closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Westfield restoration - June 2015 update!

The Westfield restoration - Aug 2017 update

The nights are drawing in and once again my thoughts turned to a winter restoration project. ;-)

There was something rather special on the horizon (car) but it now looks to be unavailable until next year, but I'd got another project lined up (motorbike) so I wasn't overly concerned. However, another car turned up: a friend alerted me to something languishing in a barn in a nearby village and suggested I might be interested in it.

So I went to have a look:

Some items did seem a little the worse for wear, due to the barn roof being far from weatherproof:

It's a Westfield SEi, built about 1989 and it had a RS turbo engine in it. (I say ‘had’ as it isn’t actually in the car, as you can see). The owner had passed away earlier this year, some time ago he'd stripped the car down but then left it stored up.

I was told that ‘everything should be all there” (!) but was reassured by the care the late owner had taken over itemising parts:

So, I thought 'what the heck' and agreed to have it. However, there was a slight snag: the chassis wasn’t available to see at the time (it was blocked in behind another barn) but I was assured that it “had been covered up”.

Having collected all the available bits and got them home I awaited the call to go and collect the chassis…

The call finally came and off I went with a trailer and this is what I was confronted with:

And this was after we pulled the undergrowth away. :-(

To be fair, it had been covered up at sometime, but the blue tarp had literally rotted away – so my guess is that 'sometime' was in fact quite a long time...

Now, they say God loves a trier (and my parents always said that I was very trying), so having duly extracted the chassis from the undergrowth and loaded it up onto a trailer we set off home:

It's now on my drive and the fun begins.

To be continued...

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 10th August 2017 at 22:01.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Hmmm..

Whilst I could get the hump over others good fortune, I will watch this with interest mate!..
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Very nice project! So far I haven't seen something which looks really troublesome :-)

Master
    I shall be very interested in this thread.

Now that the summer is over, I'll be back on my RD350 restoration...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I shall be very interested in this thread.

Now that the summer is over, I'll be back on my RD350 restoration...
    Now there's a bike, takes me back to my youth, shocked though when I saw what these are now fetching

Looking forward to this one mate, really enjoyed the tvr :)
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

The chassis is fairly thick gauge, might not be an issue. Get it rebuilt bare minimum style, lose the screen and wipers (use an aeroscreen), then use it for some track days or club motorsport. Autotests and solos are cheap and don't need much power.

Ian

Blog Entries
    If this is heading the way of the TVR thread then it's gonna be good

Now stop messing about and get on with it !!

Looks like a great project, will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Master
    Oops thought this was going to be about the Nairobi shopping mall - sorry, carry on.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Good on you ralphy, looking forward to the updates!, I am on a BMW r60/5 restoration this winter when home.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Good on you ralphy, looking forward to the updates!, I am on a BMW r60/5 restoration this winter when home.
    That'll be older than you, I reckon. ;-)

One went through a local auction earlier this year, must admit it looked a tempting buy: totally original and (I think) not needing much work.

Have fun!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Chassis looks pretty good, a decent sandblast and powdercoat should see it right again! Looking forward to some updates!

Quote Originally Posted by BCD View Post
    Chassis looks pretty good, a decent sandblast and powdercoat should see it right again! Looking forward to some updates!
    I'll be checking the chassis internals today (borescope) as that's potentially the big issue given the exposure to elements this's had - coupled with riveted internal panels. I'm not a fan of powder-coating at all on cars, much prefer to have zinc-coating plus paint and hoping to get the coating done this week (after the blasting).

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 30th September 2013 at 06:55.

Good to see you've made a quick start on this Ralph. I'm looking forward to seeing the project progress.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I look forward to seeing your progress, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Good to see you've made a quick start on this Ralph. I'm looking forward to seeing the project progress.
    The quick start is a priority as the chassis will need to sit outside for a while so I'm keen to get it cleaned & coated asap.

Ready for dissembling & aided by my apprentice:

First off, front suspension and steering rack:

Rear diff:

Front discs & callipers:

Wishbones:

All gear off and ready to tackle the chassis panels:

R

I bet your heart sank when you uncovered that chassis Ralph!

Have you got the whole engine?

I have no doubt it will all be fabulous in the end though but will need a fair few quid no doubt.

Looking forward to the next episode.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I bet your heart sank when you uncovered that chassis Ralph!

Have you got the whole engine?
    I sure hope I have, Neil. However, I'm contemplating changing it in favour of a 2.0 Zetec: several reasons really, including not wanting the turbo-kick of the older engines and also reliability/availability of components. We'll see. ;-)

Chassis: I was a bit taken aback but the deal had been done so heigh-ho. The initial worst part I can see is the cross-members at the drivers feet: the rainwater has laid there and done it's deed:

:-(

The rest initially didn't look too bad, but the priority was to get the panels off and to check the inside of the chassis. The panels are riveted to the frame and that can allow water ingress (especially the centre tunnel ones) on a car that's had the body panels off whilst stored outside:

Drilling out the rivets is a very time-consuming task, enough to take the head off but not too much to enlarge the chassis holes:

And there's bloody hundreds of them to do:

The bottom panels:

As well as the rivets the panels are also bonded to the chassis - and with very effective adhesion at that:

The four of these alone took a few hours:

But finally they were all off:

And with an age spent removing the worst of the sealant (the blasting doesn't work on it too well) the chassis is now about ready: once I've seen the state of the internals and decided whether to cut & replace the cross-members then it'll be blast & zinc time:

Ready to roll:

R

Looks like it could be interesting - good luck!
    Looking forward to how this progresses.

Craftsman
    I really enjoyed the TVR thread, so shall enjoy watching this project unfold.
    wish i had the balls to take on something like this.

Excellent stuff.

I also like how there's a different car in the background of every picture.

What an excellent project! Thread bookmarked for future viewing.

Craftsman

WSCC

Hi, I own a Westfield and if you have not found it already then the Westfield Sports Car Club WSCC website is a mine of information. It is well worth joining the club as this gives you access to more areas of the website & the various discounts available. I hope this assists you in your rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    I really enjoyed the TVR thread, so shall enjoy watching this project unfold.
    wish i had the balls to take on something like this.
    There's a fine line between 'balls' and bravado - and stupidity. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Excellent stuff.

I also like how there's a different car in the background of every picture.
    There's been a number of times when I've had more vehicles than watches!

Quote Originally Posted by jonah View Post
    Hi, I own a Westfield and if you have not found it already then the Westfield Sports Car Club WSCC website is a mine of information. It is well worth joining the club as this gives you access to more areas of the website & the various discounts available. I hope this assists you in your rebuild.
    Thanks, I have already joined and it has provided a lot of useful information; nice bunch of members on there too.

R

You don't hang about Ralphy!

The Zetec 2.0 is probably a decent shout. Good engine.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Awesome! I've had 3 of them! Might have a few spares kicking around at home, will dig then out and let you know what I have, here's some inspiration to keep you motivated!

You don't hang about Ralphy!

The Zetec 2.0 is probably a decent shout. Good engine.
    I'd be tempted to stick with the turbo lump - will give it some 'character'.

Good thread on PH with a Cossie Turbo Westy - just can't find it!

Blog Entries
    Lovely.

I built one in 2000 an SE with super stox 2.1 pinto up front.

Cutting a long story short it has been laid up for years but thinking it will be this winters project. Engine...... Will definitely go the bike route.

Enjoy

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    I'd be tempted to stick with the turbo lump - will give it some 'character'.
    I was thinking of economics TBH.

The original lump (minus head) will no doubt be rusty and will require an overhaul whereas a good 2.0 Zetec out of a Mondeo or whatever could just go straight in.

I'm mean like that.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I was thinking of economics TBH.

The original lump (minus head) will no doubt be rusty and will require an overhaul whereas a good 2.0 Zetec out of a Mondeo or whatever could just go straight in.

I'm mean like that.
    Depends on the power you want too I suppose.
    Zetec with decent TB's & ECU set up will cost close to a couple of K.

Banned
    Wow,rather you than me i admire anyone who takes these projects on.
    Have you done restoration before?

But couldnt you have found a old brough superiour or a Harley wla? Lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Depends on the power you want too I suppose.
    Zetec with decent TB's & ECU set up will cost close to a couple of K.
    Depends what he wants, a 2L Zetec would be 130ish bhp as standard, probably not much less than the turbo engine if it's standard and probably plenty for a Westie.

The issue is it's probably a couple of hundred notes for the Zetec and a whole bunch more for the required anciallaries...

I'm not sure I'd consider refurbing that turbo motor though...

As others have already said the TVR thread was great!

Very impressed at how quickly you've started this new project, and looking forward to the updates

Master
    Very cool project ! Will be following with great interest

Grand Master
    I`ll enjoy watching progress on this thread. Thought he'd had enough after the TVR!

Paul

Blog Entries
    This can become a very interesting thread. As a (more or less) professional car restorer, I'm very happy to see that you tackle this sort of car. Many would have walked away looking at the chassis.

When it comes to blasting, I (we) are currently very much into blasting with dry ice. It has a lot of advantages. Search for 'dry ice blasting' on YT and you'll understand why it's a very interesting alternative to the well known other blasting media. Often, dry ice blasting can be done 'on site'.

Menno

Loved your last restoration thread, Ralphy.
    Looks like you've taken on a fair bit this time. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Loved your last restoration thread, Ralphy.
    Looks like you've taken on a fair bit this time. Can't wait to see how it comes out.
    I must have missed that one.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    This can become a very interesting thread. As a (more or less) professional car restorer, I'm very happy to see that you tackle this sort of car. Many would have walked away looking at the chassis.

When it comes to blasting, I (we) are currently very much into blasting with dry ice. It has a lot of advantages. Search for 'dry ice blasting' on YT and you'll understand why it's a very interesting alternative to the well known other blasting media. Often, dry ice blasting can be done 'on site'.

Menno
    It's interesting you should mention that as the company I'm planning to use offer it as an option (I was contemplating soda blasting with them) so I'll look into it, many thanks.

Today has been vile weather down here and I had to be available for some other commitment, so I decided to press on with some work that I could fit in. I'd had the gearbox given a look-over by a knowledgeable friend and he'd pronounced it as not needing any internal work, so I decided to clean it up & get it looking a bit better.

Steel first...

Elbow grease mainly:

Then a wash off & a couple of coats of paint:

Alloy end...

Rub down then primer

Got started on the back of the diff also...

Crud all cleaned off:

And all under the watchful eye of my workshop apprentice:

R

I thoroughly enjoyed the TVR thread, this promises to be epic, nice one.
    Nigel

Good to see that you used your wife's toothbrush to clean the gearbox.

That cleaner is nasty stuff.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    What did you use to clean up the gearbox, Ralphy?

Craftsman

Blimey

That's one hell of a clean up job to be done, good luck. Can't wait to see the final result. I bet these are great fun to drive.

Deluxe Strawberry Jam, according to the label on the jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Good to see that you used your wife's toothbrush to clean the gearbox.

That cleaner is nasty stuff.
    Marriage is a battlefield, one should strike the enemy whenever and wherever.

White spirit followed by panel wipe.

R

Blog Entries
    Marriage is a battlefield, one should strike the enemy whenever and wherever.
    Yeah, but you have to pick your fights toothbrush carefully.
    And on the subject of war with your wife: can I suggest the dishwasher as the first port of call when it comes to cleaning parts! Dishwasher detergents are a very effective degreaser.

Overhere in Holland, you can buy a cleaning product called 'Dasty'. I don't know if it's for sale in the UK. Originally an Italian brand and it has found his way over to the north. This stuff contains lemon acid and in pure form it even cleans a well-used BBQ grill overnight without touching it with a brush... Just to give you an idea.

Menno

When I had my carburetter and tuning business many eons ago we used to use Applied Chemicals 8/77.

A couple of hours in there and the stripped metal parts would come out like new.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Nice one ralphy.. I know you'll do it proud!

(where the hell do you find these things you lucky beggar!)

The weather has been crap until today, so the last two days were just tarting up some bits n' pieces:

Gear-stick (seized - but a bit of Plus-Gas sorted it)

Front discs stripped

Rust treatment - needs to be timed to 2 minutes

The end result

Rear drum brakes (remember them?!)

The (then) wonder of the 'self-adjusting' handbrake actuators - IIRC worked for about the first couple of years - de-seized, de-rusted and cleaned

The gearbox innards, 5-speed ;-)

Gears looking ok, bearings likewise & just needs a new gasket

R