closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New NATO watch?

I thought it would be a Smiths rather than a Precista, the smaller name would be more in keeping with the original on the dial. I would rather the watch remains as it is without a date or any kind of addition. I cant really see the lume being an issue as presumably it would be where the hour points are and on the hands I guess the only issue would be the size of the hour points but the hands would more than make up for it. I don't see the crown being an issue as with it having a nato strap the strap would pretty much fold out of the way and also the case itself appears to be curved to give extra access to the crown.

I would definitely purchase one if the design remained as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Lack of lume would be a problem, I assume it's not a big problem to add more?
    Tritium tubes would look nice on this.

Craftsman

Very nice...

Reminds me of the old French ZRCs (borrowed pic):

Craftsman
    Also reminiscent of the Triton Spirotechnique that I vaguely remember being posted here before

(found it http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...er-deep-divers
    Last edited by cad monkey; 26th December 2013 at 11:15.

Quote Originally Posted by cad monkey View Post
    Also reminiscent of the Triton Spirotechnique that I vaguely remember being posted here before
    Very true. Very similar premise, but without the hinged top lug.

Master
    If the lug to lug length was ok for the smaller wristed gent, I'd be all over this. Sans bezel I think.

All the PRS I've tried inc the Everest are simply too long for me.

Thicker hour markers wouldn't compromise the style IMO.

NATO in red on the dial would be great.

I'd be keen for a date if it could be fitted at 6, not sure 3 would work.

Master
    Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to increase the amount of lime to be similar to that of the PRS-10 without compromising the style too much? I was also wondering if it would be possible to slope the bezel toward the watch face and increase the lime by using the sloping face (sorry if I haven't explained that to well - but I mean something looking like this http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men...mak-skosi.html )

Quote Originally Posted by Recht View Post
    Tritium tubes would look nice on this.
    You need a different hand-height movement so that the hands clear the tubes and then the dial needs to be deeper in the case so that the tubes on the hands clear the crystal. This would probably add 2mm to the thickness of the watch (and a bit of cost).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    You need a different hand-height movement so that the hands clear the tubes and then the dial needs to be deeper in the case so that the tubes on the hands clear the crystal. This would probably add 2mm to the thickness of the watch (and a bit of cost).

Eddie
    The slim design is crutial to the whole style of the watch in my opinion. The 2mm extra height could make it a little unbalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    With bezel and "interesting hands". Bigger plots for the lune too. No date thank you. Titanium would be an interesting choice too. Bring it on.
    Likin' this.

IMO needs more military hands and dial to keep the tool theme running, e.g. Dreadnought-esque

Master
    The pictures posted at the top of the thread are of a real watch, a prototype has already been produced. The strap doesn't appear to interfere with the crown in this picture.

Eddie
    Quote Originally Posted by CR View Post
    Reminds me of the old French ZRCs (borrowed pic):

Eddie,
    I'll preface by saying that I think for myself I'd rather have the just now passed into the lonnngggg goodnnniiii ....... Precista version of the PRS-10, and thought the only potential and quite small shortcoming I had personally heard of that discontinued model's design having might have been that its semi-hooded lugbars limited strap choices to the thinner ones. I'd end up using NATOs with it myself anyway, so that wouldn't even have been a shortcoming for me.

I also almost always gravitate toward vintage classic.

But my guess is that you might just possibly be actually going for a military contract with MOD for a (or THE) new General Services watch with this one so are maybe in the business of engineering a "new" classic original.

That said, I think I'd personally grow to like this one very much if:

--- It was to have the military specification "armoured" steel tension ring secured acrylic crystal of the earlier TF PRS-10s and I believe all British MOD issue GS watches going back at least to the Smiths .4701 W10s and 6Bs of 1967/70 .......

--- It had the crown at 6 o'clock instead of 12 because I think the crown itself would be safer positioned at the inside of the wrist, as with the French ZRC that CR shows above, rather than at the outside of the wrist where it's too likely to get knocked when fending off blows from an attacker or knackered up by the teeth of the very next bad guy you karate chop in the mouth and miss by a bit, etc., etc., .........

[Not only that, and this is subjective, but while really liking the basic case shape of this watch aesthetically, the 12 o'clock crown put me off immediately on seeing it at the same time the vintage ZRC that CR shows above with a similar basic case shape but with the crown at 6 o'clock subjectively looked fine to me the first time I saw it .............]

--- It had a military standard solid threaded screwdown caseback instead of the caseback shown by the designer with six(6) tiny fiddly slot head screws that I assume could so easily strip the teeny tiny threads at the tiny fiddly caseholes and/or tiny fiddly screwshafts ...............

--- It had a solid bezel and a utilitarian date like your latter Precista PRS-10 had. However, maybe a version having an optional rotating 12H bezel and a date would make an excellent modern 6B for aircrew and special forces ...................

[As to the date for this watch, maybe you could consider using a date wheel that has black numerals on a fully lumed SuperLuminova background so that possibly the date could be read in the dark under some conditions]

A final thought is that I personally think SuperLuminova has much more "bang for the buck" compared to tritium tubes, but I think the best choice for this ([?]potential candidate for MOD's[?]) new GS watch would be the type of lumination and extent of it you think MOD might most likely choose for a new specification W10/6B in considering cost v. performance, etc.
    Last edited by Rollon; 27th December 2013 at 16:20.

^^^ So you actually want a completely different watch Bob? ;-)

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    I call it TWEEKED

That looks awesome

Eddie
    I would much prefer tritium tubes on a Precista Swiss Commando Navigator reissue.

I like that a lot, great design, functional, looks different.

I'd buy one.

Dave

I like it a lot. As long as it's not very big, it'll be perfect.

Master
    Simple, stylish, different, retro, it's an interesting looking piece. I'd personally like to see a wrist shot for a feeling on how subtle (or conversely in your face) it is in the metal.

With no date, and identical 12o'clock / 6o'clock hour markers, the watch could be worn either way up (crown at the top, or crown at the bottom)

I am wearing my PRS-4 quartz today, and I often wondered why we need to over engineer a screw down crown - just to change the time twice a year, and the date once every two months.
    A no-date quartz could have the crown anywhere you wanted it.
    It will only be used when the clocks change in March & October.
    So it's not a major problem to move the strap to one side if required.

I like it.

I wonder at the difference in water resistance between a screw-down back and one with, er, screws. My guess would be that there wouldn't be much in it, all other manufacturing factors aside?

I like the idea of having the dial sterile to allow it to be worn either way up... I like even more the idea of having the dial mounted to the case rather than the movement and able to be rotated 180° to facilitate the same thing on a branded dial :)

Ah ha
    That is why the vlfl^ logo is reversable.
    So the logo can be top of the dial, or reversed to the bottom.

Dooooh.

Master
    I am really liking that a lot, I would like to see a mock up with bigger lume plots though like on that old ZRC. I don't think it needs anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Ah ha
    That is why the vlfl^ logo is reversable.
    So the logo can be top of the dial, or reversed to the bottom.

Dooooh.
    Ahhh... I hadn't noticed thatˇ

:)

Really liking the look of this one a lot!
    Plenty of lume (if possible) and a brushed steel finish, not blasted.

Just my 2cs, but I'd buy one!

You would probably end up with a to thick and expensive watch, but a mechanical movement would be nice. No bezel or date please.

Craftsman
    Looks like what my idea of a futuristic watch might have been 30 years ago.
    I like the idea of being able to wear it crown up or crown down.

Thats a great case design. I would say make the lume dots slightly bigger and get some clear hands and you're done. Maybe some simple ladder style hands?

Master
    That is almost perfect IMHO, just need to put a round lume plot on the seconds hand like the ZRC.

Master
    That's certainlya distinctive and clean look. If it's going to be quartz how about hiding the crown / make it vestigial. That would make the whole thing even cleaner.

I would vote for no date and perhaps option of both plain bezel and military 60 min.

Craftsman
    Very interesting, no date no bezel for me. The unique form is then undisturbed. Matt steel or titanium.

Craftsman
    And keeping with the upside down possibility have NATO above the hands and OTAN underneath.

Journeyman
    ^ Or perhaps something similar to this:

Master
    Sorry, but I think having OTAN on the watch is going to look daft.
    If it has to say NATO on it - and it is to be reversible - then an ambigram is the only way to go.

I'm no graphic designer - but someone muight be able to tweak the TH text into an upside down M to make the SMITHS name reversable.

SIS

Sorry - that still looks like: SHIITHS

It needs someone with talent to do it correctly.

Looks very similar to a Laco Squad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    I'm no graphic designer - but someone muight be able to tweak the TH text into an upside down M to make the SMITHS name reversable.

SIS
    Hmmm...funny - for some reason I thought it would be produced as a Precista....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    If it has to say NATO on it - and it is to be reversible - then an ambigram is the only way to go.
    Organisation du traité de l'Atlantique Nord seems OK to me.

Master
    Its amusing because 5 seconds to check on the web and look at the NATO website shows that it is quite clearly NATO OTAN as shown above in this thread. It might seem daft but would be entirely correct and accurate to put this on the watch. It also has the nice touch of being respectful to all those out there that are not anglophones.

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Hmmm...funny - for some reason I thought it would be produced as a Precista....
    I was looking the easiest Timefactors brand name which could be spelt backwards.
    Precista would be difficult to read upside down.

SmithS would be easiest I think... don't have access to any graphical apps at the moment, but imagine it written twice - one inverted under the other - but sharing the same start and end S.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Its amusing because 5 seconds to check on the web and look at the NATO website shows that it is quite clearly NATO OTAN as shown above in this thread. It might seem daft but would be entirely correct and accurate to put this on the watch. It also has the nice touch of being respectful to all those out there that are not anglophones.
    Interesting, never seen that before (though rarely have occasion to visit the NATO website!).
    It would be accurate but I doubt I'd buy one with OTAN on it as it would still look odd to me.

Maybe a sterile dial would be best?

It will most likely be a Smiths.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by andamanen View Post
    Thats a great case design. I would say make the lume dots slightly bigger and get some clear hands and you're done. Maybe some simple ladder style hands?

Slightly larger Lume dots at 3/6/9/12 would give a nicer balance to the dial and male it more legible, without having too may large plots.
    It's just a matter of time...

Interesting, never seen that before (though rarely have occasion to visit the NATO website!).
    It would be accurate but I doubt I'd buy one with OTAN on it as it would still look odd to me.

Maybe a sterile dial would be best?
    I would prefer sterile as well. Maybe some black-on-black printing like on the Smiths Everest.

Master
    Gloss black text on matte black dial, now were talking. That would be ideal in my opinion.

Very interesting case, go for it!

Going to be some very angry french around.
    http://www.nato.int/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYING MONKEY View Post
    Going to be some very angry french around.
    http://www.nato.int/
    I think there are a lot more serious things in the world for the french to get angry about than a watch from an english watch company not having the french version of NATO on it or a british person's opinion on such.

I think it would look daft, but that is my opinion, and I wouldn't buy one with OTAN on it. I buy NATO straps not OTAN straps so it would just be wrong.

I don't mind other languages on watches - I have one russian diver and another on the way. But - to me - OTAN would look wrong.

Craftsman
    To have both NATO as well as OTAN, as on display on vehicles or uniform patches, adds a bit of "in service" feel to the watch, on the other hands, runs into the risk of "walting".

Case design is great, SMITH is a proud name and if that is gloss black on matt, no need for any other info on the dial.
    To be able to wear it upside down, the less on the dial the better.

I only brought OTAN up to look from all angles and deliver input to a great watch.

What I would not like is a bezel on this watch case as it would distract from the unique design.