closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Please choose your dial preference

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dial A - (PRS-17C style)

47 75.81%
  • Dial B - (PRS-17A/Q style w/o numbers)

8 12.90%
  • Dial C - (PRS-17A/Q style with numbers)

7 11.29%

Thread: Mission Timer Basic Dial Design

Mission Timer Basic Dial Design

As this appears to have got some interest, can we try to narrow things down a bit?

Starting with the dial, please choose a, b or c.

No comments about date/no date/colours etc please for now just the basic style of dial.

A

B

C

Master
    I voted 1 but they all look good :lol:

D

No circled L.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Hi all

"A" seems to work best through my eyes...

Thanks
    deano

The only question I have about design "A" is why have minute markers for the first 20 minutes on a 12 hour bezel? There may be a good reason but I can't think of one. Surely the main purpose of a 12 hour bezel is to display the time in a second timezone and I'm not aware of any timezone measured in 12 minute intervals or multiples thereof.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    I go for number 1 - by far the least cluttered and most easily readable IMHO.

I know it is slightly inappropriate for a 12 hour bezel to have any minute markings - but I think the hybrid design is useful: let's say I'm measuring something that goes in 3 minute stages. I usually expect to measure one or two of these intervals, easy enough with the minute counter. But let's say I need to increase the number of stages and restart my 3 minute intervals from say 6 minutes from the start - I could use the bezel to mark the new starting point at 6 minutes by the minute counter, as it is easy to forget when the new start was. If you know what I mean. I know this is a very specific use, but it is actually one that I could do with! And of course the time-zone functionality is always there too, and as you say a pure dive bezel is not appropriate for the watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    The only question I have about design "A" is why have minute markers for the first 20 minutes on a 12 hour bezel? There may be a good reason but I can't think of one. Surely the main purpose of a 12 hour bezel is to display the time in a second timezone and I'm not aware of any timezone measured in 12 minute intervals or multiples thereof.Eddie
    I distinctly remember discussing this very issue with Crusader a while back, but I can't find the thread right now. He had a good and historically accurate rationale for that kind of bezel.

Calling Crusader??

Guntram

The only question I have about design "A" is why have minute markers for the first 20 minutes on a 12 hour bezel? ..

Eddie
    I don't think there should be minute markers.

john

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    The only question I have about design "A" is why have minute markers for the first 20 minutes on a 12 hour bezel? ..

Eddie
    I don't think there should be minute markers.

john
    Agree. No minute markers and loose the circle L and you've got a seriously cool watch!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS
    ........No minute markers and loose the circle L and you've got a seriously cool watch!

There's a bit more yellow on the shaft of the minute totaliser ... the logo needs to be lower.

john

The only reason to have the minutes marked would be if this was also a diver. That way you could still track short elapsed times (as in a deco or safety stop). I don't believe that applies here.

I voted for dial 1 and agree that the logo needs to be centered between the pinion and the 12 marker.

The 'circle L' retains a military flavor. It is called the Mission Timer :wink:

Craftsman
    A)

IMO I like it w/out the minute markers...

I have the 18-Q for diving=swimming :wink:

The L is fine, take it or leave it.

"PRS-17 Mission Timer" on the back would be bad ass!

Very exciting project!
    Michael :D

Master
    Voted A. Lose the circle L, IMO, just looks so much cleaner that way. Oops, and no minute markers. :)

Master
    Just out of curiosity, how would the chrono functions work on this for timing, i.e. elasped time for minutes? Might be a daft question, but I have never handled an EZM 1.

Craftsman
    All the dials seem to be upside down.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by scottee
    Just out of curiosity, how would the chrono functions work on this for timing, i.e. elasped time for minutes? Might be a daft question, but I have never handled an EZM 1.
    The start/stop would be on the bottom at 7, and the reset function at 10 o'clock. Presuming you wear it on your left wrist, you'd start and stop with your thumb, rather than your index finger.

Guntram

Master
    I' ve voted for "A". In my eyes the other two variations, although good, they look a bit cluttered.

:)

VA

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guntram
    The only question I have about design "A" is why have minute markers for the first 20 minutes on a 12 hour bezel? There may be a good reason but I can't think of one. Surely the main purpose of a 12 hour bezel is to display the time in a second timezone and I'm not aware of any timezone measured in 12 minute intervals or multiples thereof.Eddie
    I distinctly remember discussing this very issue with Crusader a while back, but I can't find the thread right now. He had a good and historically accurate rationale for that kind of bezel.

Calling Crusader??

Guntram
    The rationale behind the 12hour-cum-20-minute marks bezel (going back to the American Benrus Types I and II military watches) was that it was for watches that were described as both Navigator and dive watches (and the specs. to match 8) ). So the 20 minute ticks are for diving, the 12 hours for a second timezone.

Whether this particular combination is particularly attractive ... YMMV. Damasko are using 60 minute ticks on their 12h bezels. Personally, I would like to see an unnumbered, but symmetrically marked bezel that will permit both elapsed and countdown timing ... :D

BTW, version A has too little differentiation. :(
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    The rationale behind the 12hour-cum-20-minute marks bezel (going back to the American Benrus Types I and II military watches) was that it was for watches that were described as both Navigator and dive watches (and the specs. to match 8) ). So the 20 minute ticks are for diving, the 12 hours for a second timezone.
    I was thinking "Benrus", but wasn't sure if I remembered correctly... thanks a lot for the explanation!

Guntram

I haven't seen anything I'd be prepared to put money into yet.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    I haven't seen anything I'd be prepared to put money into yet.

Eddie
    In terms of these dial possibilities, or the whole concept of a lefty chrono using that case?

I'm quite happy with a lefty and the case but can't accomodate the vast dial options. A compromise wouldn't satisfy anybody so I think it needs to be a totally different dial.

Eddie

Master
    Ok, thanks Eddie.

can't accomodate the vast dial options
    Don't give us any :) :twisted:

Mmmm. Would those who voted for dials 2 or 3 still buy the watch if it had dial 1, I wonder.

BTW, version A has too little differentiation
    Differentiation from what, sorry?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Si
    BTW, version A has too little differentiation
    Differentiation from what, sorry?
    With no numerals (which serve for quick, sub-conscious recognition of the time e.g. on aviation watches), 12 nearly uniform indices do not aid the quick reading of time. If you consider the original EZM 1, it has pronounced markers at 3, 6 and 9, and a special marker at 12. I think the PRS-MT would need a similarly differentiated dial, if no numbers are used. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

As seems to be the general concensus, definitely A as the least cluttered and most legible.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjg01
    As seems to be the general concensus, definitely A as the least cluttered and most legible.
    Keep it simple. A is perfect - legible, functional and just works! No need to unnecessary cmplications. Just drop the Precista in between the 12 marker and pinion and you pretty much have it there.

Master

I did not vote for the winner

but would buy any of them so count me in.

Would prefer a dial with the 12 clearly marked as different

I'm afraid that I could not get on with any of the dial designs because there is no quick way of orientating the 12 position except in #3.

What might be worth looking at is a similar dial to the PRS-18 with a big triangle at 12, with or without numbers would be okay for me as long as the 12 position is clearly marked as different to the others.

Eldrich

Re: I did not vote for the winner

Quote Originally Posted by jtbold
    but would buy any of them so count me in.
    i agree but voted A anyway :D