closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Adjusting bezel insert on PRS-3 LE?

Blog Entries

Question Adjusting bezel insert on PRS-3 LE?

I purchased a second hand PRS-3LE Blue recently and the bezel insert is a couple of degrees off. I know this doesn't matter to some but it's driving me nuts.

Can anyone advise me on how to either a) rotate the bezel insert in-place without taking it off, or b) take the bezel insert off without damaging it such that I can re-fit it with the correct orientation?

Rotating the insert in-place seems unlikely at first but if it's glued down (which I think it is) then this might be feasible if the glue can be softened. Does anyone know what will soften the glue? Heat? Acetone?

Removing the insert without damaging it might also be accomplished by softening the glue. Has anyone removed a PRS-3 bezel insert without damaging it?

The bezel insert looks very fresh so I don't want to replace it unless I really have to, although I will ask Eddie if he can supply me with a replacement insert in case whatever I try goes terribly wrong.

Blog Entries
    What, no one?

I've replaced the insert on a PRS-18 which is similar, and I found it's pretty much impossible to remove an insert without destroying it. There is literally no room to get a blade in to pry it out, and if you did manage to you risk damaging the bezel.

The method I used was to remove the bezel and turn it over. On the underside is two holes about 2mm deep to locate the click spring. Using one of these holes select the correct sized drill and drill through the remaining 1mm or so to the underside of the insert, you'll feel when you're there as there's a slight gap to accommodate the adhesive strip. Remove the drill and turn it round and gently apply pressure to the underside of the insert. It will start to lift once the adhesive gives way then eventually you can get some plastic levers between the bezel and the insert and gently pry it out. With the new insert in place it looks identical to before, with the benefit any future changes can be carried out simply.

Last edited by Thewatchbloke; 8th December 2013 at 08:40.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that. It sounds like a promising approach. I'll ask Eddie about replacement inserts.

Be interested to know about the availability of these, my blue LE insert has a few marks, I'd love to freshen it up with a new insert

Master
    I haven't tried this with any Timefactors watch but I have successfully adjusted the insert on another diver, by gently heating it with a hairdryer and then rotating it as necessary. Luckily in this instance, the shortest distance happened to be anti-clockwise, against the uni-directional bezel which helped. It moved easily enough when it was warm and hasn't shifted since.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    I've replaced the insert on a PRS-18 which is similar, and I found it's pretty much impossible to remove an insert without destroying it. There is literally no room to get a blade in to pry it out, and if you did manage to you risk damaging the bezel.

The method I used was to remove the bezel and turn it over. On the underside is two holes about 2mm deep to locate the click spring. Using one of these holes select the correct sized drill and drill through the remaining 1mm or so to the underside of the insert, you'll feel when you're there as there's a slight gap to accommodate the adhesive strip. Remove the drill and turn it round and gently apply pressure to the underside of the insert. It will start to lift once the adhesive gives way then eventually you can get some plastic levers between the bezel and the insert and gently pry it out. With the new insert in place it looks identical to before, with the benefit any future changes can be carried out simply.

Did you find any special technique that helps to remove the bezel from the PRS-18? I think my click spring is partially dead, and I'm considering a DIY fix. I've done it once before on a different watch, but the PRS-18 doesn't seem to have any obvious place to start prying.

The bezel came away with surprisingly little fuss, I just taped up the case inserted the case knife and twisted it. It helps to have a decent case knife, I have a variety of them but the one I use the most is my bergeon one. Cost about a tenner I seem to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    The bezel came away with surprisingly little fuss, I just taped up the case inserted the case knife and twisted it. It helps to have a decent case knife, I have a variety of them but the one I use the most is my bergeon one. Cost about a tenner I seem to remember.
    Thanks. I'm guessing that would be the Bergeon 4932 then. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/380730794918...84.m1423.l2649)

Seems like something I should pick up. I bought a cheapie some time back, but it is too thick and pretty much never works.

Thanks!

That's the one, it's excellent for not leaving marks, the blade isn't sharp and lord knows what grade steel it's made out of but it doesn't seem to wear at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomantis View Post
    Thanks. I'm guessing that would be the Bergeon 4932 then. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/380730794918...84.m1423.l2649)
    I wouldn't risk that one though. It's coming from Hong Kong and Bergeon tools are very commonly faked.

I note that the Bergeon 4932-G is a left handed version. That's handy (if you're left handed like me).

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I wouldn't risk that one though. It's coming from Hong Kong and Bergeon tools are very commonly faked.

I note that the Bergeon 4932-G is a left handed version. That's handy (if you're left handed like me).
    Thanks for the heads up. I noticed the seller location and wondered, but didn't know that Bergeon has fallen victim to the counterfeiters.