closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko spring drive divers

Apprentice

Grand Seiko spring drive divers

Hi all, new here, and although this has been discussed a million times or more, thought you could have my 2p worth having just left left Picketts in Southampton who are GS dealers. Firstly, can I just say, I am no watch fan as such, I like to have one or two nice watches, but that’s it, I can’t tell you who made what ? Or what watch does what and which is better than any other, which kind of makes my findings unbiased.

I currently have a Tag Carrera, an Omega Planet Ocean (2500D I was told, and by far my favourite) and an old Seiko 5 sports diver that I have had for many years. (it just won’t break so I keep it). Any way, I had been reading loads about GS so went to my local shop yesterday to have a look at both the Ti and Steel divers watches (A brand new Ti one is up on the bay and he had accepted 5300 dollars posted). I had a good long look and play with both and was massively disappointed, 5200 and 6000 pounds !!! You gotta be kidding ? The bezels felt different on both but no where near as precise and "clicky" as my PO (The Ti bezel felt worse than my 200 quid Seiko 5), the ratchet mechanism makes the strap far too wide at the clasp(Clasp ratchet mechanism build quality felt mediocre at best), the cheesy power gauge is best left on a Casio, the crown winder is scratchy feeling on both when winding, my PO is much brighter and clearer to read at a moments glance, and the hands when looked at in the flesh are a bit "my first watch" kiddy style. The Ti model felt too light and thus quite cheap and the general feeling of build quality from both was some where between my Seiko and my PO, but certainly nowhere near my PO. I had all but done the deal with the guys on the bay, even managing to avoid import duty, but I can’t even bring myself to spend the 3200 pounds on that one. I know you guys are gonna slate me, but another issue was the "its a Seiko" thing. At those prices, I would accept the Seiko thing, if they felt like they were made from granite, but they just were not. I honestly thought if they were about a quarter of the price they were at, then I may have had one for the nice sweep they have, but even at half price like the one on the bay... I decline.

All of this leaves me in a bit of a pickle, as I fancied something new as a self crimbo pressie, yet having been round various AD's in the last week, I think the Omega's feel the best built so far, and still love the PO, although the new 8500 is too fat ! Dare I visit the Rollie dealer next door to Picketts ??
    Last edited by Killy46; 12th December 2013 at 11:25.

Craftsman
    Much as I like the GS range I would have to agree there is still a stigma around the Seiko name regarding their high end watches. Purely by chance I found the Seiko Presage range in Ernest Jones, a mechanical Seiko at a very reasonable price (under £350 with discount). I bought the SSA083J1 which feels and looks like a much more expensive watch. Would suggest anybody like me fed up with battery changing takes a look.

Banned
    Odd post IMHO.

Not a watch fan, so signs up to a watch forum

Anyway, its your money, so buy what floats your boat.

The residuals on GS won't match sone of the other premium brands and the servicing is not as readily available, but if I were spending that much lolly, I'd certainly not ask a bunch of strangers on the web...

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you are disappointed.

But your findings do not correspond with a lot of owners.
    TI is always light and as I've said before, a "click" sound doesn't mean a bezel has a good construction.

A recent test in the German Chronos magazine put the GS on par with all the contenders in that price range and a AA+ for precise running.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Odd post IMHO.

Not a watch fan, so signs up to a watch forum

Anyway, its your money, so buy what floats your boat.

The residuals on GS won't match sone of the other premium brands and the servicing is not as readily available, but if I were spending that much lolly, I'd certainly not ask a bunch of strangers on the web...
    Hey man, was'nt really asking, more just clarifying my thoughts on GS, the blokey in shop did also say that all GS has to go to Japan for servicing, which could be a pain. Might roll with a new Rolex, as you so well point out, money is a little safer in the established brands, which is a shame cause I do like the spring drive idea. (Although, only today, I read its a partial quartz watch too)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Killy46 View Post
    Hey man, was'nt really asking, more just clarifying my thoughts on GS, the blokey in shop did also say that all GS has to go to Japan for servicing, which could be a pain. Might roll with a new Rolex, as you so well point out, money is a little safer in the established brands, which is a shame cause I do like the spring drive idea. (Although, only today, I read its a partial quartz watch too)
    A far better idea, a great watch, local service and rock solid residuals, Rolex is always a wise choice.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you are disappointed.

But your findings do not correspond with a lot of owners.
    TI is always light and as I've said before, a "click" sound doesn't mean a bezel has a good construction.

A recent test in the German Chronos magazine put the GS on par with all the contenders in that price range and a AA+ for precise running.

Daddel.
    I here what your saying, but can only go with what I felt on the day, not with what a magazine tells me, its the same with motorcycles, when one mag says the X-Y-Z is the best, then you test ride it your self only to think its far from that, you realise one mans best is another mans ill handling poorly made unrelaible tat !!

Blog Entries
    No, it's not.

A good test is a good test, and a watch is not a car.

But, since you are not a watchfan, don't buy with your heart and buy for resale, the choices are limited, and it should be relatively easy.

Daddel.

Any way, I had been reading loads about GS so went to my local shop yesterday to have a look at both the Ti and Steel divers watches
    What was it that attracted you? I assume the looks? If so, did they look as good in the flesh?

The bezels felt different on both but no where near as precise and "clicky" as my PO (The Ti bezel felt worse than my 200 quid Seiko 5)
    As already mentioned, the 'softer' feel of some bezels certainly doesn't mean it's not as well made. I, for one, prefer the almost damped feeling of the Seiko to what I perceive as a cheap 'clicky' feel.

the cheesy power gauge is best left on a Casio
    A view shared by a number of people but hardly an objective review.

I honestly thought if they were about a quarter of the price they were at, then I may have had one for the nice sweep they have, but even at half price like the one on the bay... I decline.
    Try looking at the other spring drives available, MM600 or a number of Anantas for example.

All of this leaves me in a bit of a pickle, as I fancied something new as a self crimbo pressie, yet having been round various AD's in the last week, I think the Omega's feel the best built so far, and still love the PO, although the new 8500 is too fat ! Dare I visit the Rollie dealer next door to Picketts ??
    Hardly a pickle. You dismissed a couple of watches from the shortlist, leaving just a few thousand other options. If you want a sub or a PO, go for it, then you'll be able to compare watches with all the other guys who aren't "watch fans as such".

Just buy the Seiko and enjoy it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Very happy with mine, but what would I know?

I've not handled many watches over the years, so I find it hard to judge quality of manufacture
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    No, it's not.

A good test is a good test, and a watch is not a car.

But, since you are not a watchfan, don't buy with your heart and buy for resale, the choices are limited, and it should be relatively easy.

Daddel.
    I disagree completely, my mate works for a large magazine firm who produce 13 different magazines on all subjects, and more often than not, the mags reviews are biased toward whoever buys the biggest lunch, with this in mind, I would always trust what the general populus thinks and my own judgement over what an incentive based magazine thinks. I think it is good to ask "a bunch of strangers" as firstly, they are not trying to sell you the item, and secondly, they have or know folk that have owned it. Recommendation is the best form of review you can get, as its impartial.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

I've not handled many watches over the years, so I find it hard to judge quality of manufacture
    SBGA031 on flea bay from USA at moment

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    What was it that attracted you? I assume the looks? If so, did they look as good in the flesh?

As already mentioned, the 'softer' feel of some bezels certainly doesn't mean it's not as well made. I, for one, prefer the almost damped feeling of the Seiko to what I perceive as a cheap 'clicky' feel.

A view shared by a number of people but hardly an objective review.

Try looking at the other spring drives available, MM600 or a number of Anantas for example.

Hardly a pickle. You dismissed a couple of watches from the shortlist, leaving just a few thousand other options. If you want a sub or a PO, go for it, then you'll be able to compare watches with all the other guys who aren't "watch fans as such".
    It was looks to start with, but personally I dont think they are as nice in the flesh. The MM's and the like you mention are a bit big for my liking, the bezels were nicely damped but different on both watches, and on the Ti one it felt loose and damped, was not great. Lastly on your mention of choice, unfortunately there is not a 1000's to choose from, as the shortlist was quite short.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Just buy the Seiko and enjoy it.
    Think not, will be another swiss me thinks, cheers anyway

Blog Entries
    Spring drive is the ultimate movement for me. Mine is +-0 seconds the last month. 72 hrs power reserve and pretty cheap service cost
    (300-400gbp).

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    Spring drive is the ultimate movement for me. Mine is +-0 seconds the last month. 72 hrs power reserve and pretty cheap service cost
    (300-400gbp).

A good movement, I agree, but 6000 smackers ?? My Planet Ocean gains 2 secs a day, and loses 2 secs a night if left crown up, it has gained about 1 sec according to atomic clock org in the last 6 months, however, it took about 3 months for me to notice this is how it should be left at night, but now I know, all is good, however, if a watch gains or loses a few seconds a week, I dont really care, I went for looks and build quality, and that is where(only my opinion remember) the GS fails for the money involved.

PS, that looks nice as dress watch, what model is that ??
    Last edited by Killy46; 12th December 2013 at 15:37.

SBGA031 on flea bay from USA at moment
    I know, but 20% VAT takes the shine off what might otherwise be a very decent price.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Apprentice
    I know, but 20% VAT takes the shine off what might otherwise be a very decent price.
    Dont tell him I said, but he offered to me for 5300 dollars inc postage, and he will tell customs its worth 200 dollars, then insure it privately, thus little or no import duties. He seems a very accomadating and genuine guy, dont think you can get one much cheaper at mo, I nearly bought it till my local shop visit.
    Last edited by Killy46; 12th December 2013 at 21:09.

Blog Entries
    Dont tell him I said, but he offered to me for 5300 dollars inc postage, and he will tell customs its worth 200 dollars, then insure it privately, thus little or no import duties. He seems a very accomadating and genuine guy, dont think you can get one much cheaper at mo
    VAT fraud aside (shhh!!), that would have been a very good deal. If I had the cash spare (sadly I've spent it all at the moment) I'd be taking up such an offer.

I appreciate your dislikes of the GS divers. They don't tick your boxes. I really don't see the need for some of the (mildly) defensive posts in this thread so far.

Despite being a GS fan (and will be buying more in future), I know they are not everyone's cup of tea. I have noticed that the 'it's just a Seiko' thing and the power reserve are common issues. I am surprised about the build quality comments though, as they seem very well made in my experience.

As for prices, they are high but not unreasonably so compared to the luxury watch competition. Nevertheless, I'd never buy one new; I always buy second hand, and that applies to any premium watch, not just GS.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    VAT fraud aside (shhh!!), that would have been a very good deal. If I had the cash spare (sadly I've spent it all at the moment) I'd be taking up such an offer.

I appreciate your dislikes of the GS divers. They don't tick your boxes. I really don't see the need for some of the (mildly) defensive posts in this thread so far.

Despite being a GS fan (and will be buying more in future), I know they are not everyone's cup of tea. I have noticed that the 'it's just a Seiko' thing and the power reserve are common issues. I am surprised about the build quality comments though, as they seem very well made in my experience.

As for prices, they are high but not unreasonably so compared to the luxury watch competition. Nevertheless, I'd never buy one new; I always buy second hand, and that applies to any premium watch, not just GS.
    defensive ?? Big girls blouse !! This watch forum is full of sensitive noshers, ta ta.

Banned
    This watch forum is full of sensitive noshers, ta ta.
    And now one less troll.

That was quick.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    That was quick.

R
    Early christmas present I guess.

Daddel.

Blog Entries
    defensive ?? Big girls blouse !! This watch forum is full of sensitive noshers, ta ta.
    You gone? Oh well.

When I wrote "defensive" I was actually referring to some of the responses to what you'd written; not your posts! I thought you were just giving your opinion in as unemotive a way as anyone can give their personal opinion. The (minor) defensiveness from a very few others were the emotive responses, I thought.

Blog Entries
    And now one less troll.
    I didn't think he was trolling. He came here and posted perfectly reasonable thoughts about a watch. Kind of like what I understand this place to be for.

Banned
    I didn't think he was trolling. He came here and posted perfectly reasonable thoughts about a watch. Kind of like what I understand this place to be for.
    No, been here before IMHO. Giveaway was the use of the term 'tat'.

Anyway, he's gone. Or has he?

Hmmmm. I have owned a PO 8500 and currently own the Chrono 9300 model. The OP refers to the fact that he has a PO but doesn't like the 8500 model as it's too fat so I can only assume he has a 2500.

The 8500 absolutely annihilates the 2500 in terms of build quality and the GS Spring Drive diver I owned was of a higher build/finish level than my 8500 and 9300 POs, and therefore would be so far ahead of the PO2500 in terms of build quality that it would be so obvious as to the difference.

I can therefore only come to the conclusion that the OP is either a troll or has managed to handle a defective GS SD diver as the GS is on a completely different level quality wise.

Blog Entries
    No, been here before IMHO. Giveaway was the use of the term 'tat'.

Anyway, he's gone. Or has he?
    Posting here for the first time recently does not imply that he has not been reading the forum for a long time. Clearly he had opinions that he wanted to share (and had probably been reading threads he felt he wanted to add to) and joined up and posted them.

Once again, I say that there was no evidence whatsoever of trolling. His opinions seemed like perfectly reasonable ones to me (and I say that as, in general, a fan of GSs!).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 14th December 2013 at 19:56.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I can therefore only come to the conclusion that the OP is either a troll or has managed to handle a defective GS SD diver as the GS is on a completely different level quality wise.
    Not necessarily. Although I too was surprised by his views on GS build quality (as I said in an earlier message), I also recognise that 'build quality' is a highly subjective measure. It's really difficult to put an objective measure on how something looks and feels in your hand. This is especially true (and I think this aspect is very important) when one compares it to its cost to buy.

For this reason I can only say that the OP's view that the GS's build quality did not match his Omega seems to me like a reasonable opinion (even though I disagree with it). There is certainly nothing especially shocking or trollish about it. It seems to be fully within the range of normal perceptions of watches.

Master
    But not as good as the one on WUS for $4900

I also share the same sentiments about Killy – but if he is a 'troll' revisiting under a new guise, then he'll be weeded out by Ed.
    Last edited by PJ S; 13th December 2013 at 07:26.

Yeah 99% of Seiko is a waste of precious resources and the bracelet of the GS diver looks cheap...

But I would like to have one someday before the Earth perishes.

No one else seems to have mentioned..... Pickets in Southampton are not a GS dealer. They do offer a very good range of Seiko's, but not GS. - So I doubt it was a GS he was looking at.

Banned
    Yes, it did seem like an odd first (?) post. Something about it wasn't right, although there are a lot of strange people out there. Here too

Craftsman

What a real beauty ,have you had it on rubber yet. If so pic's please .

Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    What a real beauty ,have you had it on rubber yet. If so pic's please .
    SBGA031 on rubber,

Craftsman
    Just get's better and better,i'd have a GS diver like yours over a Sub any day.

Master
    I'm not mad about the GS divers as I don't like the hands that much, but have to say, that looks stunning on the rubber band ^^ great pictures !

Some people may criticise GS for aesthetic reasons, but never the build quality.
    GS build quality is second to none.

I just love GS looks and quality but personally I would prefer a Swiss watch at this price range. I have to admit, only for the other people opinions, because unfortunately most people think that Seikos can not be expensive and one reason I'm wearing or not wearing an expensive watch is because it tracks attention. When this is something I want, I would prefer a watch that can do that, when it is something I don't want, there is no point to me to spend so much money on that. That is why my SKX007 is one of my favorite watches in my collection, although my daily beater is an SMP quartz for quite some time now. That is just my opinion and I might be wrong. Still GS are overall awesome watches!

Blog Entries
    1: Distinguishing between good and very good watch build quality requires experience. Some things like bezel action is different from brand to brand and has a lot to do with personal preference.

2: For me, the SD diver does not tick all the boxes. I haven't owned one, but handled it. That does however have nothing to do with the build quality, but taste. I think it's too big and I don't like the hands.

3: SD movements can now be serviced within UK. Polishing however needs to be done in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Some people may criticise GS for aesthetic reasons, but never the build quality.
    GS build quality is second to none.
    I'd agree with that sentiment. Maybe not second to none, but top execution.

Banned
    [QUOTE=S.L;2964962]SBGA031 on rubber,

Really looks good on the rubber, I'd like to try the blue dial version if I could find one pre-owned.

Craftsman
    The GS is a watch of beauty, one day i hope to own one, each to there own i guess but in the pictures it look gorgeous

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    No one else seems to have mentioned..... Pickets in Southampton are not a GS dealer. They do offer a very good range of Seiko's, but not GS. - So I doubt it was a GS he was looking at.
    Please go on grand seiko web site and search for dealers. Pickitts awarded GS a few months back now.

Thought you’d finished with us 'sensitive noshers’?

;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Please go on grand seiko web site
    Aw, i going to, but you've put me off. I'm buying an Invicta instead.

Please go on grand seiko web site and search for dealers. Pickitts awarded GS a few months back now.
    I wonder why the don’t list them on their website though?

R

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I wonder why the don’t list them on their website though?

R

The shame of the shoddy build quailty I imagine !!!

Apprentice

Ahh, an intelligent man at last !!! I thank you sir !