closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sinus Problems

Sinus Problems

Plagued by an annoying sinus infection with post nasal drip this Xmas. Don't really want to go to the doctors for antibiotics if I can help it. Anyone know of any natural remedies that can help clear this up?
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    I suffer from sinus problems pretty much year round, twice now had treatment for a nasal polyp over the past year or so. The one thing that has really surprised me with its effectiveness is the sea water nasal spray stuff you can get in cans from the pharmacy. Does an amazing job of clearing the sinuses. I tend to slightly ignore the instructions and snort it a bit then try and leave it in there for a bit before blowing it all out. Used two to three times a day it seems to work better than drugs at clearing the sinuses but of course it won't stop ones nose from running or getting blocked again if there is a root cause to the problems.
    http://www.sterimarnasal.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Plagued by an annoying sinus infection with post nasal drip this Xmas. Don't really want to go to the doctors for antibiotics if I can help it. Anyone know of any natural remedies that can help clear this up?

Jason,

Drinking apple cider vinegar in water seems to help. You may be allergic to something (milk or ice cream or soya…you need to test by elimination). Drink lots of water anyway, but at room temperature (not cold).

If you line your nose with olive oil it also seems to act as a barrier against external problems.

And finally (disgusting but true), spitting and hawking and blowing out every bit of gunk that is in your nose and throat passages while in the shower in the morning also helps.

Sunnie

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    Jason,

And finally (disgusting but true), spitting and hawking and blowing out every bit of gunk that is in your nose and throat passages while in the shower in the morning also helps.

Sunnie
    One of life's pleasures, for a man.

Rob.
    Last edited by Rob (NZ); 30th December 2013 at 23:31.

Craftsman
    Give this a try. One of the most unpleasant things I have ever subjected myself to, and it is basically a modified washing up liquid bottle, but it has helped me in the past.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NeilMed-Sinu...ed+sinus+rinse

Fisherman's friend original (white), several times a day.
    Makes miracle, at least to me.
    http://www.fishermansfriend.com/

Instead of Sterimar you can apply saline in the same manner.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/labrec...e-Solution.htm

Well bugger me... I've got the same problem.
    It's like a cold that won't go away. It's left me with a snotty nose for the past couple weeks.

It's driving me bonkers.

Master
    Like me you live by the sea and could get the Sterimar effect x100 by swimming in the sea. I can't swim and don't have a wet suit for this cold weather so I have to resort to squirting the stuff up my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by castle View Post
    Give this a try. One of the most unpleasant things I have ever subjected myself to, and it is basically a modified washing up liquid bottle, but it has helped me in the past.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NeilMed-Sinu...ed+sinus+rinse
    Been doing that for a couple years. Works great and also helps with dry nasal passages / nose bleeds in the dry air of winter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    I suffer from sinus problems pretty much year round, twice now had treatment for a nasal polyp over the past year or so. The one thing that has really surprised me with its effectiveness is the sea water nasal spray stuff you can get in cans from the pharmacy. Does an amazing job of clearing the sinuses. I tend to slightly ignore the instructions and snort it a bit then try and leave it in there for a bit before blowing it all out. Used two to three times a day it seems to work better than drugs at clearing the sinuses but of course it won't stop ones nose from running or getting blocked again if there is a root cause to the problems.
    http://www.sterimarnasal.co.uk/
    Interesting this. Round our way years ago there was an old chap who every morning would make his way to our local beach. Once there he would find his favourite rock pool (tide out) collect a handful of sea water from the pool an proceed to sniff it up his nose. He did this 3 or 4 times every morning without fail.

When he died he was in his 90's and had all his marbles.

If you have a sinus problem it needs checking by a GP and would not necessarily require an antibiotic; GPs no longer dish out antibiotics like sweets. Also, sinus blockage/infection could be indicative of dental problems so if you have not had a dental check up recently or are ignoring tooth decay please consider consulting your dentist. And if you smoke that cloud be another cause of sinus problems.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 31st December 2013 at 11:13.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

One word, flixonase - you can get it without prescription but it's cheaper for a larger amount with.

Works wonders for me.

Half fill a bowl with warm water disolve @ a teaspoon of salt in it, cup hands and scoop up water quickly draw water up into nasal passages (use your soft palate like a pump, do not try to inhale it) and blow out water salt and gung into a sink, keep the tap in the sink running hot water to wash the foul muck away. repeat several times. Or just do the same in the shower without the salt malarky, easy peasy. no need to go and buy any apparatus for a nasal flush, just cup your hands and get your snout in it.

Master
    The problem can be difficult to get rid of - could go on for years

Thanks for all the advise guys. Been combining saline snorts, apply cider vinegar and fishermans friend and my symptoms have radically reduced. Fingers crossed wont need to visit my legal drug pusher (doctor) after all.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

I suffered with sinus problems for a couple of months last year, best remedy I found was xclear nasal spray, and steam inhalation, highly recommend the xclear though, 100% natural ingredients so you can use it as often as you like.

I have suffered for years with sinusitis and rhinitis, and used to be unable to work when I had an attack. I used the NeilMed sinus wash, and that eased it for a while but the attacks still happened. The doctor then put me on Avamys nasal spray, and I have only had a couple of minor attacks since (last two years).

https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/avamys.html

Master
    My, it is like an ENT clinic on here this evening!

The answer as mentioned in various posts above is firstly a steroid based nasal spray (Flixonase etc) to decongest/shrink polyps and followed by regular nasal rinse (we used to recommend Neilmed-buy one and then use the bottle when empty with some salt water as it does pretty much the same thing) to get rid of all the gunk.

If it goes on despite all this, probably worth looking for an ENT opinion with nasendoscopy to see if there is anything else lurking/whether you need a polypectomy.

Other thing to mention is that postnasal drip can be related to acid reflux if there are no actual sinus symptoms so worth bearing that in mind particularly if you have other gastric symptoms