timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Happy things happened Thread

Banned

The Happy things happened Thread

it cant all be bad news can it?

anything good happened to you?

1,today my friend came around,fixed my computer and upgraded it.
    I have a quadcore, a hdmi out, and generally the latest bits on his suggestion.
    I cant pretend to understand what it all is/does but it works well with no installation problems.

2,then I had some emails one invited me to a gig on Friday and another to meet Bill Bailey at a fundraiser in February.

3,tomorrow morning I have physiotherapy with a rather nice physio who last week did wonders reducing my pain and increased my movement.

so not a bad day, I even had to draw the curtains the sun was so bright.

so anything positive going on with you?

Overall my life is very positive, I don't have much to complain about at all. Two days ago was my birthday and my wife baked me a cake, bought me a Boker torch and tactical titanium pen (one of those waterproof things which can also write at any angle and has a glass breaker on it...), and an awesome figurine of Hypno Toad (from Futurama), and today I we went and I got a Belstaff motorcycle jacket I've been wanting. Not a bad few days at all.

Its my birthday on Friday but unfortunately the wife and I are both working over the weekend.The happy thing is that we are returning here with friends on the 14th February.

http://www.champernhayes.com/self-ca...-farmhouse.htm

Something to look forward to now that the excitement of Christmas with friends and family has passed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Overall my life is very positive, I don't have much to complain about at all. Two days ago was my birthday and my wife baked me a cake, bought me a Boker torch and tactical titanium pen (one of those waterproof things which can also write at any angle and has a glass breaker on it...), and an awesome figurine of Hypno Toad (from Futurama), and today I we went and I got a Belstaff motorcycle jacket I've been wanting. Not a bad few days at all.
    I like your wife and I haven't even met her.

Today was another day that my wife and kids are healthy. I don't need anything more than that from a day.

Good thread Soapy, nice to read some sunshiney posts.

Cheers

Very positive parents' evening for my boy - all good, and he is doing exceptionally well, so far, all good.
    It's just a matter of time...

If I've had a few drinks I have the tendency to put my glasses in strange places when I go to bed. Couldn't find them the next day - you need glasses to find your glasses catch 22

Until I trod on them blast !!

They're rimless ones and don't look substantial , the bridge and arms were pointing in all directions.

However I haven't a spare pair so went to my opticians and to see if they could have a go at straightening them as best as they could- just enough to get me through till I got a new pair.

Wasn't expecting much, even a complete break but very surprisingly, they look almost perfect and fit better than they've for years
    Last edited by oldandgrumpy; 13th January 2014 at 23:03.

Hit 47 out of 50 clays at the weekend, one more than the Mrs!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Today was my son's first birthday and I had the day off work. We went to the kiddies soft play centre, it was fantastic, the world was a very simple place for a couple of hours

Craftsman
    The look on someone's face when they rub yeast into flour for the first time.
    The smile when they taste the loaf they've just baked.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Today was another day that my wife and kids are healthy. I don't need anything more than that from a day.

Good thread Soapy, nice to read some sunshiney posts.

Cheers
    that's what I call positive, I am quite often jealous of those happily married with kids who seem so contented.
    in the end success is being happy nothing else matters.

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    that's what I call positive, I am quite often jealous of those happily married with kids who seem so contented.
    in the end success is being happy nothing else matters.
    And I'm often jealous of those who are more financially successful so we are all a little guilty of not always seeing what we have got. But yes, if my house and job vanished tomorrow I'd be happy and content that my Army of Four was healthy and well. The four of us could take on the world, no problem.

Master
    Happily today I bought a new car, one I wanted for ages and I am well chuffed with it

This is a real daft one - but we bought a cheapo calendar yesterday for the kitchen (I usually have one made) called 'Highway Hounds'. Each month is just a dog with its head stuck out of a car window while the car is moving.

Every time I've gone into the kitchen today, just seeing the dog on January has genuinely made me smile - knowing when the picture was taken, the dog was really happy.

As I say, daft, but just one of those little things that makes you smile

Banned
    I get it, mine is similar all fluffy dog photos from my local charity shop in daft poses, I bought it because its not the sort of thing I would buy normally.
    I balance it out by listing all the bike meets and festivals on it.

Master
    It's been a good couple of days...
    Went to see the truly awesome stage show that is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra on Saturday, Sunday was a run out to the coast in winter sunshine, just back from seeing Gravity tonight (it was the one film where I felt 3D truly worked and at 90mins was the right length)... and tomorrow is a Wine Society Tasting... shame to go to work on Weds...

I spent about £40 in postage yesterday! I sent off an IWC catalogue for someone, and the postage was twice what I charged, but I don't care. I posted a MB pen set to Germany, and that was about £12. But the rest was personal. I posted six big envelopes of paintings and pictures that my two kids had done, sent off to grandparents, aunts, uncles. I sent some postcards to friends, and 'thank yous' for Christmas. I sent a couple of personal letters, all hand written, nice envelopes, etc., to friends. And I thought about how lots of people would be pleased to get their post that day! Something that isn't a bill, or a circular, or an invitation to change cable provider.

Then I took a step back and realised that I'm also happy that I can spend £40 on postage without worrying too much. So I was doubly happy.

Banned
    I had a great physio session this morning which left me feeling very positive.

the sun was out so i made a detour to the car wash the last 2 times I went though it broke down with me in the middle which i thought was funny, not this time.

then drove home with a nice shiny car and the sun roof open, no music just enjoying the sun on my face.

just as i arrived home the UPS man turned up with a parcel i have been waiting for, even he was smiling.

Winter is finally here!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Winter is finally here!!
    where is here?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Today was my son's first birthday and I had the day off work. We went to the kiddies soft play centre, it was fantastic, the world was a very simple place for a couple of hours

Really really good this because I'm so looking fwd to my sons first Birthday in April!

Off to a bad start when a speed camera caught me in Bury early morning (so that will be IRO of £80 I expect plus some points) however remaining on a motoring theme I managed to repair my offside rear light cluster with the aid of the soldering iron my wife bought me for Christmas so these cancel each other out I guess

Secured work bookings for all of February (self employed) so thats a real positive and another month I dont have to worry about

Master
    Had quadruple wisdom tooth extraction yesterday, and touch wood the swelling and bruising is much less that I expected and no loss of taste or feeling in the face.
    On the down side I seem to be napping every three or four hours at the moment...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Very positive parents' evening for my boy - all good, and he is doing exceptionally well, so far, all good.
    Congrats.
    Mine has an illegible handwriting he cannot be bothered about, but which gets him docked a full mark at everything but sports/music/crafts at school. He has taken a liking to calligraphy!! We are dumbstruck...

Today we basically finished with clearing the obstruction in the river. So that makes several positives:
    The end of two negatives (the dam and the work), an extra stockpile of firewood, an impressed gf and as a bonus quite a few calories spent by both me and the gf.

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    where is here?
    Sweden (.se location), not that far from Stockholm.
    Finally a few days with the quicksilver is below zero and there is a bit of snow.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I spent about £40 in postage yesterday! I sent off an IWC catalogue for someone, and the postage was twice what I charged, but I don't care. I posted a MB pen set to Germany, and that was about £12. But the rest was personal. I posted six big envelopes of paintings and pictures that my two kids had done, sent off to grandparents, aunts, uncles. I sent some postcards to friends, and 'thank yous' for Christmas. I sent a couple of personal letters, all hand written, nice envelopes, etc., to friends. And I thought about how lots of people would be pleased to get their post that day! Something that isn't a bill, or a circular, or an invitation to change cable provider.

Then I took a step back and realised that I'm also happy that I can spend £40 on postage without worrying too much. So I was doubly happy.
    I really enjoyed your post. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Talking

1 -Played football and wasn't entirely sh#t

2 - It also looks (today) that I may have brought a small house as a buy to let with some of my redundancy pay out

In general - Life's alright at the moment... When I compare it to this time last year...
    ...I had just elected for redundancy which was a scary decision to make, however, I was working in west London and live in Leicestershire and with 3 small kids it wasn't great to be away so much (they only grow up once)... I've now got a job 12 mins commute away (a complete fluke!!!) and earn 20% more than I did before... Life is often defined by making brave decisions (glad I plucked up the courage!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    1 -Played football and wasn't entirely sh#t

2 - It also looks (today) that I may have brought a small house as a buy to let with some of my redundancy pay out

In general - Life's alright at the moment... When I compare it to this time last year...
    ...I had just elected for redundancy which was a scary decision to make, however, I was working in west London and live in Leicestershire and with 3 small kids it wasn't great to be away so much (they only grow up once)... I've now got a job 12 mins commute away (a complete fluke!!!) and earn 20% more than I did before... Life is often defined by making brave decisions (glad I plucked up the courage!!!)
    Good stuff. Same happened to me when I took voluntary redundancy in 2010. Frightening at the time and ended up being the best (and luckiest) decision I ever made

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Good stuff. Same happened to me when I took voluntary redundancy in 2010. Frightening at the time and ended up being the best (and luckiest) decision I ever made
    Good for you... Voluntary or otherwise it's amazing how it can regularly work out so well for people!

Mine is only really good news for me but i got my annual report today, turns out all the time i have spent away was very deliberately done and accidentally doing a good job means i have been rated by my boss as his very best bloke in my rank.

This gets me an early look for promotion this year and the grade i got means its almost a sure thing. If it doesnt get me promoted though (these things arent always an exact science) it is good to have been rewarded for my efforts.

Today ended well.

I finished scoring all of the difficult exams before leaving work, a handset arrived almost a week sooner than expected, and I installed those hands, completing a project I wanted to do for a long time.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes... Well, it didn't eat me today!

Craftsman
    Will only happen once, I hope, but my daughter rang from her skiing holiday to say her bf had proposed on the slopes. Delighted parents all round and made my day, for sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plw View Post
    Will only happen once, I hope, but my daughter rang from her skiing holiday to say her bf had proposed on the slopes. Delighted parents all round and made my day, for sure.
    Many congratulations! Start saving up my friend :)

Craftsman
    So true...

Quote Originally Posted by plw View Post
    Wonderful! Congratulations!

My son will be six in three weeks and he is turning into a genuinely funny person. Several times over the last week we have gotten one another laughing uncontrollably. My Dad and I used to do that at the dinner table and it's one of my fondest memories.

Also, my son loves pandas, and this weekend we're driving to Washington, DC to see the baby panda at the National Zoo.

I fell for a messroom prank....took an offered profiterole, which had the cream removed and Horseradish cream inserted, everyone else was laughing so much, I had to.
    nearly as good as the reconstructed ferrero rochers last christmas (raw sprouts covered in chocolate and nuts and replaced in the wrappers)

Craftsman
    It was my birthday yesterday. I had a normal day at work (January is a busy period) but my girlfriend made us raclette last night and produced a cake. Simple but very enjoyable birthday celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward77 View Post
    It was my birthday yesterday. I had a normal day at work (January is a busy period) but my girlfriend made us raclette last night and produced a cake. Simple but very enjoyable birthday celebration.
    Happy Birthday ....Raclette ...mmm very nice indeed

I'm really enjoying this thread. Thanks to all that are contributing, it's a good thing that's happened in my day.
    Last edited by Kris; 15th January 2014 at 10:23.

Went to Center Parcs at the weekend with friends and family and had a great time. I was especially proud to see my daughter enjoying her first Ballet lesson.

It's my birthday............Krispy Kremes all round in the office and a meal with the family tonight........... excellent. Maybe a spot or two of "The Macallan"

Banned
    I have had non stop parcels delivered, amazing how many couriers there are nowadays.

from the mundane, curtain hooks and runners [yes I know]

to the oh that's nice

a shiny new stainless steel Cafeteria [well my first actually].
    and a pair of trainers to help me do my physio, aren't they very bright colours nowadays the green on these Saucony matches my Kawasaki.

the suns out while I try to re-hang my sun reflective curtains, wooden shjips on the stereo and a tasty coffee on the side.
    that will do for now.

A few good things..

Bought my 40th watch and even mentioned the purchase to the wife before I bought it - she agreed (thats a first.. the mentioning that is)

My sons football team which I somehow am Manager of won their Cup game at the weekend and are currently second in their league.

And I received my late christmas present from my brother.. it put an immense smile on my face..

Star wars ice cube trays.. I now can can have the Death Star, frozen han solo and the millenium falcon in my drinks.....

Master
    Just confirmed a weekend trip with some great friends to go mountain biking. Fresh air, great scenery, bikes, cake and beer. Very happy

Call from the bike shop to say my new bike is ready to collect. Doubly happy

Master
    Early this afternoon I enjoyed a well postponed evacuation of the lower tract. Quite made my day.

Rob

Fixed my Macbook today! So that makes it a great day for me already. It can only go up for here!

Master
    I had a tooth out yesterday

The pains gone today - so I'm happy and now I can continue eating chocolate biscuits

does that count

Craftsman
    Bit boring I know but I've had a very good few days at work. I've been worried about some of the meetings for quite some time so when they went well it felt as if a weight has been lifted. The work happiness has also bled into my personal life- bonus

Banned
    I took a massive pile of old 78s to the local hospital charity shop they where so pleased it made my day.
    I lost the Elvis on RCA I wanted to keep,if they Find it amongst them I said I would go back and buy it.
    Gives you some idea how many there where 😃

It looks like work is going to pay for sessions with a mentoring coach in lieu of a training course. I had already anticipated that I'd have to pay for this myself so it looks like that's a couple of K saved. Must stay away from SC, must stay away from SC...

A much smaller thing; I had my domain admin account re-instated today which means I can have a play with some new forensic software.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.