closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What TV's and sound system have you got?

Journeyman

What TV's and sound system have you got?

What TV's and sound systems have you got?

I've just replaced a seriously old 40" back projecting Toshiba CRT TV and external speakers / sub. It was at least 12 years old and had Dolby 5.1 built in to it. I added a sub and 5 other speakers when I bought it new, so any replacement needed to include a reasonably good surround sound solution, without going too OTT.

I've spent a long time looking and have had these delivered, though I wish Panasonic had a 46" version of this TV instead of the 42" which then jumps to 50"...

TV: Panasonic Viera TXP42GT60B
    Receiver: Yamaha RXV675
    Speakers: Cambridge Audio Minx - Front & Rear's 4 x Min 11; Front Centre 1 x Min 21; Sub 1 x Min X-200

The TV was a breeze to setup and attach to my WiFi although I'm going to hard wire it to the router for better performance. I'm on Sky broadband, copper not cable/fibre, so would benefit from an upgrade to a faster line speed.

The Freeview people told me that we will need to re-tune on 26/11/2013. This will definitely affect the North West (Winter Hill), if not the whole country, as they are making a change on the 26th that will, next year, result in more HD channels appearing - hooray!

Samsung 48" with Bose 3 speaker system.

Sorry best pic I could take at 1.35 in the morning but I hope you get the idea

Master
    We have a small living room so out went the big, booming floor standers and in came a pair of lovely Spendor S3/5R2's powered by an Arcam amp, fed with lossless music stored on a hard driver via a stand alone DAC.

Craftsman
    Phillips 38" Ambilight with sound from a Linn Majik digital streamer/amo and Totem Hawk speakers. Currently thinking about how best to stream video from the NAS drive, not yet sure of the best way to set up the video side of things.

regards

grant

Panasonic P50GT50 plus Sonos Playbar. Might add a couple of Play 1s at some point. Don't think it really needs the Sonos Sub, the Playbar kicks out a fair bit of base.

Recently purchased samsung smart tv 40" and matching soundbar, which is great. Currys offer.

TV's a subject to personal preference IMO - I tend to like the Samsung "look" to the picture, although some find it a bit in-yer-face. I tend to turn the colour down a bit and turn off some of the electronic trickery, then it gives me a nice punchy picture.

I have the TV connected to a HTPC, so I can store/stream movies etc, and this has AE Aego speakers/subwoofer. It give a decent amount of bass, and decent sound quality, whilst still being compact and acceptable to the wife in the sitting room. I keep meaning to try a soundbar-type of setup, as this would also be within wife-acceptance parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post

This amount of visible cabling is simply unacceptable.

According to the 710.

Master
    It's one of my other interests so I've got a few but all from Sony or Samsung ranging from 17 inch through to 46 in the conservatory.

My most recent purchase for my bedroom was a Samsung Smart 40 inch LED which I have been really impressed with because of the internet connectivity, built in apps for BBC iplayer, etc and records straight to USB so no need for a recorder. It's connected to an old (in AV terms anyway) Onkyo 606 amp and 6 KEF eggs and sub and sounds great.

In my lounge I have a ceiling mounted Sony VW11 projector and a 6ft screen for main viewing and the sound is equally as big - 11 speakers (mainly Mission) and two subs - all driven by a Yamaha Z7 amp.

For normal TV I still have an old Sony CRT which I can't get round to chucking and at least it's wide enough for a lamp and a photo frame to sit on top!

I also have a very understanding wife!
    Last edited by GIB984; 14th November 2013 at 10:22.

Sony Bravia 40" with Arcam AV250 and Mission M Cubes. Amazing sound from such a small speaker package.

Banned
    Samsung Smart 3D with bose surround, rumble rumble thud.

TV: Samsung Slim LED

Sound system: 3 year old girl with no volume control.

Don't have a TV and don't like the way big plasmas take over the room (I tell a lie I actually have a 26" LED in storage somewhere). We have a HD projector under the sofa with content driven from a Windows 8 laptop and manipulation with a wireless mouse. Sound goes through a relatively old Denon amp and is provided by a pair of large Dynacord speakers that came out of a cinema in Cologne. I also have a pair of Mission desktop speakers on stands behind the sofa.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    This amount of visible cabling is simply unacceptable.

According to the 710.
    I'm sure the 710 will love this, mine does ;) though to be fair we will be installing a false panel soon to hide the cables....

Pany 55 plasma,
    Elipson planet speakers (L x 2, M x 3)
    B&W PV1D Sub
    LX-SC56 AVR
    Humax Fox PVR
    Sony Bluray
    Sonos connect

Master
    Sony Bravia 37'' lcd, hifi Arcam FMJ A28, P38, CD37, B&W CM9 speakers with good cabling/interconnects/power leads etc etc. Not keen on having speakers everywhere for surround sound, but I do run the tv through the hifi for movies/gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    but I do run the tv through the hifi for movies/gaming.
    Are your neighbours being treated for PTSD?

Master
    Panasonic 39" plasma, Yamaha RX-V667 amp and Boston Acoustic speakers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Are your neighbours being treated for PTSD?
    They might be on the 22nd once the Xbox One arrives

Master
    Something of a hobby for me:

Living Room:- Panasonic TW37 Plasma monitor, An old Sony AV amp, Sony PS3 with Play TV for Blu-ray & TV tuner duties (the TW37 doesn't have a tuner in it) & Tannoy 5.1 surround speakers.

AV Room:- Epson TW8100 projector, Yamaha RXA1010 AV AMP, Panasonic DMR-BWT735EB Blu-Ray/Twin tuner/recorder, NAIM Supernait to power the front L & R Channels. Linn Ninka speakers for front L & R, Linn AV5150 centre speaker, Linn Katans for side surround and Linn Uniks for rear surround. Ruark Logrythym subwoofer. Logitech squeezebox touch for streaming (hopefully replaced with a Naim NDX5 sometime soon...)

Watch a lot of movies so opted for the Philips 21:9 Ambilight TV 56in. Widescreen aspect of the TV means that there are no letterbox lines on films. The film fills the entire screen.

Matched with a Bose 3-2-1 system.

Samsung 55" Led TV

8ft Projection screen which drops down in front , Epson Tw3500 Projector.

Audio a Denon AVR 3313 Amp, powering Monitor Audio Ceiling speakers and a sub. A Mac mini running Plex provides all the media

I have the snappily titled samsung PS51F5500, which is a 51 inch 3d plasma. I have recently bought the Sonos Playbar, which is a great soundbar of you're looking for something without 5:1 ie speakers everywhere. It's all wireless and I use an iPad remote to control it all :)

Craftsman
    LG 47" LED & Bose 321.

Following some of Rod's recommendations on here I now have;

Panasonic VT50B 50" Plasma TV
    Yamaha RX-A1030 Aventage AV Amp
    Denon DBT-3313 Multi Region Blu Ray Player
    Sky HD 2TB Box
    Synology ds212j NAS

Tannoy Arena Speakers and Sub Woofer.

Needless to say, Film night in the Top Cat household is always fantastic!

Samsung 42inch lcd
    Nad pre/power amplification
    ATC SCM40

Loving the 4-way with a 3-way in the end of it.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    We have a small-ish room that we use for watching TV, so we have a Sony 37” TV which is connected directly to our home network via Ethernet cable.

It took a little while to find a suitable home cinema system to suit a smaller room, but in the end I got the Sony BDV-NF720 2.1 system which works great. The sound is very sweet and clear and is plenty audiophile enough for movies and casual music listening. The subwoofer and all the cables are carefully bundled out back of the TV and out of sight!

The home cinema and tv talk to each other via Sony’s Bravia Link system, so there is common functionality using either remote and shared volume, both on/off together etc. The TV and Home Theatre are also connected to our home network via their inbuilt Ethernet ports and are both able to stream pictures, music and videos from our network attached media drive.

Both the tv and Home Theatre have Sony’s x-bar on screen menu systems for searching the network attached media drive by album, artist, track etc and they work well.
    As they are both linked to the Wi-Fi router (which is also behind the TV) via the network, we can also beam pictures and music from the tablets or phones to the TV quite easily.

Last edited by Michael_Mcr; 14th November 2013 at 14:43.

Master
    42 Panasonic Plasma
    B&W 685s, 686s, HTM62, ASW608

Plan is to replace the TV with something 4K plus CM speaker set up... CM9s, CM5s, CM centre.

I have a just upgraded so a Samsung UE46F6670, which (I think) is an excellent TV.

I'm still running the Orbitsound T12 at the moment.

I nearly bought the Samsung HW-F571 to match the new TV. Perhaps I still will, and move the T12 up to the bedroom!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post
    We have a small-ish room that we use for watching TV, so we have a Sony 37” TV which is connected directly to our home network via Ethernet cable.

It took a little while to find a suitable home cinema system to suit a smaller room, but in the end I got the Sony BDV-NF720 2.1 system which works great. The sound is very sweet and clear and is plenty audiophile enough for movies and casual music listening. The subwoofer and all the cables are carefully bundled out back of the TV and out of sight!

The home cinema and tv talk to each other via Sony’s Bravia Link system, so there is common functionality using either remote and shared volume, both on/off together etc. The TV and Home Theatre are also connected to our home network via their inbuilt Ethernet ports and are both able to stream pictures, music and videos from our network attached media drive.

Both the tv and Home Theatre have Sony’s x-bar on screen menu systems for searching the network attached media drive by album, artist, track etc and they work well.
    As they are both linked to the Wi-Fi router (which is also behind the TV) via the network, we can also beam pictures and music from the tablets or phones to the TV quite easily.

And a Lava Lamp....!?!?!??!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS2113 View Post
    And a Lava Lamp....!?!?!??!!!
    Indeed - an original Mathmos one that is very old now !!

Master
    50" Samsung Plasma.
    PopcornHour A400 and Apple TV streaming from an 8Tb ReadyNAS Pro, Humax Hdr and Pioneer Blu Ray. All feeding in to a Pioneer SC LX receiver with Quad front speakers , Monitor Audio surrounds and a BK XXLS 400 subwoofer. It also feeds a second zone of outdoor speakers in the garden
    Last edited by Cynar; 14th November 2013 at 17:51.

Mostly vintage B&O:

6.1 system, cherry wood and black leather, custom made by "Aliante" a small family owned company in Italy that still hand made their speakers.

Journeyman
    Sony hx803 from a few years ago. Denon 2012 blu Ray Yamaha 771 av amp Cambridge audio minx 20 plus sub and Sonos with dacmagic

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Loving the 4-way with a 3-way in the end of it.

I thank you. used my electrician skills.unplugged the 3 way and threw the 4 way behind the set

Results

The fire safety officer would be proud.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bet the local cat burglars are loving this thread lol.

Master
    I thank you. used my electrician skills.unplugged the 3 way and threw the 4 way behind the set
    As my other half would say " I bet you didn't bother to dust behind the telly while you were at it ?"

:)

26" Bravia with a Marantz and Mission 5.1 setup.

I'm still using a CRT from back when I had an interest in home cinema in the early 00's, rarely watch TV or movies these days.

Panasonic TX36
    Denon DVD 28mkII (that will barely play any modern DVD's due to latest copyright protection, no fix from Denon despite it costing £750 new)
    Denon AVR 3803 receiver
    Tannoy MX3's, MX centre, Mission 77DS rears and Paradigm sub.

An old photo, but set-up is the same in the new house; still very capable of flapping the curtains for a ten year old set up. A new modern TV is on the cards for next year.

Samsung 42" Smart LED/3D. Panasonic 7:1 digital surround sound which is connected to the Panasonic Blue ray and a Samsung 3D player via digital sound cables. I haven't wired the TiVo box up to the surround sound as I don't want the wife listening to strictly come shitting in surround sound.

The tv's hard wired to the power line adaptor which runs roughly 58 meg from the router upstairs, the wireless capability of the telly was not allowing me to watch Lovefilm without constant buffering.

FFF

Banned
    Panasonic 50"
    Arcam DV79 DVD player
    Nakamichi AV10 receiver
    Xbox 360
    Apple TV
    Cambridge Audio iPod dock
    Tannoy speakers
    Chord Co. cables

Journeyman
    I have 32" Panasonic LCD tv and old Pioneer dvd-player. I don't really care much about the tv and stuff... but I love music very much.

My main audio gear consist:

USA made Ayre CX-7eMP cd-player
    Swedish made Bladelius Thor Mk III Traditional integrated amplifier
    Finnish made Forvoice 13.2 loudspeakers
    All with reasonable cabling from Cardas, Analysis Plus and Supra.

I just upgraded the main audio gear during this year and it's now a +8000£ set. I think it's fine now for 3-5 years to come... hopefully.

I have also old Technics turntable and phono pre-amp, old Pioneer double cassette deck and external Xindak digital to analog converter (=DAC).
    Last edited by opop; 15th November 2013 at 02:34.

Journeyman
    Double post

I've got a samsung ES8000, Bose Lifestyle and a Mac Mini HTPC running Plex, I LOVE my lounge!

when we bought our house and renovated it it was my "baby" and designed the whole room around it.

Craftsman
    Aton HDR44 distribution system fed from 2x Sky boxes and Sony Blu-Ray (with internet connection and Synology NAS drive).

This feeds the following ...

Upstairs Lounge - Samsung 55" TV + Epson Projector (8' screen), ceiling fitted 5 way speakers + REL sub (all powered by Onyko cinema amp).

Family room - 40" Sony Bravia TV

Kitchen - 32" Sony Bravia TV

Master Bedroom - 48" Samsung TV

Sons Bedroom - 32" Samsung TV

6 * Sonos music players (fed from NAS and iPad/iPhone devices) via Elan 12 channel amp to ceiling mount speakers in family room / kitchen / study / master bedroom / sons bedroom / upstairs lounge (from Onyko amp)

Primary Hi_Fi - Rega Appollo CD + Sonos Player > Cyrus DAC/XP+ > Cyrus Mono X > Revolver Music 5 Speakers

Master
    Used to have;

JVC HD1 1080p DILA projector
    panasonic 42PHD8 professional plasma monitor
    Anthony Gallo Nucleus micros and Sub in a 6.1 combination.
    Arcam AVR 350 surround reciever.
    Self built HTPC with calibration software.

Been into home cinema since about 1997. Have spent many thousands on it over the years. Don't regret a single penny.

Now have the same but the projector has gone and the plasma is now a 46GT30 for ease of use by the wife and kids as I'm often away from home.

Had a plan to build a home cinema garden room but I can't justify it as I'm never at home. Nowadays its a macbook pro , a soundmatters foxl V2 or a pair of shure SE535 headphones.

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma, bought it 5 years ago and still couldn't really fault it. Great picture, especially the contrast. It doesn't have any of the latest bells and whistles (3D, smart TV, etc) but I'm not bothered by any of those. Have an Apple TV (used mostly for Netflix) and a Humax Freeview recorder plugged into it, the latter being upgraded to a YouView box later this month. The only thing I'd change is the number of HDMI inputs, which at 3 is a couple lower than ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Had a plan to build a home cinema garden room but I can't justify it as I'm never at home.
    You should do that. During the summer we set up a Freiluftkino in a friends's garden. Sheets strung over some twine and an old video projector and some older computer speakers; their kids loved it and, to be honest, so did the parents. There are a few open air cinemas in Berlin over the summer but we've never got around to going to one; it was rather nice to have our own.