closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1971 Rolex Oysterdate

Craftsman

1971 Rolex Oysterdate

Hello all,

Im looking for a birthyear watch and have been mulling over one on Ebay. Its been on sale for a while I like the look of it but suspect its a parts drawer hybrid. I think I would be happy to pay a bit more for an original specimen...

Anyway the watch..

....and a link to the auction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-B...item19e4feee4e

How much under / over priced do you think it is? And what would I be looking to pay for an un molested 1971 explorer ( I know the watch above isnt an explorer).

Tia

Martyn...

Craftsman
    must admit this looks lovely... I'm waiting a few more years for my birth year watch... Most likely will be a Rolex too!

Real explorer I is much more expensive.

I seem to remember a company like this one a couple of years ago or so. Have a look at their other offerings, there's some odd looking dials on a lot of those watches. High contrast bleached out photographs too. I'd wait for a better example if I were you.

I think if you're going to do the birth-year thing (and I too have browsed for 1971 Rolexes!), you might as well go for something with an original dial, etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watkins101 View Post
    How much under / over priced do you think it is?

Martyn...
    I suppose one way to think of it is to ask how much you'd get for it on SC. I think you'd have trouble selling it at all, and you'd only be able to ask, what, £500 for it maybe. It's worth what the movement is worth (no pictures of that provided, I see) plus whatever you might get for the case (not much). As a whole, it's just... nothing.

Personally the weasel words alone would be enough to put me off doing business with them:

"The watch itself is 100% original guaranteed Rolex and the bracelet we have fitted is an aftermarket Rolex Oyster bracelet."

Hmmm. So what kind of bracelet is that exactly?

Craftsman
    Thank all, I guess I kinda knew the answer before I asked the question just wanted it reiterated.

I suppose the search continues... Just to decide what to get, a sub or an explorer.

I've looked at a lot of their Rolexes and I think most of them are repainted dials that never existed in the real world.

Blog Entries
    Ludgate Watches -- related to West Sussex Watches, possibly? Similar location as I recall and very similar products.

I'd provide a link to the discussion from 2010 about WSW on here but Eddie had to delete the thread after receiving an "intense" telephone call.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Ludgate Watches -- related to West Sussex Watches, possibly? Similar location as I recall and very similar products.

I'd provide a link to the discussion from 2010 about WSW on here but Eddie had to delete the thread after receiving an "intense" telephone call.
    I must admit, that's the name that crossed my mind. Looking back at the previous ebay names WSW isn't mentioned but they do have a remarkably similar photography technique, install similar non standard dials and use the same advertising spiel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    I must admit, that's the name that crossed my mind. Looking back at the previous ebay names WSW isn't mentioned but they do have a remarkably similar photography technique, install similar non standard dials and use the same advertising spiel.
    Yup.

For historical purposes I kept an archive of the original 2010 thread about WSW.

Craftsman
    I've done a little googleing about wsw and it does seem a little dejavu like. I'll give them a wide berth. I'm looking for a black dialled sub now I'm going to px my pam000 to help me get the right one. Thanks for your help every one.

I've done a little googleing about wsw and it does seem a little dejavu like. I'll give them a wide berth. I'm looking for a black dialled sub now I'm going to px my pam000 to help me get the right one. Thanks for your help every one.
    1971 is my birth year too (and I also live in Lincs). Hoppers in Boston have a lovely 1971 Sub which I drool at every time I walk past the window. Way out of my price range at £5200 though....

Mmm, I've been coming across these listings since I started my search for an Oysterdate of my own and I had no doubt most of their stuff were frankens. I'd keep looking. :)

Journeyman
    As said... these models are often franken in some way. Watch out and ask around before buying.

Regards,

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    1971 is my birth year too (and I also live in Lincs). Hoppers in Boston have a lovely 1971 Sub which I drool at every time I walk past the window. Way out of my price range at £5200 though....
    Ditto, I looking at about 3.5K max so I need to be lucky I suppose.

WSW crossed my mind the moment I saw the image.

That was an unpleasant episode.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    I have always wondered how these people get around Rolex they normaly jump all over anyone using their trademark.
    paul.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bandylegss View Post
    I have always wondered how these people get around Rolex they normaly jump all over anyone using their trademark.
    paul.
    Whatever Ludgate Watches (and WSW before them) are doing, they do not seem to be misusing Rolex's trademark. There is no suggestion that the watches are not genuine Rolexes; it's merely that have been refurbished.

Master
    I picked up this following post from a Rolex forum:
    http://50.30.45.116/showthread.php?p=4210102

"Anybody wishing to buy vintage watches from Ludgate watches should do a thorough google search incl:
    Ludgate watches
    West Sussex watches
    Jamie Thorpe

and then think very carefully ...."

I've had no personal experience but the people here seem to suggest you should give it a swerve.

SGR

Master

So the dials he sells are original which I take to mean factory original are not refurbished would that include thhe pink one the yellow one the purple one I could go on for ever. I find it strange that our host can not sell brand new original but they can sell their tat.
    paul.

Blog Entries
    So the dials he sells are original which I take to mean factory original are not refurbished
    No, the dials obviously did not leave the Rolex factory that way. As I clearly said, what Ludgate Watches sell is obviously refurbished (but nevertheless genuine). The thing to understand (regardless of anything else that Ludgate Watches or its apparent predecessor may be guilty of) is that this does not mean they are misusing Rolex's trademark.

I find it strange that our host can not sell brand new original but they can sell their tat.
    Do you mean "brand new original" Rolex? To the best of my knowledge Eddie has never tried to sell Rolex. What are you getting at?
    Last edited by markrlondon; 18th November 2013 at 15:48.

Blog Entries
    I find it strange that our host can not sell brand new original but they can sell their tat.
    paul.
    Do you mean "brand new original" Rolex? To the best of my knowledge Eddie has never tried to sell Rolex. What are you getting at?
    Are you referring to this: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...es-not-allowed ? If so, that prohibition does not have anything to do with Rolex trademarks. It was Eddie's choice to prevent sales of brand new Rolexes in SC because he doesn't allow dealers in SC. He explicitly confirmed that he had not received any threat from Rolex.

Master
    Yes I was I thought it was because of rolex had some input. I got it wrong I think that because of the history it would be wise to let this move down the page the last thing I would want is Eddie to get greif again.
    I think everone has a good idea on their tactics.
    all the best paul.

Craftsman
    so to summise... "leave well alone" would be the consensus of opinion.

Blog Entries
    so to summise... "leave well alone" would be the consensus of opinion.
    Correct.