closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Nomos Models

New Nomos Models

http://www.nomos-gold.com/

Two lovely watches from Nomos.. Lambda and Lux. Limited to 100 each and from $17,800 - $20,500.

Lambda

Lux

Last edited by minkle; 25th October 2013 at 19:49.

That movement looks fantastic.

Not so keen on the overall design, but can't fault Nomos for trying something different.

The movement looks fantastic, the front not so much.

The first two I really quite like, the second two not so much - though, as has already been said, the movements look lovely.

I love the first two, the Lambda, just stunning. I just wish they would do them in steel too so i might be able to afford one!

Master

New Nomos Models

The first two are nice, but the second pair doesn't look right.

Master
    The first one is beautiful, but it looks like you have to search for the hands

Master
    Oh, lovely first pair.......hang on, how feckin' much?
    Lol.....nah you're alright, I'll pass!

Craftsman
    The Lambda(first one) looks nice from first view , the Lux I think looks slightly dull upon first viewing but I'd imagine is probably a lot more attractive in the flesh ,I like the wire lugs on it.
    Pretty damn expensive for them though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The movement does look ok, and the watch looks clean and neat. However, I can't help feeling that shoving in as many screwed gold Chatons as you possibly can, is a bit of a gimmick, and looks a bit odd to say the least.
    Twin barrels and a power reserve of 7 days with maybe just a token number of screwed chatons, would have me more sold on the watch.

Overall fail from me I'm afraid :-(

Master
    Gorgeous.

BUt, in my view, they've fecked the copy on the Gold website. The main site is beautifully written. Idiosyncratic, characterful, understated. The Gold site goes down the road most of the other 'luxury' brands do and sprays the whole thing with adjectival blather.

I like the Lux more than the Lambda, particularly the blue one. However I wouldn't turn either down if someone where to buy me one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Holy sh*t! What happened to the price tags? Different design, nicely executed it seems. But 20 k USD?

The Lux looks good but that pricing??!!? What happened to bring the sensibly priced in-house option :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySquirrel View Post
    The movement looks fantastic, the front not so much.
    Can't help but agree.

If those designs are intended to appeal to intellectuals and creative types, then for once I am glad to be neither.
    I can't help but admire Nomos and am sure that they are lovely people but it might be interesting to see what effect a shot of testosterone might have on some of their designs.

Master
    Call yourself WIS? Admirable effort I say, there are many, many companies that pull the wool over every ones eyes, Nomos are being innovative at least, is it aesthetic, superficial of course, but I love their efforts. As I say I admire them for their efforts, will I buy one, at these prices of course not, but surely Its better than the endless cased up drones.

Journeyman
    Stainless steel and automatic version of the Square version for me. Then I would totally add it to my endless shopping list of watches...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by muddymonkey View Post
    Call yourself WIS? Admirable effort I say, there are many, many companies that pull the wool over every ones eyes, Nomos are being innovative at least, is it aesthetic, superficial of course, but I love their efforts. As I say I admire them for their efforts, will I buy one, at these prices of course not, but surely Its better than the endless cased up drones.
    Cased upp drones aren't widely spread in the 20k-ballpark.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommie85 View Post
    Cased upp drones aren't widely spread in the 20k-ballpark.
    Oh they are. I won't bother but I could write a long list.

They're very nice, actually, but I can't help feeling that Nomos are straying into territory that harks of Toyota's efforts to make a dent in the luxury car market. I love their "normal" range but wouldn't pay this sort of money for a Nomos.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 26th October 2013 at 12:41.

Master
    Please tell me there's as mistake in the pricing?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Please tell me there's as mistake in the pricing?
    Not sure the pricing is wrong as such.
    Precious metal watch, by a great maker. In house, very well made, manual wind movement with extended RDM at around £10,000 is about right, even good value IMO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Not sure the pricing is wrong as such.
    Precious metal watch, by a great maker. In house, very well made, manual wind movement with extended RDM at around £10,000 is about right, even good value IMO.
    Totally agree.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Design-wise I think they are great and so much more in keeping with my image of the brand than the lamentable Ahoi. However, they seem to be leaping up to a price point which the brand may not be strong enough for. I am making the presumption that the quality will be up there for this price-point but, clearly, we'll need to get hands-on for that. Time will tell...

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Design-wise I think they are great and so much more in keeping with my image of the brand than the lamentable Ahoi. However, they seem to be leaping up to a price point which the brand may not be strong enough for. I am making the presumption that the quality will be up there for this price-point but, clearly, we'll need to get hands-on for that. Time will tell...
    Hence my comment about Toyota (in the guise of Lexus).

Master
    I really like the first one, but I'm not so keen on the other three.

Nomos is a brand I've not owned, but one that catches my attention quite q bit.

Looks like a very similar movement to the Nomos-produced Wempe CW1...

...which at £4000 in steel suddenly makes me want to run out and buy one given the quoted prices from Nomos

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post

...which at £4000 in steel suddenly makes me want to run out and buy one given the quoted prices from Nomos

Well spotted, thats exactly how this came about according to the story on Hodinkee.

Craftsman
    Have to admit not a fan, I usually love the Nomos designs. At that price I can think of about 10 watches I'd prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post

I asked about the Wempe Chronometerwerke (which I think has a better design than the Nomos Lux) at Wempe on Bond St. and I could get the gold version for under £6000 (discount + VAT back).
    The pricing is a bit too optimistic for the Nomos Lux.

The Nomos Lambda, on the other hand, seems to be a bit more unique so the price isn't too unreasonable I think.

Master
    WTF is it with that power meter that is nearly as big as the time function!!!!

Ridiculous - at any price, and at that price, barking.

Rob.

How much??!!

Blog Entries
    They're out of my price league but, if they were not, I'd probably buy one. I agree that the price is a bit silly and the power reserve is absurdly large but they are nevertheless, to my mind, works of art. I think I'd enjoy owning one, as long as I could afford to spend the money and not worry about it.

The Lambda looks very nice.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    They certainly are thumping their way upmarket, and like all Veblen goods, the demand rises with the price! I also don't see how they can support their increased prices; the model range is wider, which suggests they are investing, but a doubling in price in six years for virtually identical product (see the Tangente range) is the same sort of market pricing that gives other brands a bad name.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Indeed, the Lambda is a beautiful watch and if it was available in steel with a 42mm dial at £4k I'd order it this afternoon (are you reading Nomos?)

However, it's never worth 20k, even if it was lubricated with unicorn tears.

Aren't many of us going to Salon QP soon? Perhaps the new models will be there for us to get a hands-on experience of the quality.

Craftsman
    Not for me I'm afraid.
    Why? As others have said the size of the PR is too big. It looks well presented in these shots, but when the indicator is not at 42h it won't look as balanced. It one of the reasons I don't like PR indicators, so an oversized one won't make it any better.
    I also don't like the sub seconds dial: it is placed too high, too close to center, leaving a too big void underneath. And at 42mm all dial it'll look huge on the wrist. So much for your subtle dress watch...