closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Which of the 5 designs do you prefer?

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll
  • 60mph dial with steel case

124 40.66%
  • 60mph dial with PVD case a polished steel bezel

89 29.18%
  • 120mph dial with steel case

34 11.15%
  • 120mph dial with steel case and polished steel bezel

41 13.44%
  • 120mph dial with steel case and polished steel bezel (alternate dial)

17 5.57%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Smiths speedometer inspired watch - POLL

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    The quilted strap suits this watch with its black dial more than it did the Smiths PRS-35 & PRS-36 (IMO). But my choice would be a TF Rally Strap.
    Totally agree with this. I really like the way this project is developing. Is the 120mph dial the final version?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Totally agree with this. I really like the way this project is developing. Is the 120mph dial the final version?
    In the light of:

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've only got the one at the moment, the others haven't been assembled yet. The picture above was an experiment with HDR, here's a "normal" picture.

...image...

Eddie
    ...I'd say yes, it is...the 10 to 110 dial, with 120 mpg being implied, that is.

In the light of:

...I'd say yes, it is...the 10 to 110 dial, with 120 mpg being implied, that is.
    130 is also "implied" - and beyond if you don't mind adding up ;-)
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    130 is also "implied" - and beyond if you don't mind adding up ;-)
    I was making sure that Rocket Man wasn't misled into believing that the 120 mph dial in question was one of those at the end of the OP.

Love the contrast between the PVD case and chromed bezel, also like the yellow seconds hand. Great design!

Looks good, but I still think it's a shame there's a motorbike on the back (even if it is a pretty awesome bike!)

I await the price with interest...

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Looks good, but I still think it's a shame there's a motorbike on the back (even if it is a pretty awesome bike!)

M.
    The original idea came from a motoring journalist who's written books on vintage motorcycles. He approached me asking if it would be possible to make a watch for vintage Vincent owners and I liked the idea. We played about with a few possible designs and then he disappeared when I refused to give him final say on design so I went ahead on my own. The motorbike was always part of the design.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

The original idea came from a motoring journalist who's written books on vintage motorcycles. He approached me asking if it would be possible to make a watch for vintage Vincent owners and I liked the idea. We played about with a few possible designs and then he disappeared when I refused to give him final say on design so I went ahead on my own. The motorbike was always part of the design.

Eddie
    You'll be able to gauge if there is a wider market once this watch is available. Those of us without an affiliation to any particular marque will like the watch simply for its reference to a vintage motorcycling. Then, there may be requests from owners clubs etc for their own case back, as there was from RE Bomb Disposal for the PRS-18. I'm pretty sure you must already have that in mind.

This is a cracker! Great work Eddie once again!

I'm another that would have preferred the option to not have the motorcycle on the case back, but no deal breaker. My only other wish as always with these new Smiths, would have been to replace the Great Britain with either Sheffield England, or just England. Just the fact that the Welsh made Gt. Britain Smiths were always inferior to the earlier Made in England ones. Again no deal breaker though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Just the fact that the Welsh made Gt. Britain Smiths were always inferior to the earlier Made in England ones.
    I'm not sure that this is a fair statement at all. One shouldn't downplay the importance of the Anglo-Celtic Watch Co, or any of the Scottish plants, in the attempt to build a British watchmaking industry. There is no way that Cheltenham could have survived if it were not being subsidized by other parts of the Group. As for "inferior", does your 12.15 wake you up each morning? Millions of alarm clocks produced in Wales and Scotland did...

Craftsman
    Some will and some won't, you would need to do the engraving with the back attached to the watch to ensure it would line up. As the motorbike is acid etched, this isn't possible.

Eddie
    Thank you for the prompt reply and explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I'm not sure that this is a fair statement at all. One shouldn't downplay the importance of the Anglo-Celtic Watch Co, or any of the Scottish plants, in the attempt to build a British watchmaking industry. There is no way that Cheltenham could have survived if it were not being subsidized by other parts of the Group. As for "inferior", does your 12.15 wake you up each morning? Millions of alarm clocks produced in Wales and Scotland did...
    Yeah fair comment, should really have said generally, in terms of the Smiths watches rather than a broad statement. Still think the association with England on the dial would be better than Great Britain though as that was the broadly considered the best era of Smiths watches. TBH I would be probably be happier still with none of the above on the dial(unless the manufacture takes place there it has little relevance really) but that's another story.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 1st June 2015 at 12:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Yeah fair comment, should really have said generally, in terms of the Smiths watches rather than a broad statement. Still think the association with England on the dial would be better than Great Britain though as that was the broadly considered the best era of Smiths watches. TBH I would be probably be happier still with none of the above on the dial(unless the manufacture takes place there it has little relevance really) but that's another story.
    That's even trickier, I agree.

Given the Chronometric was based on a Jaeger-designed escapement, bought by Smiths in / around 1927, perhaps it should say Anglo-French on the dial? ;)

Looks great Eddie. Is it days, weeks or months before the rest are ready and on sale?

Cheers,
    Adam.

I was making sure that Rocket Man wasn't misled into believing that the 120 mph dial in question was one of those at the end of the OP.
    Thanks, Yes I like the way the dial has turned out, with 'Great Britain' featured prominently on the upper part of the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Looks great Eddie. Is it days, weeks or months before the rest are ready and on sale?

Cheers,
    Adam.
    Are you new here?

The answer is a definite YES and we will have to wait

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Wow - has forgotten about this.

Looks great, I can see this being my first Smith's purchase.

I agree with some that a non-date version would look better from a symmetry and design point of view, and I'm also not so keen on the acid etched bike on the caseback - would look better with a plain one imo, classier & understated, online with the dial design. Not enough to put me off though :)

Craftsman
    This looks awesome, another call out for estimated dates? I was about to buy something else last night until I stumbled upon this thread, now I'm hanging fire in anticipation :)

Quote Originally Posted by edfuller View Post
    This looks awesome, another call out for estimated dates? I was about to buy something else last night until I stumbled upon this thread, now I'm hanging fire in anticipation :)
    I've only received 16 so far with the remainder imminent. 16 isn't enough to do a launch, I don't want to launch it one day and have to announce "sold out" the next.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Fair enough, sounds like we don't have too long to wait :) I'll definitely be ordering one

thank goodness for that!

I saw it on facebook and was just about to go rob some people at the bus stop

M.
    Put it on a NATO and you wont see it

Is it for a 20mm strap?

I've only received 16 so far with the remainder imminent. 16 isn't enough to do a launch, I don't want to launch it one day and have to announce "sold out" the next.

Eddie
    Im not trying to be funny but why not? It would prevent the usual chaos of the shop closing due to unprecedented orders coming in.
    I would have thought drip feeding would be the easy way to go and also help with cash flow.... Then again, what do I know about it.....

cheers,
    Adam.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Im not trying to be funny but why not? It would prevent the usual chaos of the shop closing due to unprecedented orders coming in.
    I would have thought drip feeding would be the easy way to go and also help with cash flow.... Then again, what do I know about it.....

cheers,
    Adam.
    Perhaps upsetting a large number of potential customers on day one of release is not the route our host wishes to go down. Just my own thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    I have just noticed these new Swatch 'speedo' inspired watches for next years collection (from Watch Insider). They seemed not to have gone for any logical notion on the dial of telling time. Obviously Eddie's are far more inspired, but thought it would be interesting to highlight that there is a developing of this idea / style in the wider watch world.

Just out of interest I have ordered the black version of the Swatch Black Brake model whilst not even having an ounce of class compared to Eddie's new effort at under 50 quid it looked an option to explore i'll post pictures once I receive it.

Spent yesterday afternoon with family in Harrogate's Valley Gardens where there was a 40's event going on.

It was nice to see this speedo on an Military Matchless bike:

Craftsman
    Any updates on a ready-for-sale date?

Quote Originally Posted by edfuller View Post
    Any updates on a ready-for-sale date?
    Timefactors is shut until 21st July, so certainly not before then.

M

Craftsman
    Ah dammit, was about to order a couple of straps too, will just have to wait then. Thanks for the update
    Last edited by edfuller; 9th July 2015 at 12:54.

That darn cat!

It seems that Eddie's cats are trying to delay the arrival of this watch: link. Here's hoping for the 21st!

Eddie

^^ not too shabby
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Marvellous!

Master
    Superb!

Master
    I like that.

Indeed looks very nice that. Alas too rich for my budget at yet. One day though...

Excellent work on this one Eddie. Sadly the timing isn't right for my budget so will have to go on the back-burner for now. Really looking forward to seeing the photo's added from new owners this week though.

Really like that, dimensions are pretty much perfect.

Really looking forward to seeing the photo's added from new owners this week though.

Indeed.

I think that's worked out really well.

I sent Eddie an e-mail a few weeks back, not realising he was closed. It looks like he's going to busy now with this release. Bugger!

Does look good, I can't see those first 45 staying around long...

M

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Waiting for TF opens its door.
    They're open...

The wait is over!

From my own perspective the fact that its still a over a week until this months salary goes into the bank ensures that there will be no impulse buying - more time to ruminate on it - especially when the wrist shots start coming in!

For anyone asking for a special number, I have 45 watches between 100 & 199 with many gaps. The eagle-eyed will have spotted that I didn't use the customary number 1 for the pictures because I don't have it yet.

Eddie

For anyone asking for a special number, I have 45 watches between 100 & 199 with many gaps. The eagle-eyed will have spotted that I didn't use the customary number 1 for the pictures because I don't have it yet.

Eddie
    Thanks, I didn't spot that...email sent.

Bob

This appears to be just a design exercise but it's still a bit cheeky.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/9373...adow-Timepiece

Eddie

Craftsman
    This appears to be just a design exercise but it's still a bit cheeky.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/9373...adow-Timepiece

Eddie
    Excuse the pun but not a shadow of your watch. Are there any legal implications for his use of the 'Smiths" name?

Quote Originally Posted by ajpac View Post
    Excuse the pun but not a shadow of your watch. Are there any legal implications for his use of the 'Smiths" name?

The small movement positioned with spokes is an interesting idea.

M.

The small movement positioned with spokes is an interesting idea.

M.
    Didn't an Australian chap do that with a Sopwith Camel engine-themed watch at SalonQP?