closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cheers Apple

Grand Master

Cheers Apple

For all those who like to bash apple they just gave their latest operating system away for free to all users, just installed OSX Mavericks and it's slick
    RIAC

Master
    Downloading all my devices, looking forward to trying to see if I get the extra hour battery life.

Craftsman
    Cheers for the heads up I'm downloading it now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post
    Desperate measure by a dying company.
    Tomorrow's Blackberry.
    Yawn.

Damn it, my hard drive is nearly full...apart from photo's music and movies, what else would be taking up all of my space? Any suggestions guys...

I don't understand why everybody is so ready to beat the crap out of apple. I have several work mates who won't have any apple product "out of principle" when asked what they actually mean they can't quite explain what the reasoning is behind it.

Apple make some amazing products which have revolutionised technology over the past 10 yrs. I have an Ipad2" the wife has a IPad 3 and I wouldn't change it or go back to a laptop for anything. I can do most things that a laptop can do and quicker.

I've tried the equivalent Samsung as both my boys have Tab 2s and they're not worth a w**k.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 22nd October 2013 at 21:30.

I give Apple for their mobile devices but for desktop experience their way of working is still the best in the business. The new Mac Pro is just an incredible piece of engineering. Will be attempting to download Mavricks myself.

Grand Master
    Tomorrow's Blackberry.
    Heres where Apple Rank based on several analysts

http://www.rankingthebrands.com/Bran...aspx?brandID=8

And Blackberry

http://www.rankingthebrands.com/Bran...spx?brandID=21

PS

Thanks for getting me ready for bed!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

And Blackberry

PS

Yep they're dying on their arse there...lol

Grand Master
    Tomorrow's Blackberry.

And Blackberry

PS

RIAC

Tomorrow's Blackberry.
    I have used both.

Apple make products that are for the most part intuitive, usable and seamlessly integrated. They are one of the few companies that use a set of ergonomic derived 'human guidelines' and even through people complain that they are buying into a locked system, unlike PCs, there is at least conformance and standardisation of interface and functionality for the most part.

Blackberry (from my experience) make products that have minimal usability, appear to be very poorly integrates and are frankly shoddy. Throughout my relationship with a Blackberry device over the past year there was never a moment when I wouldn't have been happy to have ground it under my heel and burn the resultant rubble which I would have been quite happy to post to Blackberry's corporate headquarters with a terse letter advising them to hire some decent ergonomists.

That is why Blackberry are just about to go out of business even though their last do or die product was a vain attempt to create a smart phone in the image of the iPhone. At least Apple understand that good design is no more expensive than bad and have to date shown their customers some respect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen View Post
    Yawn.
    +1 - another confrontational post from HfB, with no basis in reality.

z

Journeyman
    Tomorrow's Blackberry.
    Maybe not as good as in steves time but dying i dont think so...
    In todays keynote they said that 170 mil. Ipads where sold...that is just ipads...
    But you have to consider larger picture.. Apple is havily involved with content.. That is also a big future..
    What will happen when apple start producing their own shows for itunes like netflix did with house of cards..

Journeyman
    Tomorrow's Blackberry.
    lol

Tomorrow's Blackberry.

What name are you under on your trolling emails nowadays ?

Right now back to normality . Just started the upgrade.

I've only ever known PC's. Bit of a computer geek in my day. Degree in computing, self builds etc etc. Nowadays though all i use a PC for is browsing internet and storing photographs.

Got the opportunity recently through my employer to get a new computer for home, so i've gone for a new 27 inch iMac.

When i think about it, in all the years into computers, i've never even sat in front of a Mac before, let alone use one, so in at the deep end with OS X

It comes next month, and i'm really looking forward to getting stuck in.
    Last edited by Kiki Picasso; 22nd October 2013 at 22:38.

Journeyman
    dont have time to download 5.5gb of Maverick. whats it like guys, any real differences?

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspoofus View Post
    dont have time to download 5.5gb of Maverick. whats it like guys, any real differences?
    Downloaded really fast for me. Installation is still ongoing though. About 40 minutes in......

Grand Master
    The changes are very subtle, nice calander and tagging is a nice to have as we obtain yet more and more info, ibooks I rarely use as I kindle the ipad and safari always good
    RIAC

I'll give it a week or two to see if any major issues are reported, which is my usual policy, albeit one requiring a lot of discipline :-) Cool move by Apple to make it free.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I don't understand why everybody is so ready to beat the crap out of apple. I have several work mates who won't have any apple product "out of principle" when asked what they actually mean they can't quite explain what the reasoning is behind it.

Apple make some amazing products which have revolutionised technology over the past 10 yrs. I have an Ipad2" the wife has a IPad 3 and I wouldn't change it or go back to a laptop for anything. I can do most things that a laptop can do and quicker.

I've tried the equivalent Samsung as both my boys have Tab 2s and they're not worth a w**k.
    Sorry disagree. Other half has an iPad and would take my Tab over it every day of the week. Much more freedom with Android

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Sorry disagree. Other half has an iPad and would take my Tab over it every day of the week. Much more freedom with Android
    I just can't get on with the Samsung at all, it's seems overly complicated to use,far to many menus and I'm always clicking the wrong buttons looking for stuff.

Journeyman
    Tomorrow's Blackberry.
    Really?.. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...udy-finds.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Damn it, my hard drive is nearly full...apart from photo's music and movies, what else would be taking up all of my space? Any suggestions guys...
    Easy way to find out – check the sizes of your folders.
    If you want something more than using cmd+I in a Finder window, then download OmniDiskSweeper or What Size from macupdate.com

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by occamsrazor View Post
    Cool move by Apple to make it free.
    The primary aim is to migrate more people over to it, and off Snow Leopard (OS X.6) – which they still have to support, as a large percentage of the user base have been in no hurry to upgrade, where their machines are listed as being capable of handling the new OS.

Master
    I got my first MBP in 2011 and cannot imagine ever going back to Windows for home use. The new MBP looks so good! Maybe in a year I'll upgrade again, but for now my 2011 MBP is still very fast and more than capable of doing everything I want. I'll be downloading Mavericks tonight.

I've just upgraded my late 2011 13" MBP to Mavericks with no hassle at all.
    Not too different, but I like the tabs in Finder and Safari seem really snappy, quite like the sidebar on this too.
    Time will tell on battery life and other things like app speed, but seems good so far.

And free...

Master
    Tomorrow's Blackberry.
    Increasingly tedious.

Thomas Reid
    I thought that Linus had that patented for linux. [1] Maybe the next step will be that it is not only free as in beer, but also free as in speech. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS

[1] Perhaps I should have said "Richard Stallman", but I couldn't bring myself to use his name and the "p" word in the same sentence. I think that in 20 years when the history of computing at the end of the 20th and beginning of the 21st century is being written, Stallman's name is going to be at or near the top of the list of influential people.
    RLF
    Last edited by rfrazier; 23rd October 2013 at 11:28.

Lots of Apple hating and defending, but not much insight. Comments like "The Samsung's not worth w**k" are as valueless as "Apple are dying".

However, most people forget how bad things got for Apple after they fired Steve Jobs.

Obviously they're starting from a stronger base now, but Apple (since it started) WAS Steve Jobs and (like or loathe him) his single-minded insight is what got them where they are now.

Sure, they employ lots of clever people, but Apple didn't get to be the Apple it is today JUST by having clever people working there and it will be interesting to see where they go over the next few years.

Could be up, could be gently down or they COULD be the next Blackberry/Nokia...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 23rd October 2013 at 11:13.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    I don't see how they could be the next Blackberry/Nokia, Apple are to diverse. Primarily Blackberry and Nokia were phone manufacturers.

Apple are much bigger than that. They may no longer continue to dominate the market like they did, but if they're the next anything it'll more like be the next Sony or something like that, which isn't a bad place to be, i.e. not the leading brand but one that is well respected.

Been using Mavericks all morning and to be honest at the moment the changes are subtle. The whole metadata stuff in finder has potential, but so far no real change for me. Computer feels a tad slower, but nothing to worry about and no crashing or bugs I've come across with my normal tasks.

On Apple as a brand - they are too big and too diverse and still extremely popular. Look at the 5S - a pretty much minor update and yet selling like hotcakes. Their share price is on the slide a bit, but I think that is more market correction for it being over valued relative to it being on the slide.

Tomorrow's Blackberry.
    Utter rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I don't see how they could be the next Blackberry/Nokia, Apple are to diverse. Primarily Blackberry and Nokia were phone manufacturers.

Apple are much bigger than that. They may no longer continue to dominate the market like they did, but if they're the next anything it'll more like be the next Sony or something like that, which isn't a bad place to be, i.e. not the leading brand but one that is well respected.
    Indeed, I think that's more likely, BUT, diversification depends on them diversifying into markets with products people actually want. Otherwise it's just an expensive development (product and market) exercise.

That was Jobs' real strength, (mostly) judging it right - Assuming the new leaders at Apple will have the same golden touch is asking too much, I think and they COULD get it horribly wrong.

They're not diverse like Sony or Samsung. They make three main lines, PCs, Tablet/Phones (really the same technology) and MP3 players - Who knows where the next 5 years will take us in any of these fields?

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 23rd October 2013 at 11:58.

Lots of Apple hating and defending, but not much insight. Comments like "The Samsung's not worth w**k" are as valueless as "Apple are dying".

However, most people forget how bad things got for Apple after they fired Steve Jobs.

Obviously they're starting from a stronger base now, but Apple (since it started) WAS Steve Jobs and (like or loathe him) his single-minded insight is what got them where they are now.

Sure, they employ lots of clever people, but Apple didn't get to be the Apple it is today JUST by having clever people working there and it will be interesting to see where they go over the next few years.

M
    I agree, Apple are going through a transition that Virgin will find themselves having to cope with sooner or later.

My "insight" of saying that the Samsung is w**k is based on the fact I've used both and in my opinion it is just that compared to the IPad.

The statement saying that Apple is dying on their arse however is also total boll**ks , as quite clearly it is not.

So really don't get your point.

They're not diverse like Sony or Samsung. They make three main lines, PCs, Tablet/Phones (really the same technology) and MP3 players - Who knows where the next 5 years will take us in any of these fields?

M.
    You are forgetting that the hardware is just a gateway into the cash cow that is the Itunes and App stores...

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post

My "insight" of saying that the Samsung is w**k is based on the fact I've used both and in my opinion it is just that compared to the IPad.

The statement saying that Apple is dying on their arse however is also total boll**ks , as quite clearly it is not.

So really don't get your point.
    Hardly "insight" to say that you didn't get on with the the Samsung, that's just a matter of opinion.

You'll, no doubt, be shocked to find that others have used both as well and some can see the difference is just that, a difference.

Apple are great for the uninitiated or lazy, who are happy to just take things as they are presented (and don't get all upset, I chose an iPad too and like it's simplicity and consistency in this respect).

Android phones and Tablets give you much more control (and I'm not looking to start the Apple/Android holy war over whether that's good) which means there are more options and ways to do things, which many people prefer.

Neither's perfect, both are good. Certainly neither is 'W**k".

I can never really understand why people invest so much personal pride in the products of a company they've no involvement with, except as a consumer.

Use what suits you best and when/if someone else makes something better, move to that!

M

It's funny how these discussions can become so emotive.
    I think it's interesting what Clayton Christensen (Harvard professor expert in technology disruption and innovation) thinks. He believes that the proprietary nature Apple tech will be its downfall with people moving to open tech:

"Successful innovative products like the iPhone are usually based on proprietary technology because that is how the dominant business carves out, protects and builds its top market position.
    But at some point as they get better and better, they start to exceed what people actually need or are willing to pay extra for.
    “When that happens the people who have the proprietary architecture are pushed to the ceiling and the volume goes to the open players. So in smartphones the Android operating system has consummate modularity that now allows hundreds of people in Vietnam and China to assemble these things."

Personally I moved from Apple early. At that time Android phones weren't that great, but they were cheaper and offered more variety of hardware. I have a Galaxy S4 now, which is an incredible phone. No one really uses any apple stuff in our house (kids have Android tablets / phones) though ironically I still use iTunes.

Apple have vast amounts of cash, but can they continue to innovate and capitalise on the next wave of disruptive tech? Personally I'm not so sure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Been using Mavericks all morning and to be honest at the moment the changes are subtle. The whole metadata stuff in finder has potential, but so far no real change for me. Computer feels a tad slower, but nothing to worry about and no crashing or bugs I've come across with my normal tasks.
    I'm not noticing much change. Calendar seems better - and it looks better without the woodwork :) I'm finding Safari 7 to be a bit faster (i7 MBA).

All in all a pretty slick update process; works with all my software except one gpx file editor.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla View Post
    I think it's interesting what Clayton Christensen (Harvard professor expert in technology disruption and innovation) thinks. He believes that the proprietary nature Apple tech will be its downfall with people moving to open tech:

There's also the hardware side. Since Google doesn't make its money on the hardware, it would be quite happy for the hardware to become high quality commodity items. That is, it doesn't much mind a race to the bottom (of cost) for either the hardware or the software. A similar story holds for Amazon. They would probably like to make a tidy profit on the hardware, but would settle for breaking even. That being said, I don't see Apple going away any time soon.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla View Post

"Successful innovative products like the iPhone are usually based on proprietary technology because that is how the dominant business carves out, protects and builds its top market position.
    But at some point as they get better and better, they start to exceed what people actually need or are willing to pay extra for.
    “When that happens the people who have the proprietary architecture are pushed to the ceiling and the volume goes to the open players. So in smartphones the Android operating system has consummate modularity that now allows hundreds of people in Vietnam and China to assemble these things."

Personally I moved from Apple early. At that time Android phones weren't that great, but they were cheaper and offered more variety of hardware. I have a Galaxy S4 now, which is an incredible phone. No one really uses any apple stuff in our house (kids have Android tablets / phones) though ironically I still use iTunes.

Apple have vast amounts of cash, but can they continue to innovate and capitalise on the next wave of disruptive tech? Personally I'm not so sure.

That's pretty obvious. It's exactly what happened to Apple Computers 30 years ago - they were the first to make a user friendly computer. They got the killer apps on their platform, and dominated for years. Eventually IBM-compatible PCs caught up, DOS and then Windows came in as an OS to copy Macintosh (which they did, very heavily) and undercut the Apple by several hundred dollars on each machine.
    The free-er nature of the Microsoft environment allowed wider app development, and soon not only were IBM PCs cheaper, but also could do more. That's why they still dominate the Personal Computer market to this day. There's no reason why that won't happen in a very similar way in the smartphone and tablet market.

Hardly "insight" to say that you didn't get on with the the Samsung, that's just a matter of opinion.

You'll, no doubt, be shocked to find that others have used both as well and some can see the difference is just that, a difference.

Apple are great for the uninitiated or lazy, who are happy to just take things as they are presented (and don't get all upset, I chose an iPad too and like it's simplicity and consistency in this respect).

Android phones and Tablets give you much more control (and I'm not looking to start the Apple/Android holy war over whether that's good) which means there are more options and ways to do things, which many people prefer.

Neither's perfect, both are good. Certainly neither is 'W**k".

I can never really understand why people invest so much personal pride in the products of a company they've no involvement with, except as a consumer.

Use what suits you best and when/if someone else makes something better, move to that!

M
    Well that's my own personal insight in to it, how else could I make such a judgement if I had never placed it in my hands and used it? As far as I can see from my usage of the IPad and the samsung, they both do the same things however, the samsung makes a song and dance over it, whilst the IPad is very easy to use.....why make something overly complicated to use....how is that a selling point over a more simple to use product?

Master
    Updated this morning, no issues beyond updating a couple of drivers. The improvements are subtle, but tags and a tabbed finder will be useful, and others will reveal themselves gradually. The really clever stuff is 'under the hood', compressed ram, gpu stuff etc.. The machine should work better without you quite knowing why.

Very smart move from Apple to give it away - instead of charging and getting complaints about an upgrade without a major graphic overhaul or big headline features, they have chosen to kick Microsoft in the nuts. If you are going to run OSX then you must have bought a mac, bringing Apple revenue on the hardware anyway. Windows runs on all manner of third party hardware, they can't possible give it at away or they would have no revenue. Great news for Apple users, terrible news for Microsoft.

Craftsman
    Ive just updated mine tonight and it seems canny enough. Don't think i'll use ibooks but the calendar and safari look good.