closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Disappointed in Mondaine Stop2Go

Master

Disappointed in Mondaine Stop2Go

I've wanted a Mondaine watch for some time. I first got interested in them a couple of years ago and came very close to getting a Retro Automatic with the black face / white batons (rather than the more traditional arrangement) but after the authorised dealer couldn't seem to get one from Mondaine after two months (I'd paid a deposit) I cancelled my order and kept my money.

Retro Automatic:

With the news they'd released a new Stop2Go I was convinced I'd like to get one again, and loved how it looked in the pictures. Walking past the little independent watch shop in my town the other week I was surprised to see they had a Stop2Go in the window and after a bit of deliberation and checking my bank balance today decided I might just pop in and try it on.

In my mind on the way there I was convinced trying it on would be a formality, and provided they might budge off the RRP a little bit (£450) I'd take it there and then. I'm so glad I tried it on first, rather than just mail ordering it. Immediately frustrated that the strap holes didn't seem to afford me the ideal fitment (either too tight or too loose), the strap felt very cheap, the case was a lot taller on the wrist than I was expecting even to the extent it seemed bulkier overall than my Speedmaster Pro despite having 1mm narrower case, but somehow just didn't feel like a nice overall package on the wrist. And as I stood there mulling it over I angled the watch for a closer look at the face and was disappointed to see that the hands were not even flat / level and instead seem to curl upwards slightly off the face. I appreciate it doesn't cost Rolex money, but similarly you can buy a hell of a lot of watch for the same money and this just didn't feel worth the money.

Stop2Go:

I was pretty gutted as I really loved how this watch looked and I find the Stop2Go movement a nice quirk and a bit of fun. But also relieved that I didn't end up spending the money - it just did not live up to expectations at all.

Shame about that. I also was following this new version closely. Thanks for trying it on for us and reporting!

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I was pretty gutted as I really loved how this watch looked and I find the Stop2Go movement a nice quirk and a bit of fun. But also relieved that I didn't end up spending the money - it just did not live up to expectations at all.
    I bought the Stop2Go. Really like it. Replaced the strap with a 4mm natural rubber one with a flip lock, just because it was a bit to long for me. No complaints whatsoever. Cheapest watch this year, highest fun factor.

Sounds like you should a) get your own strap and b) hunt for a piece with the hands fitted properly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Sounds like you should a) get your own strap and b) hunt for a piece with the hands fitted properly.
    That would always be an option I suppose! But as I say, the thickness of the case also put me off somewhat.

That would always be an option I suppose! But as I say, the thickness of the case also put me off somewhat.
    Like the thickness of the case, makes it looks like a "real" watch, rather than your average Mondaine .

It was quite disappointing to read this review, I too loved the look of the new Stop2go from the launch / advertising pictures but as yet am to see one in the flesh.

I've put the purchase of one of these on the back-burner however I was intending to place a pre-order when it was initially advertised but after reading this think I would need to actually have one in my hands before pulling the trigger now

Thanks for the review

Master
    I think you certainly need to go and see it in the metal to see if it's up your street. You might feel very differently about it than I did! :)

Thanks for info.
    Now it seems like just one more 20% watch and 80% marketing.

I like them, but haven't tried them. Thanks for sharing!

Craftsman
    I saw one on Saturday, loved the look in the catalog, looks good in the flesh but I agree the price is steep!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I would lóve one and am waiting for them to appear used.
    Offcourse it is just a gimmick; a niftily marketed quartz watch. Still VERY reasonably priced in the perspective of niftily marketed mass produced mechanical engined ones.

Here another thread http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-caliber-58-02

The thickness is caused by the need for a full sized lithium battery. It is as large as the movement and sits on the back.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 31st December 2013 at 11:22.

google is your friend - first one i found was from a bricks and mortar jewler at 25% off RRP.
    like the gimmick, but i have the savonette (quartz and much cheaper) so wont be splashing out just for that...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Sounds like you should ...... d b) hunt for a piece with the hands fitted properly.
    ´Seem´ is the keyword.

Some additional things.
    1. The Swiss railway station clock was electrical from the start; dropping a mechanical inside thus is not ´retro´ to anything but hopping on the fashion band wagon.
    2. The Stop2Go ís classic as it replicates the classic station clock seconds hand movement.
    3. The 58-2 caliber is not at all that simple, did not come about that easily either and as it is for this application only it carries a lot of development/tooling costs per movement.
    4. It is unique and has real, uninterupted heritage.

like the gimmick, but i have the savonette (quartz and much cheaper) so wont be splashing out just for that...
    I bought the open faced one on SC. Looking forward to it. Will make a great dating tool. The Stop2Go would make an even better one.

There is an older topic featuring the previous version: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ndaine-Stop2Go
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 31st December 2013 at 12:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    ´Seem´ is the keyword.

I bought the open faced one on SC. Looking forward to it. Will make a great dating tool. The Stop2Go would make an even better one.

There is an older topic featuring the previous version: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ndaine-Stop2Go

i'd like to see an open face s2g. not sure id go for a hunter again. does such a thing exist - and if not why not ???

Just buy a Smiths Big Date from Eddie.

Got my mum one (the smaller of the two) and she loves it.

I had a good look at it over Christmas (it's now two years old) and was reminded again what amazing vfm our host offers.

Master
    Am prejudiced, and was embarrassed, by the Mondaine I bought for a woman colleague at her request. It turned out to be a stainless steel lookalike made of plated monkey metal. Not a good watch.

Master
    Agree with rev o get the big date, I have the pair and enjoy them immensely having previously been underwhelmed by a mondaine myself, the mrs even wears the small one..great set