closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Samsung phone users

Samsung phone users

If you have been eagerly awaiting the new software update.........its here.

Just go into settings>software update and it will be there, don't know which it is yet as its still downloading, but my guess is its JB4.3 as I an using a Note II .............would be fantastic if it was Kitkat, but I very much doubt it.

The install has just begun and its JB4.3 so if you don't want it..........disable your auto updates asap and wait for Kitkat to be released in January

Master
    Hi mate I turned off my software auto updates so I haven't got this yet but I have been reading about it on the android forum and it doesn't seem good with complaints about battery drain etc.

You may as well be talking gujurati for all that I understand

I'm on KitKat 4.4.2 with rooted S3 courtesy of Cyanogen boys ....

running nicely too!

Rod
    Last edited by Rod; 18th December 2013 at 09:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    If you have been eagerly awaiting the new software update.........its here.

Just go into settings>software update and it will be there, don't know which it is yet as its still downloading, but my guess is its JB4.3 as I an using a Note II .............would be fantastic if it was Kitkat, but I very much doubt it.
    Mine updated to 4.3 a couple of weeks ago, but I can't really report any differences from the earlier OS installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    wait for Kitkat to be released in January
    That sounds a bit overly optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Hi mate I turned off my software auto updates so I haven't got this yet but I have been reading about it on the android forum and it doesn't seem good with complaints about battery drain etc.
    This is Samsung's second attempt at 4.3 and should be okay. The first attempt, in November, was aborted due to all sorts of issues.

My note 3 updated this morning. Haven't noticed any difference yet.

The note 2 seems faster and scrolls smoother, the notification bar is now transparent, all seems ok for now.....I thought air view was on 4.3, cant find that feature, anyone know if it should be there?

I only turned my wifi on to reset the time and now my S4 Mini has gone download crazy. I don't even know what half the stuff is, but I'm certain it will be a battery drainer.

Update: It's showing Android 4.2.2. No idea if that's old or new, and can't tell any difference either way.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 18th December 2013 at 14:35.

Master
    Mine won't update, because I had my phone unlocked :(

Quote Originally Posted by colin View Post
    Mine won't update, because I had my phone unlocked :(
    You can always download the appropriate firmware from samfirmware and then flash your phone with Odin.

Plenty of info out there on the internet, and it's easy once you know how.

I got the 4.3 update over air in November (Galaxy S4) and I have not been able to connect to my home wifi since. It says "WIFi connection slow, wifi disconnected". The net is riddled with blogs about the same complaint and various other bugs. Vodafone have just given me a free increased data allowance until Kit Kat arrives by way of apology as there is no going back once updated. I would recommend you don't take the update!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    You can always download the appropriate firmware from samfirmware and then flash your phone with Odin.

Plenty of info out there on the internet, and it's easy once you know how.
    Ahh I read about Odin. Annoyingly it's only for Windows. Oh well, I've been meaning to set up a VM for a while now anyway...

Ahh I read about Odin. Annoyingly it's only for Windows. Oh well, I've been meaning to set up a VM for a while now anyway...
    You can avoid using Windows by flashing with Mobile Odin. Very easy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...odin.pro&hl=en

You'd need to root first though.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I got the 4.3 update over air in November (Galaxy S4) and I have not been able to connect to my home wifi since. It says "WIFi connection slow, wifi disconnected". The net is riddled with blogs about the same complaint and various other bugs. Vodafone have just given me a free increased data allowance until Kit Kat arrives by way of apology as there is no going back once updated. I would recommend you don't take the update!!
    The only 4.3 update being pushed to phones now is the corrected version. If you're offered a patch for the version you have installed you should accept it.

Heimdall also works and is cross platform
    http://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/

Master
    You can avoid using Windows by flashing with Mobile Odin. Very easy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...odin.pro&hl=en

You'd need to root first though.
    Thanks!

Master
    That sounds a bit overly optimistic.

This is Samsung's second attempt at 4.3 and should be okay. The first attempt, in November, was aborted due to all sorts of issues.
    Thanks Tony so you reckon it's ok now, I stopped my phone getting an auto update just in case it's not a good one so I need to do it manually but if this second attempt is good then I will get it : )

Thanks Tony so you reckon it's ok now, I stopped my phone getting an auto update just in case it's not a good one so I need to do it manually but if this second attempt is good then I will get it : )
    Yes, anything being pushed to phones now is fine. The dodgy 4.3 was pulled after a few days.
    Not the finest episode in Samsung's history.

My S4 feels so slow in comparison to the Moto 8 . When I look at the RAM even when all apps are closed almost 900mb are being used. It must be all the Samsung crap. Any idea how I can get it just to Android and that only?

I've had my S4 since May and can't wait until March when I can upgrade to an iPhone 5S. I don't know why I bothered leaving Apple...
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    My S4 feels so slow in comparison to the Moto 8 . When I look at the RAM even when all apps are closed almost 900mb are being used. It must be all the Samsung crap. Any idea how I can get it just to Android and that only?
    Root it. I have a Galaxy S3 which was the same, full of bloatware by Samsung. Rooting gives you more storage by ridding the phone
    of unnecessary apps.Your phone will also be faster.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Root it. I have a Galaxy S3 which was the same, full of bloatware by Samsung. Rooting gives you more storage by ridding the phone

Rod
    Is rooting quite straight forward?

Rod
    I've never really had a problem with Samsung's bloat, it's the carriers that pile the crap on.
    Either way, rooting does indeed give you the ability to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Is rooting quite straight forward?
    Well it's relatively easy but there are caveats. You must do some research on your particular phone. Some reading here:-

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...-root-android/

Well it's relatively easy but there are caveats. You must do some research on your particular phone. Some reading here:-

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...-root-android/
    Thanks , will give that a read and hopefully a go.

Master
    well we all have different opinions : ) but to me an iphone 5 isn't an upgrade at all it feels like a backward step with that small screen, I find the iphone very inferior! My Galaxy Note 2 is FAR superior to my previous iphone

Rod
    More storage ? Mine is stock standard with a 64 Gb sd card inserted. Ive got dozens of films, music videos and god knows how many photographs. How much storage do you need in a phone ?

Hello I updated to 4.3 last night -Samsung galaxy note2.

1. Phone runs a bit faster
    2. Backgrounds for incoming email is now white rather than Black
    3. Some cosmetic changes to password login on front of phone
    4. Battery life seems to be worse
    5. Keypad font has changed
    6. Incoming text messages showing on half screen rather than discreet top one liner as previously
    7. Text message font size is bigger.

Just a few changes I have noticed to date. ..

Master
    Well I wish I hadn't upgraded it now as I can't get my home wifi at all!!!! The phone was fine before and now it is awful! What a shambles

Well I wish I hadn't upgraded it now as I can't get my home wifi at all!!!! The phone was fine before and now it is awful! What a shambles
    Oh dear. Keep yourself open to updates because there should be a patch. You might have just got the intitial download, with the patch on its way.
    It's easy enough to flash it back anyway.

I have used the Note II with its new update for a whole day as I did with the old software, everything works as it should do but faster and a lot smoother when flicking through screens, battery life isn't any worse than normal, but its no better either.
    The visual appearance does seem better with the transparent notification area at the top, but I am disappointed that Samsung didn't pop the Note 3 s pen stuff in there.

Been trying to update my S3 but I keep getting a message saying the update will be given out in order of access request or something and to try again later. Anybody else had this?

It's said that for the last two days :)

Cancel that, now updated. 4.3 on my device, looks pretty much the same, will see how battery hungry it is in the next few days.

Still planning on rooting it thanks to Rod's excellent help a few post ago :)
    Last edited by Odo; 19th December 2013 at 16:47. Reason: Sorted

How are you getting on with it?

I updated to the latest 4.3 MK6 firmware this morning and everything is 100%.