closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Monnin Dive Watches - Info please

Monnin Dive Watches - Info please

Seeing the lovely Heuer 844 Monnin in the Friday thread today has re-kindled my interest in these.

I've had a quick look around the net, but I want to find out more & wondered if anyone who had already been down this road before would help me out please?

Clearly other watches e.g. CWC's use
    the same case, at least very similar (re-engineered??) versions of it - which is correct?

It doesn't look like Monnin still make the case / watches? If correct when did they stop & did someone else take over?

Is there a list of watches using the same or the re-engineered case?

What's the storey please?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I once did a bit of searching when writing something about CWC (see the paragaraph 'The RN diver case') -

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/routes-cwc-727155.html

There's probably some more definitive information, but I couldn't find it at the time. I'd be interested to know more - or to be corrected on what I wrote.

Monnin.ch still exists (as does the probable casemaker of these watches, M.R.P. SA), although they appear to be doing less assembly and more manufacturing, including anti-shock devices, by the look of it:

(C) www.monnin.ch

IIRC Heuer wanted to venture into the dive watch market in the late 70's. To keep costs down and test the waters, they went to Monnin who branded watches for them.

Monnin also made virtually identical watches for other manufacturers. The cases seem to be generic in design and were carried over into the full Heuer production models as well as being used extensively by other manufacturers including CWC.

Stewart's Heuerville has for the best summary.

The autos, in good nick, are very, very rare. As in, only a handful in the wild in a year. I spent the best part of a year looking!

Considering their looks, rarity, and importance - the watch that saved Heuer - they are incredibly cheap. A rolex with similar credentials would be insanely priced.

Cheers

Dd

Drifting slightly off topic, but does that shock protection device look like Paraflex to anyone? And if so, why are Monnin assembling them...?

All I can say is I wish I hadn't sold mine.

Anyone know how easy it is to get your hands on an 844 Monnin dive watch, particularly the Heuer 844 ??

Seeing these in recent posts has got me wanting one

Master

So this is an Monnin ?

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by 9:59 View Post

So this is an Monnin ?

Hans
    No, a Monnin would not have 'Swiss Made' on the dial?

Apprentice
    I am still searching for my heuer monnin....

I found 3 good-ish ones in a year. If the Heuer Monnin was a Rolex, it would be worth £50K :)

dd

Apologies for the thread resurrection......

I have been considering an 844 diver (preferably a Monnin) since I saw the gorgeous 844 Heuer Monnin that the OP was referring to.

I have done some research and it appears that G Monnin did not only provide the 844 cases to Heuer but also numerous other brands (ROCA, Bessa, Nimrod, Elgin) to name a few.

All of the other brands I have seen do not seem to have the Monnin signed movements so was it only Heuer that were provided with Monnin movements ?

Ideally I would like Heuer 844 Monnin although I think that the rarity and price will probably stop this one from happening. If there are any other brands with a Monnin signed movement then that would probably be my second choice and thirdly an 844 diver.

My question(s) are;

how often do any of these come available and is there anywhere I should be looking, and,

how much should I expect to pay for each of the options ??

Any help will be greatly received

R

I had 2 mint autos & sold them last year. They are available within the Heuer community if you stick a WTB up on there one will surface

another lookalikey. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    I had 2 mint autos & sold them last year. They are available within the Heuer community if you stick a WTB up on there one will surface
    Do you have a link to the forum ?? (is it chronocentric ??)

I'm happy with either a quartz or auto (I do quite fancy a quartz if i'm honest)

Any ideas how much the Heuer Monnin command these days both as quartz and auto ? I was thinking about £750-£1000 for the autos ??
    Last edited by clemenry; 3rd February 2014 at 10:08.

More like twice that for the auto, depending on condition. £1500-1800 is what I've seen, if you mean a proper Monnin with the red numbers and french text

dd
    Quote Originally Posted by clemenry View Post
    Do you have a link to the forum ?? (is it chronocentric ??)

I'm happy with either a quartz or auto (I do quite fancy a quartz if i'm honest)

Any ideas how much the Heuer Monnin command these days both as quartz and auto ? I was thinking about £750-£1000 for the autos ??

Sold both my autos for round the £900-£1000 mark

No way would i pay more than that for a Monnin as at £1500-£1800 you are in Autavia money

I probably over-egged it. There were three as far as I can see on Chronotrader last year, that went for about your range, one more like £1400.

On ebay, they've been dearer, and just as hard to find. More like £1400+

I think the price that people in the Heuer world sell to each other for isn't necessarily the price a newbie punter will get.

Cheers

dd

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Sold both my autos for round the £900-£1000 mark

No way would i pay more than that for a Monnin as at £1500-£1800 you are in Autavia money

I know the monnin is a special watch but it's really a generic diver with a Heuer badge on it. I'd put my money hands down on an auto chrono if I was getting to the heights of £1500, mind you Finding an Autavia for that these days is becoming a joke

Blog Entries

I have this incoming and I wonder if anyone has any insight other than "it's a Monnin case Sinn". :D
    It's definitely from before 1994 since it's a "Swiss made" Sinn. Some googling tells me CWC used the same bezel 1983-1985.

I already have a issued CWC from 1996 with Monnin case and I love it! Looking forward to comparing them.

Master

Heuer 1000 in a Monin

Blog Entries
    Received information from Sinn now. There are no records from this time but luckily they had two employees who remember the model. It's a Sinn 805 produce 1983-1989. The watch was available with both Ronda 375 movement and ETA955.122 movement. It was fitted with acrylic or sapphire crystal and the price was around 190 Deutsche Mark or 300 depending on execution.

It will arrive tomorrow so I'll open it up to check which movement it has. Parts are also still available for these cases so I'll order a new crown and a new caseback gasket soon, perhaps also a new crystal which should make the watch "waterproof" again.