closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Speedmaster really is very versatile...

The Speedmaster really is very versatile...

I love the feeling one gets upon changing the strap on a much loved watch and being favourably surprised... I've always looked at the Speedmaster as a fundamentally functional watch, at its best on a bracelet, NATO or GGB Velcro, and that's the way I've always worn mine; I've got a nice brown calfskin strap which looks, y'know, OK-ish, but it never really did much for me, aesthetically speaking. The colour wasn't ideal and the gap between the case and the straight end of the strap made the whole thing look a bit gawky.

I ran across a clapped-out alligator deployment strap which had originally graced my Hour Vision - I had replaced it because it was worn and a bit scruffy looking, chucked it in a drawer and forgotten about it. The strap has curved ends and is well padded at the lugs, which makes it fit the case beautifully. After fitting it I was genuinely surprised by how well it suited the watch. It looks... Smart. Not dressy exactly, but very smart.

So, yet again I find myself blown away by the versatility of the Speedmaster design: on nylon or steel, it's sporty and functional, and on alligator it's suddenly ideal wear-with-a-suit material. I've said it before, but they really got it right with this one.

A few quick iPhone pics to illustrate the point:

Master
    The strap compliments the Speedy very well and as you have said really shows it versatility. It's a great feeling when a strap can completely change the look of a watch and rekindle the love :)

This is it, the Speedy is rapidly becoming a real favourite of mine on the odd day I can prise it off my wife's wrist...

As an aside, I'd meant to put this in the straps sub-forum. D'oh.

Master
    Yep, the Speedy suits almost anything. Exactly why I have a pile of different nylon and leather NATOs for mine!

Master
    Damn! Every time I have just about decided what (non-Speedy) watch to buy, someone posts another great picture of the Speedmaster Professional. The thing is, I just know that the manual wind, hesalite crystal and lack of date function will start to annoy me eventually...

Master
    But they're the best bits!!!

Master
    I've decided, I'm going to try one on in a local AD - see how I feel about it then.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rumpus View Post
    Damn! Every time I have just about decided what (non-Speedy) watch to buy, someone posts another great picture of the Speedmaster Professional. The thing is, I just know that the manual wind, hesalite crystal and lack of date function will start to annoy me eventually...
    All the reasons for having one

It would be awful with a date on it

I have trouble with my hands and i can wind mine

Hesalite looks good and cleans up

Banned
    I took mine of the strap today and put it on NATO.
    This is the best model imho 70s with a stepped dial and light wabi.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post

Well, my reasons for buying one would be that it looks great, has genuine historical significance, a robust movement, is just the right size, isn't ridiculously thick like most modern automatic chronographs, dresses up or down very easily, doesn't attract unwanted attention and is pretty well priced...But I get your point!

I'd echo Soapy's points - these features make the watch for me. Before I bought one I was concerned that the lack of date would drive me mad, and the hand-winding would be a pain. I was incorrect, on both counts.

Seriously, try one on.

I've got mine on today and it's a favourite (not quite up there with the Cosmonaute, but we all have a love ).

I got mine on a strap and it looked great, but I kept thinking maybe it'd look good on a bracelet and got a cheap Alpha one to try it out.

"Trouble" is the Alpha bracelet is so good, I've never bothered changing back or trading up!

Great watch, truly one of the most iconic ever and, like the Rolex Sub, such a wearable watch.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The 'gator is all I wear mine on nowadays. I actually bought it that way, the model number is 3870 50 31 for anyone interested.

Banned
    Well, my reasons for buying one would be that it looks great, has genuine historical significance, a robust movement, is just the right size, isn't ridiculously thick like most modern automatic chronographs, dresses up or down very easily, doesn't attract unwanted attention and is pretty well priced...But I get your point!
    Those are very good reasons as well of course

Journeyman
    Thanks for sharing! Always nice to see some Speedy pics. Once I get access to SC I will start to have a look around for one myself, if I'm not happening to get a new one before that..

I bought the 3870.50.31 new a couple of years ago - it does look brilliant. Trouble is, the 'gator strap doesn't last forever and when you go looking for a new one... well, you just wish you had paid a little bit more for the bracelet.
    Last edited by SternG; 28th September 2013 at 13:45.

Master

My essential watch criteria include:
    Central minute hand for chronos
    Auto, or quartz HEQ
    Preferably, titanium
    Excellent WR
    Quick-set hour hand and / or quick-set date
    Sapphire with Double ARC, preferably sitting flat and below the level of the bezel, for protection

The Speedy has none of these, which makes it different from all my other watches, which is what ensures it keeps it place in my line-up. I really love acrylic now, and about the only thing that might supplant it is a matte acrylic Sub or SD. And the Speedy IS incredibly versatile in terms of strap selection. If you're getting a new Speedy, I can't see the point of getting anything other than the 3570.50, except, perhaps the HB-SIA Solar Impulse, if you want a titanium travel watch...

Master
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. I have seen many many pictures of the speedy on all different type of strap and it always looks right, just like it was designed for that strap only.

The Speedy seems to look wonderful on every strap I try with it... it's like having a multitude of different watches.

Master
    Well, after the comments on this thread I decided to try a Speedy pro at the Terminal 5 Omega boutique, I liked it very much and as of today I now have one on my wrist! It's on the bracelet for now but I think that couple of different straps will be on my future buy list...

The one thing that lets a Speedmaster down is the negligible water resistance, other than that

Master
    The speedmaster is awesome, still yet to own one! But it looks the best on alligator strap or the racing strap.

Agreed, possibly the most versatile and chameleon like of all watches.
    I habitually wear mine on either the 1998/849 bracelet or on one of Eddie's TF rally straps.

However I'm awaiting delivery of a Cousins' Bellini alligator (S32152) for yet another different look.

The brown Nomos shell cordovan, also looks good on it.

Last edited by dkpw; 19th November 2013 at 20:24.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Grand Master
    Normally I`d never put a diver or chrono on straps, I`m very much a 'bracelet' fan. However, I`ve worn a Speedy on a strap whilst testing it after service and I was impressed, it definitely works. My own Speedy is a 3510:50 reduced and I`ve never considered the strap option till now.

Definitely has to be black IMO; brown straps and black dials are a no-no for me.

Also considering a deployant, which I always thought was a poor idea.....till I tried one.

Paul

I'm really pleased with mine on the oem rallye, which I waited a long time to get my hands on:

Got to say I like it on bracelet as well, which seems less popular :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    The one thing that lets a Speedmaster down is the negligible water resistance, other than that
    I think it's a bit much to claim the water resistance is 'negilgible'! I`ve tested one to 5bar, and that wasn`t a new watch. I reckon that's enough for most folks.

If you want to know what negligible water resistance is, try looking at vintage watches with pitted cases which stop the gasket sealing properly. I`ve had them fail at 0.5bar despite my best efforts. The final test is the 'splash test' where the watch is immersed in water (just) and tested for steaming up or leakage. Had one last week and that's all it managed to pass.....but I can call it splashproof with a clear conscience and clarify this with the owner. That makes a huge difference because it won`t let water in if splashed whilst washing up etc.

Unless you really intend swimming/diving in the watch, the water resistance of a Speedy is absolutely fine. Everybody gets hung up on the water resistance thing; in reality you have to see it in the context of how the watch will be worn.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think it's a bit much to claim the water resistance is 'negilgible'! I`ve tested one to 5bar, and that wasn`t a new watch. I reckon that's enough for most folks. If you want to know what negligible water resistance is, try looking at vintage watches with pitted cases which stop the gasket sealing properly. I`ve had them fail at 0.5bar despite my best efforts. The final test is the 'splash test' where the watch is immersed in water (just) and tested for steaming up or leakage. Had one last week and that's all it managed to pass.....but I can call it splashproof with a clear conscience and clarify this with the owner. That makes a huge difference because it won`t let water in if splashed whilst washing up etc. Unless you really intend swimming/diving in the watch, the water resistance of a Speedy is absolutely fine. Everybody gets hung up on the water resistance thing; in reality you have to see it in the context of how the watch will be worn. Paul
    +1

The Speedmaster would suck if it was a divers watch, but it...isn't..

Grand Master
    Pitting is the problem I had with an old Heuer diver recently. Originally rated for 200m/20 bar, it had significant corrosion on the back near the caseback aperture. any closer and there's no chance it would have taken 5 bar, let alone 20. As it happened, the metal near the threads and around the lip where the casebacks cinches down was OK - and I was rewarded with tightness to 10 bar, which is enough for most use, including a swim.

Not sure I could wear a watch that couldn't stand an accidental dunking; I need the certainty of survival. A box-fresh Speedy would probably be OK but not sure I'd risk it, which is why I'd take the automatic, with the co-ax column-wheel 7753 Turbo movement.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    Always liked the Speedy,took a while to take the plunge tho,but got to say just looks bloody great.love it on the bracelet,but presently on a GasGasBones NASA Velcro for that dressed down look for a change.

Rubber or leather not for my Speedy tho,does now't for me.

Unless you really intend swimming/diving in the watch, the water resistance of a Speedy is absolutely fine. Everybody gets hung up on the water resistance thing; in reality you have to see it in the context of how the watch will be worn.

Paul
    Absolutely, a freshly serviced or new Speedy Pro rated at 5 bar, should be able to cope with, to quote Omega's WR guide; "Water splashes, rain, strong exposure to water and submersion in water." Snorkelling, scuba and compression diving are not recommended. :)

Chris Parker bravely demonstrated this on a recent Friday thread, which I think qualifies as submersion in water. Nonetheless, his shot still makes me rather nervous...

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

This thread has confirmed that my Racing Dial MkII is short finals to being traded for a similar vintage 'proper' Speedy Pro. Unfortunately there's only funds for one Speedy in this house!

Well, after the comments on this thread I decided to try a Speedy pro at the Terminal 5 Omega boutique, I liked it very much and as of today I now have one on my wrist! It's on the bracelet for now but I think that couple of different straps will be on my future buy list...
    Sorry to "lower the tone"! so to speak!
    Did you buy it "duty free"? If so was it a better price than at an A.D. or not much in it? I ask as Ive only recently got "into" watches and Im going away (via terminal 3) in January. If the duty free price is a lot better than at an A.D. I could well treat myself! Thanks!

Master
    Definitely has to be black IMO; brown straps and black dials are a no-no for me.
    I used to agree with you, but brown straps on a trit dial speedy just work amazingly well in my opinion - nicely vintage. I'm not sure it's as good on a fresh and bright SL dial though...

Quote Originally Posted by CH47Driver View Post
    This thread has confirmed that my Racing Dial MkII is short finals to being traded for a similar vintage 'proper' Speedy Pro. Unfortunately there's only funds for one Speedy in this house!
    FWIW, my Ed White is one of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen... makes me catch my breath when I look at it sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Did you buy it "duty free"? If so was it a better price than at an A.D. or not much in it? I ask as Ive only recently got "into" watches and Im going away (via terminal 3) in January. If the duty free price is a lot better than at an A.D. I could well treat myself! Thanks!
    I can't recall the exact price (Although I found a thread on another forum saying they got one for £2400 which sounds familiar), but I can confirm the T5 price is cheaper than ADs.

That said, some haggling at an AD might well see you getting as good a deal.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    I am really enjoying my new Speedmaster, whether it is on the bracelet, or black Di Modell Rallye. It's a true classic and nice that it is so versatile. I really must try it on a few other straps!

Master
    No - I bought it at a better price from Iconic watches....

No - I bought it at a better price from Iconic watches....
    Cool!

Thanks for that..........so I wont be mooching around looking at Omegas in terminal 3 in January then!

Craftsman
    So nice to see so many diffrents style of wearing the speedy

I've never tried my Speedy on a rally strap - it looks really good, think I'll get one ordered. Have a double spined (?) Omega croc for it and it looks fabulous on that, so vintage (it's a 1985 model). Haven't worn it since Moon landing day in July, maybe the strap will get it back into rotation again.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I've never tried my Speedy on a rally strap - it looks really good, think I'll get one ordered. Have a double spined (?) Omega croc for it and it looks fabulous on that, so vintage (it's a 1985 model). Haven't worn it since Moon landing day in July, maybe the strap will get it back into rotation again.
    What wrist size are you? It can look weird on anything <7" because of the way the strap is attached to the case.

In Heathrow T5 at the moment, the speedy is £2880 rrp and £2400 duty free.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    In Heathrow T5 at the moment, the speedy is £2880 rrp and £2400 duty free.
    It's £2230 at Iconic Watches....

Craftsman
    Is there anywhere I can find an easy reference comparison chart or something for the different (current) versions of the Speedy and what they are? Or is anybody able to put together an idiots guide for me?

I've gathered the 3570.50 is the acrylic crystal manual wind 42mm version , and I think what many people regard as a 'proper' Speedy (I think), but interested to be able to compare side by side.

Cheers

Dan
    Last edited by danoafc; 20th November 2013 at 18:23.

Different coloured faces work too.

But this hasn't stopped me considering having this converted back to black. As I have all the parts. Hahaa
    Last edited by gunslinger; 20th November 2013 at 18:37.

Craftsman
    I had looked at the Omega site (which is no mean feat on an iPhone) but it's not easy to do a side by side comparison, instead you have to flick back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    What wrist size are you? It can look weird on anything <7" because of the way the strap is attached to the case.
    Sub 7" wrist :(

I know what you mean, all I seen is the head of the watch as there's no wrist either side!

I'm bound to have some 20mm straps to have a play around with anyway.