closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mega Passaround for Macmillan Cancer Support - 4 Interesting & Varied Watches

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats a good call Sean.

It should be about time that the 2nd watch comes around.

The Seiko arrived today

This really isnt the kind of watch that I would usually consider so its a good opportunity to try something different

Sorry for the low quality iphone pic

^^^^^^^^^

I'm really looking forward to this watch. Like you it's not normally something I'd go for, but it intrigues me. Let us know how you get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Just been told Bulova should be with me next week.
    I have that exact model - bracelet included. It's really not my normal thing, but certainly its bold and the sweeping movement is a joy to watch.

Swapping the battery is a challenge though... I had to build a special jig just to get the snap-back on - its tighter than a tight thing :)

Had the Seagull for a few days now -

image-1905960314.jpg

Likes - really enjoying legibility & dial layout
    Dislikes - not exactly running within COSC

Thinking of posting a full review before I pass it on

Arrived. (& I cannot believe it's brand new 6 months ago)

Just got one of these for my birthday today. Can you clarify your comment about it being new 6 months ago? Has it aged rapidly?

Here's mine, straight out of the box for the first time today:

(Just realised I need to alter the date...)

I had the seagull a while back but only got to wear it a couple of times.

Nice dial/hands and justified a nicer strap than the NATO it was on. Would happily give it a longer term home.
    Last edited by gunner; 1st July 2014 at 09:01.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.in.kendal View Post
    Just got one of these for my birthday today. Can you clarify your comment about it being new 6 months ago? Has it aged rapidly?

Here's mine, straight out of the box for the first time today:

(Just realised I need to alter the date...)
    I had this before Kirk in the pass around. Thought it was lovely. If put it on a different strap if I'd brought the watch, but the dial was lovely, the case shape nice and comfy on the wrist. Not sure on the ageing after 6 months......

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    Had the Seagull for a few days now -

Likes - really enjoying legibility & dial layout
    Dislikes - not exactly running within COSC

Thinking of posting a full review before I pass it on
    Please do...

Quote Originally Posted by simonoakey View Post
    I had this before Kirk in the pass around. Thought it was lovely. If put it on a different strap if I'd brought the watch, but the dial was lovely, the case shape nice and comfy on the wrist. Not sure on the ageing after 6 months......
    Must admit I'm not liking the strap one little bit. Not sure what else to put it on - it's quite a substantial chunk of watch on my puny wrist. Thinking of trying a hefty mesh...

The dial is excellent on Bulova which also happens to wear comfortably. I think the case design makes it easy to pick up scratches. Certainly takes a while to get used to.
    I'll be using mine as a beater, as I got it cheap. So I'll be interested to see how it well it wears.

Quote Originally Posted by kfman View Post
    Void V03b – brand new with box & papers

What's happened to this one Terry, no one seems to have anything at all to report?

Cheers

Dave

I've now packed up the Seagull 1963 and passed it on to the next custodian and I said I'd offer a more detailed review so here it is. First off I want to express my appreciation of this great fundraising activity that is the Mega Passaround - thanks again go to Terry for organising.

I was really keen to get my hands on the Seagull - It's one of those pieces that seems to have generated its own mythology with several reviews around the web and a fair amount of traffic on this and other forums. With good reason perhaps as I don't know of another hand winding column wheel chrono that's available for under £200, at least for this model. I say for this model as there are a number of variations available and you'll pay a bit more for the sapphire crystal option but for me this is the pick of the range: 38mm case with the 21 jewel movement on show through the display back and domed acrylic crystal.

First impressions on releasing it from the RM packaging and acres of bubble wrap was wow that's a handsome watch. The blued hands really stand out against the champagne silver dial that, along with the movement, is the nicest feature of this piece. With the two subdials there's a lovely symmetry. The sweep seconds is on the left with chrono minute register on the right (if you want to measure intervals of longer than 30 mins you are out of luck but eggs and parking meters are within its capabilities). I’m a sucker for this dial configuration and have always admired Jorg Schauer's Kulisse Edition 10 featuring the same layout, blued hands and silver dial. I'm also fond of choice of the central red chrono seconds hand to provide some visual interest.

All in all it's very well proportioned. The gold applied indices are maybe at odds with the heritage military look but work surprisingly well and the whole thing looks coherent, balanced and purposeful. Strapping it on directly after a wearing a Rolex sports I was surprised at how easy it was to read the time on the Seagull compared to the Rolex, a basic functional requirement that is often comically overlooked. I attribute the legibility to the high contrast between the simple blued stick hands and the understated pale dial which seems to fade into the background, gold indices et al. Nighttime visibility is not so hot of course - no lume.

The strap is a utilitarian khaki NATO. It fits the character of the watch and looks ok but there are better fabric options around - this one was already starting to show some fraying at the heat welded end. It was also starting to smell a little funky so I have it a light sponge bath with some fairy (off the watch of course - the water resistance of this is meant to be 30m but I'm taking no chances with a hand winding chrono that doesn't belong to me). That did the trick. I'd like to see this on a padded brown calf strap or maybe a riveted flieger type.

The case is all polished and of reasonable finish with piston type pushers and an unadorned crown. The crown on this example appeared to be very slightly wonky. Nothing to get excited about here - fit and finish feels like a modern low end seiko or orient but that's not necessarily an insult at this price point. The plastic crystal is highly domed making the watch around 14mm thick and clearly suits a vintage inspired design. It was already starting to show some fine scratches and does stand proud without much of a bezel to protect it so I imagine it will collect a few more before the Passaround is finished and somebody attacks it with a tube of polywatch. Much as I liked it on this watch I prefer a sapphire crystal on a daily wearer.

The back is a screwed on affair with a display window that they have unfortunately printed with lots of red crap, obscuring the rather nice movement. I'm guessing the display glass is mineral crystal so I am sure this could be removed with some elbow grease and mild abrasive, but it's the only real design gaff for me.

And now to the movement. The Seagull ST19 is, I believe, unique in this price bracket as it is a column wheel integrated chronograph. You can see the castellated column wheel in the photo. In the column wheel vs cam / lever actuated chrono debate I have no particular preference but not having owned a column wheel I was curious to see if there was a noticeable difference in the action. There wasn't. It's nonetheless an interesting talking point and the movement looks the part with blued screws and a decorated bridge - it's just a shame that the printing on the display back interferes with ones enjoyment of this spectacle. Probably best not to reach for your loupe though as I suspect the finishing is a little agricultural under scrutiny. For example It looks like the screws, like the hands, are not heat blued - under magnification they do seem to be lacquered. At this price it seems churlish to complain though.

I love data so I have to make a few comments on accuracy. I measured the watch over 2 weeks with the Watch Tracker app, giving it a full wind every morning. It gained on average 16 s per day, with around 7 s average variance from the mean rate and 8 s between the fastest and slowest rates. Based on these figures I doubt it could be adjusted and regulated to chronometer standards and this would probably annoy me if it were my only watch, but it's perfectly acceptable as part of a rotation where it would run down and necessarily be reset every few days anyway.

Reading this through I find I have repeatedly made apologies for shortcomings by referring to the price. It's hard not to as it is so damn cheap, but I should point out that I've handled watches many times the price that were hardly any better. it's a fine watch with some real horological interest. Close scrutiny does reveal some budget engineering - overall fit and finish, the cheapie NATO and the accuracy of the movement - but it's hard not to like and has to be one of the most bang for buck chronos around at the moment.

Other reviews are available.

wornandwound.com/2011/08/25/a-look-at-the-seagull-1963/

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2011/2/...bute-to-a.html

Any chance of an update on where the various watches are? I had the Bulova months ago and haven't seen hide nor hair of anything since.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfmannion View Post
    Any chance of an update on where the various watches are? I had the Bulova months ago and haven't seen hide nor hair of anything since.
    i was wondering the same, and I'm after you in our group

^^^^^^^This ^^^^^^

I have only had the Void so far and that was along time ago.

Journeyman
    I had the Void up until May 7th when I sent it on to the next person on the list. That might help you track down where it's at in the cycle. Quite enjoyed wearing it - it was quite striking and is the one my wife liked the most from this year's and last year's combined but it didn't have quite enough about it for me to feel an urgent need to get one. Prior to that I'd had the Seagull which I forwarded on January 24th. Looks like about 3 to 4 months between watches based on that simplistic observation so I'm expecting the next one round about the end of the month I think. Really didn't fall in love with the Seagull either I'm afraid.

Simon

Thanks Badger Plus for a useful review of the Seagull.....very good!

Master
    Been following this thread since day one, and although not taking part I have to say, very much enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakadu View Post
    Thanks Badger Plus for a useful review of the Seagull.....very good!
    +1. I'm really looking forward to this watch.

Before I packed the Seagull off I gave it a full wind as I was curious about whether it would still be running when it reached the next passarounder. It was wound at 15:30 and apparently had stopped at 6:20 when it arrived at its new home a couple of days later. I would guess it should have a reserve of at least 36 hours so conclude that the real world power reserve must be approximately 39 hrs (24 + 12 + 3ish).

Thanks to Sean the Bulova is with me.I actually like and it has been on the wrist for the last 2 days.Must agree though the case is very prone to light damage.I Particularly like the way the numbers are raised.

^^^Glad it arrived OK Tony.^^^

I haven't really had time to drop my thoughts on it. So how about now!

I'm not really sure if I liked this watch or not. I didn't find the strap very comfortable, I know that shouldn't be a negative on the watch, but it meant I didn't wear it as much as I thought I would. But putting that aside it was just little too big for me. I did like that the numbers were raised, it added a little class to it. And I loved the second hand sweep, it's mesmerising and just so smooth!

All in all I'm glad I got my hands on it, but it just didn't quite do it for me. Maybe I'd have liked it more on the bracelet???

Sean I will have a little bit of time on my hands (Excuse non intentional pun) on Tuesday and will get some better pictures and do a mini review of the watch.

Master

Wherabouts of the watches

Hi all, I haven't been following this thread recently. Too many other things to keep me busy outside of work, but I do regularly follow up by email to make sure that the watches are moving around as they should. Needless to say, it doesn't always go smoothly and people occasionally need a reminder to post a watch on and of course, a day or two extra with every participant means that delays do build up, so some patience is necessary I'm afraid :-)

Just to bring everyone up-to-date, this is where each watch is to the best of my knowledge:

Bulova - with itsgotournameonit and due to be passed on to the last person in group 2 within the next couple of weeks
    Seiko - posted this week to de30m so should move to the 1st person in group 3 in approximately 2 weeks time
    Void - with Gunner and due to be passed on to the last person in group 4 in about a weeks time
    Seagull - with Bloater and due to be passed on to the last person in group 1 any day now

As you can see, we are only just approaching the half way point. It will be early 2015 before this passaround ends but then it is bigger than the previous 2 which each took 12 months to run their course.

Can I ask people to remember to pass the watch on promptly after their 2 weeks is up and to email both the recipient and myself that the watch has been posted. This will improve the tracking process and keep things moving more smoothly.

Ive only had one so far - looking forward to the next one

It's 2015 already. Any news?

2014 Mega Passaround for Macmillan Cancer Support - 4 Interesting & Varied Wa...

It's running late (as it clearly would be if you do the maths) but don't worry as I'm sure we'll all get every watch. I've just the Bulova to go and I'm expecting that in March probably.

The Seiko was posted to Jim mid November and I think that means it has run its course.I only have the Seagull to try and that's it all done.

This was/is a great idea. Will there be a 2015 pass around?

^^Would like it to happen^^ I am certainly game to do it this year.

I received the Seagull this week. What a pretty watch it as and the photographs doesn't do it justice at all. The colour is wonderful.
    I have to admit I thought it was broken when it arrived because I shook it gently with the Seiko sweep before setting it and putting it on. An hour later it had stopped - it was shortly after that I realised it was manual wind!! OK, I know, stupid boy Pike.
    Put me down for the 2015 one if there is one even if I do win the Seagull :-)

The Void arrived last week and I have been wearing it at home in the evenings. I love the simple dial which reminds me of some of the medical instruments that I used when I worked in hospitals - its a little too sterile though as I like to see a makers name at least. The case diameter is fine but the the whole thing is way to thick for my taste (which is the main reason for moving on my Seafire). Its not too heavy though so thats a plus.

Timekeeping seems very good.

Here it is on my 6.75" wrist

Gents. Has this come to an end now? Everyone had their go with each watch? If so, when is the draw?

Not yet, I'm still waiting for the Bulova.

I haven't had the Bulova yet either

Must be near draw time

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I haven't had the Bulova yet either
    Me neither!

Master

the end is nigh

Hopefully you all received my email on the 22nd with an update on the watches. We are very close to doing a draw and 3 of the 4 watches will be despatched to the lucky winners immediately but the Bulova will be delayed as it is still doing the rounds.

Thanks to everyone who has played a part in this pass around. I'm not planning a fourth, not yet at least, but may do a single watch pass around, one of Eddies. I just need to do the maths to see if it makes sense. Let me know if interested and if so, what watch.

Agreed - many thanks for organising all of this Terry

A single TF passaround sounds good to me

Thanks for organising the passaround Terry, I'm sure it's not easy keeping track of them all.

I'd be interested in one of Eddie's PRS20s or the PRS30 on SC at the moment.

^^^^ Totally agree with the above ^^^^

Thanks for organising it and would do it all again to raise some money.Great fun for a great charity.

I've really enjoyed all the Passarounds and trying watches I wouldn't necessarily have previously looked at although I can appreciate the hard work organising it and how anyone would get tired of doing it. However, I think Terry has done a brilliant job and should he want to eventually do another one I'd gladly take part again. Well done for doing them and I'm glad charity also benefited from some of us having great fun.

I would offer that considering the challenges to the whole scheme of everyone sticking to the rules must make it quite a stressful project, but so worthwhile and I enjoyed the variety and ease which we have been able to contribute to this cause.

For my part in the overall progress:
    I passed on 2 of the watches the same day I got them as they both landed with me within 48hrs of me being abroad for my expected time with them,

I cannot for the life of me remember seeing the Void at all and the 1st one I got I had 3 weeks and never wore it because I didn't read the rules properly and thought I had a month and the strap was too short,

But don't get me wrong, I am pleased to have taken part and do hope I win one of them as I will be auctioning it on the SC for more money for Macmillan as that organisation deserves every penny it gets,

Well done Terry and thank you for enabling me to contribute in this small but pleasurable way.

I like this idea. I'll register my interest now.

Master

Draw results

At long last, this, the 3rd mega passaround has come to an end, well just about. The draw took place today using Random.Org. A colleague did the draw and a copy of the numbers generated in the sequence generated was sent to everyone by email. The results were as follows:

Seiko goes to Pete Gower
    Seagull goes to Darren Humphrey
    Bulova goes to Andrew Emerson
    Void goes to Simon Taylor

It's taken a while to complete this passaround, 18 months to be precise, but hopefully everyone had some fun and got to try some watches they would otherwise have never given a second glance. More important of course is the money raised for macMillan Cancer Support, so a big thank you to all for supporting such a good cause.

Till next time.

Terry

Great stuff Terry

And congratulations to the lucky winners too!

Ian

Congratulations to all the winners and thanks to Terry for organising the event.

I'd just like to ask what happened to the Bulova as it never came to me?

Master
    The Bulova is still doing the rounds apparently so I expect you will get it soon.

Thanks Terry that was a bit of fun and for a good cause. Only the Seagull really floated my boat but it was fun to see the other watches

Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post
    The Bulova is still doing the rounds apparently so I expect you will get it soon.

Thanks Terry that was a bit of fun and for a good cause. Only the Seagull really floated my boat but it was fun to see the other watches
    Thanks. It was only curiosity really as I'm not short of watches to wear!

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to Terry for organising. Here's to the next pass around.