Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
Word up Seiko,

Like I totally agree that the primary perceptual cue is normally the position of the hands - which is why I think that many users (Petrus of course aside) find analogue dials quicker and easier to use than digital dials. However, the indices and numerals also convey meaning and if they are ambiguous, or are counter to the users normal habituated model of an analogue dial, then I fear mild cognitive dissonance may result. This dissonance would probably be experienced at best as a slight increase in the time required to read the watch, or if the user is already under cognitive load then frustration or error might also result. In effect I think these designs may introduce noise to signal to satisfy superfluous aesthetic or design objectives. If I were to put this watch into rotation with others with more traditional numbered indexes then there may also be a cognitive cost when I rotate between the two types of design. So like whilst I totally dig the rest of the design daddy-o, for me the numbers are a bummer, the 0-120 scale being least groovy of all.

I agree mate, if it gets on your tits, it gets on your tits, and that will always be the first thing you see. Like having a perfectly stylish Sandoz day/date clone in slate grey with a transfer of your ex-wife on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post

Yes there are a number of watches that carry a 0-60 dial - I'm thinking particularly of the B-Uhrs but I'm sure there are others. I think that these watches fulfil a function where the primary concern is the minute scale rather than the hour scale (the hour hand being sort of vestigial on these designs). The B-Uhrs I'm thinking of have both: the minute around the circumference of the dial and the smaller hour index towards the centre. In this case I think that the minute scale is more prominent for a reason - that is for navigational purposes rather than aesthetic. In this case the design is centred around the display of minutes rather than hours. Whilst this is perhaps useful for a Luftwaffe Navigator I'm not sure that it's a design that works for me. But like I say if the speedo design works well for others then that's just peachy and I'm the one that will miss out.

But I'm in full agreement about the logo - it's dead good.
Dem Seiko Navigators have dem on der dial and it dont cause me no cognitive dissonance anyway berruv.