closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake watches....

Craftsman

Fake watches....

Hello Chaps,

Since buying my first expensive watch a couple of weeks back, I can't beleive how many people say to me is that fake?

I am just curios, do other forum members get asked this question as well or is it because I earn 30 odd K a year people don't expect someone on this type of salary to wear a luxury watch. (PO 8500).

One cheeky bugger even said why did you waste all that money when the fakes look exactly the same!

I highly doubted the fakes did look exactly the same so I did a bit if googling and there looks like there are some high quality fake watches out there. Anyway, this has annoyed me and just thought I would share it with you fellow watch enthusiasts.

Kind regards.

Dan.

Blog Entries
    There are high quality fakes of every well known brand, even Sinn watches are copied.

As long as you know it's real, who cares?

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    Hello Chaps,

Since buying my first expensive watch a couple of weeks back, I can't beleive how many people say to me is that fake?

I am just curios, do other forum members get asked this question as well or is it because I earn 30 odd K a year people don't expect someone on this type of salary to wear a luxury watch. (PO 8500).

One cheeky bugger even said why did you waste all that money when the fakes look exactly the same!

I highly doubted the fakes did look exactly the same so I did a bit if googling and there looks like there are some high quality fake watches out there. Anyway, this has annoyed me and just thought I would share it with you fellow watch enthusiasts.

Kind regards.

Dan.
    Don't let it annoy you, just rise above it. buying an 'expensive' watch should not just be solely about the price it's about a whole factor of reason's of why you bought it, some of which may be personal to you. They obviously don't get that.

What does it matter what someone else thinks about your watch?

There are no high quality fakes of the Omega 8500 watches that I have seen so far, and there are very very few high quality fakes full stop.

You like your watch, enjoy it. It is a nice watch.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    There are fakes that are almost impossible to tell the difference with.

One will hold its value better.

Master
    In answer to the OP, no I have never been asked this. You clearly know some cheeky people! You will just have to assume they can't believe how nice your watch is, and take it as a compliment.

Or else you could ask them if their hair is fake.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post

Probably the one that's almost impossible to tell from the real thing and costs a tenth of the price then

If on the very rare chance I was asked if it was a fake, or accused of having a fake I would ask them 'how do they know it is a fake?' or 'show me why you think it is a fake?'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    There are no high quality fakes of the Omega 8500 watches that I have seen so far.....
    They're out there - this was posted on WUS this week. Check out the date window location in comparison to the original:

I can't believe how many people say to me is that fake?
    ...That's what she said! ha ha :)

Anyway, no--I don't have watches expensive enough to be asked. I did get asked how much my Seiko 5 cost when I was being frisked by a security man at Prague airport. I don't think he thought it was fake though. He turned his nose up at it when I told him £60.

Of course there are - but they are, comparatively speaking, few and far between - and will always be a fake watch. Look on the fake sites and they go into great detail about how they spend quite a bit of cash putting real parts on their fake watches to make them look real - due to the high level of personal resource required to make these look like the real thing - they are not really in the same league as 99.9% of fake watches and really do skew perception - for the most part, fake watches are absolute crap and easy to tell apart from the real thing to a casual enthusiast.
    It's just a matter of time...

We all spend a lot of money on this passion for watches and those people who don't share our watch passion don't understand why, therefore to them it's a waste of money. I have over 1000 aviation and space books in my study. Over the years I've spent a lot of money on them. Friends who have no interest in aviation think I'm slightly mad, but it was a collection started by my late father many years ago and the books give me immense pleasure. Same with the watches. I get a lot of pleasure from my watches and I'm sure you do too, so ignore the cheeky comments.

The one which always got on my nerves after my first major watch purchase was "my Casio is more accurate than your Breitling and it was only thirty quid". I've heard that comment so many times now I just ignore it. Deep down I know they're missing the point, but it's not worth trying to explain it!

Master
    This is why I have a Sub, 80% of people would assume it is a fake and leave me alone....

Craftsman
    One major reason I sold my Rolex Sub ND was the amount of fake Rolex's that people wear here at work. We have a manufacturing plant of in Malaysia so they come back with all sorts of crap! Thankfully they are the poor fakes and most of them only last a few months so they're certainly not the sort of thing that's sold on ebay to mislead like the Omega PO pictured above.

I really don't agree with the fakes that cost 350 ish euros as they're too damn good

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That is not interely correct regardsless of which one you refer to.

As to the OT, he raises an interesting point.

A given is that the vast majority people cannot distinguish a fake from a real one and also only recognise a very limited number of brands, mostly from advertisements in magazines they read in the waiting room or so.

Also, just as a brand image reflects on the wearer (wis fora excepted ofcourse), the context reflects on the watch.
    Wear a golden watch off rich people reserve and it is assumed to be not 18k.

Ditto people.
    A lover of mine is a bit of a VIP and member of an olympic comittee and although she wears anything that pleases her eye, the people around her will assume it is custom made or genuine whichever it is.
    Same applies to the inverse.

A lót of luxury watch buyers obviously care as the image thing is after all the reason of existence for luxury brands but as wis on fora are keen to maintain; théy don´t so.... bugger all OT; just enjoy the watch.
    You might probably even want to confirm it is a fake, deny it being real.

Journeyman
    I spend a lot of time in China and have been to the fake watch stores and could buy a copy of any Rolex, Tag, or breitling for around $50. Actually all of my friends buying fake ones is what got me interested in buying a real luxury watch. Everyone assumes mine is fake since they know I'm in China so much, but I know it's real. I'll took some pics of fake Breitlings last time I was there I'll post them when I get a chance.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartC View Post

I really don't agree with the fakes that cost 350 ish euros as they're too damn good
    I don´t quite understand what you write/mean/imply here.

You are not ok with góód fakes because they are so good at a fraction of the price thus proving you wrong?
    Ok with bad ones because they are bad so in effect dear thus proving you right?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernouls View Post
    I spend a lot of time in China and have been to the fake watch stores and could buy a copy of any Rolex, Tag, or breitling for around $50. Actually all of my friends buying fake ones is what got me interested in buying a real luxury watch. Everyone assumes mine is fake since they know I'm in China so much, but I know it's real. I'll took some pics of fake Breitlings last time I was there I'll post them when I get a chance.
    I totally get that.
    Thanks for sharing this thought.

I would enjoy your fotos.

We could all buy fakes and call it a day, but that's hardly the point!

I don't think it matters how much you earn if you want something enough, it can go on a bigger house or a new car or, indeed, a watch You can have anything you want in life, just not everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    As to the OT, he raises an interesting point.
    The Original Toaster?

Fake shmake. I have no interest in what others think.

The greatest feeling is having a conversation with someone about your watch. Not bashing it or asking if it's real, but just both sharing buying and wearing experiences of brands - a bit like this forum. People who think your watch is fake are probably more nosey than interested. It's sometimes easier to say yes and walk away.

Journeyman
    Here are some pics of fake Breitlings.Breitling 1.JPGBreitling 2.jpg

I totally get that.

Journeyman
    Another Breitling and a Rolex my co-worker bought. Breitling 3.jpgAttachment 4849

I totally get that.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bernouls; 17th October 2013 at 13:53.

Journeyman
    OOPS! That was a picture of my Breitling, not the fake Rolex. Here's the right pic.
    Rolex1.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Bernouls View Post
    Another Breitling and a Rolex my co-worker bought. Breitling 3.jpgAttachment 4849

Craftsman
    This has turned out to be a great debate. I am sure you can get near perfect copies, the Chinese seem to be masters of this. I went to turkey on holiday this year and there were high quality jewelry shops, fully air conditioned and very well decorated with proper glass cabinets, just as good as David M Robinson or Goldsmiths. These shops were litrally full of hundresds of customers buying fake watches and fake handbags all made in China, I went in to one or two but didn't take much notice of the watches to be honest my wife was having a nose at some handbags... We were told people go on holiday every year to buy replica watches and handbags.. Turkey's law must be much different from ours as we aren't talking back street flea markets here. Suppose what I am trying to say is there is a real market for fakes with real money to be made.

I just could not pretend something was real when its not, there is something really,really wrong about that.

Dan.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    The one which always got on my nerves after my first major watch purchase was "my Casio is more accurate than your Breitling and it was only thirty quid". I've heard that comment so many times now I just ignore it. Deep down I know they're missing the point, but it's not worth trying to explain it!
    Tell them that they've convinced you the Casio is better and you'd be interested in trading you watch for it. When they enthusiastically agree, you can just say 'Thought so' and walk off.

This has turned out to be a great debate. I am sure you can get near perfect copies, the Chinese seem to be masters of this. I went to turkey on holiday this year and there were high quality jewelry shops, fully air conditioned and very well decorated with proper glass cabinets, just as good as David M Robinson or Goldsmiths. These shops were litrally full of hundresds of customers buying fake watches and fake handbags all made in China, I went in to one or two but didn't take much notice of the watches to be honest my wife was having a nose at some handbags... We were told people go on holiday every year to buy replica watches and handbags.. Turkey's law must be much different from ours as we aren't talking back street flea markets here. Suppose what I am trying to say is there is a real market for fakes with real money to be made.

I just could not pretend something was real when its not, there is something really,really wrong about that.

Dan.
    if your wife buys fake handbags and her friends know then they might assume your watch is fake too.

I was with a colleague of mine this week and he wears a fake Tag chrono of some sort. We were talking about a client that I had passed over to him and he said that when he was in the contact mentioned my watch (I think I was wearing a vintage Datejust when I was in our meeting with the client) which I though was slightly strange as I've never, as far as I remember, had anyone mention my watches or talk to me about my watches excepting people who know me to be a watch enthusiast. Perhaps we are not aware that people notice these things.

Anyway, as he told me he started talking about his fake Tag saying about how wonderful it is as a real one costs £4.5k and this one is identical except the pushers didn't operate the chrono. In my mind that make it far from "identical" and make it a worthless piece of tat, but to him he was boasting about it as if it was a great timepiece and how he had saved £4450 on retail price. If I'm honest, I just sat there and kept my mouth shut, but it did make me question if he actually had a brain.

I don't understand the mentality of wearing a fake or any kind (watch, handbag etc) as I appreciate things for their quality rather than their image/label. You would not drive a fake BMW or buy fake Heinz beans because the performance / taste would be wrong, so why wear a Tag chrono where the chrono doesn't work?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    The Original Toaster?

Fake shmake. I have no interest in what others think.
    That is what most wis maintain when they share what the postman brought ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    if your wife buys fake handbags and her friends know then they might assume your watch is fake too.
    She was nosing around the shop as women do. Never bought one.

OP, you are obviously hanging around with the wrong kind of people.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    OP, you are obviously hanging around with the wrong kind of people.
    Hang on a bit mono man will be along shortly to justify reps sorry I meant fakes.
    paul.

Like a lot of people I have bought fake watches in the past, particularly a Rolex and a Panerai.
    Absolute rubbish and a total waste of money.

Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Tell them that they've convinced you the Casio is better and you'd be interested in trading you watch for it. When they enthusiastically agree, you can just say 'Thought so' and walk off.
    That's a brilliant idea, nice one! I'm going to try that next time.

You must have some fairly cheeky friends. To be fair, I can't grasp why friends spend loads on their hair/nails/kids, so the confusion is a two-way thing.

Craftsman
    Cheeky gets pay thousands of pounds for their season tickets and watching fooltball matches too...

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

As long as you know it's real, who cares?

Daddel.
    Completely agree with that, plus the vast majority of people don't notice what watch is being worn.

I have only ever had this with Rolex with a friend asking me if it was real (was also just back from abroad to be fair) - I was quite offended at the time - most people I hang out with know me and know I wouldn't want a fake also most of my watches aren't that typical such as Rolex so although am sure fakes are made are less common. I can see the workplace being a bit different with a wider range of people than your friends - still a good incentive to buy a JLC !

Master
    I would just say yes, that's what I say when folk say "is that real" and it doesn't bother me, I wear the watch for me not for what others think.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It will cost a top watch manufacturer less than a 10th of the RRP to make the watch. With the dealer taking their cut and the cost of marketing the watch. I would guess that a a £5k watch will cost around £500 to make.

So the gap between the two is a lot smaller if you take out the fact that the fake manufacturer wont pay Tiger Woods to wear it and wont pay a dealer to sell it.

I had that from a load of people when I bought a GMT2c in 2008. I showed it to the chap who introduced me to this place and a month or two later he and his wife came back from Thailand or Hong Kong or somewhere and were telling me how I'd wasted my money on the Rolex and they could have bought perfectly good fakes for $50 or whatever.

I assume some people are just jealous of the fact others can afford to spend good money on a watch. Whether they see that as you trying to be ostentatious or not I don't really know. I just said yes to anyone who asked me if it was a fake. I don't care what they think. It's broadly similar to people telling me I drive a hairdresser's car because I have an MX-5. The last person to inform me of this - I'm sure he thought he was the first person to say it too - drives a knackered Rover 25.

If it bothers you though, buy a Tudor Sub. I've not had a single comment on that one, I think everyone assumes it's a fake Rolex, if they can even recognise the design in the first place.
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Like a lot of people I have bought fake watches in the past, particularly a Rolex and a Panerai.
    Absolute rubbish and a total waste of money.

Never again.
    You having bought rubbish fakes is not proof of all fakes being bad watches.
    Apart form the rubbish fake branding some are VERY good watches in their own right.

It is just that hords op people are prepaired to pay more for fake branding than for the same watch under its own name.
    That is the reason of existance.
    This does not say rubbish watches but rubbish buyers.

Another is the rubbish margin and brand desireability which motivates people to buy fakes and makes it more lucrative to make very good watches with fake branding.

Anyway. It is only an issue when you care.
    I admit I care to some extent and that my choices are also influenced by how I want to be perceived by some people.

Journeyman
    Apart form the rubbish fake branding some are VERY good watches in their own right.

True, very true.

The chinese can make anything. I was on my way from the airport a few years back and I saw a new (facelift) BMW X5 and they weren't even out yet. Yes they had repped a flippin' car! Makes copying a Panerai seem like nothing.
    Last edited by muffle; 17th October 2013 at 16:10.

It is just that hords op people are prepaired to pay more for fake branding than for the same watch under its own name.
    That is the reason of existance.
    This does not say rubbish watches but rubbish buyers.

Another is the rubbish margin and brand desireability which motivates people to buy fakes and makes it more lucrative to make very good watches with fake branding.

I admit I care to some extent and that my choices are also influenced by how I want to be perceived by some people.

On a visit to Turkey a few years ago I saw better quality, more expensive fakes. Sure enough they looked very good and doubtless were pretty good. But when you pay extra for a good fake it should make you think what's the point?
    And to be sure... Any real retained value is in the real thing.

Yes I am aware some fakes are better than others. I think the ones I bought were real cheapies, - just for fun.
    Which is OK, I didn't expect much from them.

And that is very true.

My wife says I am the scruffiest Managing Director she has ever seen. Yes I do tend to go to my office wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I make a bit more effort when I am meeting customers, but then I expect my shirt is hanging out or something.

But when I am wearing my Rolex or Grand Seiko I feel smart.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    On a visit to Turkey a few years ago I saw better quality, more expensive fakes. Sure enough they looked very good and doubtless were pretty good. But when you pay extra for a good fake it should make you think what's the point?
    And to be sure... Any real retained value is in the real thing.

Yes I am aware some fakes are better than others. I think the ones I bought were real cheapies, - just for fun.
    Which is OK, I didn't expect much from them.

Buying a cheap one just buys you fake image.
    Buying a better made fake buys you a good watch too.
    The next step ´up´ is buying a good homage with no or legal branding.
    Whether buying genuine Veblen is another step ´up´ is open to discussion imo*.

* please be aware that I am NOT implying that the real thing is not better; I am refering to the perceived added value of luxury branding (Swiss or other).

The next step ´up´ is buying a good homage with no or legal branding.
    While in Turkey I saw what looked to me like very real Rolex Day/Date and others in a jewelers for prices about 1/3 of a real Rolex.
    When I asked about them and got a hands on look, they were gorgeous, - 18k Gold exact replicas but with no branding.

Master
    I must live in a different world........ In 20 odd years of wearing nice watches, I'm yet to recieve a comment of any type, positive or negative on any watch on my wrist......

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I must live in a different world........ In 20 odd years of wearing nice watches, I'm yet to recieve a comment of any type, positive or negative on any watch on my wrist......
    Yeah, when I go home to my little home town "in the country" no one looks at my watches, but in my work in the City there are so many Rolexes, Omegas. People just seem to get them because they think that's what they should be wearing though. They have no real idea about watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    ......so why wear a Tag chrono where the chrono doesn't work?
    Because he wanted the look and was prepared to accept that for the price, it was all about the looks, not the functionality – especially as he is unlikely to ever use the chrono function to time anything.
    So in his eyes, it does the job intended – it looks the part to him and most other people who care to notice.