closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Air-King-Date - does this look right to you?

Craftsman

Rolex Air-King-Date - does this look right to you?

As some people here know, I'm looking for a good Air-King-Date.
    I've found this one and I've been in contact with the seller (it all seems to check out):
    http://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/air...-id2492003.htm

The only thing worrying me is the gap at the bottom between the end link and case. What do you think? Does it just need a replacement spring bar or am I imagining the gap?

Master
    What is the cost of a new spring bar? Factor that into your negotiations and I would think you will be fine.
    N.B as to the watch itself, I cannot advise one way or the other because I'm new to this game.

Craftsman
    The cost of the bar isn't really an issue (having checked it already).

I just want to make sure that it is the bar itself rather than a problem with the bracelet.

Craftsman
    Also, if it is a spring bar issue, is this what I need?

https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/wa...x-style#select

In the 19mm variety.

Many thanks for any and all thoughts on the matter.

Don't be silly, how could a worn springbar cause that gap?...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    This is why I'm looking for thoughts. I don't pretend to be especially knowledgeable.

I just thought that if it was bent it could cause that....

no way...maybe it's just the angle the photo has been taken?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My thoughts. If the watch is on sale with that photo and the problem could have been eliminated by the simple replacement of a spring bar, which I doubt, then I wouldn't want to deal with the seller. If the problem is much more than that, more likely, then I wouldn't want the watch.

Craftsman
    I hope so. That's the exact model I want and they're not all that common. I'm waiting for more photos from the seller. What do you think could cause it other than photography or the spring bar?

- - - Updated - - -

I hope so. That's the exact model I want and they're not all that common. I'm waiting for more photos from the seller. What do you think could cause it other than photography or the spring bar?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    My thoughts. If the watch is on sale with that photo and the problem could have been eliminated by the simple replacement of a spring bar, which I doubt, then I wouldn't want to deal with the seller. If the problem is much more than that, more likely, then I wouldn't want the watch.
    That's what I'm worrying about. But I've read fantastic reports about the seller on various worldwide forums, so I wanted a final opinion. I think I'll have to pass until I'm totally satisfied though.

Master
    Its bent and the tabs on the end links need to be adjusted that's all. Nice watch though good luck.
    Paul.

Craftsman
    I have seen this problem caused by springbars which are way too thin/small in diameter or not straight. They can allow the end link to move towards the bracelet on the axis created by the skinny or bent springbar and therefore away from the case so a gap can appear. Fitting a proper diameter springbar has fixed the issue. Just my experience - not a diagnosis of the concern raised here as I've not seen the watch

The bracelet isn't tight on the plastic stand that's being used.

It may be that the hollow end link has therefore slipped a bit due to the weight of the bracelet & would be OK when worn OR
    it may be that the rear of the end link needs a little bend to correctly seat itself towards the watch head.
    ______

​Jim.

I've just taken a photo of mine from an acute angle, it also looks as though there is a gap!

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the replies. If there are any others, please share them!

Grand Master
    Its the angle the pic was taken nothing more.

Grand Master
    Had several just the same,not to fret about.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 3rd October 2013 at 20:49.

Journeyman
    I used to have a riveted bracelet on my Rolex Oysterdate and it always looked like that. It is photographed standing up so it drops down a little. When it is on the wrist it pushes further forward and stays in place (most of the time)

I had the same problem with an old seiko. All I did was take the bracelet off and squeeze the end link tabs slightly so it gripped the case tighter. Hope that makes sense. In saying that the end links will be solid on the Rolex? WiIl still have the tabs though so that will probably fix it if it looks like that when worn.
    Last edited by Batteries Not Included; 3rd October 2013 at 20:22.

The gap is usually easily fixed as stated. A new spring bar and the tabs on the end piece adjusted is normally all the end piece needs. The top part of the end piece may need a little manipulation too, so that it sits flush on the case.

Some guys fit thin, non Rolex spring bars, so that doesn't help the position of the end piece.

Some original or non original spring bars can bend or flex, causing more movement of the spring bar end within their lugs holes. This can result in lug holes with a slightly wider diameter than they did when new. It is not that uncommon in vintage Rolex's, but adjusting the end piece (as stated previously) normally rectified the loose fitting end piece issue.
    Last edited by j111dja; 3rd October 2013 at 21:02.

Master
    Simply a case of a knackered end-link.

Quote Originally Posted by SplitSecond View Post
    Simply a case of a knackered end-link.
    Not necessarily.

Craftsman
    Here is mine from a similar angle.

And the gap.

As already said, it may be just the end link that needs adjusting.

Why don't you ask the seller?

Jim

Just read the seller's description. Was the "Air" collection really created to honor RAF pilots?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim: View Post
    Why don't you ask the seller?

Jim
    I'm sure he thought he might get an unbiased opinion by asking here.

Quote Originally Posted by dbt001 View Post
    I'm sure he thought he might get an unbiased opinion by asking here.
    He did say "I've read fantastic reports about the seller on various worldwide forums"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim: View Post
    He did say "I've read fantastic reports about the seller on various worldwide forums"
    Yes, you're right. And he had a question nonetheless, which several helpful people answered for him.

Yes, you're right. And he had a question nonetheless, which several helpful people answered for him.
    Surely it wouldn't hurt to get a response from the horse's mouth as well...?

Jim

Craftsman
    That kind of gap is the joy/problem of folded end links!

Craftsman
    Thank you everyone for the helpful replies. You really have reassured me. I'll keep this thread updated with progress!

And yes, I have spoken to the seller but I thought that since he has a vested interest in the watch, there is a small possibility (regardless of his reputation) that he might be trying to get more money than is fair for it ;)

Blog Entries
    Just read the seller's description. Was the "Air" collection really created to honor RAF pilots?
    That's what I've heard elsewhere but I've not investigated the story.

Grand Master
    The gap will appear if the springbar that's been fitted is too thin. This will allow the endpiece to move away from the case. Springbars come in different thicknesses ranging from 1.3mm to 2.0mm. For a fitment like this, there's a correct thickness.....and anything else is incorrect.

Doesn`t sound silly to me, it's perfectly logical.....when you think about it!

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The gap will appear if the springbar that's been fitted is too thin. This will allow the endpiece to move away from the case. Springbars come in different thicknesses ranging from 1.3mm to 2.0mm. For a fitment like this, there's a correct thickness.....and anything else is incorrect.

Doesn`t sound silly to me, it's perfectly logical.....when you think about it!

Paul
    Thanks for the confirmation. It didn't seem silly to me when I asked!

Craftsman
    This is my final question on the matter - do we feel that £1720 seems like a reasonable price for this? (That includes Fedex shipping and insurance).

I suppose it seems about right to me, but I thought I should check!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    This is my final question on the matter - do we feel that £1720 seems like a reasonable price for this? (That includes Fedex shipping and insurance).

Tbh it is towards the top whack of what I'd want to pay.
    Sorry if I've missed this but does it have it's original box and papers etc?
    I have an AKD with box and papers and, if i were to sell it at this moment in time (which I'm not) I would be happy to receive a similar figure.........but mine has a silver dial and you did say you were after a blue dial so I'm a firm believer in paying a bit more if it's exactly what your after.
    Nice looking watch and you don't see the blue dial very often.
    Good luck :-)
    Last edited by gmt 16750; 5th October 2013 at 08:40. Reason: Poor spelling.....

Craftsman
    No box or papers! That's what makes me feel reluctant. I just know that it is the blue dial version that I want and it's relatively scarce (and they do seem to command a slightly greater price than the silver face ones)

Craftsman
    Seems a good price to me (what year is it?).
    You may never find the 'perfect' one.

My Air-King (no date) cost £1,800 and was bought originally in 2006 (so a 2005/6 model with the 1400m movement).

Master
    Nice watch but pricey. It should be mint with b&p at that price, which as you know are hard to come by.

FWIW I bought 2 off Chronomaster for ca £1350 each but eventually the 34mm size became an issue.

Good luck with the search!

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone!

The seller tells me that it's a late 1970s model (1977-1979). That looks to be perfectly believable as far as I can see.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Looks fine to me!

Blog Entries
    The watch looks fine to me - as people have commented - looks like the end-link (which is hollow) needs some adjustment if anything - maybe take it to a good local AD with an on-site Rolex repair person.

I have the exact same watch and wrote a little review here and includes a little about the history that I was able to find on it:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?136001

heer is a recent photo - notice not much gap on the end-link:

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Thanks - it was actually your watch which convinced me that I want one for myself!
    And it's your photos which I showed to my girlfriend which convinced her that I need one

So it's a double thanks - without your photos it probably wouldn't have got past the drawing board!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post

I think that is reasonable if that was the full price - but do factor in a possible tax and duty on top, as it's coming in from the USA - don't be surprised if that adds another 30% onto the price - VAT @ 20% and then duty + sundry costs - there have been long heated debates about this on the forum, but I am just warning you from personal experience. You could get lucky but do set aside another approx £500 for such costs - which makes it not such a good deal.. at £2220.

You may want to check from the seller when it was last serviced and factor that in as well?

Anyway - if that is the watch you want a few hundred either way will be insignificant as long as you plan to keep it - unlike some on this forum that seem to buy/sell on a weekly basis!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th October 2013 at 10:30.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I think that is reasonable if that was the full price - but do factor in a possible tax and duty on top, as it's coming in from the USA - don't be surprised if that adds another 30% onto the price - VAT @ 20% and then duty + sundry costs - there have been long heated debates about this on the forum, but I am just warning you from personal experience. You could get lucky but do set aside another approx £500 for such costs - which makes it not such a good deal.. at £2220.
    It's actually coming from Athens! So it's within the EU.