closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A much more humble SOTC

A much more humble SOTC

No doubt some of the watches I'll picture here will leave you scratching your head, saying "WTF?" But after thirteen years of collecting, I still love an occasional cheap indulgence. I usually don't end up wearing them out of the house much, but they are a nice diversion when I get bored with the keepers. Enough said, on with the show...

Obviously the Armida picture is not mine (not that my pictures are much better), but the Armida is currently gift wrapped and sitting under the tannenbaum waiting for Christmas morning. Of the others, the Seiko SKX mod is something I put together myself and am rather proud of as it is currently running at -1 sec/day and houses movement parts from two different watches. A true Frankenstein if ever there was. The Doxa is away for a new crown at Motor City Watchworks. Lest anyone mistake it for a common Searambler, I'll point out that it's a very seldom seen silver Sharkhunter (those who know Doxas know that different dial colors are specific to certain models and that Sharkhunters are supposed to be black dials). The four beaters at the tail end are hard to let go of regardless of their humble origins. Some watches are a bargain, even at less than $100. And the last watch, the Elgin PW, belonged to my grandfather, and was his high school graduation present in 1924. Certainly the one true keeper in the whole bunch.

The collection pales in comparison to the standards set in other SOTC threads (Tony sets a blistering pace) and my pics, taken with my 12 year old Sony Cyber Shot (a whopping 1.2 megapixels), are the only type of shot the camera does a reasonably good job with. The Rolex and MM300 are my favorites, but the group could change and morph upward as time goes on. Still, considering that ten years ago I owned about fifty Vostoks, it's been an interesting journey. I looked at the parking lot at work today and it occurred to me that my collection was worth more than quite a few of the cars parked out there. A lot of entry level people where I work, but still, a funny feeling.
    Last edited by TakesALickin; 24th December 2013 at 12:38.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    The collection pales in comparison to the standards set in other SOTC threads
    I wouldn't compare to others. Peer pressure, it's never good! Yours is an interesting collection with some nice pieces regardless of individual value. I think my fave there is the B42, it's something I've thought about a few times.

Ditto - the only factor that's important is the pleasure these silly things bring. I've always liked your outside in the wet photos, and think that's a great collection.

It's particularly interesting to see what makes up a collection after the higher end pieces. The Casios are very appealing, as is the IWC homage. Which models are they?

Cheers

I like black faced divers and I love your collection :) thanks for sharing.

Love the b-42, stunning piece You dont often see.

Craftsman
    Great collection and another vote for the B42!

Master
    Great collection - it shows heart, rather than just throwing money at the watches you think you should have for the "perfect collection".

You do like your chunky bezels though, don't you?!

Mmmmmm , yummy Doxa !!!!

Master
    Looks like a cracking collection of watches to me and it seems that you've ended up with a selection of watches you are happy to wear.
    Each collection is (and should be) unique and what appeals to the individual and so competes on its own merits rather than price.

Journeyman
    Very nice collection.

Craftsman
    Really nice collection, congrats.

You have made me want an Armida now, I will look forward to hearing your thoughts over the coming months!

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    I wouldn't compare to others. Peer pressure, it's never good! Yours is an interesting collection with some nice pieces regardless of individual value. I think my fave there is the B42, it's something I've thought about a few times.
    Thanks, I have gone my own way, for sure. The B42 is a watch that I cannot let go of. I sold this very watch to a friend and then bought it back three years later. While in his stewardship, he completed the kit and added the OEM fitted leather strap and OEM fitted rubber. It's definitely an underrated sleeper in the world of watches.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ditto - the only factor that's important is the pleasure these silly things bring. I've always liked your outside in the wet photos, and think that's a great collection.
    The outdoor rain shots came about quite by accident. After struggling for years to get the camera to take acceptable interior shots, I happened to see another collector post a rainy deck shot one day and thought I'd give it a try. Voila! It turns out that if the little camera gets enough light in the aperture it can produce a good shot. So, moody, arty, sexy dark shots are never gonna happen with my camera!

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    It's particularly interesting to see what makes up a collection after the higher end pieces. The Casios are very appealing, as is the IWC homage. Which models are they?
    The Casios are the now discontinued Marlin (that's the diver on the Maratac) and the EF503D-1AV (the Speedy homage). The Marlin was a gift, but is a reliable quartz watch that is just worth way more than the price tag. If you can find these, they're usually less than $100 (Ł63). Ditto for the EF503 - usually around that same price and comes with a solid link bracelet that includes solid end links. From five feet away it bears a striking resemblance to this. The IWC homage is a Parnis Chinese clone. The quality is not quite up to Casio standards, but for no more often than I want to wear a pilot's chrono, it keeps me from throwing $1300 bucks at a similar Fortis.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Love the b-42, stunning piece You dont often see.
    Quote Originally Posted by storm9 View Post
    Great collection and another vote for the B42!
    I think Fortis has ruined the model with the new generation which includes a rather chunky saw toothed bezel. But the previous generation (like mine) are a beautiful balance of design elements and are extremely legible. The combination of dive watch with pilot-ish dial markers really sets it apart from most other divers I've owned.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Great collection - it shows heart, rather than just throwing money at the watches you think you should have for the "perfect collection".

You do like your chunky bezels though, don't you?!
    I think we all come full circle eventually, and arrive back at the things which first drew us in. For me that has always been divers. I got my first one at age 12 (a Timex submariner clone), and from then on I was hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Cal.11/12 View Post
    Mmmmmm , yummy Doxa !!!!
    I am missing that one quite a bit. Once I get it back, I suspect it will be honeymoon time all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    Really nice collection, congrats.

You have made me want an Armida now, I will look forward to hearing your thoughts over the coming months!
    I'll be experimenting with various artificial patina induction methods. I'll post photo updates of my progress.

Very nice indeed. I'm particularly liking the vintage Omega too.

Great little mix you have there really refreshing to see! I had one of those Casio divers watches you have there they have a great back light only problem I found was the glass looked like it would scratch really easy but definitely a good little holiday watch. I have been giving some serious consideration to getting one of those Precista divers watches for the summer is yours quartz or auto?

Like the pocket watch too, I have an old Hamilton with a very similar design.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Great little mix you have there really refreshing to see! I had one of those Casio divers watches you have there they have a great back light only problem I found was the glass looked like it would scratch really easy but definitely a good little holiday watch. I have been giving some serious consideration to getting one of those Precista divers watches for the summer is yours quartz or auto?

Like the pocket watch too, I have an old Hamilton with a very similar design.
    The back light is a nice feature on the Casio, and great for bed time wear. I suppose it would come in handy in a darkened cenote, but I'll bet that most of the time owners are using it to see what time it is that they're getting up to go pee. The crystal had a little chip on the edge when I received it, but as it's a beater to start with and so cheap to replace, it doesn't bother me much. The Precista is the quartz version (PRS-18Q for quartz, and PRS-18A for auto). I'm planning on using this for actual diving as the quality is top notch and if I booger it up most parts should be fixable. I just got a distressed leather pilot's strap that I had planned to use on the Poljot chrono, but it didn't look right with that watch - it does, however look like da bomb with the Precista.

The pocket watch is something everyone should own even if not acquired as a family heirloom, simply to see how beautiful watch movements used to be. I recently took that PW to a local watchmaker to get a quote on a COA. Later in the day, I remembered it was in my pocket and I took it out, only to notice that the watchmaker had wound it and set it running (it had not run since my grandfather's death in 1984). Out of curiosity, I checked to see if the watch maker had set the watch against a time reference. It was running spot on with the atomic GMT clock online. Thirty years, no service, and had not lost a second after six hours of running. That's a nice movement.

Great collection of divers. Really love the look of the Armida.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    Great collection of divers. Really love the look of the Armida.
    Fellow forum member and sadistic tease Tim63 received his last week. He has been sending me pictures via PM, and I'm sure his intentions are noble, but it has been a torment (just kidding, Tim). Here are Tim's latest...

I like that the A7 bears a passing resemblance to the Eterna Konitki IDF Special Forces divers from the 70s, without being a direct copy. Christmas morning cannot arrive soon enough.

Thanks for posting those photos. According to their website, there's 10% off order placed over Christmas. I can see this not ending well if I have too much to drink on Christmas Day. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    Thanks for posting those photos. According to their website, there's 10% off order placed over Christmas. I can see this not ending well if I have too much to drink on Christmas Day. Cheers.
    Yeah, that price was too good to pass up. The full kit included a Maratac with matching brass hardware as well as an Isofrane type rubber (real rubber, not the nasty dust magnet silicone type), also with a matching brass buckle. Oh, and a second all-brass bezel. How could I not buy that? I mean... how could Santa not get that for me?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Really nice divers there!

Master
    An eclectic mix for sure albeit a general leaning towards toolish styles. I like the outdoors feel to the pics. Small sensor cameras can often give good close up pics as you can get close without the need for a fancy lens. These come out well.
    Thanks for sharing.

Cracking collection
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

The Casios are the now discontinued Marlin (that's the diver on the Maratac) and the EF503D-1AV (the Speedy homage). The Marlin was a gift, but is a reliable quartz watch that is just worth way more than the price tag. If you can find these, they're usually less than $100 (Ł63). Ditto for the EF503 - usually around that same price and comes with a solid link bracelet that includes solid end links. From five feet away it bears a striking resemblance to this. The IWC homage is a Parnis Chinese clone. The quality is not quite up to Casio standards, but for no more often than I want to wear a pilot's chrono, it keeps me from throwing $1300 bucks at a similar Fortis.
    Many thanks

I think that's a great collection. Given your user name I would have expected a Timex though….

I really like the look of the Armida....seems I need a new watch!

Quote Originally Posted by TikTokTrev View Post
    I really like the look of the Armida....seems I need a new watch!

A8 now ordered.....why oh why did I click on this thread?!

Very nice IMO.
    And what's the most important, you obviously enjoying your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    I think that's a great collection. Given your user name I would have expected a Timex though….
    Well, that's how it all started 44 years ago. As we all know, this hobby gets more, rather than less expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TikTokTrev View Post
    A8 now ordered.....why oh why did I click on this thread?!
    Sorry!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry! [/QUOTE]

No problem.....I've had more costly clicks on this forum!
    The watch has already been dispatched...due for delivery in London this Friday!!
    Crickey!

Blog Entries

Cool

Lovely set there matey and some cracking shots.

Have you ever thought about adding a diver????

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Lovely set there matey and some cracking shots.

Have you ever thought about adding a diver????

Paul
    I knew I was missing something! I'll get right on it.

Love your collection, Jeff! That silver Sharkhunter is very cool and very rare.

Thanks, Steve - always tough to endure when one is out for repair, but that is the reality of long term watch ownership (versus constant flipping, which used to be my SOP). Eventually these little treasures require some maintenance. It will be good to get that one back.

Really like the Fortis, I have four but they are pilots here are a couple.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Craftsman
    Loving the collection, especially the Armida Jeff!

Quote Originally Posted by FLYING MONKEY View Post
    Really like the Fortis, I have four but they are pilots here are a couple.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    I suspect I'll eventually cave in and buy a Fortis pilot's chrono, too. There are just so many in their line that I like and the used prices are usually a little less than Sinns (which I see as being their natural rivals). In between the first and second times I owned the Marine Master, I shacked up with a B-42 Cosmonaut, also a fun watch.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanCarrera View Post
    Loving the collection, especially the Armida Jeff!
    Thanks, Sean - get 'em while they're discounted! After Christmas the price goes up somewhat.

Sinn alas I own a couple as well [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And those russian spacemen made me do it

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by FLYING MONKEY View Post
    And those russian spacemen made me do it

Yeah, that one has drilled its way into my mind. Probably only a matter of time before I pull that trigger.

Yeah, that one has drilled its way into my mind. Probably only a matter of time before I pull that trigger.
    This one is nice and much smaller than most, would love the Lemania 5100 version.