closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: West Ham and the Olympic stadium.

West Ham and the Olympic stadium.

Evening Gent's,

I've never really been into football but youngest son's an avid West Ham supporter so I took him to the second game of the season..... Thoroughly enjoyed the day out/Father & Son time and before you know it I've bought us season tickets!

So anyway, I'm aware that West Ham will be moving to the Olympic stadium (2016?) and I know the hardened supporters seem to be a bit 'anti' it but I was hoping to learn from more rational folk on her (yes really!) and hear the pro's and con's against it.

As a newbie-supporter my biggest concern is that if we continue getting the results we are currently, we could be very much 'League Two' by then and struggling to anything like fill the ground, but if the seats're comfy and the pukka-pies aren't nuked to the point of explosion then at least that'll be something eh?!?

One supporter told me that he thought season ticket holders would/should be offered freebie 'try your seats before you buy' games but does anyone else have any thoughts?

But any way COME ON YOU IRONS!! and thanks in advance or your input.....

Welcome to the world of uncertainty, disappointment and hope over expectation. My family are all season ticket holders at Brighton and Hove Albion, 12 years without a home until they built The Amex. A supporters lot is about whinging and moaning about their club along with a few high days, understand that and you will begin to love it. Great bonding with your son and other supporters awaits.

Craftsman
    Evening !

I haven`t been to Upton Park / The Boleyn since the 70`s but will have to visit before it becomes history.

Personally I would rather have a ground like your current home rather than a barn with a running track around which will rarely be full. I know they are trying to resolve the running track issue but its still going to a huge stadium. A proper club like West Ham deserves a proper football stadium

Unfortunately, football is more business than sport so the views of supporters, the atmosphere etc etc is well down the list of considerations for owners desperate to compete (stay) in the premier league.

If I sound a little disillusioned about the beautiful game put yourself in my position. I support Newcastle.... I could leave it there but will explain a little more. 48 - 52,000 every home game, fantastic stadium, no silverware since the 60`s, loyal supporters, an owner who (thankfully) saved the club from the brink, but who now is showing very little ambition other than staying in the Premier League. Even the Toon Army is losing hope!

In fact it makes me so sad I think I`ll have to go on Ebay and try to find a watch bargain

I've been a supporter for over 40 years, and the thought of leaving Upton Park fills me with dread. The ground has already lost a lot of atmosphere since the new stands were built, and moving to an anonymous bowl, surrounded by a running track isn't going to improve it. I also don't trust Sullivan/Gold/Brady or their motives for moving there. If/when it does happen I won't be going anymore.

Master
    It's wet sham, who cares.

Come on you Lions!

;)

I'm an Aston Villa supporter but really like Upton Park. The wife's family mostly support West Ham and so I get to go to watch a game or two every season, am off there to see the Villa match in November. The ground is excellent, with the fans almost on top of the pitch. The place has atmosphere, and not just from tens of thousands of supporters. I'm not so sure about the Olympic stadium but it can't be denied that the potential is huge. For the club to do really well and pull in lots of extra supporters or for matches there to be very quiet affairs if the team isn't doing well.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
    If I sound a little disillusioned about the beautiful game put yourself in my position. I support Newcastle.... I could leave it there but will explain a little more. 48 - 52,000 every home game, fantastic stadium, no silverware since the 60`s, loyal supporters, an owner who (thankfully) saved the club from the brink, but who now is showing very little ambition other than staying in the Premier League. Even the Toon Army is losing hope!
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself. I support Sheffield Wednesday.

Craftsman
    May be they could rename them as we'll, something snappy like the West Ham Warriors. Who cares about a hundred and odd years of tradition when there is money to be made.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself. I support Sheffield Wednesday.
    I have stopped feeling sorry for myself at the moment - just gone 2-0 up at Cardiff - There`s only one Mike Ashley!!

Just an hour to go - we could still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (again)

Wednesday - another proper, well supported club. What do you think of Milan Mandric - he`s done the rounds a bit hasn`t he

I'm a WHU supporter and none of my WH friends relish the idea of the Olympic stadium.

All those years of history down the Boleyn.

That said plenty of teams have been uprooted in recent years for the sake of big business.

It's the way football is going and I don't like it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Thanks for the input chaps and I believe you're all absolutely right and it's far more about the money than the game these days, but with prima-dona players demanding and being paid millions upon millions do the owners have any choice?

Still....
    Being a newb to the whole thing I just enjoy the day out and THRASHING SPURS is just an added bonus!!

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Being a newb to the whole thing I just enjoy the day out and THRASHING SPURS is just an added bonus!!
    Oh Yes!

Played their hugely expensive foreign team off the park.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Still in shock

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'm a WHU supporter and none of my WH friends relish the idea of the Olympic stadium.

All those years of history down the Boleyn.

That said plenty of teams have been uprooted in recent years for the sake of big business.

It's the way football is going and I don't like it.

I kind of agree, but living in Essex the convenience of the Olympic Stadium's location, potential for lower priced seats etc etc is more of a positive for me than history.

I won't miss the hour-long wait at Upton Park tube, or walk to Plaistow etc just to get home. Fine when you're with your mates, but with a kid in tow it would be miserable!

Why are you wasting your time and money watching a bunch of over paid prima donna's...

Get yourself down to your local non-league club and watch some real football! ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by ddw78 View Post
    Why are you wasting your time and money watching a bunch of over paid prima donna's...

Get yourself down to your local non-league club and watch some real football! ;o)
    Where you'll be fleeced to get in, have to tolerate a shabby stadium with no facilities and watch players who are less prima-donna and more doner kebab.

As an Arsenal fan I'd go back to Highbury in a heart beat given the chance, the new stadium might be bigger and better in many ways but it lacks.... soul and the new capacity seems to have been taken up by a terrible type of daytripper intent on recording their visit on their phone ipad or camera.

If only a major media company had the rights to record the match in HD and make it available in some way....

West Ham have this to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Where you'll be fleeced to get in, have to tolerate a shabby stadium with no facilities and watch players who are less prima-donna and more doner kebab.
    A shabby stadium with the character and 'soul' which you miss from Highbury?

Most non-league clubs I’ve visited have had pretty good facilities. A bar/club house - often within view of the pitch. They serve decent food/snacks which aren't over-priced and under-quality. Some even have flushing toilets! ;o)

You can stand/sit where you please, moving around the pitch at half time. You don't have stewards threatening to have you ejected from the stadium if you stand up for a better view of a corner kick.

You can talk to the players, managers and officials instead of waiting to hear their opinions on TV/Radio.

It costs me £13 for a ticket for myself and my son, including a free programme.

My local league club would cost from £25 + programme. My nearest premiership team would cost from £51 + programme.

Don't get me wrong. I watch plenty of live 'top league' games on Sky or BT. I've also been a season ticket holder at a club in the Premier League, Championship League 1 and League 1. I just prefer the non-league experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ddw78 View Post

I know what it's like, I followed my eldest son when he used to play non league.

Great when your son is involved, less so otherwise IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.