closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not about best, nor good, just FUN

Banned
    Blog Entries

Not about best, nor good, just FUN

Almost two months ago I had a good fun evening with a regular gf with whom I have a running watch gag.
    Long story short she has insisted on giving me a custom dial sub homage for my birthday.
    As the ´Bond´ thing has imo long since reached the point of ludicrous shé mischievously insisted it had to be thát one.
    Mine was the choice of custum printing even if she did obviously voice her opinion which unfortunately was the best idea...

I opted for the HelenaRou 6538 ´Bond´ homage as that imo is a well enough made modern interpretation with a relatively very well made dial.

The birth of the model was december 2010 between HR and homageforum dude Cooper.
    June 2011 they had the first case sample in.
    August 2011 they were having problems still:

Sept they got the bezel shape they wanted:

and at the end of sept only the thick spring bar lug holes failed

December 2011 it hit the HR webshop.

Coop got one with his own brand printed:

As he also has the highest quality 6538 homage sofar, he made a back to back comparison:

http://www.homageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15548

Banned
    Blog Entries

Mý one

Which leads us to mý one.

I wanted the ETA option, for no other reason than ´ETA inside´ silly bugger perception. Yes, I know; infused by marketing.

Deciding on the dial print was a bit of a bigger challenge. I wanted a s less as possible but print as 6 looks sóó nicely balanced:

HR (for ease sake) could not have been more helpfull and patient. He made several mock ups to help me make up my mind and each time responded promptly.
    It took me some time to get round to realising just being accustomed to it, that the blurp would be superlatively superfluous, so I finally I decided on logo at 12 only.

Thén I suddenly got a bee in my bonnet about the bezel

For some (vaguely historic/heritage) reason I got the idea that the red triangle/minute hashes was the more authentic...

Go figure. On a 21st C. homage of a Hollywood thing meant to be a fún thing between a gf and me; for a bloke who doesn´t dive deeper than his knees!!
    How silly can you get???
    I got the swatter out and dispatched the bee.

HR dutyfully kept me updated of the status. Last week he assembled it and posted in on the 18th, last thursday.

Fingers crossed.
    I cannot write ´meanwhile´as I had more immediate things to keep the fun part of my brain occupied, but after lunch today I got curious....

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I wanted the ETA option, for no other reason than ´ETA inside´..

For some (vaguely historic/heritage) reason I got the idea that the red triangle/minute hashes was the more authentic...

..a 21st C. homage of a Hollywood thing meant to be a fún thing between a gf and me; for a bloke who doesn´t dive deeper than his knees!!
    I could say something mean like "remember this next time you point out what you think is a daft buying decision"... But instead I'll just say nice watch :)

Nothing wrong with having things just because you want them!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post

Nothing wrong with having things just because you want them!
    So true and it has always been my position.
    It does not hurt though to be aware of the various components making up that ´want´.
    It helps to prioritise, make choices, perhaps even put prices on it.
    In the case of the ´Eta inside´ there was only beer money in it which I am not paying anyway

Just relaised that one needs to register to read the compariosn. Sorry for that. I will pinch a photo later.

Later:

The gist is that the MkII has a higher quality of dial and the rest is win some, loose some.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 21st October 2013 at 18:22.

Blog Entries
    That's a nice little project, one in which you can't loose I'd say.

And, as a one off, it's dial wise unique.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    That's a nice little project, one in which you can't loose I'd say.

And, as a one off, it's dial wise unique.

Daddel.

Thanks Daddel.

A bit apprehensive about how it has turned out though.
    I also hope the sterile rivet bracelet I have sourced fits.
    Next will be a tropic strap as the Nato is a NoNo for me; no matter what she tempts me with, I will not wear it on that.

I'm really looking to seeing your variant when it's completed Cilla, if it's comparable with the MKii then by all accounts that's very big praise indeed.

Also, I don't think there's any stigma with a vintage sub homage, the 6538 is neither current or easily/cheaply obtainable & if one did procure one, I doubt it would it be an obvious choice for daily wearer*

The shape and dial of the submariner imo has far transcended the original, dashes, dots & a triangle is available in so (so) many watches these days, as are those thin, extended lugs [except on the new Rolexes of course ;]

I'm most curious to see your dial design... as discussed so much dial info is completely spurious and ultimately generic, like sport, 16v, VVT, GT, Turbo on the back of a car... yet what we're used to seeing makes us expect dial text...

Will be good to see what you have and how you've presented it, (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it doesn't say 007, licence to kill ;-)

Considering I have a soft spot for the black bay, the HR could be a far more attractive proposition - both on the eye and the wallet

Keep us updated

*cue someone now posting they wear their 6538 everyday ;-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Adam.

The dial ' design' is nothing special for anyone but me; it is very simply the name of my equestrian endeavor and is her homage to me concerning this.

add .eu to find my website.

Thanks Adam.

The dial ' design' is nothing special for anyone but me; it is very simply the name of my equestrian endeavor and is her homage to me concerning this.

add .eu to find my website.
    That's a lot of info about horses!!!

Were you tempted to put the homocaballs text at the 6 position?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    That's a lot of info about horses!!!

Were you tempted to put the homocaballs text at the 6 position?
    Yes and it did not look half right on the mock up.

Here a 12 only precedent btw:

source http://stefanomazzariol.blogspot.com...ref-6538a.html

That's very cool and I'm excited to see it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Me too.
    I will volunteer to bring my son to school tomorrow which gives me the excuse to drop by the post office. I just need to stop and wave to Pilar on the way back through the village.
    QuadrupleWin that.
    Brown points for bringing the kid; both with him and his mom, checking the mail early, making Pilar laugh.
    Fingers crossed it will be in ánd that it will be what I hope...

..will be continued...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Spééd Post indeed!

Wow, it was not only there but it had been in yesterday already.
    Pilar had called but not left a message and was just writing a note.

Packaging is effective. Both for safety and cost :-)
    You don´t pay for the box&papers and I also was lucky with customs. It was declared but not taxed.

The strap is 100% correct and thus ´crap´.
    Between brackets as it ís very nice and as it should be for a Bond homage. It is a single loop regimental with keepr in the same material and has a véry, surprisingly, nice buckle. Neat stitching and holes/end heat sealed.
    I just don´t like it the slíghtest and it does not suit the head.

Ok the head.
    I did not ´stun´ as I kept my faculties ;-) but that is all it did not do as it comes better looking from under the protective sheets than I expected, even hóped.
    It really is as good as it looks on the fotos.

Now for the crux; the dial.
    Ah, euhm yes....
    I asked MT for the smallest format available and that is what it is.
    That was on purpose so it would not shout and also because the word is 12 characters long.
    The smallest format is however VERY small and illegible with mý naked eye needing +1 for fine print books in low light conditions.
    I can read the ´HC´ but not the ´homocaballus´.
    Under the loupe the fine print is amazingly sharp. I am truely amazed about the quality.

The result is bétter than I hoped for as the logo is there but discreet. When you see the watch on my wrist it looks stylishly uncluttered, discreet but has nothing ´missing´ at 12.
    In average light you can see the HC and in good light and with good eyes or reading glasses you can read my logo.
    It would not at all suit the purpose of branding in the manufacturers interests but my logo is exáctly as I like it; present but discreet.
    As a bonus it is a display of printing quality which if effect lifts the thing úp a step (or two!) on the SLoP scale. I am impressed and chuffed to no end.

I will trý take a foto of it but I am affraid it is on the other side of the limits of my fotographic skills. The camera has a macro setting, but I don´t

Banned
    Blog Entries

Reading the REALLY fine print

Look at the ´a´....

My largest watchmakers magnification loupe is 10x and that is far from showing imperfections in the logo print.
    Thus I put the loup in front of my reading glasses, adding up to 20x magnification.
    Nów the printing starts showing an imperfection; the ink shows uneven thickness, but it STILL is straight at the borders.
    I see thus belief but this is far beyond realistic expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    The strap is 100% correct and thus ´crap
    :)

Looks good. It could do with some age and dinks and donks to make it look a little more lived in but that's understandable :)

Good stuff!

A really interesting watch and project, thanks for sharing it. Now that you have the watch will you be wearing it much?

That looks lovely Petrus, I much prefer that bezel to the period correct minute markers/red triangle one, but I thought that was the one you were getting?

From your pix and comments, I don't think there's any issue of VFM on the HR :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That looks lovely Petrus, I much prefer that bezel to the period correct minute markers/red triangle one, but I thought that was the one you were getting?
    I was but thought the better of it. I am very glad I did because it would have been unsubtle whereas it now is véry discreet.

From your pix and comments, I don't think there's any issue of VFM on the HR :)
    Imo it is very ok yes; a lot of watch for the money but that is personal opinion. The indiscutable thing is the quality of the custom dial.

Not much Mr.T.
    I will be wearing it when I get a tropic strap, but only when suiteable for bonding fun flirting occasions.

An interesting project Petrus, and a very nice result indeed. A clear case of 'less is more'.

Wear it in health.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Cool

Not much Mr.T.
    I will be wearing it when I get a tropic strap, but only when suiteable for bonding fun flirting occasions.
    :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Almost nicked already :-)

The end links of the rivet bracelet do NOT fit. The bars are too thick but that I can solve. More serious is that the hole to head distance on the HR is shorter. I will have to have a better look at that.

I put the head on the Bond strap to show it to the woman who paid for it. Mind you I only showed it, NOT wéar it :-)

Right. Then I put it on the table. Not near the edge, out of harms way.
    WRONG!
    The Main Coon tom kitten ´Koen´ has more reach than one can imagine so he fished it from the table.
    I sáw the movement in the corner of my eye and told him off. He quicky retracted his paw... hooking it in the nylon, swiping the strap off the table in a flight response from the unexpected resistance.
    Good thing it is nót a ´Nato´as he had hooked on to the buckle end so the head slipped off at the table edge. It still toppled off but I meanwhile had time to react and caught it.

A tropic type it is then.
    Appearantly while Omega Seamaster Pro, Aquastar Benthos etc were put on Isofrane, when ordering a sub without a bracelet you got it on a rubber ´Tropic´ strap and Rolex ADs were stocked with a variety:

As the HR is an homage it is a bit overkill to pay a lot of premium for an original Tropic and I am cértainly not going to pay squinky-money. A remake also cost some 20 euros shipped so still worth a quick look though.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 6th December 2014 at 19:12.

Only with the Lady who generously conceived of this gift surely!
    After all, she might just be hoping that you will think of her everytime you wear it!

The Main Coon tom kitten ´Koen´ has more reach than one can imagine so he fished it from the table.
    I sáw the movement in the corner of my eye and told him off. He quicky retracted his paw... hooking it in the nylon, swiping the strap off the table in a flight response from the unexpected resistance.
    Good thing it is nót a ´Nato´as he had hooked on to the buckle end so the head slipped off at the table edge. It still toppled off but I meanwhile had time to react and caught it.
    When does the cat's funeral take place?

Right. Then I put it on the table. Not near the edge, out of harms way.
    WRONG!

Seldom has the phrase [often used in relation to a new watch purchase] "good catch" been more applicable

I love both my cat and 14month old daughter, but they're both a liability around watches, both of them seem to think they're playthings (they're kinda right, but they're my play things)

edit

if your maine coon is anywhere near as cute as the ones in a google image search, i'm sure he is soon forgiven :)
    Last edited by adzman808; 22nd October 2013 at 18:53.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    When does the cat's funeral take place?
    The cat is priceless living being, a watch a replaceable object.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Only with the Lady who generously conceived of this gift surely!
    After all, she might just be hoping that you will think of her everytime you wear it!
    Well, we men may be accused of having a one track mind but we know it is not so; we don't go blind for women when talking to one woman and ditto I can bond non exclusively and think of her :-)
    Furthermore it is a GIFT, not a payment.

Banned
    Blog Entries

if your maine coon is anywhere near as cute as the ones in a google image search, i'm sure he is soon forgiven :)
    They are halfway cute and horrific. Just a moment ago a wine carton box with four tomcat feet and a thick tail shot past. His sis is now trying to get way with using a drying rack as a trampoline.
    In half an our or so they will ask to sit on our lap and purr there contently.

btw what's the lume like on the watch?

Agreed. I was just joking.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    btw what's the lume like on the watch?
    I only have had it since this morning so have no overnight info.
    I did do a quick and dirty earlier this evening.

Held the dead lume under a traditional 15 watt light bulb for a minute, then went watering the horses outside in the dark, no lighting, clouded sky.

The dial did not light up like a torch but returned the energy over time instead.

Could can see the seconds hand blob (which is the smallest amount of lume) moving around an easily legible dial for about 15 and could read the time for 5 more.
    I have no clue about the lumen absorbed/returned nor if it is objectively good, but 20 minutes of good legibility after 1 under a modest light source was the result.

The minute hand then disappeared, shortly after followed by the hour hand. The markers and pip remained visible longest but as it is irrelevant I did not bother with how long.

The colour is greenish white.

Well, we men may be accused of having a one track mind but we know it is not so; we don't go blind for women when talking to one woman and ditto I can bond non exclusively and think of her :-)
    Oh Huertecilla - You are GOOD ....very GOOD indeed !

Forpetesake.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Oh Huertecilla - You are GOOD ....very GOOD indeed !

Forpetesake.
    You have no idea, well maybe sóme

Anyway, I am taking to this bonding tool watch and tried to order a rubber from Eddie but the shop is closed due to deserved record success of the wónderfull PRS82 which I would like to order too. It is such an increadible value as wátch for money. Unfortunately it doesn´t fit anywhere in my use.

Blog Entries
    Uhhh, no, I hate the buggers and rather eat them.

And, yes, I'm a big animal lover, they just do not belong in a house.

Buy the PRS82, the fact that it doesn't fit in your use is reoson enough to buy it

Daddel.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Buy the PRS82, the fact that it doesn't fit in your use is reoson enough to buy it
    No use means no wrist time as the daily beaters are solidly established.
    Thus it would be like putting money in the drawer but with real money easier redirected.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It´s riveting now!

´My´ gf is enjoying a totally silly tv program so I decided to brave the helping Coon-monsters and make the bracelet fit.
    A bit of reaming, filing, bending, sanding with 1000 grade and cat throwing supported by magic words in seven languages later... it FITS!!!!!!

I looks very much the part now on the rivet type bracelet and freed from the imo silly ´Bond´ strap I furthermore have no right to wear the colours of I can fínally don it

I will try to grab a snapshot tomorrow but as I cannot wear it then, it is doubtfull I will come round to it.

Blog Entries
    No use means no wrist time as the daily beaters are solidly established.
    Thus it would be like putting money in the drawer but with real money easier redirected.
    Ok, ok, sensible, but I could give a try eh?

Daddel.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Foto underway

I couldn´t wear the watch today but took a foto when I got home just around sunset. They look ok on the little screen.
    However, as my desktop is from the previous century and the thing you crank it up with has gone a bit... cranky, I think uploading will have to wait till tomorow.
    Ha, you think, why not download on the laptop you are using now?! Well, Í am from way further back the previous century and get even more cranky when I have to figure out the software on it.

Admit it - you want a Rolex, don't you?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

A bit of reaming, filing, bending, sanding with 1000 grade and cat throwing supported by magic words in seven languages later... it FITS!!!!!!.
    Cat throwing is a key element of all my strap changing and general watch maintenance efforts.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Admit it - you want a Rolex, don't you?
    Admit it - you don´t understand that somebody wánts NOT to have one.

If I would want one/the image, I would simply buy one, or more. You missed that obviously.

This watch is about something else completely. But then you probably missed the how&why of this watch too.

Tant pis, so please try to restrain yourself from degrading yourself and a simply fún topic by trying to divert this into another senseless pro/contra Rolex non-thread.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dbt001 View Post
    Cat throwing is a key element of all my strap changing and general watch maintenance efforts.
    Don´t forget the ´magic´ words

Admit it - you don´t understand that somebody wánts NOT to have one.

If I would want one/the image, I would simply buy one, or more. You missed that obviously.

This watch is about something else completely. But then you probably missed the how&why of this watch too.

Tant pis, so please try to restrain yourself from degrading yourself and a simply fún topic by trying to divert this into another senseless pro/contra Rolex non-thread.
    I think you missed the humour in his comment there Petrus. Don't take things too seriously. Your many alleged girlfriends wouldn't find that an attractive trait.
    To calm you down a little perhaps you should focus on the good fortune that not having your watch on a NATO brought - a domestic cat didn't manage to damage it.
    Imagine if it HAD been on one of those awful NATOS - that cat would have smashed that watch into a thousand pieces!

Edit - If it would have been a real rolex on a NATO there might even have been a nuclear explosion!
    Last edited by Umbongo; 24th October 2013 at 22:54.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    To calm you down a little perhaps you should focus on the good fortune that not having your watch on a NATO brought - a domestic cat didn't manage to damage it.
    Imagine if it HAD been on one of those awful NATOS - that cat would have smashed that watch into a thousand pieces!
    Yes, I wrote that; thanks for repeating it in your own words.

About the gfs I know; without fotos it did not happen. Again tant pis.

Meanwhile I have cranked up the desktop. It will warm up while I walk my kid to the schoolbus. A véry busy day today but a coffee break to upload the fotos should work.

Edit;
    ...I should not have writte the latter; it says it needs upgrades and then bogs down on those.
    First a cup of coffee.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 25th October 2013 at 08:10.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The riveting vanity present.

The appearant difference between bracelet and head ís real just not that visible to the eye. Both are brushed in a different direction and the different angle reflects the light differently. On the wrist you don´t notice it.
    The contrast beteen brushed top and polishid side of the watch, ditto top/side of bracelet you do. It makes them match quite well.

It is going to be a realy nice day again today. As the forecast for the weekend is not so good I will get my son straight from school and have lunch on a terrace.
    For the rest I have a lot of keeping house to do. Really funny as I did not want to not wear my HC6538 lest I scratch it, but have donned a fár more expensive GS... Ah, men

Edit; I suddenly registered the image I had in front of me.
    I hád to to a snapshot so ARRGGGGG... I have to upload again. Too good not to share.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 25th October 2013 at 09:22.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Some máy get it; enjoy!

When the art is about telling a story, than this is art, however poor the foto. There are many stories in this frame. Some long, some short, all but one personal and than one is an imo hilarious horologic piece of history

Nice Folex you 'created' there.
    You say you don't want one or the image.

So why the blatant homage to the real thing?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    So why the blatant homage to the real thing?
    Like an homage inherently signifies that one would want the origial, but that is TOTALLY beside the point of this watch.

You simply don´t get it preacher Rob; neither that I wánt NO R-sub nor that this is an homage to mé and my horse stuff with the wis thing as pun.
    She chose the sub homage becaúse I don´t want one It is simpy good fun between the lady and me but you appearantly missed the story.
    As I wrote earlier; tant pis.
    Also where there is no will there is no any-way.
    Obviously that´s ok with me although I would have prefered for you to have seen the fun in it; a watch júst as fun as the topic title reads.

thread resurrection!

I'm really starting to want one of these!

The prs82 was supposed to scratch that itch!!

I suppose it beats trying to find a MKII Kingston and paying big bucks, or buying a Steinhart O1V and praying it actually fits on my wrist! (Or just biting the bullet and getting a Tudor BB!!)

My main issue would what the hell to get printed on the dial!

[Damn 1st world problems!)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My main issue would what the hell to get printed on the dial!
    I had opened a different thread on thát ;-)

One option is to leave it standard; uncluttered.
    The other extreme is to fill it up at 12 and 6 as we are most accustomed to.

After two months now, I am even more content with the watch and especially the printing. It réally is quite a joy to look at the dial and the watch is suiteable for anything generic, although I reserve it for going out with the giver.

The thing I would advise agaínst it to put the manufacturers name on it. ´HelenaRou´ would create a tactical disadvantage with telling the truth about this creating anóther*. Better nothing than thát.

It comes on a RAF type strap which will probably fit.
    The after market bracelet I fitted is none too long. It fits my 7,5 inch wrist júst a bit loose the way I like it.
    If you have a larges wrist make sure you source a longer one.

* for those who do not get this;
    1. If you spouse, gf or any date would happen to notice, they would at best be miffed about it.
    2. If you would be asked about it, not a single one would believe that it is the manufacturer so that would earn you serious negative points.
    3. Showing the invoice would get you an even bigger as ´you could have bought two nice Fossil watches instead of that óne wannabeethingamy´... and you could.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 30th December 2013 at 23:27.

I had opened a different thread on thát ;-)

One option is to leave it standard; uncluttered.
    The other extreme is to fill it up at 12 and 6 as we are most accustomed to.

The thing I would advise agaínst it to put the manufacturers name on it. ´HelenaRou´ would create a tactical disadvantage with telling the truth about this creating anóther*. Better nothing than thát.

* for those who do not get this;
    1. If you spouse, gf or any date would happen to notice, they would at best be miffed about it.
    2. If you would be asked about it, not a single one would believe that it is the manufacturer so that would earn you serious negative points.
    3. Showing the invoice would get you an even bigger as ´you could have bought two nice Fossil watches instead of that óne wannabeethingamy´... and you could.
    Indeed, a wear time lifetime of "who's Helen" I can live without :D

I'm gravitating to 12 & 6 (yes, I know, I know)

6 can be 150m / 500 ft (well 492, but hey we all like a round number)

12... A literal figurative blank!! A logo perhaps? My company's initials*? Perhaps something left of centre from the Ian Fleming universe?

This is perhaps the fun and the charm!

*yes I know that's what you did