closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you only be a true watch enthusiast if you aspire to own a Patek

Quote Originally Posted by MuRph77 View Post
    I don't really like the look of any of them, and most definitely do not want to own one.
    Hear, hear! :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Can you only be a true watch enthusiast if you aspire to own a Patek

I like to own one, probably just because they are superb whether you like the look of them or not. You can't really have an opinion that counts in a real discussion unless you have "real" experience of something.

Not sure if I'd like to keep it.

Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Off topic, but what did you have? We had a lovely 1972 Spider veloce, race tuned, brakes and suspension all done, full leather, spent a fortune! It was fautlessly reliable and we toured Europe in it and drive 4 full laps of the Le Mans 24 circuit on the moring of the Classic race! I miss that car, replaced with a Morgan Plus 8.
    It was a 164 Twin Spark from the early 90’s. I appreciate this is not a quintessential Alfa but it did have the distinctive whine, handled really well (for a 4-door saloon) and was a great drive once you learnt to accept and adapt to the pronounced torque steer.

But the cost of running it... I became a regular at the dealership due to numerous electrical problems, ranging from faulty switches (the switchgear was a fantastic display though), HVAC system(s) through to the electric suspension (£££). Throughout my ownership, I don’t recall ever having a completely free warning light display, sometimes I could have up to 5 alerts at once and there was a lot to choose from:

Door handles would regularly jam, the hand-brake lever once came off in my hand, there would be an intermittent but strong smell of petrol, it ate front tyres and the sun-roof was never cured of a leak when parked. Parts were very expensive and all too often unavailable: “It’s held up in Italy” was a common refrain from the dealer.

I eventually gave up my affair with Alfa and changed over to a Saab 9000 (which ironically shared the same platform as the 164) and all the problems disappeared: in fact the 9000 became the most reliable car I think I’ve ever had (outside of Japanese) - but it wasn’t anywhere as nice a drive as the 164.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    It was a 164 Twin Spark from the early 90’s.
    Sounds like that was the low point for Alfa then :(

I also had a 2002 GT 3.2 V6 which was far too overpowered for a front wheel drive car. Sounded great, long legged and had character, was very reliable over the few months I owned it. I'm sure big bills were lurking though and I chickened out!

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    You can't really have an opinion that counts in a real discussion unless you have "real" experience of something.
    I do see your point.

There was thread not long ago entitled 'Fugly Watch' and the sole occupant was a Nautilus 5980 chronograph. I was never a fan really, neither here nor there, until I handled and wore one; now it's my 'grail'. The quality of the engineering, the level of finishing, the way it made you feel to be wearing such a thing, the ridiculousness of the price and the uniqueness of the design made it so very special. Many of the haters on the thread had never even seen or handled one.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Yes they do.
    I wasn't referring to the nautilus chrono.
    PP do 43mm watches - visit their site.
    Admittedly they actually NEED to be 43mm to fit in all the complications - rather than being an average sized movement surrounded by spacers in an unnecessarily large case to sell to men who feel emasculated by a watch that makes the majority of men feel perfectly comfortable.

"Girly" is a silly way to describe something one is too lumpen to wear...
    Yep, my mistake, cross read the thread and go t the size & Nautilus conversations mixed into one.

But a Patek owner doesn't have to be a watch enthusiast.

My father owns one, simply because he wanted one good watch (weird I know), he can afford any watch he chooses but likes the Polish/French brand, so that's what he got.
    Many on here, including me would wince at its treatment, washing the car, tinkering with the car, DIY to full on construction work on his property, gardening etc. etc. Sometimes he even get to relax wearing it! :)

I on the other hand I am a watch nut and would like one, but own several Rolex, even if I cashed them all in, and went the one watch route I'd still be massively short of funds.

Also to be an enthusiast in any interest you don't actually have to 'own' an object of that enthusiasm at all, radical isn't it?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Isn't it true that actually a watch "enthusiast" should be above their preference aesthetically, but should be able to appreciate a great piece on a higher level whether they would choose to wear/ own it or not?

Master
    I do see your point.

There was thread not long ago entitled 'Fugly Watch' and the sole occupant was a Nautilus 5980 chronograph. I was never a fan really, neither here nor there, until I handled and wore one; now it's my 'grail'. The quality of the engineering, the level of finishing, the way it made you feel to be wearing such a thing, the ridiculousness of the price and the uniqueness of the design made it so very special. Many of the haters on the thread had never even seen or handled one.
    Just don't go near a Datograph then... same thing happened to me and now I'm hooked on it... and we both better stay the heck away from a 5070p, just ridiculously priced!

Master
    I don't really like most recent Patek offerings. Some are attractive, if plain, and others look downright cheap and nasty, with unbalanced, ugly dials. Before you moan I know full well they aren't cheap and nasty, but their clumsy aesthetics let them down. This, for example, looks like a Chinese £5 market special:

^^^ agreed.

But on the other hand this is a reasonably clear way of showing pc information. At least I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Just don't go near a Datograph then... same thing happened to me and now I'm hooked on it... and we both better stay the heck away from a 5070p, just ridiculously priced!
    I too headed of down this route for a while but on close inspection found the Datograph a bit too deep to sit well on my wrist under a cuff and to some extent the calendar function which adds a layer to the depth is superfluous on a chronograph. Nicely made watch though with a sublime movement.

A have a bit of a thing for the 5711 (prefer blue but would settle, if I had to, the white ) but there's no prerequisite for a watch enthusiast to aspire to own or be a fan of any one particular brand.

One of my grails is the 3940 annual calendar........still saving, there is one in Lisbon for 22k...dream on

Apprentice
    Well, doesn't everybody need to have owned a PP, VC and AP anytime in their life? :)

Craftsman
    A vintage one went for a touch over £3,400 tonight on everybody's favourite auction site. Its not my thing but you could of had one for almost normal money.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by leben View Post
    Well, doesn't everybody need to have owned a PP, VC and AP anytime in their life? :)
    But you can never really own a Patek, so they say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
    ^^^ agreed.

But on the other hand this is a reasonably clear way of showing pc information. At least I like it!

Now that is lovely. Vintage?

I used to aspire to own a Patek until finding out that nobody actually 'owns' one … so then decided to buy a couple of VCs

And this is the vintage model

And I'm happy with my 'poor man's Patek' duo.

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    Now that is lovely. Vintage?
    Its a 3940R from 2003. Now superseded by the 5140 though both use the same 240Q calibre. Personally I prefer the appearance of the 3940.

I hate Patek. And I own one!

Master
    I too headed of down this route for a while but on close inspection found the Datograph a bit too deep to sit well on my wrist under a cuff and to some extent the calendar function which adds a layer to the depth is superfluous on a chronograph. Nicely made watch though with a sublime movement.
    Yes this is my grail, and I much prefer this over the PP 5070p chrono and it costs half of that. The only PPs I really like are the top and bottom models, the 5711 and the 5970 and 5270 Perpetual chronos, most of the models in between are too small, too cramped or too old fashioned for me, esp compared to the innovative artistry of Lange with their Zeitwerks, Datos and Lange 1s, altho the more modern looking 5205 AC is a big step in the right direction, but for £25K I would rather have a Lange 1 Moonphase.

There was thread not long ago entitled 'Fugly Watch' and the sole occupant was a Nautilus 5980 chronograph. I was never a fan really, neither here nor there, until I handled and wore one; now it's my 'grail'.

That makes two of us.

-Eric-

Master
    Its a 3940R from 2003. Now superseded by the 5140 though both use the same 240Q calibre. Personally I prefer the appearance of the 3940.
    Thanks. It's got a bit of a sixties vibe, so I thought it might be a vintage model.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asimH View Post
    I hate Patek. And I own one!
    *spits tea across desk laughing*

SGR

I don't agree you can only be a true enthusiast if you aspire to own a Patek (or any brand for that matter). And I own a Patek...