closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what under £1k dress watch?

Craftsman

what under £1k dress watch?

Hi Guys,

As per title, my 30th is coming up next year and I may just be asking the missus for a new watch, I am thinking nice leather strap, classic timeless look to wear on nights out and meals etc.

Can anyone suggest or even better show pictures of quality watches below the £1k mark.

Thanks

Dan.

Craftsman
    Junghans Max Bill......possibly chronoscope.

Craftsman
    Thanks for so many lovely examples there, the longines is beautiful..

I shall do some research.

Dan.

Journeyman
    There are many very nice vintage dress watches to be picked up for under your budget and comfortably so to factor in a service.

I would advise the best 50's or 60's Omega Constellation that you can find. There are lots of variations of dial and case and most of the designs are timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    Hi Guys,

As per title, my 30th is coming up next year and I may just be asking the missus for a new watch, I am thinking nice leather strap, classic timeless look to wear on nights out and meals etc.

Can anyone suggest or even better show pictures of quality watches below the £1k mark.

Thanks

Dan.
    You may find something here. Nice brand.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...qid=1381781617

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...or-882492.html

A vintage lecoultre, omega or even a Rolex would fit the bill

You can still get a brand new Nomos with their hand-wound movement for around £1000.

The perfect dress watch with no complications other than sub dial seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    You can still get a brand new Nomos with their hand-wound movement for around £1000.

The perfect dress watch with no complications other than sub dial seconds.

The only Nomos for a grand is the club with no display back. The image you have is for one a lot more.

The only other option would be to wait for a sale but there are no more Nomos watches for under a grand.

Try the Stowa antea KS for about £600 or Longines heritage conquest for £720

Master
    Very nearly bought this myself a few times as I reckon it's a bargain. Unfortunately I just don't need or will really wear a dress watch. http://www.fitzroviawatches.co.uk/Al...0Auto%20Watch/

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    The only Nomos for a grand is the club with no display back. The image you have is for one a lot more.

The only other option would be to wait for a sale but there are no more Nomos watches for under a grand.

Try the Stowa antea KS for about £600 or Longines heritage conquest for £720
    Apologies... recently gone up from £1100 - http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watches/manual-winding/

Still 10% haggle room may be available.

Craftsman
    Some really lovely watches here chaps from brands I have not ever heard of too.

Keep them coming... Birthday not until next march so have lots of time to do my research but this is a great start.

Thanks again.

Dan.

Stowa Marine?

Longines master.

The Baume & Mercier Classima Executive on SC at the moment. I don't know the seller and have not dealt with them but lovely watch with modern overtones in a classic style.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Longines Master Collection if it has to be new. I think the one I bought is around the grand mark now

If you don't mind used there really is only one answer (IMO)

Craftsman
    Wow, what is the Rolex and were can they be had for under a grand? Stunning. Just what I would like.

Wow, what is the Rolex and were can they be had for under a grand? Stunning. Just what I would like.
    (Rolex is an Air King)

How about posting a wanted to buy? Someone on the forum may have one :)

Using ebay as a reference you will probably find a few Rolex close to your budget, or some on budget that need work.

Bottom line is that, if that is what you want, then you owe it to yourself to find a few more ££'s and get it done! This sounds like it will be a keeper so it should be perfect, right?!

You wouldn't have a problem picking up a nearly new Nomos Tangente or Orion (which is a perfect dress watch) for under £1k

Blog Entries
    I'm a fan of Eberhard... Look 'em up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I'm a fan of Eberhard... Look 'em up

Would you say that's a dress watch though?

Craftsman
    Not really my cup of tea that wolfie, although I can see why some would like it.

If you dont mind pre-owned, this Nomos is a cracker - http://www.stewartswatches.co.uk/Pre...ches/Nomos/278

Under a grand, dress watch, in-house calibre- poifect

Craftsman
    If you want something new, what about a Tissot Visodate Heritage? I think that is well within your budget.

Otherwise, I would go for a vintage Omega or vintage Longines. My three were all well under 1k.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    If you dont mind pre-owned, this Nomos is a cracker - http://www.stewartswatches.co.uk/Pre...ches/Nomos/278

Under a grand, dress watch, in-house calibre- poifect
    And as someone who got one of these new (albeit with black dial) I would certainly recommend it, especially if you are getting it under 1,000.

Longines:

Tissot Visodate?
    Last edited by Tam; 15th October 2013 at 14:32. Reason: Sorry, that pic is huge, but no idea how to resize.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    If you don't mind used there really is only one answer (IMO)

Lovely but likely to be £1400++ in good condition.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 15th October 2013 at 14:50.

Craftsman
    Done a bit of window shopping today in Liverpool and must say, never heard of Frederique Constant but I did see some stunning dress watches from that brand, also a couple of lovely longines pieces.

Seen one or two Raymond Weils and Bulovas, I don't see them two particular brands mentioned on this forum so I presume they are not as well respected as the other two brands I have mentioned.

Cheers for all the help.

Dan.

SARB072

Half of the budget left over too.

Craftsman
    Very nice Seiko. Seems there is lots of choice out there.

Journeyman
    Reissue Hamilton Thin-O-Matic is my go-to dress watch. 30s deco styling is clean and versatile, the best ETA time-keeper I have (+/-3), and I just love saying the name....

I prefer the more traditional 36mm version, but the 42mm is also an option, as well as black or white dials, leather, croc, or metal bracelets.

The base 36mm w/leather can be had for under $600.

Master
    Seen one or two Raymond Weils and Bulovas, I don't see them two particular brands mentioned on this forum so I presume they are not as well respected as the other two brands I have mentioned.
    I look upon RW in a similar vein to Hilfiger/BOSS/Armani – nice to look at, but nothing to write home about, and not a real watch; more a fashion accessory.
    Bulova have a long history of watchmaking and innovative technology, and are now under Citizen ownership – they don't cater for the £1K market, nor classic elegance.

Staying on the Hamilton theme, how about the Viewmatic? Well under budget, too.

Photo by Comatox

Journeyman
    I believe I'm a "matic" fan...love the band as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Staying on the Hamilton theme, how about the Viewmatic? Well under budget, too.

Photo by Comatox

Craftsman
    Another Hamilton option - Jazzmaster Slim Petite Seconde:

Or another Seiko - the SARB 065, you'd need to import from Japan I believe but plenty of change from your budget:

Craftsman
    Another stunning watch, just my type of dress watch.

Are all of these watches similar quality, in terms of movements and materials used?

Grand Master
    Hi Guys,

Thanks

Dan.
    Strong argument for buying a nice vintage watch. If it's only going to be an occasional wearer, the timekeeping doesn`t have to be spot-on, although a well-serviced vintage watch should run to a few seconds/day. Also, a watch bought at the right price won`t depreciate, which is a point well worth considering.

Paul

Master
    I have the Hamilton intra matic.. It's available in 42mm and 38mm silver and black faces.. One with gold indices too... Got mine in Singapore, black face 42mm..

It's so thin it fits under any cuff and it's movement as been keeping time to plus 2 seconds a day for a year now.. Can't be too unhappy with that, especially considering the deal I got at the time it cost me 500 quid new and I got a wicked goodie bag, umbrella hat and shirt with Hamilton heritage watches on, and another air race cap and a mug!
    Last edited by Macca; 15th October 2013 at 18:54.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    I look upon RW in a similar vein to Hilfiger/BOSS/Armani – nice to look at, but nothing to write home about, and not a real watch; more a fashion accessory.
    Bulova have a long history of watchmaking and innovative technology, and are now under Citizen ownership – they don't cater for the £1K market, nor classic elegance.
    I'm not a massive fan of Raymond Weil, but I think you are doing the brand a great disservice by bracketing them in with fashion brands. Raymond Weil are watchmakers, not clothes designers who have branched out.

Journeyman
    I agree a vintage would be a great idea, potentially much more in the way of sentimental value. Perhaps another thread, but what would you recommend? A vintage can be tricky territory for us nubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Strong argument for buying a nice vintage watch. If it's only going to be an occasional wearer, the timekeeping doesn`t have to be spot-on, although a well-serviced vintage watch should run to a few seconds/day. Also, a watch bought at the right price won`t depreciate, which is a point well worth considering.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil0886 View Post
    Or another Seiko - the SARB 065, you'd need to import from Japan I believe but plenty of change from your budget
    One of my links above is for the Cocktail Time, and it doesn't have to come from Japan as Seiko Germany bring them in officially – albeit at a higher RRP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rano85 View Post
    I'm not a massive fan of Raymond Weil, but I think you are doing the brand a great disservice by bracketing them in with fashion brands. Raymond Weil are watchmakers, not clothes designers who have branched out.
    Perhaps I am, but that's my impression of them, for whatever reason.
    Don't find myself inclined to research their history, as they've never appealed – so that could be the reason why I've a skewed perception of who they are.

Done a bit of window shopping today in Liverpool and must say, never heard of Frederique Constant but I did see some stunning dress watches from that brand, also a couple of lovely longines pieces.

Cheers for all the help.

Dan.
    Frederique Constant is a family owned watch maker (so is raymond Weil) in the grand price bracket both are respectable dress watch makers and both make an excellent dress watch for the money.If you do buy either a FC or raymond weil dont pay full price .

Courtesy of another post on here I'd say EJ have a few tempting dress watches, http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstor...k+strap+watch/ is quite nice as is the Trainmaster. Equally there are some nice Bulova and ML http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstor...racelet+watch/. The Frederic Constants have always appealed to me, nicely made stylish watches, EJ have a couple of those on offer too.

However I will mention re-sale, if thats an issue then your best bet is to get something nice and Vintage.

Good luck with your quest.

Longines looks a peach, how much is RRP ?

Master
    Fwiw frederique constant make an In house movement I believe which lifts them above Raymond Weil IMO

Craftsman
    Really nice watch that, is the automatic movement of good quality?

Seems rather cheap for what it is?

Dan.

Really nice watch that, is the automatic movement of good quality?

Seems rather cheap for what it is?

Dan.
    I would go for this one
    http://www.mappinandwebb.com/Longine...ch/p/17350492/

with 20% off should almost be in budget ,its stunning in real life