closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Paper Shredders

Paper Shredders

Can anyone recommend a me paper shedder that is robust enough to be used in an office. I have one I use at home but after about 15/20 sheets it auto cuts out due to being too hot!!

Ideally to needs to have a big waste bin, cross cut and be quiet!!

Budget of about £100-£150

Pete

got a fellowes cross cut one from costco 3.5yrs ago - its been great - never cut out yet, deals with staples and does credit cards too!
    (not quiet tho)

I think if you're using it in an office (even a home one) you might need to consider something more industrial. My domestic one struggles with a few sheets a day.

Master
    We bought a staples own brand one for just under a ton for the office at work and it has been faultless shreds up to 12 sheets at a time and quiet in comparison to the previous two.

Master

...and recommendations for a domestic one?

...preferably in the under £50 bracket, for occasional shredding ???

I had a Rexel for many years (decades?) and it was good but finally gave up the ghost. I replaced it with a cheapy and that is pathetic (unsurprisingly).

Trouble is, all the reviews vary from it's pathetic to it's brilliant.
    So, any particular recommendations of one bought recently (because I'm sure all the brands have been through cost 'shredding' )

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    ...preferably in the under £50 bracket, for occasional shredding ???

I had a Rexel for many years (decades?) and it was good but finally gave up the ghost. I replaced it with a cheapy and that is pathetic (unsurprisingly).

Trouble is, all the reviews vary from it's pathetic to it's brilliant.
    So, any particular recommendations of one bought recently (because I'm sure all the brands have been through cost 'shredding' )
    Any 'home' one is pretty poor in my experience. I noticed what you did though that there's isn't one with consistent good reviews.

I bought a Fellowes one for ~£40 and it lasted about a week before burning out.

For an office one I think you'll have to pay several hundred for one rated for continuous use.

Master
    I use two:- a shop bought WHsmith cross cutter for the confidential stuff and a Rexel straight shredder (which I have had for years) for the mundane.

Never yet come across a quiet cross cutter.

Have you thought of outsourcing to a confidential shredding firm. I do for "big Jobs"

B

Master
    My Fellowes PS-67Cs Confetti shredder is pretty solid and doesn't cut out.
    Think I got from an Argos outlet on eBay for £40-50, but was a while ago, so maybe the next model on would be available.

Master
    The Fred Goodwin deluxe model is the one to go for.........

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    The Fred Goodwin deluxe model is the one to go for.........

My wife needs a reasonably robust shredder now that she’s working from home. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

No use for the office but last year I decided to dispose of 20+ years of paperwork in my attic, I bought a cheapish shredder and it was a total waste of time, REALLY rubbish, I then bought one of those small incinerators which basically are a galvanized dustbin with some air holes and a chimney, GREAT within a week a few black bags full of paperwork gone, no mess and to be honest I enjoyed stoking the bin :)

I expect the previous administration in the White House has some recommendations.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I’ve given up on shredders, if you live in the right kind of area for it, I have found a garden incinerator bin is the best £20 I have spent, plus a bit of Meths and a match.

My experience with home shredders similar to some above. Bought a Fellowes shredder - didn’t last long, terrible smell of motor burning out before it did.

Decent shredders meant for real office use aren’t cheap or particularly small.

Fellows, but you'll need to spend more than £150.

Swordfish Crosscut 1000XC. £150 down to £110 on Amazon. It probably does 300-400 sheets before it cuts out; thermal cut-out. Then it takes forever to cool down, and only once I have unpicked all of the chaff from around the cutters. I thought that if I spent a bit more that I would get a good one, but this is not as good as I expected. It is supposed to do up to 10 sheets at a time, but it really struggles so I shove less in. The incinerator bin sounds like a better idea with no electricity bill.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a me paper shedder that is robust enough to be used in an office. I have one I use at home but after about 15/20 sheets it auto cuts out due to being too hot!!

Ideally to needs to have a big waste bin, cross cut and be quiet!!

Budget of about £100-£150

Pete
    Buy two cheaper ones. Use the second while the first cools down and vice versa.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

For that price. Should be able to find one that shreds everything (staples, cd's and 5 sheets at a time).

I got a cheap one, so 2 sheets max.

Got any local big box office stores. Probably the best place to look

DON

You may want to consider this service as an alternative. I work from a small home office and it works really well as they come to you and destroy all of you confidential waste on site, issuing you with a certificate of disposal too.

https://www.shredit.co.uk/en-gb/our-...edding-service

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Coincidentally I have literally just bought one for shredding loads of stuff prior to a house move.

I bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IOFD08C

It has managed to shred 200 litres or so of paper (9 x 23 litre bags) in 3 days. It’s rated as 1 hour continuous before overheat protection kicks in but I’ve sat in front of it for 2 hours or more and it just keeps going.

I admit that 3 days doesn’t mean it will last forever but I’m impressed so far.

Cheers,

MarkC

I would up the budget because the 100 - 150 ones are toys in my experience.

try something more like this at least

Fellowes Powershred LX201

It all depends on volume. Intimus is unbeatable but if you only destroy a few sheets at a time then Fellowes, Amazon Basics, etc. are fine. I hope that it goes without saying that a shredder that doesn't crosscut is worthless. That thing in Argo really happened.

Whatever you do, follow the oiling routine (if not self-oiling) religiously. The correct method is to put the oil in a fold of a sheet of paper and feed that through. And accidental staples or paperclips can lead to big bills.

Paper shreds are great for adding to compost, especially if you have one of those Hotbins.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Find something like this on ebay
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ideal-Sci...oAAOSwmhFfsRcv

we have 2 one at work and one at home, neither cost more than 100 delivered. The use we put them to they will last forever as they are built for rather heavier stuff.