closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart question

Steinhart question

Hi folks, I'm looking to buy my first Steinhart and am seeking some info about the quality and finishing. I'm mostly focussing on a Marine Chronometer. Can any owners give me any insight into how well they are built, how they wear and how good the after sales service is?

Thanks.

I'll happily let you know when I get mine, waiting on a fellow forum member

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Hi folks, I'm looking to buy my first Steinhart and am seeking some info about the quality and finishing. I'm mostly focussing on a Marine Chronometer. Can any owners give me any insight into how well they are built, how they wear and how good the after sales service is?

Thanks.
    Sorry but your questions are just too subjective.

The best answer is that Steinhart represent fantastic value for money. If it's any use I prefer wearing my OVM rather than my Rolex GMT Master.

After sales service, don't know never needed it. However the usual ETA Unitas movements are hardly unknown to any competent watch repairer.

However a search through this forum will give you hundreds of opinions, mostly positive.

Craftsman
    I don't think I have a single bad thing to say about my experiences with Steinhart.

Waiting time on watches out of stock bothers some.

Master
    I had to return one for a repair (my fault, not manufacturer fault) but it took several months.

The build quality at the price is good, but I don't think I'd buy another.

I believe their communications and after sales has improved since, according to other threads I've seen.

Thanks for the replies. May pick a used one up at some point.

I had a 47mm limited gold edition flieger and really liked it.

the quality was very good, lume was ace and it ran very nicely. i think they make particularly nice straps and their watches are well packaged/presented.

Craftsman
    I've got an OVM. The bracelet isn't very good at all and when I had a question I needed answering it took them almost a week to answer. Other than that, I'd say they are very good in general for the money.

Craftsman
    I also have an OVM. Quality is excellent for a £300 watch, and IMHO the bracelet is great too.

Its money lost. Save up for decent watch.

I have never had a bad experience with steinhart- great value - I really want a bronze nav b

Banned
    Wondered how long it would be before even neve would pipe up after that dogsh!t thread about Steinhart.

Another positive experience here mate, they did a little custom work on my new purchase before sending it out to me, and it still arrived quickly. Within-the-hour response to emails

Very well made, can't beat it for £300. Its my daily wearer and after a few knocks it still isnt showing any marks.

I love seeing the movement through the crystal back.

Craftsman

nav B on my list for the money looks great

I have 2 Steinharts, an ocean one GMT and ocean one green and am very impressed with the fit and finish of them

Greg

Master
    For the money you cannot go wrong, owned several of their Rolex clones and a very nice fleiger ltd edition. Quality is superb however I cannot comment on customer service I never had to utilise it.

In the years I have been a member here I have heard very few negatives about them, the only thing that does seem to occurr now and again are periods where warranty repairs may take longer than usual. On a more positive note the threads highlighting 'issues' are few and far between south would appear that quality control is generally very good.

Beyond that, just keep an eye on availability of watches due to Steinhart having some supply issues so far as ETA movements are concerned.

Paul
    Last edited by gingerboy; 28th December 2013 at 02:03.

Master
    I'm on my second GMT diver and it's fantastic value for money and built really well. It has an ETA movement, keeps great time and wears well on my 6.5" wrist. I have owned many top brand watches and although they do have a number of areas that are better engineered, you cannot fault a Steinhart, Timefactors, Raven or any number of the smaller independents for their quality to cost ratio. Try one and if not, you can always flip it and try again, that's half the fun of this hobby

Journeyman
    I had a Triton 100ATM PVD version, and their PVD is not the best thing in the world, also the lume on the bezel started to wear off. But it was a work watch, pounded and pounded.
    Would I consider buying another Steinhart - yes. They offer really a lot in that price range.
    Their ocean one vintage looks nice, it even has a ''inhouse'' movement.

Thanks all for your input. I may add one to the collection next year.

Journeyman
    I own 2 and love them. Pound for pound hard to beat. Ignore snobs like even neve. They are very decent watches and tell the time just like a Rolex does

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had to send one back because it fogged up. Customer service was very good turn round in two weeks and no problems after.

Apprentice
    I had seriously considered the Blue Racetimer Chrono a couple months ago but couldn't stand the notion of waiting until it becomes available. I'm guessing that as soon as they are finished production, they'll be sold out quickly. Fantastic looking watches though.

I like the look of the new premium movements. Looks like they are still awaiting release however. Definitely worth keeping an eye on I reckon!

Master
    For the money you cannot go wrong, owned several of their Rolex clones and a very nice fleiger ltd edition. Quality is superb however I cannot comment on customer service I never had to utilise it.
    Same here, nothing but positives, never needed customer service either. My 3 Steinharts (including bracelets, which are not qute as good as a modern Rolex bracelet (just because of the Glidelock) but far better then the older Rolex bracelets) are excellent.

In terms of £250-£300 you'll spend on a mechanical watch, probably up there as an equal if not better than anything else.

even neve seems to have some axe to grind so best ignored if you're looking for objective opinions from actual owners.
    Last edited by K300; 29th December 2013 at 00:38.

Craftsman
    I've had an OVM for about 2 years now, and have had no problems with the quality. I haven't worn it recently due to a purchase of another watch that's barely left my wrist, but I'm still finding it hard to put it up for sale.

I recently contacted them to ask them what type of screw I needed for the bracelet links, and they sent me out 2 spare screws plus a tool free of charge.

I have an Ocean One GMT which is the most accurate automatic watch I've ever owned.

It gains around 2 seconds per week on the wrist.

The quality is amazingly good.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Their watches are well built and their after sale service is good.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldwarkid View Post
    I've got an OVM. The bracelet isn't very good at all
    Really !........as has already been said the bracelets on these are excellent IMO, solid links, screwed pins, solid end links, and if you need to replace it....only 45 euro's, i'd say this was an excellent bargin. Far better quality thanthe older Rolex bracelets.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dietcokeman View Post
    Really !........as has already been said the bracelets on these are excellent IMO, solid links, screwed pins, solid end links, and if you need to replace it....only 45 euro's, i'd say this was an excellent bargin. Far better quality thanthe older Rolex bracelets.
    I agree completely, the bracelets are very very good for the money.

Much better than my Sinn bracelet IMO and a quarter of the price.

Cut be the watch's quality is ok. My experience with the company has not been so good.
    I think Steinhart is dying of success.

Very happy with mine, great value & wouldn't hesitate in recommending one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dietcokeman View Post
    Maybe I was unlucky.
    At least 3 of the screws just wouldn't stay screwed in for more than a couple of days. In the end a friend brought round some glue used for radio controlled cars which apparently keeps the screws tight without completely seizing it in place. Also the clasp doesn't seem to be amazing quality, although to be fair, it's never actually fallen open.
    As I said, other than this I'm pleased with it for the price.
    Last edited by coldwarkid; 1st January 2014 at 23:35.

Journeyman
    Had a few that have come and gone , very good quality for the money . They did seem to have a problem with (a lack of) communication , but when I bought my ov1 last month that seemed to have been sorted. Certainly well worth what you pay for them .

Never had a problem with any of the three I own, have had to wait a while for all of the ones that I have ordered, build quality is good on all of them and they are well regulated as well.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Iv got 2 of theres and they are great watches for the money