him up after school today, as I've been told about a million times in the last 24 hours.

Blog Entries
    The girls spotted some ticks on him last week, so he's been at the vet for over a week now.
    He'll be telling all his friends about being abducted and 'examined' by strange creatures... No one will believe him.

We will be picking him up after school today, as I've been told about a million times in the last 24 hours.
    :-)

I'm off to see Aston Villa play today!

No, wait, wrong thread.
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    sometimes its the little things, I just had a short walk and the sun is out, it feels like spring.
    feeling the sun on your face at this time of year always feels good.

We just all got over a bad cold/ flu

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I woke up this morning and realised that being 40 is no different from being 39 :)

Grand Master
    No mortgage,plenty in the bank,loads of Grandkids to put smiles on their faces,what else do you need.

Just had a great time at Billy Bobs ice cream parlour.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 1st March 2014 at 19:47.

Stripped out a Seiko 7546-6040 crystal without breaking any of the obsolete parts. Happy for now anyway........might all turn to tears when I fit the new crystal!

Booked a trip to Petra which is somewhere I've wanted to go for years so looking forward to that and getting my photography geek on when I get there

Walked out of the flat this morning to find these waiting patiently at the lights. Hope that mummy found some water for them.

Blog Entries
    ^^^^^

Nice! Looks as if the little chaps got a little lost?!!!

^^^^^

Sweet

Rescued a newborn lamb today

I was out on my bike around the Derbyshire lanes when I came across a newborn lamb in a sorry state by the side of the road.
    I stopped and found that the wee thing must have slipped under the fence to a field about six feet above the roadway - mother was not a happy sheep.
    Anyway gloves off and lamb manhandled back up the slope and into the field. The poor thing can't have been long born as he was still pretty slimy - hmmm amniotic fluid - nice.
    He was reunited with mum and after a few minutes he was wobbling about on his feet and getting a wash.
    Most useful thing I've done for ages - or that's what it felt lilke - a proper boy scout moment

Blog Entries
    ^^^^^

Somebody buy that man a pint

I once reversed over a rabbit that had been hit by another driver... It was clearly on its way out and I put it out if it's misery... Not really the same though?!!!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sweet memories indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Booked a trip to Petra which is somewhere I've wanted to go for years so looking forward to that and getting my photography geek on when I get there
    I have not spoken to her in yéars. Looking forward to seeing how she looks like nowadays. I can not imagine her being the least bit dull so for you!

Blog Entries

To Fly. To Serve.

Finished our meeting in Berlin ahead of shcedule earlier today, so arrived at Tegel airport with a few hours to burn.

Tegel is unusual in that the security & gates are directly behind the check-in desks - so I enquired about what there was to do beyond that point before entering.

The nice BA lady simply offered to put me on the next flight if I waited 8 minutes for availability, which I did, & there was a seat - so she switched my flights (no charge) & I arrived at Heathrow early enough to miss the London traffic, get to my hotel, now I just need to get changed and go to the pub to watch the Champions League game.

Top stuff from BA - well done !

z
    (not often that I have positive comments on airport experiences - but credit where credit is due)

Master
    Have been to the local bluebell hotspot twice this week to enjoy them in all their glory. Nothing quite like nature to put my mind at ease and help me switch off a little bit.

Journeyman
    It's Friday afternoon and it's a bank holiday weekend. Always good in my book.

Blog Entries
    Just finished training for the first Bushby and Thurnby seniors cricket game on Sunday (aka a couple of pints)

Pulled together for the playlist for my nieces 18th tomorrow (dj Wolfie in da house) and she's really happy with my music options!

3 day weekends such become more common place in my opinion...

All is good In the hood!

Handed in my notice, new job in Sept and managed to get tickets to go to the FA Cup Final with my best mate, happy days!

Master
    Put on a jacket earlier I've not worn in months and found a ten quid footie bet from the start of the season I'd just about forgotten and presumed lost - Palace to finish within 50 points of the premiership winners, 16/1
    Ching!

Plus the 710 had a tenner on Liverpool to finish within 18 points of top spot (I think they'll do a bit better than that!) at the same odds, so between us we've won enough for a nice family weekend away somewhere with which we wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise.

Result, going to bed happy tonight.

Banned
    Received a phone call yesterday out of the blue to say I am £7K up on a deal.

Master
    I got up with my 19 month daughter at 6.10 today, we played and had breakfast together til 8 whilst the rest slept. Suitably fuelled, I'm just deciding whether to enjoy this glorious morning on the mountain or the road bike...

Squirrel update

I've been cursing the hotel bar since the beginning of the week for having no beer. I swallowed my pride last night and had a couple of rums after work - it turns out that their version of happy hour they proudly announced at check-in means that instead of half price, the drinks are actually free. And to add to the general air of contentment I saw a man with many trays of beer on a sack trolley make a fresh delivery to the hotel this morning.

Master
    Went for a job interview was offered the job on the spot. Went back to work the next day to hand in notice and seized an opportunity to walk away with a tidy pay out before I handed my notice in. Had my cake and gorged on it. Had 6 weeks off work with my 3 year old, spent loads of time with her on the back of my bike in her bike seat enjoying life, start the new job Monday. Showed massive restraint in not buying DSSD & thinking of saving money for just i case moments which was weird!

Balance to this though is that at my new company you drive a Ford Focus for three months whilst in your trial period before choosing a company car but hey a car is a car!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian99 View Post
    Went for a job interview was offered the job on the spot. Went back to work the next day to hand in notice and seized an opportunity to walk away with a tidy pay out before I handed my notice in. Had my cake and gorged on it. Had 6 weeks off work with my 3 year old, spent loads of time with her on the back of my bike in her bike seat enjoying life, start the new job Monday. Showed massive restraint in not buying DSSD & thinking of saving money for just i case moments which was weird!

Balance to this though is that at my new company you drive a Ford Focus for three months whilst in your trial period before choosing a company car but hey a car is a car!
    Nice one....! Well done :)

Blog Entries
    Have to throw this pic in, in addition to my latest thread!

Whatever happened to Soapy?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Whatever happened to Soapy?
    His leaving would make anyone happy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    His leaving would make anyone happy.
    Is there irony posting that in a happy things to happen thread ;)

Checked my Gas/Elec bill online - found I am over £500 in credit with no bill due until December. They will be sending me £450 back for me to squander as I see fit ;) and reducing my monthly payment. Nice.

Bought a linen shirt but found it was just a little too big. Washed it and unexpectedly it's shrunk just that little bit to make it a good fit.
    And no, it's not me getting bigger; yer arms don't shorten overnight