closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watches and other hobbies like airguns...

Craftsman

Watches and other hobbies like airguns...

I have come across this shooting video on youtoube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZx0-bW-qw

I like airguns and watches and the IWC looks so right there… impressive shooting too!

I like spring powered air rifles and mechanical watches and collect/use both. I notice that air rifles quite often appear on SC too, so is it common that people like watches and guns?

Watches and cars/bikes is another… Watches and flying…

Any more hobbies associated with watches?

Blog Entries
    Watches and enbroidery?

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I've successfully sublimated much of my desire for watches into fountain pens. They're my wristwatch methodone.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I've successfully sublimated much of my desire for watches into fountain pens. They're my wristwatch methodone.
    I think many people who like watches also appreciate and use fountain pens Wol.

They are very similar in that they are two quality personal items that can be carried about you at all times.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    An old friend of mine used to reckon it was the three "C s" cars, clocks and cameras. I always reckoned it should have been four. However it was a long time ago and for the life of me can't remember the fourth.

I think its a love of the mechanical - I collect watches and enjoy shooting so own a few guns (one springer, one pre charged & one shot gun for clays). Always interested in other peoples collections (almost) regardless of what the collection is.

Can't beat a good fountain pen, although for everyday office use its got to be a rotring!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    An old friend of mine used to reckon it was the three "C s" cars, clocks and cameras. I always reckoned it should have been four. However it was a long time ago and for the life of me can't remember the fourth.
    Cornettos?

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    I have come across this shooting video on youtoube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZx0-bW-qw

I like airguns and watches and the IWC looks so right there… impressive shooting too!

I like spring powered air rifles and mechanical watches and collect/use both. I notice that air rifles quite often appear on SC too, so is it common that people like watches and guns?

Watches and cars/bikes is another… Watches and flying…

Any more hobbies associated with watches?
    Straight razor shaving for me, among the other hobbies.
    This one (str8 razor shaving) IMHO falls into the same category as watches - quality of little things that can upgrade one's daily routine.

We could be friends!! I love my springers too and I work on them all (AA Prosport, TX200, HW97K, HW80K, HW95, HW77) making them easier/smoother to shoot while reducing the recoil and keeping them at a legal sub 12ftlb, I also like restoring stocks.

Thing is I have always liked to tinker with mechanical objects and the next logical step for me is to buy a project watch and some tools and start playing with that.

Here is a Air Arms TX200 that I bought for £120 in a rough state but shoots stunning now and looks a great too -

Before

After

Diving obviously

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Watches and enbroidery?

Daddel.
    I guess you mean embroidery? Dutch are famous in that kind of thing, windmills and stuff...

You had me in stitches for a minute ;-)

Craftsman
    murkeywaters, I do like that TX. I agree that it might be something to do with liking mechanical objects...

My kind of thing is the Whiscombe, it's like a Patek of spring powered air rifles...

Are you on the AirguBBS? I go by the same nick on there.
    Last edited by nurek; 4th December 2013 at 21:29.

Fox:

Rabbit:

Deer:

And I make these:

Cameras, definitely. Knives a bit. Cars and, for a few years, motorbikes. Anything that has web forums where I can waste time and money.

Four C's: Clocks, Cars, Cameras & Cutlery

Very nice blades Paul. Do you do your own hardening?

Craftsman
    More into tech so I own a daystate mk4 IS St ,
    I did own a hw77 before though :-)

Master
    Countdown?

Definitely some recurrent themes on here....

For me

I love motorbikes (had one since I was 10)
    My crap pictures belies my interest in photography
    I have a HW45 kicking around somewhere, (which i'm a bit worried to use these days due to public gun opinion)

Haven't done the pen thing (yet)

Master
    Watches, cars, motorbikes, IT, sports gear, all audio-video kit, guns, pens, shoes, cameras, gadgets, alcohol, clothes.......

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    Definitely some recurrent themes on here....

For me

I love motorbikes (had one since I was 10)
    My crap pictures belies my interest in photography
    I have a HW45 kicking around somewhere, (which i'm a bit worried to use these days due to public gun opinion)

Haven't done the pen thing (yet)
    So not only do you show me your nice watches at the meet but now you tell me you have a hw45, .22 or .177? always fancied one but have always opted for the rifle, I always go to a range as wielding a gun around these days in public is not the best option...let me know if you fancy going shooting one day, I'll lend you a gun you lend me your Sub!!!!

Craftsman
    Watches and guitars. Have come across lots of musos into the hobby. Aesthetic form, and fine craftsmanship . Always wear a watch when playing.

Motorbikes (restored XT500 and I've just finished building SM wheels for my TT600R)

Cars (1964 Cal Look VW Beetle, all mods done by me, 100hp at the wheels)

Knives (I have a few...)

Guitars (I have an electric, an acoustic and a bass)

Computer music (home recording)

Banjo-ukes (restoring and playing)

Radio control car racing (1:10 scale touring cars)

Air soft pistols (for plinking in the workshop when I get bored)

Reading 2000AD (had a subscription for twenty-odd years)

Drinking beer (I live with my mother-in-law...)

I've got no interest in fountain pens whatsoever

Jim

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Airguns are a huge father & son hobby here, just like watches, so yes watches and airguns definitely are an important hobby combination.

Though the father and son thing has THE higher priority, I list dating higher as a direct watch-combo thing: I love dating interesting women and play my own watch game matching it to the occasion. I don't it makes any difference apart from as an accessory but I like the game.
    My choice is thus watches & dating as my preferred hobby-combo.

Master
    I target shoot as well but handguns. Here is my latest purchase I picked this up the day before Thanksgiving it's a Smith & Wesson nickel plated Combat Magnum. The pictures are the sellers but it is as bright and shiny as it looks. Haven't had a chance too shoot between work and family but hopefully by this weekend.

:lol:

The typical ones seem to be cars (plus trains and planes if engineering is the common theme), pens, and finer drink.

Apprentice
    I love watches and airguns also 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    Four C's: Clocks, Cars, Cameras & Cutlery

Very nice blades Paul. Do you do your own hardening?
    I do all of it, and the leatherwork. I use coke, and gas forges and electric and gas furnaces

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I think many people who like watches also appreciate and use fountain pens Wol.
    Funny that; I do use two regularly but am totally indifferent about them.

I used to be life-style hands-on into motorcycles and cars and racing them. Regulations have killed that off. The technology is no fun anymore as the emphasis of it is on all sorts of non-functional criteria.
    A thing like the modern piëzo electric injector still amazes me but I have lost interest in the applications; the vehicles, as those are overweight, overluxury, politically correct technical castrates.

Ditto knives ang longblades. I have some historic ones, even an authentic tao-ists seven star laminated ´scolar´ jian, but again the law is bearing down on the fun of it, basically prohibiting the lot.

The law bearing down on just about everthing fun in the process of controlling the populus, extracting the most money from them is a large reason why I have my dating hobby. It is totally free of any legal limitations and a finger to the state/industry promoted social conventions too; scréw them! Very satisfactory.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    (which i'm a bit worried to use these days due to public gun opinion)
    ´Good´ example of the State establishing public opinion to pass/enforce whichever law to control that same public.
    Cars, motorbikes, airguns, pocket knives, multi-tools, you name it and the fun is regulated out of it under the pretence of public safety.
    Fountain pens we are allowed... That is as long as they cannot póssibly be considered useable as stabbers/punches.

All you polymaths!

I can only manage one obsession/distraction at a time - I must be a slow burn.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I can only manage one obsession/distraction at a time - I must be a slow burn.
    The bright side of that is that you will still be quietly lost in enjoying your caramel fudge when we are anxiously looking for the next satisfaction or still stunned by the awful combination with pistachio...

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    The bright side of that is that you will still be quietly lost in enjoying your caramel fudge when we are anxiously looking for the next satisfaction or still stunned by the awful combination with pistachio...
    I once heard that the average lifespan of a sled dog is 14 years, but that of a lead dog is 12 years. Apparently the lower lifespan is due to the stress of leadership.
    It's not for me, the cutting edge...still, I suppose there are certain advantages.

´Good´ example of the State establishing public opinion to pass/enforce whichever law to control that same public.
    Cars, motorbikes, airguns, pocket knives, multi-tools, you name it and the fun is regulated out of it under the pretence of public safety.
    Fountain pens we are allowed... That is as long as they cannot póssibly be considered useable as stabbers/punches.
    Knives are designed to cut and stab, guns to kill (not air-guns, they barely dent paper), where's the fun?

The law bearing down on just about everthing fun in the process of controlling the populus, extracting the most money from them is a large reason why I have my dating hobby. It is totally free of any legal limitations and a finger to the state/industry promoted social conventions too; scréw them! Very satisfactory.
    Surely there must be the legal limitation of minimum age in this dating 'hobby' of yours?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Knives are designed to cut and stab, guns to kill (not air-guns, they barely dent paper), where's the fun?
    I didn't expect for this to get political :)

Watches and politics?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Surely there must be the legal limitation of minimum age in this dating 'hobby' of yours?
    I am referring to woman, meaning adult.
    No need for brackets btw as it is indeed a hobby.

Watches and politics?
    Not really political though is it? I just stated what they are designed for, the politics comes in when we the people decide for them the people what anyone is allowed to do with such items. (that one I ain't toughing) :)

As to watches. They are already involved in business, some companies are treated almost like religion by some, we've all seen plenty of 'word-wars' so why not politics?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You do realise that airguns in the UK are very much restricted because the are móre of a risk to the State than the loudly banging chemical burners? Have look at the restrictions on silencers too, even on the restricted airguns!

Knives are tools. My gf is using a whole assortment of them right now as she is baking goodies for an artesenal market this sunday.
    They can álso be used to inflict bodil harm just like a hammer or a

I am referring to woman, meaning adult.
    No need for brackets btw as it is indeed a hobby.
    Glad to hear it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Watches and politics?
    Have look at the 1963 thread and you will see objections to the red ´commie´ star.
    Ditto just about any topic about soviet watches and if you are a good reader you will find it as undertow in topics about the western space watches too.
    And don´t start on military watches whether wartime or other as that is as politically infused as it gets.

The watch hobby is very much about statements and associations, perceived ´heritage´ and marketing. There is no avoiding a wide range of political angles.

Imo watches & dating is as neutral a combo as it legally and politically gets.

You do realise that airguns in the UK are very much restricted because the are móre of a risk to the State than the loudly banging chemical burners? Have look at the restrictions on silencers too, even on the restricted airguns!

Knives are tools. My gf is using a whole assortment of them right now as she is baking goodies for an artesenal market this sunday.
    They can álso be used to inflict bodil harm just like a hammer or a
    Knives are tools you are correct and as stated they are designed to stab and/or cut that's their job. But how is a knife, an instrument designed to inflict damage, fun?
    Guns are tools too, designed to kill that's their job, therefore same question how is a gun fun?

The hammer argument doesn't hold I'm afraid as anything can be used as a weapon, but a hammer is not designed to be a weapon

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Glad to hear it.
    I had already unabiguously written ´women´ earlier.
    Your response is an illustration of what in our society is bearing down on bona fide fun

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Knives are tools you are correct and as stated they are designed to stab and/or cut that's their job. But how is a knife, an instrument designed to inflict damage, fun?
    Guns are tools too, designed to kill that's their job, therefore same question how is a gun fun?

The hammer argument doesn't hold I'm afraid as anything can be used as a weapon, but a hammer is not designed to be a weapon
    This is not a clearcut discussion as a gun is also a tool for getting food on the table and contrary to popular belief a hammer was thé arm when knight rode in armour.
    Functionally a blowpipe, gun, bow and arrow, darts, an axe or hammer are the same.
    They are tools, sports equipment, toys or arms depending on their úse!
    The rest is semantics and politics.

Your reasoning is again illustrating how the public opinion is muddled/influenced/manipulated/directed by media distortions and politics.

Hmm... wait a minute. What about an attack woman, a ´Nikita´....

Nah seriously.
    Imo the fun is seriously castrated by political correctness as is illustrated by forum member not daring to use their legal popper in their back garden.

Hail watches & dating!

Watches and other hobbies like airguns...

This is one of the most ill-advised, poorly thought out posts I've seen in recent times. It's a study in "don't do this at home kids".

Rob, just because you have moronic opinions doesn't mean you have to share them, this comment is truly infantile and you should be ashamed of yourself!

As an aside, knives are mankinds oldest tools and a bushcrafters primary TOOL. Don't bother replying to this post as your remark is truly indefensible. Now would be a good time to bow out.
    Last edited by Paul J; 5th December 2013 at 13:34.

Neither are most knives in existence and killing is a necessary occupation for any meat eater. Are you really so weak minded that you think you have a sensible argument here? In which case we're talking about a totally different kind of Tool....

My workplace is located in a troubled and frequently intimidating urban area and from this perspective I do in principle welcome restrictions upon the carrying of knives and guns. In the course of my work however I carry a knife myself and I am certain that no amount of legislation will prevent knives and guns being readily available to nefarious others.
    From the perspective of rural Cumbria or indeed Southern Spain I can quite understand the legitimacy of a different perspective again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    Neither are most knives in existence and killing is a necessary occupation for any meat eater. Are you really so weak minded that you think you have a sensible argument here? In which case we're talking about a totally different kind of Tool....
    Why thank you for the personal insult, was there any real need for that? If you can't argue the subject and have to result in childish behaviour, maybe you shouldn't post at all?
    Last edited by rob-vicar; 5th December 2013 at 13:39.

Section 139 of the criminal justice act covers knife carry in the Uk and remains essentially unchanged in a very long time.

Why thank you for the personal insult, was there any real need for that? If you can't argue the subject and have to result in childish behaviour, maybe you should post at all?
    Carefully read your post to yourself (I suggest a quiet room) and then point that sanctimonious finger at yourself.

Think for a minute how many people you've just insulted by spouting your ill-conceived nonsense. In posting such, you have singled yourself out as an individual who opinion I could care less about, but not much...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    This is one of the most ill-advised, poorly thought out posts I've seen in recent times. It's a study in "don't do this at home kids".

Rob, just because you have moronic opinions doesn't mean you have to share them, this comment is truly infantile and you should be ashamed of yourself!

As an aside, knives are mankinds oldest tools and a bushcrafters primary TOOL. Don't bother replying to this post as your remark is truly indefensible. Now would be a good time to bow out.
    Don't get me wrong, may be I haven't been too clear in my POV. The pass times of, for example, knife throwing, clay pigeon shooting can be fun, for which these tools are required.
    Other endeavours such as hunting or fishing for food the gun and knife are essential tools for the job.

But,how is a knife or gun, fun? As in the object itself?
    Last edited by rob-vicar; 5th December 2013 at 13:49.