closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Precista PRS-82 - owner first impressions, photos and straps etc

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Welcome to the forum sir. That NATO is stunning, where did you get it from?
    Thank you, I've found this Strap on a French shop, Esprit-NATO : http://www.esprit-nato.com/product.php?id_product=79

The quality is very good !

Master
    Cheers!

Apprentice

Autumn leaves PRS-82

^^^

Nice, what strap is that?

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I must say that the popularity of the PRS-82 has taken my by surprise. It's a watch I definitely wanted to make but it's a very simple and basic design, why is it so appealing?

Eddie
    Hi Eddie,

it's the classic look. It feels like a vintage watch - not like a new watch that is trying to look vintage. Perfect balance!

Best regards

KH

Apprentice

Stowa strap

This is a brown Stowa Flieger strap without rivets, extra combo!

Nice combo !

My PRS-82 on vintage leather strap.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Padam View Post
    This is a brown Stowa Flieger strap without rivets, extra combo!
    and how might one get such a strap? Do Stowa supply Flieger strap without rivets??

I hope so!

While I haven't taken this watch off my wrist since it arrived, I did decide to take the shell NATO off of it and put it on a little thicker two-piece shell strap. I am very pleased with the result, and the Natural shell will darken and patina with time. I left the line stamp on the very tail end of the strap as an artifact of the Horween tannery.

Kind Regards to All,

Myron

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    ........... I'm wearing it on a shell cordovan NATO with custom roller buckle. Can't beat shell for comfort and durability. ..................

X
    X

Hi Rollon,

Yes, I made this strap out of a Whiskey shell. Natural also looks a lot like Whiskey when it starts out, but it will turn a lovely dark brown as it ages. I totally agree with you about the suitability of this watch on just about any kind of strap. I haven't seen one I don't like yet.

Best,

Myron

^ Thanks on that Myron. I'm familiar with the Horween Shell Cordovan in Whiskey colour and like it very much --- I think your '82 looks perfect on that

While I haven't taken this watch off my wrist since it arrived, I did decide to take the shell NATO off of it and put it on a little thicker two-piece shell strap. I am very pleased with the result, and the Natural shell will darken and patina with time. ....................

X
    X

X

^ It looks great on the 2-piece Natural HSC as well and, along with what I've already heard or read from enthusiastic to ecstatic longtime users of that special Horween colour, I think that it will just as you say look even better and better as it darkens and shows patina with age and use.

Thanks for showing this one too. Rollon
    Last edited by Rollon; 21st November 2013 at 08:22.

I still can't believe that there's actually a diver which looks good on brown leather.

Be gone ye horrid silicone and nasty mesh, away ye rattling bracelets and cheap nylon NATOs!

At last a tool watch on brown leather, 'tis truly a great day.

Hi all,

I am since yesterdays High Noon pimped with a PRS-82 and I can agree to all of the positive feedback so far.
    The watch is wonderful balanced (Homage, Vintage style & lume, size, design and metall quality)!

I am very happy with the watch! Thank you very much Eddie!

Best regards,
    Peter

This time, on a Morellato dark brown leather strap. Those indexes go well with olive-green, sand, dark brown, navy blue, grey ... a lot of strap color:

Last edited by Gatt; 21st November 2013 at 08:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbed View Post
    Mine on ....... black/sand Nato.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockabilly View Post
    Hi all, ....... ......... I am very happy with the watch! Thank you very much Eddie!

X
    X

X

Best regards,
    Peter

I think this particular NATO also seems to go especially well with the PRS-82, and I don't think I've seen this colour before you both showed it here --- Thanks, and welcome here
    Last edited by Rollon; 21st November 2013 at 10:03.

Hi,
    I was abble to achieve a colour match between the Vintage Lume and an Nato-Sand Leather-Strap from Italy, with the support of an CO2 Cleaning maschine TAB Furthermore I have implemented a Vintage Touch on the upper material. Br, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    I think this particular NATO also seems to go especially well with the PRS-82, and I don't think I've seen this colour before you both showed it here --- Thanks, and welcome here
    Hi thank you very much, I like this Nato a lot, for any purchase of this Natostrap I would like to suggest to support this shop here. Compared to other offers the cheapest, only 10 Euro compared to 25 Euro or 15 Euro from the other shops. If you search for it: Nato G10 »Tuxedo« 20 mm

Best regards, Peter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockabilly View Post
    Hi all,

I am since yesterdays High Noon pimped with a PRS-82 and I can agree to all of the positive feedback so far.
    The watch is wonderful balanced (Homage, Vintage style & lume, size, design and metall quality)!

I am very happy with the watch! Thank you very much Eddie!

Best regards,
    Peter
    That lume shot looks great, I don't seem to be getting much of a glow from mine - do they vary?

Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    That lume shot looks great, I don't seem to be getting much of a glow from mine - do they vary?
    Hi, I used a UV Blue light lamp before the picture in order to charge it for the Nightshot pic, is this cheating :) ?

Last edited by Rockabilly; 21st November 2013 at 22:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I must say that the popularity of the PRS-82 has taken my by surprise. It's a watch I definitely wanted to make but it's a very simple and basic design, why is it so appealing?

Eddie

I’m not even an owner, and this is purely just my own subjective view from afar, but I have to admit I was surprised that I liked the aesthetics of your new PRS-82 so much because I didn't much like the hands of the originals from the pictures I'd seen of them. However, I believe you've redone the hour hand for the TF '82 a bit, and, though I didn't at first see it, it now goes perfectly well with the "snake head" minute hand to my eye in that I finally realized that the segmented part of the hour hand was the rattle of the (rattle)snake's tail, giving for me a pre-existing theme as applied to the TF ‘82's handset I’ve liked since a very small child and can very much relate to still (not in the historical sense against our fine and wonderful Mum, Great Britain, but in the current sense against all who would assault freedom itself) > http://www.foundingfathers.info/stories/gadsden.html

Pretty good when one considers that rattlers, as with snakes in general, can contort themselves from stretched out straight to rippled with curves to as if coiled around an invisible pinion with head and neck reared for the strike if the extended tail rattling the intruder off should fail, which is not so very un-analogous to the hands of a PRS-82 as they rotate around the dial, ready to defend in all directions should hostiles approach.

I very much think another part of the new ‘82's popularity has to be the “aged” Luminova you’ve chosen for it. At first I thought it was of a somewhat orange hue I’ve seen vintage tritium go to, but from the subsequent pictures I’ve seen of the PRS-82 and the comments of owners having it in hand, it’s apparently more of a tan hue like both tritium and even older vintage radium I think can turn with the long passage of years. Either way, I personally think it looks just great.

Then, just as at the heart of your question, I think it might be this watch’s “very simple and basic design” that is the heart of its aesthetic appeal, at least for me, as I always tend to gravitate to that personally and perhaps many others do as well. Though I can only really guess at it myself, that same “very simple and basic design” might just even be in part why this watch seems to look good on such a wide variety of watchbands.

Intertwined in the same, I think your choice to duplicate the original MOD issue Precista’s dimensions, which were in turn based on adaption to technological requirement as opposed to the demands of current fashion might make the relatively moderate build size of the PRS-82 easier for buyers to take comfort with at either end and across the wide spectrum of wrist sizes.

Also at the heart of the TF 82's popular appeal would I think be the vintage treasure you placed inside each in the form of the new-old-stock ETA c.2783 movements you sourced for this 200 watch run that I’m sure many buyers very well know might not be available for future runs of the new ‘82 or perhaps any other new watch.

The incredible VFM you always put into every one of your watches must surely I would think also weave through the PRS-82's high popularity just as chancing upon a nugget of gold gleaming in the desert sands inclines the finder to grab it up.

I think an example of that VFM can be seen hidden from normal view in the engineer’s drawings for the PRS-82 at the gasketing of the crown unit. It appears pure Rolex “Trip[le]Lock” OysterCrown in the arrangement and number of gaskets which, I think, forms a technologically beautiful layered defence against water intrusion that self-compensates for gasket wear and compaction at the main top-of-the-crown cap gasket if the crown is toleranced to never bottom out on the case. And though I can’t tell from the presented diagram if the crown tube is, as I would always personally prefer, precisely spec’ed, threaded, and screwed into the case so as to give easy interchangeability with high quality generic Rolex specification replacement parts, the PRS-82's crown unit seems to me regardless of that to be an outstanding feature in this price range.

In fact, Eddie, if you had offered this exact watch with the option of ordering it with the (I assume) original Precista 1982 RN diver’s military specification thick, domed, and “armoured” steel tension ring secured acrylic crystal or, alternatively, a screw-down “flanged” type crystal like the PRS-50's, I think I would have myself wanted to order one of these in a shot.

Obviously, though, that particular stated case/crystal design and construction related preference (I currently only have one single glass or sapphire crystal watch and it is a frontloading “flanged” type held in by a press-fit steel-on-steel retaining ring) which might preclude my own personal ordering of a PRS-82 is probably a quite uncommon view on the very scratch conscious modern watch market so it’s still certainly no wonder, even to me, that you are being flooded with buyers for these new ‘82s. Seems a great watch very well done at superlative VFM and high congratulations on it. Rollon

Craftsman
    PRS-82 on Pav Strap

Well, I changed my wild Nato-Mind after years for the first time and I turned back to the original Rubber Band
    It happens today after a couple of days with the PRS-82 on my wrist and a dozen of Nato Band changes!

Now we're talking and I am very happy, I like it a lot with the pure metal feeling on my wrist and with the pure black look. I am very surprised of the pure metal feeling on my wrist
    Believe it or not, the first watch which is without a nato strap on my nacked wrist for longer than 5 Minutes. So I need to buy a second watch matching my Natoband collection :)

Finally, I am very impressed with the NOS ETA Movement, it keeps excellent time.
    Well done Eddie!

Craftsman

Yep it is the perfect watch for a game of pocket billiards!

Just put mine on a grey NATO, think it goes really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Just put mine on a grey NATO, think it goes really well.
    Fantastic pic. Watch looks great on that NATO.
    Cheers

Apprentice
    Here's mine on a Squinky tropic strap:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well it performed faultlessly fishing on the Norfolk Broads for a week sorry about the phone pic, fantastic watch a real classic.

Looking at the Kemmner / PRS-82 comparison above, it's striking how much more refined and detailed the 82 dial is in its details - it looks more balanced and the shape of the 12-3-6-9 indices works so well.

It's not just the simplicity, it's also about the proportions and balance. Whoever was responsible for the initial designs was bang on the money.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bhall41 View Post
    Here's mine on a Squinky tropic strap:
    I thought a Tropic strap was a woven perlon thing? This looks like a nice NOS dive strap but I wouldn't call it a tropic.

Anyone?

Just placed my order

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Just placed my order
    Congratulations! I am most certain you won't be disappointed!!

Just placed my order
    Me too.

Where is the best place to get a dark grey NATO from?
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Precista PRS-82 - owner first impressions, photos and straps etc

^From Eddie IMO.

Edit: Just read the 'dark' bit..

^From Eddie IMO.

Edit: Just read the 'dark' bit..
    Eddie's are the best, of course, but I just find his grey a little too silvery.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    Me too.

Me 3.. just before 8am

Just waiting for the final confirmation email

Maybe only 1 prs82 left now...

Master
    Damn I missed out they are out of stock!

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    Me too.

If you want admiralty grey, buy admiralty grey

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phoenix-St...item58a89fcb26
    Gray

Banned
    thanks I just bought a grey.

which is fitting seeing your name lol

Craftsman
    The phoenix admiralty grey strap is the one I have with the PRS-82....great combo.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
    The phoenix admiralty grey strap is the one I have with the PRS-82....great combo.
    I was going to try it on my CWC diver

Craftsman
    At this moment 3 at stock!

Where are these numbered? Browsing through pics I couldn't see any numbering...

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    Me 3.. just before 8am

Just waiting for the final confirmation email

Maybe only 1 prs82 left now...
    got my confirmation email :)

I see that they are now out of stock. Have all 200 been sold?

Craftsman
    Where are these numbered? Browsing through pics I couldn't see any numbering...
    The last three digits of the serial number on the back of the watch & on the card insert. Mine is number (0)37.

Last edited by sdb123; 3rd December 2013 at 19:25.

Master
    Phew I just got my confirmation and I get the second to last one!

how are guys working out the stock levels and how many were left when you bought one?

Quote Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
    The last three digits of the serial number on the back of the watch & on the card insert. Mine is number (0)37.

^I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    how are guys working out the stock levels and how many were left when you bought one?
    Normally you add, say for example 100 watches to your cart and the see how many are in stock by the number in your cart. In this instance it's saying it's out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    Normally you add, say for example 100 watches to your cart and the see how many are in stock by the number in your cart. In this instance it's saying it's out of stock.
    That's 13 of the PRS-82 sold today which is quite remarkable. Only another 24 due now and that's the initial order of 200 watches filled. I've ordered another 200 but they won't be delivered for 3 - 4 months.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Congratulations!

Where on earth did you get all those movements from?

Jim