closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Reverso; gold or steel..?

Reverso; gold or steel..?

In a slight quandary; have been looking for a Reverso Grande Reserve (with the power reserve indicator on the back of the case) and two have hoved into view at good prices; one in steel, one in rose gold.

I have owned a few Reversos before, love the design but never had the 'one', hoping this will be it. The gold is over twice the price of the steel one as expected but as I am moving into a 'dressier' watch phase at the moment, I wonder if the gold will suit me more and actually get worn more. I am quite happy wearing gold as a daily as I work in an office. And I am never going to wear it with shorts and tshirt whether steel or gold so it will always be a dressier piece.

Do you feel Reversos are a dress watch, pure and simple? In times gone by, they were the ultimate sports watch so steel supports that claim; but they're so dressy by modern standards that I think the gold looks great. But 'double the price' great..? Both are on brown alligator.

Opinions? How would/do you wear your Reverso?

Master
    I would go for steel, simply because reverso looks great without all the gold! Gold does make it more dressy and buy it if you will wear it.
    The last time I bought a reverso, I had the choice of steel or RG and felt I can't justify the doubling in price. Mind you it is better value that other brands as there is more gold involved in the reverso case and they come with deployment, rather than tang buckle.

Master
    If you can afford it go gold on a dress/dressier watch.

Rose gold would be my choice.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    If you can afford it go gold on a dress/dressier watch.
    Part of the problem is; I can afford the steel one, the gold one will take some financial manoeuvring which isn't good timing for me...

I think if I buy the steel, I will want the gold. If I buy the gold... yeah, that should work :(

Craftsman
    nice dilemma!

I'd plump for steel. I have the 1931 Tribute (black dial, ultra thin) reverso as well as the Reverso GMT which I have in steel on a Camille Fornet ostrich strap - this way it looks good either with suit or casual in my book.

Banned
    Gold is the new steel. dress watches should be gold YG RG never W/G.

I think Reversos are more commonly associated with steel. I have the Grande GMT in steel and it's a great-looking watch, and would pass as a dress watch.

It's still authentically a Reverso in steel, but if you must have the gold version you'll just have to find the money!

Craftsman
    I think that if you can justify it, you should buy the gold one. You'll regret it later on if you don't. But if you can balance the budgets, you'll be glad that you have it.

And by the way - quite a first world dilemma ;)

Reversos seem to work well in steel or gold. Think u will be happy with either.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I bought the Gran Sport retrograde chrono in YG. Looks and feels great.

I don't think of the 8 day Reversos as dress watches as they are a little thick....so I'd go for steel. The thinner Reversos look great in gold, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I don't think of the 8 day Reversos as dress watches as they are a little thick....so I'd go for steel. The thinner Reversos look great in gold, however.
    Interesting... It's at a dealers so I can look at the gold one but don't want to waste the other guys time unless I'm sure as it's a private sale.

Sad as it is, a gold Reverso has been on the wish list since the opening 5 minutes of the Thomas Crowne remake :)

I have had a Sun / Moon and GMT in grand taille and currently have a GranSport chrono which will be making way for the prospective purchase. I find the GS just slightly too small for what I feel comfortable with and want to go back to grand taille.

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    It sounds like you want a gold Reverso.
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a gold Reverso Grande Reserve. Most Reverso Grande are suited in steel imo & simpler/less complicated Reverso are good for precious materials.
    I like this one as it's just about the most simple of the grand taille watches - time only on the front with just those lovely offset seconds...

Master
    Both steel and RG look nice but in terms of dressiness, I think the RG wins (IMO anyway )

Good luck solving your lovely dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

Sad as it is, a gold Reverso has been on the wish list since the opening 5 minutes of the Thomas Crowne remake :)
    I remember seeing my first Reverso in Brookside!!!

Master
    Part of the problem is; I can afford the steel one, the gold one will take some financial manoeuvring which isn't good timing for me...

I think if I buy the steel, I will want the gold. If I buy the gold... yeah, that should work :(
    I know what you mean, Im after an AP and can afford the SS one soon but I know I really want the gold and so later will have to sell the SS and keep saving to get the gold so Ive decided to just forget the SS and keep saving for the one I really want even if it takes a fair while longer.

And the Thomas Crowne film is fantastic far better than any bond film Pierce made.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have a gold Reverso duo grand taille. In wearing it on a brown Hirsch leather while I source a croc or alligator strap but to be honest, I've just been away for the weekend with an orchestra and no one has noticed or comments on it. I've always worn a Rolex before and it always gets commented on.

I like the gold.

Steel for me, on a tan ostrich strap one of the classiest dress/smart casual combos out there IMHO.

Craftsman
    Regarding Reverso, if you can afford one in gold, get one in gold, they just look classier that way.

Journeyman
    I too would say gold for a more 'dressier' look. In general, I also think the Reverso's look far better in gold than in silver.

Grand Master
    Gold watches are disproportionately more expensive than the steel versions, and that's always been the case. If I was the OP I`d ask myself whether I really liked gold watches before committing......could prove to be an expensive mistake! Personally, I love gold watches and I own a few vintage ones.....but I`m not a Reverso fan so this wouldn`t be on my list.

Before buying any JLC I suggest checking the service costs..........very few people (other than JLC) will touch them.

Paul

Craftsman
    Other than the Tribute to 1931, I don't think that the other Reversos look good in gold. But if you know you will regret it, find a way to get it now.

Well it's done and dusted; did the deal through Watchfinder who sourced it for me and sold it to me at a better price than the actual dealer who had it :) Funny old world...

It's on it's way for a check up now so all being well it'll be on my wrist next week. Couple of seller pics for now:

Yes I like gold watches and yes I understand the costs of servcing a JLC; it's not cheap, but then I have seen what goes on at the manufacture and am happy with the costs - plus most can be done by Richard at the boutique on Bond Street (although he won;t touch my Duometre - JLC want them back as they're still new, to see how they're doing!)

That is a very nice watch - congrats

Master
    Congrats! Looks wonderful!

Was about to post about how they look better in steel because it's more in keeping with the Art Deco looks, but damn that does look great in yellow gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Was about to post about how they look better in steel because it's more in keeping with the Art Deco looks, but damn that does look great in yellow gold!
    Trick of the light - it's rose gold, which Mrs Yeti likes as it matches the wedding ring she bought me :)

Master
    Trick of the light - it's rose gold, which Mrs Yeti likes as it matches the wedding ring she bought me :)
    The rose gold and brown strap combo is really growing on me.

Craftsman
    I was going to suggest steel, but having seen the pictures I think you have made a good choice. As long as you can "pull off" wearing gold, since not everyone can these days.

Craftsman
    Looks very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Rano85 View Post
    As long as you can "pull off" wearing gold, since not everyone can these days.
    I have a couple of golds, both bought in the last few months... think I reached a certain age it suddenly seemed OK; I like the weight, I like the look, and seeing as generally dress like a tramp, I assume they just look like high street fashion watches to others.

I wouldn't have entertained the thought of a gold watch a year ago, big shift for me with much of my collection heading out to get into them.

Craftsman
    I have a couple of golds, both bought in the last few months... think I reached a certain age it suddenly seemed OK; I like the weight, I like the look, and seeing as generally dress like a tramp, I assume they just look like high street fashion watches to others.

I wouldn't have entertained the thought of a gold watch a year ago, big shift for me with much of my collection heading out to get into them.
    I have always looked at gold as very much an "older" gentleman's choice, especially when there is a lot of it, i.e. bracelet as well. Once you reach a certain age, I think you are pretty safe to wear it. On younger types it's a bit more dangerous and you run the risk of looking like a poseur. But it really depends on the specific watch and how you wear it.

I would never have entertained the thought of a gold watch at my relatively young age, but then I came across a vintage Omega and in I went. It's small and classy enough that I am comfortable wearing it without feeling like a bit of a knob, and the brown strap helps to tone it down a bit. I would think that the same would go for the Reverso though I don't know what size it is.

I haven't quite reached the gold bracelet age yet (I'm 39) but I do keep looking at this... http://www.hackettwatches.com/hw/items/PART8NTMEA

Retro cool or try-hard cheap bling..?

Something about a Constellation and that observatory logo makes me feel good.

Craftsman
    I haven't quite reached the gold bracelet age yet (I'm 39) but I do keep looking at this... http://www.hackettwatches.com/hw/items/PART8NTMEA

Retro cool or try-hard cheap bling..?

Something about a Constellation and that observatory logo makes me feel good.
    i think anyone under the age of 50 would struggle to pull that one off, but I am willing to be proven wrong... It's very, very, very gold...