closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: One of the last PRS-6 arrived - first impression

Master

One of the last PRS-6 arrived - first impression

After the thread about the Unitas movement last week, and after our host mentioned that he had only five PRS-6's left in stock, I took the plunge in spite of financial constraints, and ordered one. I had meant to wait until my 50th birthday in autumn, but obviously the stock would have run out by then, once such a remark was made.
    Ordered the watch during the weekend, Eddie shipped it by UPS from Sheffield on Monday (yesterday), and it arrived here today (Tuesday) in very rural France around lunchtime. Delivery was so fast the watch was still running (it's handwound), and as usual it had been synchronized with Central European time before being shipped. Anyone sending packages to and fro the UK and complaining that it takes endlessly should talk to Eddie and deal with the couriers he uses.
    I had some explaining to do to my significant other (how do you call the woman you have lived with unmarried a lot longer than some people manage to stay married?), but at least once she looked at the watch she said 'Now, that one is really beautiful; I like that style.'
    So do I. I'd seen a lot of pictures of it, but like some other models this is one you need to see in the metal. It's modern, but also retro (Eddie describes it on the invoice as 'retro military'). Just call it a classic watch.
    I'll write up a review, as there isn't any on this model, when I have been wearing it a while. In the mean time... There are now at most 4 new ones left in Sheffield...
    :D

PS Now, Eddie, you can tell us: how many of this one were produced in total?

It's unknown how many were produced. Zeno said there were originally 300 cases then he said there were 500. Not only did he supply me with the PRS-6 but he sold some to other German dealers (don't know how many) and he also changed the dial and sold it as a Zeno. I'm pretty sure that as a "Broadarrow", I've sold less than 100.

I now have only one remaining.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    It's unknown how many were produced. I'm pretty sure that as a "Broadarrow", I've sold less than 100.

Eddie
    Won't be for long then, I guess... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fschwep
    It's unknown how many were produced. I'm pretty sure that as a "Broadarrow", I've sold less than 100.

Eddie
    Won't be for long then, I guess... :)
    You're right there :wink:

Love 'em. Wore mine just yesterday. A classic.

(I'm in brief and to the point mode...)

Nice little watches, I had one for a while and quite liked it but never wore it much, so it had to go. Love the case/crystal profile from the side.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Wow! I was lucky! I'd been eyeing this watch for months and finally found a little extra cash when I ordered it about a week ago, before I discovered these forums and certainly without any knowledge of it's impending scarcity. It now sits on a brown Timefactors Aviator strap on my wrist!

Meanwhile, I've started to noticed how great the PRS-11 in black looks... :?

Craftsman
    I can't believe I didn't order one sooner. The word 'gutted' doesn't quite do it justice... :cry:

Craftsman
    ...and if Eddie is reading this, just how many PRS-53s are there left..?

Quote Originally Posted by Verkitso
    More automatic than hand-wind and not a lot of either.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Grand Master
    :D Fortunatrely I have one stashed away for a future project. :D :D
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Eddie
    Nuts! I planned to pick up a handwound at some point to replace the auto I sold, that might have to move back up the agenda!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

Did a review

Review and pics of my new PRS-6 are in the Review section. I like this watch a LOT. Let's hope it stays that way. I won't try to find out if this one can be destroyed while ballooning, I have my PRS-4 for that (which has not been destroyed yet). I hope it will serve as my everyday watch, with others for more rough, wet or dirty activities.
    Note that in the review, you can see how I wear it with the 2-ring NATO threaded through the 'opposite' way: buckle on 6. That way there is nothing to get in the way or to get scratched on a table top.

Sold out now, Eddie? :P

Yes Frank, sold out now. The last one went back to Switzerland. :D

Eddie

Craftsman
    (continues to kick himself...)

By the way, Eddie, it was me you spoke to on the phone yesterday. I was so gutted about the PRS-6 that I forgot to introduce myself!

:D :D
    Evil laugh ...

Since they are now all gone, I feel it is time for some gratuitous photos from those of us who have them. :twisted:

Craftsman
    Quoll, you're a git. But you knew that already...

;)

looks good on that strap, that's for me :):)

Craftsman
    Well, I should get paid later this week, and when I do, the PRS-53 will be the first thing on my shopping list...!

Quoll, you're a git. But you knew that already...

;)
    Yup. :twisted:

Craftsman
    There's always the Sales Forum, I suppose...

Yes Frank, sold out now. The last one went back to Switzerland. :D

Eddie
    which reminds me; I wore my PRS-17-C when I went to pick up my new Zeno this week, they were very interested in the shop. I hope I didn't stir anything, but I had to mention it was a new one from Eddie, made by Fricker - I didn't mention the war though :roll:

Craftsman
    Forgive this newbie's question, but is there a quality difference between Zeno and Fricker, or do they both occupy the same niche in the market?

I have a few made by both and find then to both be very good quality

Craftsman
    I really, really like the PRS-17, as it looks so damn solid, but it's out of my price range. I either need a better job or a cheaper pastime...

Grand Master
    Forgive this newbie's question, but is there a quality difference between Zeno and Fricker, or do they both occupy the same niche in the market?
    Fricker is a highly-reputed case maker, Zeno has cases made for themselves, wherever.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    Thanks, Martin. Apologies for bombarding you with questions, but would Zeno's cases have to be made in Switzerland for the watches to qualify as being 'Swiss Made'..?

Craftsman
    I had some unexpectedly good news today -- I managed to buy a PRS-6 from the 'Bay for just over sixty quid. Seems to be in good nick, and I should, hopefully, take delivery on Saturday. So, finally, and very belatedly, I've joined the Broadarrow club...!

Master
    Congratulations and a good price :wink:
    paul. :D

Craftsman
    I'd like myself a whole lot more if I wasn't already thinking, 'hey I've saved sixty quid, so I can buy a PRS-10'...

:roll:

Master
    I had some unexpectedly good news today -- I managed to buy a PRS-6 from the 'Bay for just over sixty quid. Seems to be in good nick, and I should, hopefully, take delivery on Saturday. So, finally, and very belatedly, I've joined the Broadarrow club...!
    Good for you, you were so disappointed when the new ones were suddenly sold out that I actually felt a bit guilty for asking Eddie how many were left and causing the rush on the last ones (I really had to jump on the bandwagon myself at a time I would rather not have spent any money, but now that I have it I have no regrets). I saw that one on the Bay this week and indeed it seems to be in good shape, from the description anyway. At 60 pounds/90 euros a good one is a steal!

Craftsman
    No reason to feel guilty -- it was my own silly fault. I'd nearly bought one before Christmas, but I wanted to wait until I'd paid the taxman at the end of January, and then had to wait again for the first cheques to come in (I'm self-employed), so if I'd been more sensible, I would have reached for my credit card and let it take the strain. Either way, it seems to have worked out for the best, and I've saved myself sixty quid.

Until I buy the PRS-10, of course...

Master
    No reason to feel guilty -- it was my own silly fault. I'd nearly bought one before Christmas, but I wanted to wait until I'd paid the taxman at the end of January, and then had to wait again for the first cheques to come in (I'm self-employed), so if I'd been more sensible, I would have reached for my credit card and let it take the strain. Either way, it seems to have worked out for the best, and I've saved myself sixty quid.

Until I buy the PRS-10, of course...
    Precisely my problem too. I'd been eyeing the PRS-6 as a Christmas present to myself, but had to wait thanks to mr. Tax. Fortunately last week one of my customers had just paid a fairly large invoice when this 'watch emergency' came up.
    I also have the PRS-10. It's good value. Inexpensive so you can do stupid things with it and still looking good enough and with sufficient legibility to take it anywhere (except deep under water) in a pinch. Typical backup watch. Note that the battery in mine just ran out, a few months after purchasing it. Must have been sitting in stock for a while. And it must be on a NATO, even an aviator does not sit well due to the angular lugs.

Craftsman
    Sounds like we were both in the same boat. I'm expecting a big-ish cheque tomorrow, or Saturday morning, so I'll have a bit of a think about the PRS-10. Thanks for your comments re: the strap -- it's good to know things like this before diving in and, incidentally, your review of the PRS-6 elsewhere on the forum was similarly informative. Much as I do like the Broadarrow brand, I have to confess that there's a rival for the PRS-10's affections in the shape of the SEIKO Military SNK809K2, which can be had through the 'Bay for about thirty quid all in, and has the robust 7S26 Seiko movement, as well as the day/date combo -- something I really like -- and an exhibition back. I know that some people find these about as subtle as a Ford Capri, but I'm new to watch collecting, and the idea of being able to see the movement holds a strange fascination. I'd be interested to know what you think.

Master
    The Seiko 5 you describe seems a nice watch. Given the price you can't go wrong there. Watcharama has it as well: http://www.watcharama.com/sk059.htm .

Seikos are generally very good value. Not as rare as a Broadarrow of course, but then with the PRS-6 you already managed to scratch that itch :wink: . The only qualms I would have for a real beater would be a) automatic, which is potentially more vulnerable than handwound or quartz, and b) display back, which adds a potential weakness to the case. The PRS-10 is a true beater, the Seiko a nice, affordable watch for general wear, in that sense more a competitor for the PRS-6 than the PRS-10.

Considering point a), autos were invented to allow the production of diving watches with high water resistance and screw-down crowns; having to wind a watch every day, thus unscrewing and rescrewing it, it would wear down the thread in the crown tube too fast. The movement also needed to be more accurate for the same reason (not for precision timing; a second more or less is of no importance during a dive): having to set the watch every day would cause the same problem of excessive wear. When quartz movements were introduced, these practical reasons for having an auto movement in a dive watch were no longer valid. For a real diver used as such, quartz is better, which is why the British military specs for diving watches were changed to specify quartz, as in the PRS-3/4 and the CWC diver.
    A mechanical beater with decent water resistance, say around 50 metres, would be more solid without the added complexity of an automatic winding module, thus as a handwound. The only other reason for having an auto movement is lazyness: you don't need to wind it, as long as you wear it regularly. Do note that many Seiko autos can not be handwound, by the way. You have to shake them into life.

Craftsman
    Fschwep, you have the happy knack of being able to maximise the amount of information in your posts and minimise the superfluous detail without sounding like a talking dictionary. Thanks for that -- very informative. I didn't realise that the 7S26 couldn't be hand wound, and I take your point with regard to the two watches' different merits. Interesting to learn some more about the history of the CWC divers' watches, too. I bought a 1987 vintage CWC G10 a few weeks ago, but it's not in particularly fantastic condition -- the lume has gone, and the case rattles when shaken, although it still keeps perfect time -- but its similarity to the style of the PRS-10 means that I'm leaning towards the Seiko.

?????..

A mechanical beater with decent water resistance, say around 50 metres, would be more solid without the added complexity of an automatic winding module, thus as a handwound. The only other reason for having an auto movement is lazyness: you don't need to wind it, as long as you wear it regularly???...
    ... and another reason is so that the mainspring is running for longer at closer to its optimum, rather than an unwound state.

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    ?????..

A mechanical beater with decent water resistance, say around 50 metres, would be more solid without the added complexity of an automatic winding module, thus as a handwound. The only other reason for having an auto movement is lazyness: you don't need to wind it, as long as you wear it regularly???...
    ... and another reason is so that that the mainspring is running for longer at closer to its optimum, rather than an unwound state.

john
    Which is mostly true from a WIS point of view, but I was talking about the general population who couldn't care less what's inside. For the average person, not having to wind it (i.e. no chance of forgetting) was the unique selling proposition to pick an auto over a handwound before quartz was introduced. And if you have a watch with almost two full days of power reserve and wind it every day, it stays pretty well wound, certainly during the day when you are active and may subject it to vibration; an auto that has been lying on the night table should be less wound in the morning than a handwound that is fully wound by its owner after he brushed his teeth. And an auto that has no handwinding capability probably starts in a very sub-optimal winding state, I suppose, even if you start the day with a lot of violent arm waving. Maybe that's why Japanese factory workers sometimes engage in mass gymnastics to start the day? To wind their watches? :D

Master
    Fschwep, you have the happy knack of being able to maximise the amount of information in your posts and minimise the superfluous detail without sounding like a talking dictionary.

Hey Ailfrid, I think this one was aimed at you. :D

.......... even if you start the day with a lot of violent arm waving. Maybe that's why Japanese factory workers sometimes engage in mass gymnastics to start the day? To wind their watches? :D
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

john

Looks good on a brown Aviator too! :D

Grand Master
    Frank, I sympathize with your view about quartz, handwind and auto (esp. autos without handwinding option).

In fact, i was wondering why I was wearing an auto when exercising the dog today rather than a quartz. :D (The 17-C it will be tomorrow :wink: )

However, there are two disadvantages to quartz: even a small amount of humidity can kill the movement in an instant, and the quartz movement (or rather, its battery) is susceptible to extreme temperatures.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader

However, there are two disadvantages to quartz: even a small amount of humidity can kill the movement in an instant, and the quartz movement (or rather, its battery) is susceptible to extreme temperatures.
    Three, as the movement is not under tension, is more likely to stop if interrupted by the tiniest of flecks, a mechanical will just sail through.

john

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

Three, as the movement is not under tension, is more likely to stop if interrupted by the tiniest of flecks, a mechanical will just sail through.

john
    So this would put handwound and quartz to be overall about equal as beaters for rough use, right? Quartz if you need absolute accuracy and maybe superb shock resistance, manual for when you don't want to risk an empty battery, want good shock resistance and don't care about a few seconds per day. I'd say the humidity matter is solved in quartz divers by having a screwed-down crown, while most handwounds, due to a non-screwed crown, may be more susceptible to moisture entering the case (having said that, I do have an old handwound with non-screwed crown which is rated as 200 metres/20 bar and equipped with an extra shock protection system that makes it strong enough to withstand practically anything).

To return to the PRS-6 itself, it has truly become my daily watch in the 8 weeks or so since I purchased it. It now gets 80 percent wrist time, easily (when the ballooning season starts I'll swap it more often with the PRS-4) . Precision-wise it has settled nicely, too.

Craftsman
    I wore my 20ATM rated quartz for 10 years in high humidity conditions without even the slightest ingress of moisture.

?battery is susceptible to extreme temperatures??? so is the human body of which the wrist (on which I wear my watch) is an important part. I take precautions to avoid extremes of temperature on my skin so the battery issue is a moot point!

In a real-world tool watch, the advantages of a quartz movement FAR OUTWEIGHTH any perceived disadvantages! You can?t honestly say the same about mechanical watches can you! :? They are unreliable, delicate, temperamental, inaccurate and often expensive??. Are these really good attributes for a quality watch????

Extreme thread resurrection!!!!!

Here's my Zeno version that arrives yesterday. It's a 2005 watch that's in virtually new condition: