closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a watch for my nephew's 18th

Buying a watch for my nephew's 18th

I knew right away I wanted to get him a watch, and his mom confirms he likes watches. First thought is an SKX007. He likes doing outdoor stuff, and it's always been my idea of the ultimate auto beater. I don't want to buy him anything trendy (although I'm going to throw in a handful of NATOs). A G-Shock would ultimately be the most sensible, but I like the idea of buying him an automatic watch.

Anything I'm overlooking in that general category and price range?

Thanks,

Dave

Master
    Divex 200m. Cheap as chips but with Seiko build quality and reliability.

I loved mine!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...YzCGg#imgdii=_

Mike

Orient Mako of some sort? Lots here: http://www.seriouswatches.com/orient...t.html#/page/1

18th = PRS-18A

Master
    The 007 is an excellent choice. The monster is also worth a look for just a few quid more. http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...779k3-816.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    18th = PRS-18A
    Second that. Excellent suggestion

Master
    He's 18 not 48

If he does like the outdoors get him a Casio protrek, compass, thermometer, altimeter....... The list goes on.

I appreciate where you are coming from in terms of auto watches but I'd try and establish what style of watch he likes before throwing money at what you, or anyone else for that matter might think is an appropriate gift.

Good luck and whatever you decide I hope he likes it and wears it all the time

Paul

18 maybe start maybe start with an auto seiko

Last edited by studly; 16th October 2013 at 22:06.

Is he well built? Have big wrists or skinny?

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Is he well built? Have big wrists or skinny?
    He's a big guy. Plays (American) football.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    He's 18 not 48

If he does like the outdoors get him a Casio protrek, compass, thermometer, altimeter....... The list goes on.

I appreciate where you are coming from in terms of auto watches but I'd try and establish what style of watch he likes before throwing money at what you, or anyone else for that matter might think is an appropriate gift.

Good luck and whatever you decide I hope he likes it and wears it all the time

Paul
    I'd say, he's 18, not 12, in response to that.

A watch like that might appeal today, but will less so in years to come, but I would agree it's a gamble to buy anything expensive as he might just not appreciate (or like!) what you do.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Its likely he won't appreciate a Seiko or an Orient. Whilst good value for money and practical, thats not what a teenager will be thinking of when buying a watch.

He'll be thinking more along the lines of TW Steel, Invictia, Ted Baker and what other big and garish fashion brands that are out of there.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

A watch like that might appeal today, but will less so in years to come, but I would agree it's a gamble to buy anything expensive as he might just not appreciate (or like!) what you do.

M.
    If we were talking about spending thousands here, then I would agree that "long term" would be important. But since I think the budget here is around sub-£150 I would be inclined to get him something that would provide him with instant gratification.

If he is a big lad and sporty, I think he would appreciate a G-Shock or something along those lines. And if you're an active person, you will never outrgrow a G-Shock. There will always be a use for it.

Again, thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I've given it a lot of thought and while yes, he might choose a different watch for himself, he already has a few. I want to be the uncle who bought him a "real" watch, even if it takes him a while to appreciate what that means. (Also, his grandfather is into watches and his dad has a Yachtmaster, so he's already predisposed to appreciate an automatic.)

Maybe he'll wear it occasionally, maybe he'll love it, maybe he'll come to like it later, but I know he will appreciate it and keep it, because he's that kind of kid.

Buying a watch for my nephew's 18th

I guess so, but I've a watch my dad bought me for my 21st. I don't believe it was very expensive, but it's an automatic dress watch and I still cherish it.

I wore it when i got married and when my dad retired.

I know a quartz digital from that era would have been long lost...

M

Ps reply was to post before last
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I guess so, but I've a watch my dad bought me for my 21st. I don't believe it was very expensive, but it's an automatic dress watch and I still cherish it.

I wore it when i got married and when my dad retired.

I know a quartz digital from that era would have been long lost...

M

Ps reply was to post before last
    Thanks! Exactly my thoughts.

Journeyman
    I would have loved a PRS-18Q for my 18th. In fact I'd like one now!

Master
    My parents bought me a brief-case for my 18th birthday. Any watch would have been better than that...

Quote Originally Posted by muffle View Post
    I would have loved a PRS-18Q for my 18th. In fact I'd like one now!
    I love the idea but it's more than I want to spend.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dbt001 View Post
    I love the idea but it's more than I want to spend.
    How about that nice Pulsar Miltary Chronograph - £60? It's super value for money, looks incredible for the money....

Master
    Get a certina or tissot. Seiko wont be able to service anything past ten years so its a really bad choice for what might become a sentimentally important watch.

How about: link...more here: link.

But read this thread (link) before you order.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Get a certina or tissot. Seiko wont be able to service anything past ten years so its a really bad choice for what might become a sentimentally important watch.
    Good point but I've already ordered an SKX007 from Amazon. As many of them as are about, I'll trust the aftermarket will come up with parts and service solutions.

Craftsman
    I think you are confusing your Seiko with your Grand Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by mav66 View Post
    I think you are confusing your Seiko with your Grand Seiko.
    I think you are confusing scaremongering with reality...

Master

M.

How many 18 year olds do you see with a watch on that isn't either a piece of crap fashion watch or something from Casio? not many generally. The majority of the younger generation use their phones to tell the time. There are of course a very small percentage who do 'get' the whole watch thing and will aspire to own something automatic but would most likely scrunch their nose up at the suggestion of an Orient unfortunately.

All my kids have G-Shocks / Baby 'G's but only because they are too young for a phone. However they are not 18, generally an 18 year old will have had a mobile phone, a watch or two and will usually either just see them as a 'thing' to tell the time or less frequently fall in to the young WIS category.

I'm generalising of course but your comment made me smile on the basis that the OP had stated his nephew was an 'outdoors / sporting' type of person, whenever I have been around people who are really in to outdoors activities they have a watch that in some way is aligned to that activity. Whether it be a Suunto, Casio G-Shock, Casio Protrek etc etc.

Ultimately the OP will be best placed to establish what his nephew may actually be inclined to use / wear and who knows, it might be the catalyst for another WIS starting a long and expensive journey of buying and selling lots of watches until they truly define what works for them and what doesn't. Alternatively he might not want a watch at all.

Will be interested to see what the OP does buy his Nephew in the end

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I think you are confusing scaremongering with reality...
    The reality for me, is I own several 40+ year old Seikos, and I have never had any trouble getting them serviced.

Will be interested to see what the OP does buy his Nephew in the end
    Check out post #18 above. After considering all the helpful suggestions, I went with my original inclination to buy him the Seiko, and outlined my reasons in #18.

Thanks again, all.

Master

M.
    Check out post #18 above. After considering all the helpful suggestions, I went with my original inclination to buy him the Seiko, and outlined my reasons in #18.

Thanks again, all.
    Sorry, completely missed that.

Sounds like he is on the road to WiSdom given his father and grandfather obviously like, or, are in to watches :-)

Your Nephew sounds like a very sensible young man so I'm sure he'll be appreciative of the thought you have given to his 18th B-day present.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mav66 View Post
    The reality for me, is I own several 40+ year old Seikos, and I have never had any trouble getting them serviced.
    No trouble at all sourcing new crystal gaskets, crowns, caseback gaskets, crystal if needed, mainspring, wheels etc?? Where were these parts sourced from if i may ask?

Master
    Is there a real risk of recommending what we like or think he would like , rather than looking at what 18 yr olds think is cool?

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Is there a real risk of recommending what we like or think he would like , rather than looking at what 18 yr olds think is cool?
    Good point, and several people pointed it out earlier. I decided to buy him the Seiko, and explained why in post #18 above.

Sorry, completely missed that.

Sounds like he is on the road to WiSdom given his father and grandfather obviously like, or, are in to watches :-)

Your Nephew sounds like a very sensible young man so I'm sure he'll be appreciative of the thought you have given to his 18th B-day present.

Paul
    I hope so. I also ordered him a spring bar tool and a handful of NATOs and Zulus. All in about $200, so not cheap, but not the end of the world if he doesn't cotton to it.

Plus, we live 2000 miles away from him, so I'll probably never know either way. (He's courteous enough that I think he'll at least put it on for holidays).

Craftsman
    No trouble at all sourcing new crystal gaskets, crowns, caseback gaskets, crystal if needed, mainspring, wheels etc?? Where were these parts sourced from if i may ask?
    I didnt say I serviced them myself. You would be better off asking that question to some of the skilled watchmakers on here, who have done some fantastic work on old Seikos. All i know is I own a 6105 form 1970,
    and its running like a dream. However, according to you, you cant get parts for them once they are ten years old.

Journeyman
    True, but I would submit what an 18-yr old thinks is cool may very well be just sad in a matter of months, much less be a prized possession for years to come.
    Good point, and several people pointed it out earlier. I decided to buy him the Seiko, and explained why in post #18 above.

Craftsman
    Good point but I've already ordered an SKX007 from Amazon. As many of them as are about, I'll trust the aftermarket will come up with parts and service solutions.
    Thats an excellent choice and i'm sure he will love it. If it had Swiss made on the dial there are people on this forum who would spend ten times as much on it.