closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on selling a wedding ring...

Craftsman

Advice on selling a wedding ring...

Hi guys,

I'm sure there are a lot of fellas who have been through the old divorce slog but wondered what the best way has been to get as much for the wedding ring as possible. My scenario is that the ring was made by a jeweler friend in 2007 and is a VERY chunky 27 gram band of platinum and was valued back then at £3100. I have trawled lots of scrap sites for best price and at the mo its just shy of £700. Any advice or experience would be really appreciated as my garage roof needs fixing and my fence is also falling down lol

Cheers,

Kev
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Afx View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm sure there are a lot of fellas who have been through the old divorce slog but wondered what the best way has been to get as much for the wedding ring as possible. My scenario is that the ring was made by a jeweler friend in 2007 and is a VERY chunky 27 gram band of platinum and was valued back then at £3100. I have trawled lots of scrap sites for best price and at the mo its just shy of £700. Any advice or experience would be really appreciated as my garage roof needs fixing and my fence is also falling down lol

Cheers,

Kev
    Pm kevkojak he has a jeweller shop and will be able to arise you I would think!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Cheers!

Looks like selling it as a ring rather than scrap is the way... and presumably private sale would be better than to a jeweller!

Journeyman
    how about SC?

If it's a nice commercial piece then don't scrap it. Stick it on eBay starting from 0.99p and you should get scrap and then some.

That's how I sold my missus engagement ring when she upgraded.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the advice fellas... I think I'll list it on fleabay initially as a buy it now then put it to auction. If it goes for close to £1k I'll be happy.. there's definitely not many rings that chunky out there - my only jewelry is/was watches and back then wanted something with presence to balance the Dreadnought :)

Master
    I have trawled lots of scrap sites for best price and at the mo its just shy of £700. Any advice or experience would be really appreciated as my garage roof needs fixing and my fence is also falling down
    £700 ought to buy you a decent haircut and new belt to stop your trousers falling down......or were they not euphemisms?

Craftsman
    heheh.. not had hair for 15 years so it's gonna be a mighty fine belt :D

What's the ring size and width on that badboy???

Craftsman
    Eyup GraniteQuarry,

Inner diameter is 21mm - approx UK W½
    Outer diameter 24.5mm
    Width is a smidge over 8mm

Cheers,

Kev
    Last edited by Afx; 11th November 2013 at 11:41.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Advise or Arouse?

I suspect you meant the former, but I've heard he's a bit of a hottie, so the latter is entirely possible.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Advise or Arouse?

I suspect you meant the former, but I've heard he's a bit of a hottie, so the latter is entirely possible.

Behave

Kev, I've sent another PM with some info that should help you build a decent sale listing for the ring mate, a grand is easily achievable selling privately.

Best of luck. (other) Kev.

Craftsman
    Top quality - again, appreciate your time Kev!

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Behave

Kev, I've sent another PM with some info that should help you build a decent sale listing for the ring mate, a grand is easily achievable selling privately.

Best of luck. (other) Kev.

Eyup GraniteQuarry,

Inner diameter is 21mm - approx UK W½
    Outer diameter 24.5mm
    Width is a smidge over 8mm

Cheers,

Kev
    Jesus Christ! It's a knuckleduster!!

T and 5mm is my limit I'm afraid, but thanks for measuring, maybe someone here with less skinny fingers will have a pop

I'd like to sell mine as well, but its engraved, It cost near £900 10 years ago. Its white gold and weighs a tonne. I would think the engraving makes it impossible to sell on? Other than for scrap i suppose.

Apprentice
    I re - used my old platinum wedding band when I got re - married earlier this year. My now wive agreed that it would be a waste selling it for scrap just to purchase a new one for more money, and at the end of the day it is only a ring.

Craftsman
    I envy you having such an understanding missus!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marcstang View Post
    I re - used my old platinum wedding band when I got re - married earlier this year. My now wive agreed that it would be a waste selling it for scrap just to purchase a new one for more money, and at the end of the day it is only a ring.

Journeyman
    You could hang onto it and get a jeweller to melt it down and use it for the another ring. Probably get 2 out of that :)

Either that or shop around to find the best price for the metal. Best place I imagine would be a precious metal scrap dealer in Hatton Garden in London or maybe the jewellery quarter in Brum.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcstang View Post
    I envy you having such an understanding missus!!!!
    I know a guy who used the same engagement ring three times but that is another story.......