closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best money you've ever spent

Master
    Blog Entries
    Private medical treatment, but in a cheerier way the iPad - changed my day to day work and play life completely.

Nothing ground breaking, Nespresso machine.

Recent purchase, but i absolutely love it, and keep telling people about it.

Master
    The £8.99 on the Rat King (teenage mutant ninja turtle figure) a few weeks ago.

The look on my little lad's face and the pleasure given = priceless.

Bikes

Definitely

Money spent on bikes and as a result racing... (Maybe the other way round)

Travelled all over, and met many fantastic people.

Last edited by Barry; 5th December 2013 at 01:49.

A fair amount on Petrol has been the most exhilarating money spent over the years ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by scrog10 View Post
    Could be this. Depreciation free great looking fantastic sounding motorcycling history.

Lovely. Why spoil this depreciation free great looking fantastic sounding motorcycle history with a picture of a Harley Davidson?

:o

Coat! :D:D:D;)

Master
    The Breitling 806 purchased new in 1965/66 for £57. But my most recent, an as new " British Warm" made by Gieves and Hawkes, list around £1500/2000 for £19.50 off EBay.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    The Breitling 806 purchased new in 1965/66 for £57. But my most recent, an as new " British Warm" made by Gieves and Hawkes, list around £1500/2000 for £19.50 off EBay.
    Now that's an outstanding bargain!

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Some sexy underwear for my wife that lead to the creation of my daughter

:-)

Bought a ten year old Lambretta Li in the seventies for £50 had a few good years fun with that, most successful gamble was my house, bought it in a price boom and was worried about negative equity, now I could not get a studio flat for the price. Most recent is a gadget which improves the sound quality of my digital music, not being someone who is very technical I think its black magic.
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/12...-rblink-review

Journeyman
    £199 on a new lazer printer/copier. My future wife and mother of my child was the clerk helping me at PC world. The printer was to to print out and copy the divorce papers of my previous marriage.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    Some sexy underwear for my wife that lead to the creation of my daughter

:-)
    Your daughter is made out of knickers and battle gear?
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Master
    Interesting how a 'best use of money' for some is making money - seems pointless to me unless you use it.................... there are plenty of unfulfilled miserable bitter people out there with shed loads of money - just sayin'

My best use is travel - provides education (people/geography/cultures/history), perspective and life affirmation. We're all just passing through this world.

PS A Nespresso machine is a close runner up - most of my friends/relatives now have them (courtesy of me - I can't visit unless they can feed me my favourite coffee).

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Interesting how a 'best use of money' for some is making money - seems pointless to me unless you use it.................... there are plenty of unfulfilled miserable bitter people out there with shed loads of money - just sayin'

My best use is travel - provides education (people/geography/cultures/history), perspective and life affirmation. We're all just passing through this world.

PS A Nespresso machine is a close runner up - most of my friends/relatives now have them (courtesy of me - I can't visit unless they can feed me my favourite coffee).

Best use of money is a Nespresso machine and you cannot visit unless they have one??? - seriously!!

WOW!! Just wow!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Paying for the spots on the UN convoy bus to take my mom, sister and me out of a war, through enemy territory, and into (eventually) the life I have now. It was somewhere around $300, which at the time (mid 90's) was almost impossible to find, but it saved our lives.
    While all the rest waffle on about belongings . My heart just realised the truth in the world we live in ....

The worst monetary situation in my life forced me to have a coffee with my present wife and having also two wonderfull kids later on
    That Starbucks coffee i was forced to have was the best money i spent in my whole life

I can't think of a money best spent time for me, if it's spent then it's all well spent (except for paying taxes and fines if course) but I'm hoping that the money I'm spending to help my daughter through university will ultimately be the most beneficial!

Blog Entries
    5 grand increase on my 'final cash offer' on our dream house last year. Entirely out of patience with the procrastinating sellers, I told their agent "They have three hours to accept this very final offer or they can stick their house up their arses and we will buy elsewhere"!

They accepted! (I would have been in a world of shit with SWMBO if they had told me to get lost!)

A glass of wine I bought Liz when I chatted her up..... it's 10 years yesterday since and she's beautiful in all ways Aww how soppy!

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post

We had one, and then switched to Tassimo.

Now at least a dozen friends have bought a Tassimo as a result of trying ours...

It may be the best kitchen gadget ever, possibly trumping my Icecube maker earlier in this thread, but it's a close thing...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey View Post
    Your daughter is made out of knickers and battle gear?
    That's stretching things a bit.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Best use of money is a Nespresso machine and you cannot visit unless they have one??? - seriously!!

WOW!! Just wow!
    He's obviously George Clooney!

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    If not my house or car, definitely my coffee machine!

Master
    Leatherman Micra keyring multi-tool. I bought it 14 years ago on holiday and it has been with me everywhere since then. Unique in having a decent sized pair of strong scissors as its main tool, which is often more useful than a blade.

A Rohan WindShadow ultra-lightweight jacket I bought a few years ago which has been everywhere along with a Jack Wolkskin folding baseball cap which lives in the pocket – together they cover most weather conditions and pack down to nothing.

A Tumi T-Tech messenger bag which I paid quite a lot of money for about 8 years ago and since then it has been thrown around for work and on holiday year in and year aout and somehow it doesn’t actually have any signs of wear. It really is astonishingly tough and durable.

Walking past Timberland earlier this year I saw the half price sale and bought a pair of their boat shoes for £60 and they subsequently did sterling service, sans socks, during the heatwave this summer.

Apropos Ice Cubes ... bought some of these a while back and , well, they just work !!! Highly recommended if you have neither the budget nor inclination for an ice-making machine :)

Bose Quiet Comfort 15 headphones – not cheap, but they bring genuine peace and quiet to railway journeys and long haul travel.

Google Nexus 7 tablet – great screen, powerfull and really quite a bargain.

My girlfriend says its the flat she bought for her mother.

I feel stupid having posted this.

About 6 quid on araldite. A certain city council in the east midlands did not feel the same way when inspecting the coin slots on their parking meters shortly afterwards.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    My Shure SE535s... protects me from all the inane ramblings at work.

Hardly a life-changer, but very definitely value for money.
    Yep don't leave home without them !

Master
    Magimix mixer. I cant believe how i lived without it. Now I can mix frozen fruits and protein powder and make an awesome post work out shake so easily. Best £100 i spent!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

WOW!! Just wow!
    Agreed I bought the nespresso at the same time as my mixer and its an awesome thing.

Master
    a hot tub, someone in the family uses it everyday and its great to sit with wife/kids and stare at the stars (even when its raining) I think is the best when there is snow on the ground and your up to your nose in steaming hot water (imagine the japanese hot springs with a balding macaque!)

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...ed=0CDMQ9QEwAQ (thats me)

its a 'soft tub' and only runs off regular mains (uses the same leccy as a fish pond pump, its the heat off the pump that heats the water - rather than a heater)

http://www.softubuk.com/hot-tubs-uk

best thing for getting the family together to talk and wind down after long days...

My divorce was expensive, but worth every penny.
    It was my own fault, I should never have married her. The daft thing is I knew it on the day and I still went through with it!
    Lots of money to get out of it, but so relieved when I was free again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    a hot tub...steaming hot water (imagine the japanese hot springs with a balding macaque!)
    I'd be careful - that's beginning to sound like you're straying into Alex territory.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Everything I saved and repaid in the past so I can now live free of debt in a house that is my (our) own, not owned by a bank.
    If we are talking about more manageable stuff, I'd say the modest investment in my two Gransfors Bruks axes a few years ago was money very well spent. The wood chopped and split with them keeps that wholly-owned house warm. And they are the ultimate functional tools. Along with my classic hammer and my pocket knife which I would probably have bought if it had not been a gift.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Picasso View Post
    Nothing ground breaking, Nespresso machine.

Recent purchase, but i absolutely love it, and keep telling people about it.
    Rice cooker ... bought on the trip to Japan. It was a pain to take it back but return flight was on Sunday and nearest seat in the business class was free.
    Cost £150, couldn't buy decent in UK but now I can't imagine life without that.

Some great posts in here. :-)

Mine would be the laser eye surgery.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

[/QUOTE]

It has to be the £13.99 a month I spend on the internet because without it I wouldn't of found this amazing book
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 6th December 2013 at 23:57.

That 20 quid pump.. Hang on a sec
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

A couple grand on a quality foam mattress. It saved my back.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Some great posts in here. :-)

Mine would be the laser eye surgery.

R
    Same here. Laser eye surgery 5 weeks ago. Life changing!

Quote Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
    Same here. Laser eye surgery 5 weeks ago. Life changing!
    Me too, ever since I had lasers fitted into my eyes I get to the front of queues much faster.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

My Daughter Macy, she costs a fortune but worth every penny to just have a conversation with her every day!

Also, the Christmas Laser Light I bought in the local garden centre the other day

Craftsman
    My 15inch Apple MacBook Pro which i use every day and really is a joy to behold .

Master
    I've been reminded of my years of back problems. The money I spent on a fabulous chiropractor has been worth every penny and to be honest i would have paid thousands.

Craftsman
    Five figure sum and trip to Berlin for surgery to cure migraines. Three months and not a single one since - almost daily before. Life changing. Worth another zero on the price.

Passing my Motorcycle licence and after years of wondering what a track day would be like on my 996sps finally did it last year ,Oh my god ,if you like bikes then I urge you to ride a Ducati at the limit of your ability on a safe track !!!!

Journeyman
    My Doberman...every day brings happiness, joy and laughs with him. Adorable, loyal, protective and a true friend who never lets me down and is always there at the door when I arrive and always sad when I leave. £750 in 2008....best investment I ever made.

I love my watches ( and I have spent far too much on them over the years) but not a patch....!

Classic Braun alarm clock. Voice control model

Purchased for about £20 when I was at university in 1987. Could never wake up.... Clock still going strong and used to wake me up every work day over 25 years later

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    a pair of Barkers of Earls Barton hand made shoes, cost me £10 on ebay as new unworn. They really show up the rest of my shoe collection for what they are, i've never come across a pair of shoes this comfortable before.....
    On the back of this I have just won some for the princely sum of £10.50.

As for money well spent - hopefully the incoming shoes, but in no particular order....

Hot tub.

My daughters education.

Out of court settlement with my ex with no solicitor involvement.

My Porsche Cayman S

Lots of travel.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

At the risk of sounding somewhat trite, some of the best value-for-money I’ve spent has been filling the motorbike tank. Many, many good memories of experiences that came as a result of doing so.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Another one for the iPad. I use it every day at home and work. I'm typing this on it, it's changed the way I surf the net. I'm also reading a lot more now that I have it