closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Which of the 5 designs do you prefer?

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll
  • 60mph dial with steel case

124 40.66%
  • 60mph dial with PVD case a polished steel bezel

89 29.18%
  • 120mph dial with steel case

34 11.15%
  • 120mph dial with steel case and polished steel bezel

41 13.44%
  • 120mph dial with steel case and polished steel bezel (alternate dial)

17 5.57%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiths speedometer inspired watch - POLL

2nd option gets my vote. from the date position im guessing this will be a good size watch and with others on the best smiths logo yet.

Can Automatic be replaced with "INSTRUMENTS" and drop the 5 ATM for "MPH"

In my view dial is quite busy with numerals, therefore I cleared minute markers.

And I would bring Smiths logo little bit higher up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    In my view dial is quite busy with numerals, therefore I cleared minute markers.

And I would bring Smiths logo little bit higher up.

Eddie,
    Of all the renders on this thread, I think I like Normunds' modification of your second silver bezel/black PVD case with 60 MPH/minute marker dial best. However, even then, I'd keep the nice early vintage "bridge" style Smiths logo as it is and where it is; dump the "AUTOMATIC" and the "5ATM" as superfluous clutter; and thicken the minute markers a bit at the 05,10, 20, 25, 35, 40, 50, and 55 increments while still leaving your original triangles at 60, 15, 30, and 45 as Normunds has it.

I've by now come to honestly think you always prefer honest opinions as those are the only ones that allow you to accurately reconnoiter and navigate an issue. I'm like that anyway so I'll offer what I really think is the potentially best and most positive feedback I can offer in the end: Though I think the one above isn't bad and quite nice in its way, all of these so far seem a bit of a gimmick to me in that they, for me, start to elude the fact that they are a watch, if that makes sense.

To be influenced by classic motorcycle speedometers or military aircraft instrumentation and such without compromising that it is a wristwatch for telling time, etc., strikes me as the balance best struck. I thought a good example of that would be CP’s more recent iterations of the WWII era aviation instrument inspired Seafire as below (but I’d myself still like to see the “100M” dumped even with it):

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    The latest revision is below, the green will be in the Seafire name and the custom Nato. Green was chosen because the watch was inspired by the dials below.

I agree with this. especially if it came with a chrono and tachy ring with MH rotating bezel! And best of all, if at noon and midnight the main hour/minute hand shot back to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I have to admit I am not a fan of this at all. It looks tacky and awkward. If you absolutely must do something like this, what about making it a single-hand watch, like this?

That would at least make some sense as a pseudo-speedometer. It might even work with a second hand too, to give it some movement - perhaps a thin straight hand the same length as the main triangular one; either both hands the same colour, or one the same as the dial markers and the other the highlight colour.

Three hands all pointing in different directions, on a "speedometer" just seems wrong, especially with the hour and minute hands being different lengths.
    "A man of little significance"

Tricky. I like the idea - didn't we discuss it on the "Seafire" thread? - but not quite sure it all works as a whole.

• The seconds hand is pretty much spot on - instantly recognisable, drawing its design almost exactly from early Smiths speedos. The back end of the hand *could* be just a little longer (perhaps), although it might just be me
    • The markers are great. Again, instantly recognisable from old gauges. Perhaps you might combine them with longer ticks at, e.g. mid-point of the major markers. While adding nothing to the ease of reading, it's quite a nice way to add a bit more interest to the minute track
    • W.r.t. hands - I think these are pretty much spot on; the hour hand already reminds me of the 30mph "white line" that appeared on so many dials
    • I'd probably try not to be too tricksy with the numbering. The most successful of the "speedometer" (or gauge) watches to date (examples from Autodromo, Guiliano Mazzuoli, etc) get across the feeling of a speedo without necessarily looking entirely like one. If the dial had just a few classic elements from Smiths gauges (the yellow, counter-balanced second hand; triangle markers; etc) perhaps that's enough?
    • Given Smiths gauges are still being made by CAI, with the rectangular Smiths logo, a 30's inspired dial, with a different "Smiths" logo might work best if you are differentiate your brand from theirs...?
    • Re the bezel - chromed was good; brass / bronze might also work well

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    I was thinking the same. It's all very well getting inspiration from the aesthetics of the classic Smiths speedos, but I just don't understand the functional point of having 10 through 120 on the dial. It just seems like a gimmick to me. I can just about appreciate why you might have seconds indicated in the context of a military watch, but I don't much like how that layout looks. The rest of it is fine.

Martin

Can you add 'None of the above' to the poll?
    I'm afraid I'm have to agree with the above. If it was just the normal 1-12 I would order this straight away. I understand what you are trying to do but it is a bit of a gimmik to me. Overall the watch is lovely. The case (brushed steel), the crown shape and size, I love the yellow seconds hand and the logo and the railtrack - just lose the 0-60 digits. A watch is a watch, not a speedo, sorry, but just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    ...I'd keep the nice early vintage "bridge" style Smiths logo...To be influenced by classic motorcycle speedometers or military aircraft instrumentation and such without compromising that it is a wristwatch for telling time, etc., strikes me as the balance best struck...
    I'd be happy with either the arched or rectangular "SMITHS" (I've learnt...no apostrophe this time). But, looking at photos it was arched to accommodate another round logo that was eventually replaced with M.A. (anyone know what that meant, please?). So, perhaps, the 5 ATM could be put under an arched logo? "Made in England" generally appeared below the "SMITHS", so might the "GREAT BRITAIN" appear in a similar position?

This example borrowed from the web (OK, I know it's a replica) shows what I'm on about:

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    In my view dial is quite busy with numerals, therefore I cleared minute markers...
    I'm not convinced by the '60' dial and much prefer '120'. If the dial is too cluttered, I'd suggest taking out the 10, 30 ... 110 and putting a thin rectangular marker in their place, leaving only the 20, 40 ... 120 with their triangles, in a similar fashion to the example above.

This example shows what I mean, but uses the odd multiples of 10 rather than the even ones I'm suggesting and doesn't use any triangles; but then, it is an "unusual Smiths 150mph chronometric speedometer" according to Bonhams (to whom my thanks go for the photo):

If only I had the skills to draw this...!

Thanks for asking for our suggestions, Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by muffle View Post
    ...If it was just the normal 1-12 I would order this straight away...- just lose the 0-60 digits...
    I'll meet you half way; how about 01, 02, 03 ... 12?

I would still prefer 20, 40, 60 ... 100, 120 as per my post above, but then I'm a motorcyclist and remember having British bikes with Smiths chronometric instruments.

Motor Accessories.

There was a logo too.

If you think that the speedometer design doesn't work too well as a watch, we could always look at car clocks.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

The first PVD design would be my choice, but I'd prefer a full day window at 12 and move the Smiths logo down a bit, then have the date at 6. This would replicate the mileometer and odometer positions on many Smiths dialled cars i've owned over the years!

By a full day window I mean a bit like the Seiko weekdaters of the 1960's

I don't know how feasable this is with the movements available today though.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Motor Accessories.

There was a logo too.
    Thank you! There are examples of various dials on this page: link. "View details" will bring up a bigger picture of each.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    If you think that the speedometer design doesn't work too well as a watch, we could always look at car clocks.

Eddie
    What...like these: link?

Pah, won't be getting my choice then!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Still trying to decide which version I like, but the day and date window where "Automatic" is currently, would to me seem to replicate the mileometer perfectly. And yes, drop the 5ATM.

And so is this was an option, I'd go for 3 or 4 as being in keeping with the Speedo. I'd get used to reading the dial pretty quickly.

The eight-day Smiths car clocks are quite cool: Breguet hands with a marine chronometer style railroad track; often with sub-seconds at twelve (from memory).

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    ...If only I had the skills to draw this...
    OK, I had a go:

The bit I didn't manage was to change the intermediate markers from triangles into long 'tick marks'. Or are the triangles needed for the lume?
    Last edited by PickleB; 4th October 2013 at 16:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    The eight-day Smiths car clocks are quite cool: Breguet hands with a marine chronometer style railroad track; often with sub-seconds at twelve (from memory).
    Are these them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks Dad View Post
    Genuine question; why would you want a car clock on your wrist?
    Please allow me to finish the sentence, which I genuinely thought was unnecessary.

If you think that the speedometer design doesn't work too well as a watch, we could always look at car clocks for inspiration for a dial design for a wristwatch.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    Great designs - I didn't know what to pick. I opted for the PVD case; I think that's goes great with the look and feel of this watch.

I wouldn't mind owning a desk clock with this design as well. And, in a perfect world, a desk clock that fits (one of) my British-made classic cars as well. In fact, when typing this, I love the Borduhren Komibset from Sinn. A similar set up from Smiths would even be better!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 4th October 2013 at 19:09.

Master
    Please allow me to finish the sentence, which I genuinely thought was unnecessary.

If you think that the speedometer design doesn't work too well as a watch, we could always look at car clocks for inspiration for a dial design for a wristwatch.

Eddie
    No reason you couldn't do both unless they'd look too similar. I like the speedometer idea though and am interested to know how big it might be...?

Or the odd option...

...sorry about the '30'.

^^^^

Oh dear..............
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I prefer the first pvd render that CP posted some weeks ago.
    imo this versions are a total different watch, that lost all the winner and modern look&feel.
    if any of the above, the 1st, but i'll pass it.
    cheers

Please do not let this end up like the grey NATO vote.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by silvax View Post
    I prefer the first pvd render that CP posted some weeks ago.
    imo this versions are a total different watch.
    This is a different watch to the Seafire, not a revision to it.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    ^^^^

Oh dear..............
    Exactly. Makes the Pinion look like a design accomplishment.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Chris.
    The cases do look the same.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Or the odd option...

...sorry about the '30'.
    Not keen on the dial but I do like the day/date positioning. Makes it look more like the mileometer one would find on a speedo. Would that even be possible to implement though?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That looks odd to me with the even numbers missing. I think it would look more balanced with all the numbers.

I like the day date position though but they need making a bit even with the words above... imo of course.

Chris.
    thanks for the info Chris
    but like seikopath said, the case do look the same
    anyways, glad to know!

OK, I had a go:

The bit I didn't manage was to change the intermediate markers from triangles into long 'tick marks'. Or are the triangles needed for the lume?

This is the best so far. As PickleB states, 'something' needs to happen with the intermediate markers and I'd like to see the 5ATM and GREAT BRITAIN move to the lower half of the dial, but yeah, I could definitely go for some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    ...I'd like to see the 5ATM and GREAT BRITAIN move to the lower half of the dial...
    That's where they started off and I'm OK with them there. I moved them to get a look more like the second of the logos commonly used on Smiths instruments, the arched version. Otherwise the arch is empty.

First

Second

Third...which I've just noticed uses a serif font

I think that they're in the right order...

Craftsman
    If it's a day/date then the date should be in red to echo the 10ths on the odometer.

Master
    Great idea! Eddie's #1 would look great on my wrist, IMHO. The #2 is also really nice, but maybe plain steel is a little easier to match with straps down the road. There is a nice nod to the instrument look and while 60 mph may not be a lot, it's faster than my commute allows. The day-date has also become a "yesteryear" function and therefore suits the concept well. And it adds nicely to the instrument look.

cheers,
    Gert

Master
    Having acquired my first one-handed watch this morning and loving the way it evokes the look of a gauge - I must strongly agree with the poster who argued the case for this to be a one-hander. Terrible opportunity missed if not. But 01-12 or 05-60 please. The three digit look is a bit of an assault on the eyeballs. Would lose the day/date as well.

Round the back it might look something like this...

Chris.

^^^ That looks really nice Chris.

I have had a play around with the design using some of the suggested ideas.

1. Without a date.

2. Simple auto type.

3. Some extra colour on the dial.

4. A larger date window.

Just there for some discussion... I really do like the ideas behind this one. Thanks as all ways to Chris and Eeddie for being open to us kicking it all about a bit!

I have a different idea for a strap.

Eddie

Master
    Round the back it might look something like this...

Chris.
    Looks good.

And it's only just occurred to me that the date looks a little like a milometer and really suits the watch.

I have a different idea for a strap.

Eddie
    ohh... do tell??

Nice Vincent. Shouldn't it be PRS-48 though (that was the year the BS was first produced, I think)?

Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    Looks good.

And it's only just occurred to me that the date looks a little like a milometer and really suits the watch.
    Not keen on the bike related back, make that optional please!

Also, I don't get the enthusiasm for a 60 MPH speedo - What is it supposed to be from? A moped?

120MPH is much more in keeping with a Smiths Speedo as well as being more appropriate to a non-chronometer.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 10th October 2013 at 14:19.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    ...I don't get the enthusiasm for a 60 MPH speedo - What is it supposed to be from? A moped?

120MPH is much more in keeping with a Smiths Speedo...
    At the risk of repeating myself...+1

The poll shows two to one in favour of the 60 minute dial, note 60 minute not 60mph –*it's a watch inspired by a speedo on not a watch pretending to be a speedo.

The poll shows two to one in favour of the 60 minute dial, note 60 minute not 60mph –*it's a watch inspired by a speedo on not a watch pretending to be a speedo.
    As I said, I don't understand the enthusiasm, I can read

I'm struggling to think of ANY other WATCH that goes 5,10,15,20... on the main dial. (I'm sure there are some, but...)

12(0) hours is much more in line with normal watch design, surely?

M.

As I said, I don't understand the enthusiasm, I can read

I'm struggling to think of ANY other WATCH that goes 5,10,15,20... on the main dial. (I'm sure there are some, but...)

12(0) hours is much more in line with normal watch design, surely?

M.
    Its just listing the minutes rather than the hours, so I don't see an issue... still relevant and a bit different!

...Also, I don't get the enthusiasm for a 60 MPH speedo - What is it supposed to be from? A moped?

120MPH is much more in keeping with a Smiths Speedo as well as being more appropriate to a non-chronometer...
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Its just listing the minutes rather than the hours, so I don't see an issue... still relevant and a bit different!
    So a 60 minute dial is "a bit different" but an extra zero on digits of a convectional dial is too different?

I know what the poll is showing and I have voted; but my opinion is that I don't like the 60 minute dial and I think that the 120 dial is quite within the bounds of "a watch inspired by a speedo". Indeed, I think it's also a bit different and much nicer.

I think the 120 dial also works well too... in one colour. I'm not that keen on the grey number myself. I just used the 60 example in my versions as that seemed to be ahead in the polls!